Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ubergeneral

Re: Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

Post by ubergeneral »

Juno wrote:Ubergeneral's disability is being unable to type and fight at the same time. Confirmed. :mrgreen:
I'll admit it. FIghts are pretty intense.
Callonia

Post by Callonia »

ubergeneral wrote:
Callonia wrote:My answer to that, is yes. For myself, I'm deaf, and also been deaf since I was born, so deaf girls isn't a problem for me at all :P And well, for missing limbs, I have no idea, because I haven't any experience with dealings of people with missing arms or legs..

You can walk past them all the day and not know at all unless they were signing.. whenever a hearing person talk to me or speak to me any time during whenever I'm walking to somewhere they usually panic a little bit coz its always right out of blue for them as they learn that I'm deaf, I tend to reply back with my text from my cell phone. They're always hesitant though.. XD

As for music, I LOVE MUSIC, I can't get enough of it ever. I'm planning on getting a boombox and subwoofers so that I will always get to enjoy music whenever I feel like it, however I bet it would get annoying to listen to some music 24/7 so on and off there. Dunno but music just raises my spirit, all I miss out on is just the lyrics? I know I cannot fully appreciate the music but, I enjoy the music. I've listened to enough music to differ which one are upbeat and which ones are sad or wild.

Edit: Oh yes.. one more thing.. my deafness just simply vanishes whenever I'm on internet Been a top raider on wow, people always surprised to learn that I'm deaf. But never changes anything XD Mostly coz internet communication is done over text.
OK i'll bite. If you are deaf then how do you listen to music? I understand you could feel vibrations if the music is loud but that's not listening to it.

And I find it hard to believe that you are a top raider. While it's true that deafness disappears while on the internet for a raider hearing is important because they typically use vent (read voice chat)

During a fight it's hard to type so this program is used to call out things quickly. I'm skeptical here. Can I see your Armory?
Well I like the vibrations of the music coz its pretty fun to me.

And, here's my armory but I've been inactive for a long time now last time I even raided was near the end of TBC and was finished with it. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Ericridge I believe I'm lvl 79 coz i just lvled up checking out what northrend looks like XP

And no, don't really need vent as long as you understand how to do the boss fights. U could just read what boss does on a site i forgot name site what to do during phases and that's pretty much it, Been a Healer, dpser. And very occasionally a tank because I don't have much interest in being a tank.. it isn't fun at all in wow.
Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine »

I don't really know. It would really depend more on whether or not I liked her, as opposed to the fact that she has a disability. That would be a factor, of course, but more like "how does this affect the way we interact" more than "eww, she's disabled" or "sweet, she's disabled!" Honestly, it'd largely matter whether or not she was interested in me; I'm not exactly what you'd call 'assertive' when it comes to relationships.

I mean, I'm a very visually oriented person. I play lots of games, watch a lot of shows, and read a lot of comics; if I was to become friends with a blind person, I would have to deal with the fact that a majority of my hobbies are totally off-limits to her. If she was deaf, I would need to put in the time and effort to learn sign language. (though, I think that if I was in a position to interact with a deaf person a lot I'd do that anyway, whether they're male or female)

As for amputees, I actually have a (very) small bit of experience there. At the newspaper where I started working recently, there's a girl without a left hand. When I first noticed it, I'll admit it weird-ed me out a little. After a few days, though, and working with her on a few things, it became 'normal' and I barely notice it now. It's not "Oh, there's the girl with only one hand;" it's "Oh, there's _______." People are pretty adaptable.

I'm sorry to say, but I would not be able to have a relationship with someone who had a mental disability. Well, the sort which impedes intelligence. I see romance as a relationship of equals, and if we can't interact on the same level then there's no way I could do that. I'm not that altruistic a person.
supalime

Post by supalime »

I cannot speak from experience, though I think I would. I've been legally deaf in one ear my whole life (until this past summer), but I can't imagine that counts. Might go into education for the deaf/hard of hearing, so you never know. Like the person above, I too would probably not date someone with a mental disability. Actually, I'm pretty much Mr. Shine in this situation.
dilleuxlepaire

Post by dilleuxlepaire »

I would. I certainly would. For the mere fact that I am curious. I've been wondering a while back (and it's been even worst after I've been playing this game) how would be life without one of my sense. Or limb. Or anything I rely on to go through my regular life (save the brain, tho). Just for the heck of it. Because I can't live it, and I want to know how it feels to be like that. Must be a thrill. Everytime. Learning to live again.

*ahem* I'm getting away from the point.

I'd do it out of sheer curiosity, living a life with someone physically impaired.
I'd do it because somehow, that person will depend on me.
I'd do it to see how in fact that person can deal with life as fine as I do, with the handicap, without my help.

Like living on hard mode, and winning.
Cheers.
Raze

Post by Raze »

I guess I would, but not just any disabled person.

-Deaf girl: This would be the most interesting for me. Being able to read and talk in sign language must be pretty cool. None of my friends know sign language, so everything I'd say to her would be our little secret.
-Blind girl: Not for me. I'm a bodybuilder and I love getting admired. A blind girl wouldn't even understand why my body is considered beautiful.
-Non armed: Hmmm...I dunno. Arms are the counterweights while walking. They keep your upper body in the right position and generally are the most advanced tool in the history of mankind. Having no hands must be HORRIBLE.
-Non legged: If she'd get herself some nice real-looking cyborg prosthetics, sure! A wheelchair would be a turnoff.
-Burn victim: Depends on how much of her skin is burnt. If she has no hair and looks like ET, I have to say NOTHANKYOU.JPG.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Raze wrote:I guess I would, but not just any disabled person.

-Deaf girl: This would be the most interesting for me. Being able to read and talk in sign language must be pretty cool. None of my friends know sign language, so everything I'd say to her would be our little secret.
-Blind girl: Not for me. I'm a bodybuilder and I love getting admired. A blind girl wouldn't even understand why my body is considered beautiful.
-Non armed: Hmmm...I dunno. Arms are the counterweights while walking. They keep your upper body in the right position and generally are the most advanced tool in the history of mankind. Having no hands must be HORRIBLE.
-Non legged: If she'd get herself some nice real-looking cyborg prosthetics, sure! A wheelchair would be a turnoff.
-Burn victim: Depends on how much of her skin is burnt. If she has no hair and looks like ET, I have to say NOTHANKYOU.JPG.
They're blind, not stupid. She would feel your muscles with her hands to see how ripped you were. How does that not appeal to your narcissism?
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Skribbz

Post by Skribbz »

Deaf - If I could learn the language, then why the hell not.
Blind - Sure, not necessarily a turn off
Armless - It'd be hard to ignore, but if I hung out with her for a while and learned to get used to it, I'd stop really noticing. so yea, I would at some point.
Legless - Same as Armless, really, only it'd be easier to make it seem normal with prosthetic legs and whatnot
Burnt - well it depends, if using the example of Hanako, I would. However, as the guy above me said, I wouldn't if she was like super severely destroyed by it. But yea, you'd be able to definitely get used to seeing the burns and it wouldn't continue to be any issue whatsoever.

But let's face the facts, the chance of me getting any girl are pretty slim.
"Everyone's waiting on you. Waiting to through rocks at you, spit on you, and make your life an everliving hell. Who's everyone? Everyone you love."
UnknownFan

Post by UnknownFan »

Deaf - Sure, and it works kind of well, since loud music is the only good music. (Even when its classical.)

Blind - Definitely, not just because I don't care for my body, but because I don't think sight really matters in this world, there are many beautiful things that you don't need to see.

Armless - Why not? I'm not really one for footjobs, but if I really care for them then I'll get used to it if they wish it.

Legless - With all the tech today this really wont be much of a problem for much longer, its just a matter of time, so yes, but even without the technology I wouldn't mind.

Burnt - I'll be honest, like the others said, if she looks like ET I'm gonna have to pass, I feel bad for saying it, but unless I really loved them I doubt we would be able to do anything sexual, I believe a persons personality matters much more than their body, but there's a limit.
TheFreshmaker

Post by TheFreshmaker »

I've actually wanted to date a deaf girl before, but the communication barrier was just too much in such a short time. Its funny, Shizune's teasing reminds me alot of her.

As much as I adore Rin, the armless thing just weirds me out a little too much. Maybe its just that I've known anyone with that kind of disability personally. The same goes for legs, but for some reason it doesn't really bother me at all if its below the knee. I guess the ability to still get around takes the edge off of it.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Raze wrote:-Deaf girl: This would be the most interesting for me. Being able to read and talk in sign language must be pretty cool. None of my friends know sign language, so everything I'd say to her would be our little secret.
Some time ago, we had a deaf girl drop by the forums and talk about all sorts of shit, and this was one of the things that came up -- specifically, the "mystique" that hearing people perceive to surround the deaf. Before that discussion I thought pretty much exactly the same as you, but now it bothers me whenever people say things like this because I realize just how creepy and fantastical it is.

The main point she made was that pretty much every hearing boy who had ever shown an interest in her was, first and foremost, drawn to her for her seemingly exotic circumstances. Here is this unhearing creature who communicates in this alien hand-language! How wonderful it would be for me to learn her language and make her mine! And so he approaches his prey and professes his desire to learn sign language so that they may be together forever. I mean, how hard could it be?

Then one of three things inevitably happens:
1. He "never gets around to it."
2. He tries it out and realizes it will take more than just a month's effort to learn this bizarre language.
3. He sticks through it and insists that he owns this beautiful, helpless, unhearing creature.

Naturally, the deaf girl becomes disillusioned with hearing men, and avoids any hearing person who says that they would learn sign language for her.

Basically, if you think like this, and by the twisted will of fate you have the opportunity to court a deaf girl, you won't have a chance. You'd need to come to grips with reality and not court her out of some misguided perception that it would be "fun." And then, most likely, you'll realize that it's probably more trouble than it's worth and you should give up the white knight bullshit altogether. Not to say that there isn't a slim chance that the chemistry would work past her deafness and past your denseness, but realize it is slim.

I mean, there's a Goddamn reason that deaf people tend to marry other deaf people. They don't need someone to "protect" them, they don't need someone with an obsessive preoccupation with their disability, and they sure as fuck don't need someone thinking they own them.
Ragnarok1991388

Post by Ragnarok1991388 »

TheFreshmaker wrote:As much as I adore Rin, the armless thing just weirds me out a little too much.
That's not a problem for me, I actually think it's kind of cute. :mrgreen:
People who like this post may also like: tentacle rape, high pitched japanese moaning, and crying out "no! no! no!" (even though they really mean yes).
TheFreshmaker

Post by TheFreshmaker »

Oh, i think Rin is adorable as can be, but I doubt women with her condition IRL would be the same way.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Actually, I modeled Rin's physical abilities after several real people. Nothing she does is unrealistic, and the "How does Rin do X? A: Emi" joke isn't as big deal in their "real life" as you'd think. Obviously she can't do everything without opposing thumbs, but armless people can be pretty amazing.

Check out Jessica Parks putting on contact lenses and driving a car, with feet only.

<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

☆♥Aura♥☆ wrote:Actually, I modeled Rin's physical abilities after several real people. Nothing she does is unrealistic, and the "How does Rin do X? A: Emi" joke isn't as big deal in their "real life" as you'd think. Obviously she can't do everything without opposing thumbs, but armless people can be pretty amazing.

Check out Jessica Parks putting on contact lenses and driving a car, with feet only.

That's pretty cool, but I think he meant more along the lines of Rin's personality.

Also, to the people who want to date a deaf chick to communicate in the "secret language of sign language" you KNOW you don't have to be deaf to learn it, right? You can always just take classes with your girlfriend, and voila, you have the same effect except you're not dating her for a gimmmick.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts