Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Validus Razgriz

Re: Would you date a girl/guy with a physical disability?

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Eligre wrote:Razgriz: I am a Nature person in the debate. However, I also have worked out that it is impossible to test pure nature or pure nurture, and testing both at once will reveal nothing, but let me ask Nurture people this: Same Nurture, different nature: You have two kids. 4 years old each. One is a psychopath, one is not, but you don't know it yet. They both, somehow, manage to bite the head off a bluebird. You reprimand them once. One does not do it again, the other does. So you reprimand them again. They do more violence, different styles, so you reprimand them yet more. Suddenly you have one kid Nurtured once, and one Nurtured 100 times, in order to get them to the same level in society. But you see I do admit here Nurture does effect Nature after a long enough repetition of it. Sorry Hypo, I can't agree with you on this one.
I never said that I was a Nurture person. I believe that Nature and Nurture both play an equal role in the development of humans. There was a psychologist who answered the question of whether Nature or Nurture plays a bigger role in human devolopment with another question: "Which contributes more to the area of a rectangle, its length or its width?"
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

What the fuck happened to this thread?
Malus_Phasmatis

Post by Malus_Phasmatis »

Duo2Cuo wrote:What the fuck happened to this thread?
Someone answered no.
"Time and place are nothing. Constructs of a feeble mortal mind attempting to categorize and understand the world around it."
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Duo2Cuo wrote:What the fuck happened to this thread?
Eligre basically made a comment that crippled people shouldn't breed, and everybody is going apeshit. Yeah, this thread is way off topic now.
If it is already a trainwreck, we might as well try to fix the problem by sending in more trains
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Despair Sensei

Post by Despair Sensei »

The eugenics argument is really stupid when you consider all the awesome stuff they can do with prosthetics now. Soon people like Rin will be able to replace the useless sacks of meat that are 'supposed' to be attached to our torsos with Warhammer 40K style Powerfists:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17195_5- ... owers.html

I for one welcome our new "handicapable" overlords. If KS is any indication they will be unbelievably cute and/or hilarious.
Eligre

Post by Eligre »

Yup. So I have my thoughts, myriad as they are, and you all have yours. Mine was a conditional yes, yours were all,like good little citizens, an unconditional yes. I don't want to go into another 2-page discussion, sorry spyguy, I really do have some good retorts on that, but yes, I think it is important that the trains are running on time and not being derailed, to mix metaphors. Or that we should return to topic and not get the thread closed, to pontificate on that point. Same point applies to Nature:Nurture debate, it's for another thread.

So we can put that aside for now, and I'll say of the ones in-game, Emi is the most fitting in my definitions of date-able, even though she's my least favourite of the girls. I'm contrary like that.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out Despair, it is an example of my reference to overcoming disabilities combined with obsession w/ technology there.
...Not that my avvy is suggesting anything about Katawa Shoujo. I hope.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Eligre wrote:Yup. So I have my thoughts, myriad as they are, and you all have yours. Mine was a conditional yes, yours were all,like good little citizens, an unconditional yes. I don't want to go into another 2-page discussion, sorry spyguy, I really do have some good retorts on that, but yes, I think it is important that the trains are running on time and not being derailed, to mix metaphors. Or that we should return to topic and not get the thread closed, to pontificate on that point. Same point applies to Nature:Nurture debate, it's for another thread.

So we can put that aside for now, and I'll say of the ones in-game, Emi is the most fitting in my definitions of date-able, even though she's my least favourite of the girls. I'm contrary like that.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out Despair, it is an example of my reference to overcoming disabilities combined with obsession w/ technology there.
and everyone who put unconditional yesses was saying that from their own point of view, whether they were being honest or not, your post implied that you wouldnt date someone with certain disabilities, and no one else should either.
Haruhiist

Post by Haruhiist »

Not having read any of the apparant mess before this page, I will answer the original thread topic in hopes of putting it back on track. Probably.

Maybe it's just because of KS and the likeable girls shown in it, but I wouldn't have any problems forming a relationship with a physically disabled girl. It'd be hard to speak to her, probably, though I suppose eventually it'd be just like a normal relationship between two pefectly normal lovers.
Probably.
Though when I think about trying to seperate the whole love and pity thing, I have doubts myself.
There's also my I-haven't-been-acquainted-with-anyone-disabled situation, which makes my current views on the topic a bit.. off.
unyu.
smart, witty posts don't seem to be my thing.
MythagoWoods

Post by MythagoWoods »

Seeing as I've A. read the posts up to the derailment and appreciate everyones thoughts regardless of what they were as everyone has their own views and opinions, no matter how iffy they may be to others... Lord knows I think up some awful stuff sometimes, and B. having a physical disability myself, I look normal aside from handed the bad look genetics card but majority of my joints carry little cartilage thus making any kind of movements and actions actually quite painful and I gotta take medication on some of the worse days to be able to move around without to much difficulty and even then sometimes I need a cane or something for support, I can quite honestly say I would date a girl with a disability. Granted being a Computer Science major, with only half a year left for my degree... finally, and my already well solidified hikkomori nature makes any kinda encounter rather left to chance. But yeah, to sound stereotypical it's the inside that counts, not the outside.

Physical abilities really have no effect on me because 9/10 the person, while disabled, is still independent and can get around and by just fine and are just like everyone else personality wise. Granted I don't like a lot of disabled people in my area because most of them are bitter jerks who lash out at everyone when you try and be friendly but eh.
Screw you, Xom. Just... screw you.
Envy

Post by Envy »

Eligre wrote:I said people who could not survive in the current environment with the aid of technology
You talked more about people who couldn't act normally but whatever, I don't really see how this post improves your argument. Your emphasis on technology is rather short sighted when you consider that not everyone has access to the wonders it provides and thus those people should not be allowed to breed in your model. Also, should those who rely on a carer to survive and perform normal functions be denied a genetic continuation?

Really you've said nothing new in this post except to point out you're not in favour of cleansing the alive but disabled which was not something I was trying to imply in the first place.
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

In most cases, why not?
Look at it, the advances in technology does remove the barrier between "normal" and "disabled". Like now, I can communicate with someone like Shizune with SMS. (Although it'd cost quite a bit, unless you have a plan like mine - free local SMS all day!)

Emi is blatantly showing off technology herself too. Who'd have thought of prosthetics, the time I was born? Or for that matter, "visualisers" that allow the blind to visualise their surroundings? (There are two kinds - one's inbuilt into the sunglasses, and the other attached to a walking stick, which then communicates the info into some implant.)

And for the halfway there kinds like Misha and myself (I think Misha has rapid hearing loss, AFAIK - explaining her loud behavior), there are hearing aids. Though I don't use them. :mrgreen:
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Eligre wrote:Yup. So I have my thoughts, myriad as they are, and you all have yours. Mine was a conditional yes, yours were all,like good little citizens, an unconditional yes. I don't want to go into another 2-page discussion, sorry spyguy, I really do have some good retorts on that, but yes, I think it is important that the trains are running on time and not being derailed, to mix metaphors. Or that we should return to topic and not get the thread closed, to pontificate on that point. Same point applies to Nature:Nurture debate, it's for another thread.

Excuse me if I am very wrong but I got the impression that some post were more like "Maybe, who knows?" And I think I tried to make clear that I see myself as a fallible being and can therefore be not sure about my stance for all eternity and consciously withheld a definite answer.
Well, you pushed this thread into an interesting direction and I am obligated to thank you because you raised some really interesting posts from a great range of people, yourself included.

But back onto the topic:

I would probably have the biggest problem with a person that has Hisao's disability/illness/complications because of the short life expectancy. I had only very serious relationships in my life and I like to keep it like that. Someone like Hisao would probably break my heart after making me care for him for years/months with his death.
It also relates to one of my past posts where I said that in a relationship I do not want to be a caretaker first but an equal partner and with Hisao and most probably Rin (of course only when considering a long-term romance) this is not a given.

PS: Since virus is a Latin word with a neutral gender its plural is "vira".
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

Deimos wrote:

Excuse me if I am very wrong but I got the impression that some post were more like "Maybe, who knows?" And I think I tried to make clear that I see myself as a fallible being and can therefore be not sure about my stance for all eternity and consciously withheld a definite answer.
Well, you pushed this thread into an interesting direction and I am oblidged to thank you because you raised some really interesting posts from a great range of people, yourself included.

But back onto the topic:

I would probably have the biggest problem with a person that has Hisao's disability/illness/complications because of the short life expectancy. I had only very serious relationships in my life I like to keep it like that. Someone like Hisao would probably break my heart after making me care for him for years/months with his death.
It also relates to one of my past posts where I said that in a relationship I do not want to be a caretaker first but an equal partner and with Hisao and most probably Rin (of course only when considering a long-term romance) this is not a given.
Ah. That's a valid point, whether one can accept the other in the long term. It's a personal issue, let's not bruise each other.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Eligre wrote:I'm going to be what I am best, a profound cynic to the topic's question:

No.
You should have ended your posts at this point. That is, you should have if you were not simply out to agitate and troll. If you realy had anything to add to the forum you might have started a new thread. Your prime modus operandi seem to be to appear in well established threads; spout contrary and disruptive bullshit (Yes. Most of your statements of "fact" were bullshit, or at best misapplications of the original idea); and then run away after insulting and mocking people for revealing your false and/or misapplied ideas.
When it acts like a troll, when it posts like a troll, it is a troll. Welcome to my ignore list Eligre. :|

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

Bara wrote:
Eligre wrote:I'm going to be what I am best, a profound cynic to the topic's question:

No.
You should have ended your posts at this point. That is, you should have if you were not simply out to agitate and troll. If you realy had anything to add to the forum you might have started a new thread. Your prime modus operandi seem to be to appear in well established threads; spout contrary and disruptive bullshit (Yes. Most of your statements of "fact" were bullshit, or at best misapplications of the original idea); and then run away after insulting and mocking people for revealing your false and/or misapplied ideas.
When it acts like a troll, when it posts like a troll, it is a troll. Welcome to my ignore list Eligre. :|
Ooh. Harsh. You sure he's a troll? One must be certain in these matters.