Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pickles

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Pickles »

darkblade986 wrote:Got my playstation and my computer running these now that I'm on campus. Playstation has already gotten 1 WU in and my computer is about 25% through its first as well. Off hand, anyone know how I can make F@H use both cores of my dual-core processor? Or would I just have to have another instance of F@H running on the second core if I wanted to use them both?
Install 2 F@Hs, but put them in different directories. That is, say, put one in "C:/Program Files/Folding@Home" and put the second one in "C:/Folding@Home." Also make sure to assign different machine IDs in the F@H control panel, but I think it does that automatically if you run more than one client. Also, it is recommended that you leave one core free to work with your vid card if you are also running the GPU client.

1 moderately good CPU, 1 8800gtx, 5 really OLD CPUs.
Palodin

Post by Palodin »

darkblade986 wrote:Got my playstation and my computer running these now that I'm on campus. Playstation has already gotten 1 WU in and my computer is about 25% through its first as well. Off hand, anyone know how I can make F@H use both cores of my dual-core processor? Or would I just have to have another instance of F@H running on the second core if I wanted to use them both?
I believe the SMP client would use both cores properly, but I think they recommend that you have a quad-core for it. Should work with a Dual though. Be aware though if you want to use your computer for games etc, the SMP client isn't as happy to give up cycles as the normal one I've found, so you'll probably have to turn it off when you go into a game.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Palodin wrote:
I believe the SMP client would use both cores properly, but I think they recommend that you have a quad-core for it. Should work with a Dual though. Be aware though if you want to use your computer for games etc, the SMP client isn't as happy to give up cycles as the normal one I've found, so you'll probably have to turn it off when you go into a game.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP
This would have all the cores working on the same WU...but that really is recommended for quad-cores. Having two different regular CPU clients, independently working on 2 different WU, would give better results on a duo-core CPU time-per-work-unit wise. Or so Google says. Besides, SMP is still in beta, you have more chances of loosing your work with an SMP client than with a set of regular CPU clients..I've already lost several work units worth of time with my GPU client, which too is still in beta.

JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

You can either run two F@H clients, or set up the SMP client. Two normal clients is probably easier for a dual core.
darkblade986

Post by darkblade986 »

If that's the case, then I think I'll just stick with the single process. This is my school laptop (self purchased, mind you), so I should probably keep that one core free for whatever else I'm doing. Thanks anyways.
XtC

Post by XtC »

Is there something wrong with the servers? Apparently i've folded about 4 WU's of work but it won't register on the website :/ tried the forums there but its like everyone has to general of an answer
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

XtC wrote:Is there something wrong with the servers? Apparently i've folded about 4 WU's of work but it won't register on the website :/ tried the forums there but its like everyone has to general of an answer
As far as I know, it updates every 4 to 6 hours. Be patient, we all get increases in our e-peens at the same time :D

Kota

Post by Kota »

If you have a fast Dual Core, I'd use the SMP client. I use SMP with GPU on my e6750, so I can't even get 100% on both cores (CPU feeds data to the GPU, using some processor time). OC'd to 3.2ghz, I get over 1k PPD on SMP while being used (net, etc.). 1.2k when I'm not on.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Campus power outages make me a sad panda. I had a 2100 point WU slated to finish this weekend and I came in to the office to find my desktop all silent-like.
darkblade986

Post by darkblade986 »

DuaneMoody wrote:Campus power outages make me a sad panda. I had a 2100 point WU slated to finish this weekend and I came in to the office to find my desktop all silent-like.
I know exactly what you mean. Last year alone, there were at least 3 distinct power outages on campus, including one that left the campus on very limited power for about 3 days. I may not have lost anything important in them, but I did lose a 100% game completion file in Burnout: Paradise because it was in the middle of saving was the outage occurred.

I got my playstation cranking 20+/7 at this point on these things - I'm not paying the electric bill, so I leave it run throughout the day while I'm at class and overnight when I'm not using it. I started it mid-day Saturday and I think its already gotten 7 251 point WUs in in addition to the however-many points one my computer got in this morning.

Btw, how do you get WUs that are worth more points? My playstation always would get the 251s and I'm not sure what value my computer's one was (it was a 1500 progress one).
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

darkblade986 wrote:Btw, how do you get WUs that are worth more points? My playstation always would get the 251s and I'm not sure what value my computer's one was (it was a 1500 progress one).
I don't know. I do know that over time the app starts downloading more and more clients, and my educated guess is that the app and server jointly make assessments of how worthy your PC is of a particular client -- and the kinds of WUs those clients can solve.

People who actually know what the hell is going on, feel free to laugh at me and correct where necessary.
Bara

Post by Bara »

darkblade986 wrote:Btw, how do you get WUs that are worth more points? My playstation always would get the 251s and I'm not sure what value my computer's one was (it was a 1500 progress one).
The PS3 Client only recieves WU that are optomized for the Cell processor inside it. They will almost invariably be the same size and points. The ones that give different numbers are the ones run on desktop computers. They come in three varieties and are: the Unicode Client, the SMP Client (Multicore), and the GPU Client (requires a Nvidia or ATI graphics card that supports it).

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

DuaneMoody wrote:
I don't know. I do know that over time the app starts downloading more and more clients, and my educated guess is that the app and server jointly make assessments of how worthy your PC is of a particular client -- and the kinds of WUs those clients can solve.

People who actually know what the hell is going on, feel free to laugh at me and correct where necessary.
I know for a fact that that the type of WUs you get changes over time, depending on how your machine works. At first, one of my old PCs at work (an ancient IBM machine with a 1.8 GHz single core CPU) was only getting 150k..250k step WUs tops. Now, I'm guessing after whatever dictates who gets what WUs picked up that my sluggard was actually slugging 24/7, that same machine regularly gets 1 mill step WUs, with 1.5mil steps being the largest WU that that particular machine got. I think the largest CPU work unit done amongst all my machines was 3 million steps.

Heh, I get so proud thinking of my large array of PCs folding at work...until I realize that my single home GPU client puts out trice as many PPD as 5 CPU clients at work. Then start planning on having my home PC folding 24/7, but dismiss that based on the electric bill (would be better to write a 4 figure check to some protein research lab every month than folding at home without pause). I then try to cheer myself up by reasoning CPU clients and GPU clients handle different types WUs, and that both types are needed to cure cancer, progress SCIENCE, etc etc....but it doesn't really work and I still feel down a bit after comparing the PPD :(

Bara

Post by Bara »

My 2 desktop folders are temporarily cut off from recieving new WU's. They are to finish up the WU's they are working on so I can try and optimize some stuff inside the cases. I'm expecting to not be submitting WU results for 2 to 3 days. This is figuring I don't get a fit of brillance and "fix stuff so good" it stops working alltogether. :oops:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Kota

Post by Kota »

It doesn't matter which WUs you get, for the most part. Ones worth more points are typically harder, and take longer, giving you a roughly equal PPD. Some WUs really are slower, and lower your PPD (especially noticeable on the GPU client). Others are faster. However, the amount of frames and worth of the WU has little bearing on whether that WU is better or worse for your PPD, your overall output.

Hey guys, give this a read:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphi ... t-matter/1

All about the science behind F@H.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.