Who will toggle the H scenes in the full version?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Synoptic

Re: Who will toggle the H scenes in the full version?

Post by Synoptic »

I'll play the game to it's fullest.

All paths, all endings with and without the H scenes.

The BIG problem is... how to play it THE FIRST TIME? H scenes on or off?

I think I'll choose "on" for the first playthrough to fully enjoy the product from the very first time. :]
"...!"
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

That seems like a lot of work. I had to convince myself just to go through all the paths on the demo. Of course, I was glad I did.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I'd suggest keeping H on for everyone who is not majorly turned off by cartoon sex, because at least currently we don't have any plans to replace them with any coherent excuse. The skipping and random blank spots in plot where the H should be might feel weird, but what do I know? It might work out just fine in the end. Play Kira ~snowdrop~ English localization to see how that kind of thing works for you (there is a H scene in original that was removed in the translation)
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Aura wrote:I'd suggest keeping H on for everyone who is not majorly turned off by cartoon sex, because at least currently we don't have any plans to replace them with any coherent excuse.
"Mommy, in the last scene Hisao didn't have a wart on his lip and now everyone does."
archon536

Post by archon536 »

1.) I believe the same amount of emotional fulfillment and impact can be achieved just fine without the sex scenes.
2.) As long as what happened BEFORE the sex scene and IMMEDIATELY after it make sense in the context, I am just fine knowing that they had sex without really having to see it. (You know, like they do in PG-13 movies.)
3.) While I have no problem admitting my maleness in the realms of sex, I believe going into unnecessary detail about the sex lives of the characters will kill the mood that I had going on playing the demo.

However, points 1 and 2 are only valid given a skilled writer, and I believe the writers for this game are excellent at what they do. Point 3 is just my opinion, take it or leave it.

So, therefore, as a test, I will play the game normally the first time WITHOUT the H-scenes, and then I will turn them back on at my second playthrough using the same choices to see the differences. If the conditions 1 and 2 above apply, I will turn them off and forget they ever existed. If not, I'll turn them back on.
Lilly > Hanako = Rin > Emi > Shizune
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

I've never skipped over a sex scene in my life (tho I kinda wanted to in Watchmen), I won't start now.

and the thing is, I walked into this expecting sex all the time in the demo, and what I got was incredible writing and a damn addicting game. I'm eager to see just how much more the devs can get me into (dur hur hur) these characters, and if the sex scenes are as good as the rest of the game, then there's no chance in hell I'm skipping 'em.

*peers at archon536's avatar*
dude! :mrgreen:
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

archon536 wrote:1.) I believe the same amount of emotional fulfillment and impact can be achieved just fine without the sex scenes.
2.) As long as what happened BEFORE the sex scene and IMMEDIATELY after it make sense in the context, I am just fine knowing that they had sex without really having to see it. (You know, like they do in PG-13 movies.)
3.) While I have no problem admitting my maleness in the realms of sex, I believe going into unnecessary detail about the sex lives of the characters will kill the mood that I had going on playing the demo.

However, points 1 and 2 are only valid given a skilled writer, and I believe the writers for this game are excellent at what they do. Point 3 is just my opinion, take it or leave it.

So, therefore, as a test, I will play the game normally the first time WITHOUT the H-scenes, and then I will turn them back on at my second playthrough using the same choices to see the differences. If the conditions 1 and 2 above apply, I will turn them off and forget they ever existed. If not, I'll turn them back on.
Although a skilled writer should be able to achieve point 2, he should also be able to use sex to enhance emotional fulfillment without "killing the mood." The two are mutually exclusive anyway.

So if you go through the game twice to find that you liked it better with the sex scenes, it's because you actually missed a crucial part of the story -- Not because the writer isn't skilled. Quite the opposite in fact; they can't write the tastefully-done sex scenes that everyone is expecting and yet give the player a better experience when they have them turned off. For the sake of developing a proper appreciation for an art form, I'd suggest having faith in the writers and going through the game the first time with the sex scenes on.

Really, anyone saying that the game would be better off without the sex scenes are just like the people saying that they couldn't pull off a VN about cripple girls tastefully (pretty much everyone, including me). KS is so popular now because they were proven very, very wrong.
HeMeido

Post by HeMeido »

ubergeneral wrote: but I fear that by making it have adult content might make it off limits to too many people. If anything there should be a H version and a clean version. If your somewhere that has strict rules against this kind of thing (gamefaqs i'm looking at you) I should be able to link the clean version instead of saying "just turn the H off".
Gamefaqs has pages for many translated eroge.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Em I the only one that dosen't see that big deal with the scenes in question? I admit KS is my fist VN, so i can't say "I've seen this sort of thing before, so i doesn't bother me." Though i've seen a few images depicting such scenes. (*scoffs* thanks a lot 4chan) And honestly i don't see the big deal.
Guess

Post by Guess »

Snicket wrote:Em I the only one that dosen't see that big deal with the scenes in question? I admit KS is my fist VN, so i can't say "I've seen this sort of thing before, so i doesn't bother me." Though i've seen a few images depicting such scenes. (*scoffs* thanks a lot 4chan) And honestly i don't see the big deal.
Because there isn't really any. In story driven VNs, those scenes at worst are laughable, but I've yet to see one where they mangle the story in such a way that you can no longer take seriously the important part. Some people do find them annoying (with good reason) and some others find them insulting (don't know why), but I'm sure most people interested in video games in general won't have much of a problem other than the surprise-factor it carries for beginners. Other than that, they usually are easy to skip pressing control or any other key set for the text skipping function.

There's nothing to be afraid of in them.
carbonartistmonked

Post by carbonartistmonked »

i will toggle it off :o
a member of carbon artist associates and P.R.O.J.E.C.T.

Pure.Rubbish.Old.Junk.Enters.Comic.Theories

Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

I think the "me" five years ago would have toggled off the H scenes, and I can understand why some would. But I want to see the full game as it is, and how it was written, so I'm gonna play it that way.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

I came upon this genre when I was looking for advice how to write sex scenes and yeah, most of the times the build-up is mediocre but I try to enjoy the writing on an aesthetical level.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
BemaniAK

Post by BemaniAK »

Hanako will be my first path, and considering I'm pretty sure the H-Scenes (Definitely the first one) won't feel out of place in a story that's probably centered around her self-esteem with the way she looks, in fact, she'll probably be a lot less shy around Hisao after that, so H scenes definitely on first time around.

I can't shake the feeling that Rin's H-Scenes will feel less necessary, and are there for the sake of having the Sex in. But still probably going to keep them on.
HeMeido

Post by HeMeido »

Considering the way Hisao describes his conversations with Rin, I can't help but feel that the sex would be mind-blowing.