Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Hypothermia

Re: Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

Post by Hypothermia »

toast wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:
i know a guy with aspergers. had he not mentioned having it, i never would have noticed, but the again i do know a lot of weird people.
Aspergers generally seems to be a lame excuse for being weird/not having friends. If he mentions it he probably just wants attention.
Unless they have Aspergers and can't tell if you care/notice or not. I've met an aspie that genuinely could not connect to human beings like he could to machines.
But "mental disability" usually brings to mind Down's Syndrome or Mental Retardation. These things would bother me far more than being blind or whatever.
Now psychological disabilities... that's where it get REALLY sexy.
Malek

Post by Malek »

Pardon me for asking but that last part,"Now psychological disabilities... that's where it get REALLY sexy.",has me a might confused. Are you meaning that just as you said it or do you mean as a way to show that is worse/harder to deal with?

Sorry for asking but i cant tell my self.

Have a nice day.
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

when I made this topic I intended it to say as "physical" disabilities mainly because when you get into mental disabilities you are opening a whole another can of worms.

I'm surprised that this topic has derailed into a "mental" disability topic because I consider the two differently. While a physical disability only affects the outside a mental disability truly is what is on the inside. It's true I only judge from on what on the inside but that doesn't mean that I'm shallow nor does it mean that I won't choose to hate someone that has a physical disability.

However mental is where I draw the line and while in the past I've given people the benefit of the doubt in the end the fact that there was something wrong ended up burning me. So yes for some mental disabilities I would put my foot down and not really want to associate with that kind of person.
Hypothermia wrote:
toast wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:
i know a guy with aspergers. had he not mentioned having it, i never would have noticed, but the again i do know a lot of weird people.
Aspergers generally seems to be a lame excuse for being weird/not having friends. If he mentions it he probably just wants attention.
Unless they have Aspergers and can't tell if you care/notice or not. I've met an aspie that genuinely could not connect to human beings like he could to machines.
But "mental disability" usually brings to mind Down's Syndrome or Mental Retardation. These things would bother me far more than being blind or whatever.
Now psychological disabilities... that's where it get REALLY sexy.
hoo boy where do I start. First off I'm somewhat offended by your choice to feign ignorance. I don't know why the person choose to tell you about his aspbergers but I do know that aspbergers is NOT an excuse for not having friends. This is coming from someone that has it.

I can tell most of the time when someone has aspbergers. It comes naturally really. There is certian behavior to look for. But I must warn you that every case is different. The person that couldn't connect to humans is a more severe case. So that isn't nessessarily going to be some sort of cookie cutter (in fact there isn't one!)
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

For the love of God let the aspergers talk stop before this thread gets locked like all the other ones!

As for the actual topic, I have a short story to relate.

I work in a tech support center for Verizon (Fios if you wanna know). I was in the first wave of reps to get put on this project, so my experience is a magnet for trainers wanting to dump their new recruits on me to listen to my calls and get a feel for the job they'll be doing in a few weeks. Today, a girl was placed with me while I was in the middle of a call. Naturally, the customer comes first so I don't bother to turn and regard her until I have time to actually speak to her like a decent human being. I give a wave to acknowledge her presence, plug her phone into a spare jack to listen, then finish my call.

Then I turn to finally meet my audience. Her face was disfigured, and I didn't flinch. I looked her in the eyes first. I have never really been tested on this subject matter, and some neurons in the back of my head had always asked "How would you behave?" Sufficed to say the least, I surprised myself, and think I made a fine aquaintence today. She was pleasant and open and listened to my advice. It was amicable, and then it was over.

So for the first time, I discovered on which side my temperment lies with respect to this thread's question. Whatever happens happens.
Imagine me and you...
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

Also, by sexy, I meant I have a thing for crazy chicks.

(._. )

Edit:
Above poster is right. Sorry.
erisi236

Post by erisi236 »

Ha, I wish I could find a girl that would date the disabled. :?
"Iluvevery, single… one of ye… not you." - Lilly during another one of her drunken rampages.
AutisticPsycho

Post by AutisticPsycho »

Hypothermia wrote:That sounds incredibly awesome.
'Twas.

Too bad, it only lasted a few months. I was a junior and she was a senior.

I should try and call her but I lost her number. :(
Me: Hey guys! Hey guys!
Devs: What?
Me: Ampu-tan and Erika cameo!
Devs: No. We have had a lot of threads like this, and we don't need more. *LOCK'D*
Me: Nyoro~n
Solunar

Post by Solunar »

Yes, I probably would, just for the experience of it. As for marriage, that's another question altogether.

But it would be kind of sad if the guy had no arms, we wouldn't be able to hug. :(
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Solunar wrote:Yes, I probably would, just for the experience of it. As for marriage, that's another question altogether.
That sounds a little bit harsh to my ears because I have been taught to solely date people who I felt worthy to marry me. Any kind of romantic relationship should be treated with respect and utmost devotion between any kind of partners.

Well I have a question concerning the topic of this thread.
What is dating? Is it something light-hearted or something deep? Is it socially acceptable to date someone without having feelings for that person or is this generally considered to be dishonest?
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Deimos wrote:
Solunar wrote:Yes, I probably would, just for the experience of it. As for marriage, that's another question altogether.
That sounds a little bit harsh to my ears because I have been taught to solely date people who I felt worthy to marry me. Any kind of romantic relationsship should be treated with resspect and utmost devotion between any kind of partners.

Well I have a question concerning the topic of this thread.
What is dating? Is it something light-hearted or something deep? Is it socially acceptable to date someone without having feelings for that person or is this generally considered to be dishonest?
im inclined to agree. not so far as to say that id be willing to date only people i want to marry, but more like when im thinking if im going to ask a girl out, the thought process of "hey this could all work out and we could end up getting married, would that be a bad thing?" goes through my head, and yeah its fairly important.
UnknownFan

Post by UnknownFan »

Why not?

People are people.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Deimos wrote:Is it socially acceptable to date someone without having feelings for that person or is this generally considered to be dishonest?
russianspy1234 wrote:im inclined to agree. not so far as to say that id be willing to date only people i want to marry, but more like when im thinking if im going to ask a girl out, the thought process of "hey this could all work out and we could end up getting married, would that be a bad thing?" goes through my head, and yeah its fairly important.
Generally, this is where I stand: I won't date someone I know I would never marry and I won't date someone I do not have any feelings for.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Xenokitten

Post by Xenokitten »

Well dating is generally how you find out more about a person and decide if you want to make the relationship exclusive or keep things as friends or go seperate ways. Going to a movie, going to a park, grabbing a bite to eat. No need to read marriage into things like that, and if one is single, it's fine to date multiple people as long as they aren't led to believe that it's exclusive or whatever.

Now sleeping with someone, while many people sleep with whomever these days, I'm old fashioned and still believe that it should be with someone you have feelings for. I did friends with benefits once almost a decade ago now, not for me. Not my thing. I like the emotional strings that many find confining or incovenient. To me they make me happy. Without them the "relationship" seems empty.

So while it's socially acceptable to "date" people you don't immediately have any feelings for... In my opinion it's still unnacceptable to sleep with someone having no intention of creating a relationship

However, I fear, these days, in America at least, that my viewpoint is the vast minority, and could be tied to the fact that I represent a small portion of the female fans of this game ;p
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Xenokitten wrote:Well dating is generally how you find out more about a person and decide if you want to make the relationship exclusive or keep things as friends or go seperate ways. Going to a movie, going to a park, grabbing a bite to eat. No need to read marriage into things like that, and if one is single, it's fine to date multiple people as long as they aren't led to believe that it's exclusive or whatever.

Now sleeping with someone, while many people sleep with whomever these days, I'm old fashioned and still believe that it should be with someone you have feelings for. I did friends with benefits once almost a decade ago now, not for me. Not my thing. I like the emotional strings that many find confining or incovenient. To me they make me happy. Without them the "relationship" seems empty.

So while it's socially acceptable to "date" people you don't immediately have any feelings for... In my opinion it's still unnacceptable to sleep with someone having no intention of creating a relationship

However, I fear, these days, in America at least, that my viewpoint is the vast minority, and could be tied to the fact that I represent a small portion of the female fans of this game ;p
ehhh. I would say stick to one at a time. And really, for me if you're going out to get to know someone it doesn't feel like dating to me so much. :?

then again every girl I've ever loved was my friend before I fell in love with them, so maybe I haven't got the best perspective on this.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Xenokitten wrote: However, I fear, these days, in America at least, that my viewpoint is the vast minority, and could be tied to the fact that I represent a small portion of the female fans of this game ;p
You don't have to be female and you don't have to live in the US to be entitled to said minority.
SirMax wrote: ehhh. I would say stick to one at a time. And really, for me if you're going out to get to know someone it doesn't feel like dating to me so much. :?
That caused my confusion about the definition of dating.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.