Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Re: Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

Post by Pimmy »

I don't think they're a troll.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem dating someone with a disability. Once you get passed any initial discomforts (a human flaw..) the person's true personality could be really great! Though I think realistically, a high-maintenance person might get less points on the "datability" scale. But I told myself I wouldn't date a guy who had certain flaws, and I've broken those rules before! You never know.

BUT! To go along with the "I don't think they're a troll" line, I have very poor eyesight. My eyes are as bad as my 40+ year old mother's are now, and are probably gonna get worse. For this reason, I often think "I probably shouldn't have children, I'd hate to pass on the genes for bad eyesight, it's such a problem already!" My younger sister, who has perfect eyes, (and isn't a socially-stunted nerd) would probably be better for the gene-pool as a whole XD So I can understand Eligre's sentiments. I believe that humans will probably remain a weak-bodied species because natural selection is a bit nonexistent outside of cosmetic things (selection based on how well one can get a date).
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Thinking more about how I have acted around the physically disabled in the past I can clarify my previous post a little. (It essentially said, "I don't know, but they have to smell good.") I don't have problems relating with amputees or the blind, except during initial contact when I have to gauge how they want me to act in relation to our differences. I often feel awkward about people with deformities, but the initial "squick" factor usually fades over time.

Unfortunately, those whose physical disability arises from a neurological disorder give me the willies, but that has a lot to do with my past. I watched my grandfather slowly die of Parkinson's throughout my childhood. Sometimes he would have to stand in place for fifteen minutes just trying to get his legs to move one step foreward. :cry: The thought that I may have that to look foreward to in thirty or so years scares the hell out of me and I find it difficult to keep myself from projecting that onto others.

All that said, the most direct answer to the question I can give is definately, maybe.
He made an overtly inflammatory post filled with implied value judgements about the disabled and justified them with faulty logic. After the predictable outcry he has done nothing but backpedal with caveats that he conveniently forgot to mention in his OP and claims that we have all misunderstood him. At the same time he ignores or openly refuses to discuss the holes many of us have pointed out about his logic, while instead choosing to imply his superiority over those that attempt to disagree with him on his own terms. I submit the following exhibits: (Emphasis mine, of course.)
Eligre wrote:However, it is good to know you think that, while you disagree with me, I'm still on the highest level. :)
Eligre wrote:Yup. So I have my thoughts, myriad as they are, and you all have yours. Mine was a conditional yes, yours were all, like good little citizens, an unconditional yes. I don't want to go into another 2-page discussion, sorry spyguy, I really do have some good retorts on that, but yes, I think it is important that the trains are running on time and not being derailed, to mix metaphors.
Ergo, he is not here to discuss his views with us in a civilized intellectual discussion, he is here to piss people off and feed his own ego.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

Yeah, I see it now. I chose not to read his second post, so the effect was lost on me.
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

And I chose not to read any posts longer than a paragraph, so I have no idea what's going on.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

Eugenics dude trolls people at a cripple dating game's forum.

Obvious, in hindsight.
abscess

Post by abscess »

vermithrx wrote:Ergo, he is not here to discuss his views with us in a civilized intellectual discussion, he is here to piss people off and feed his own ego.
I don't think that's the case. Sure, he does have some rather strange (*coughfaultycough*) logic, and thinks himself high, but he did provide a mildly convincing argument that the thread was derailing, and it still is. He probably is not a troll, just someone with an inflated ego. But then again, I've been actively roaming forums for little more than one year, and the one I main has some strict rules, not to say that trolls rarely drop there. So I probably don't know trolls that much :/
Siiiiigh....
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

I heard someone was cruising for a bruising. If indeed they have, it shall be sorted once I've read the thread.
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

Blue123 wrote:I heard someone was cruising for a bruising. If indeed they have, it shall be sorted once I've read the thread.
All I can say is this (in a Chiaki Minami style) Bakayaro -I wonder if that fella knows what Katawa is about .
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Well, the probability of him playing it is rather high. I'd implore anyone here to try and find a registered forum user who hasn't played the game. So now the question must be asked: Is it possible to play the game, and not take away some sort of new understanding for the disabled? And if they didn't, why are they here?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

G3n0c1de wrote:Well, the probability of him playing it is rather high. I'd implore anyone here to try and find a registered forum user who hasn't played the game. So now the question must be asked: Is it possible to play the game, and not take away some sort of new understanding for the disabled? And if they didn't, why are they here?
Well I haven't really done the game yet (just started recently and done 1st choice!) But I can understand, and emphatise with the deaf since I have advanced hearing loss not amounting (yet!) to deafness. Just a point.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

Finish it up, bro. It is an good entertain game.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

I hope I am not further derailing this thread with this post - I want to contribute to the question if a disabled person is dateable.
It is important to note that KS is a work of fiction and for most of us the question that gave idea to this thread is also rather fictional, I assume. If I take myself for an example I watched Koi Kaze and have shed some tears and at the end I was feeling with the characters. That does not mean I will ever support incestious relationships in any way.
So I can be fairly sure one can play Katawa Shoujo and end all the paths while being heavily in-touch with all the portrayed feelings and scenarios but still be a very different unaffected person after finishing it.

It just depends on how sharply defined your line between ficition and reality is.
Maybe Eligre's way of presenting himself was found to be lacking but he seemed to have constructed some kind of philosophy there even it has it's faults. A real troll would have done it to gain something from it (lulz presumably - If I am correct in using the right terminology here.). I think you all agree he has not made himself many friends with his musings and I like to conclude that he really wanted to share his opinion - outdated or not.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.

Post by Guest »

I'm to desperate to be picky about this.
Eligre

Post by Eligre »

Pimmy, Deimos, thank you, but I would ask you do not defend me, nor support me in any visible way, a kind word in a PM will do. I know 4chan has a thing for liking to hate people who are different from them, which is why they all wear masks and refer to themselves as Legion, and I would not want either of you to be targeted because I am, as others have stated, an outdated, lofty, individual, with their own opinions.

And yes, I have played the game. I enjoyed it. Greatly. I cannot wait for the full version to come out. (Wait... watch the hyperbole, an Android is in the midst, everything is face-value!) I mean, I can wait, but with great anticipation. I've gotten 100% on it, with only using the walkthrough for "Slow Recovery", just like everyone else here. (I can give screens of the % and final all-endings completion if you want).

However, that does not translate into dating someone disabled. It is a Visual NOVEL. Something you read. I don't believe in dragons, but I love dragonlance. I am atheist (not anti-theist, friendly android, but non-theist) but still read religious texts, as many of them are entertaining. You do not need to live something to enjoy reading about it. It's not like I said they're evil creatures and this VN should be a moral lesson like Pocahontas to me.

So once more, date? no. Read about and enjoy the idealistic thought, artwork, and narrative? Yes.

And to defend against the slings and arrows myself: I drop my argument. Everyone else here is right about my thoughts being wrong. I will not be swayed into debate after I have posted Introduction, Rebuttal, and Conclusion, however since you all feel so strongly about it, though, I will acquiesce and say you're right. Happy? If new facts beyond the three (and it was only three facts, the rest was opinion) I mentioned arise, I'd love to chat. Other than that, if you have critical personal grievances with what I say, use "Report Post", that is what it is there for (The little ! in a triangle in the corner of this post), or take it to Private Messages.
...Not that my avvy is suggesting anything about Katawa Shoujo. I hope.
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

I wasn't particularly trying to defend you or something like that, heck I've hardly bothered to read a lot of the thread. I was simply agreeing/stating that I sympathized with some of your more... not-so-humanistic sentiments. Things coulda been WORDED better, perhaps.. but eh, people can be touchy.