Real Life Yamaku Academy?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mike1849

Real Life Yamaku Academy?

Post by Mike1849 »

I wonder how an Academy like this would work in America? It sounds like a great idea as a concept. Children with physical disabilities or health issues have a school that can provide them with a safe and open environment to flourish in their education. And aplace where they won't feel like outcasts.

I'm sure eveyone had that one kid that was always sick and in the hospital when they were in school or the person with a physical disability that still has some trouble.

EDIT: So do you think a place like this would work? probably need to be a private institution
flurk

Re: Real Life Yamaku Academy?

Post by flurk »

hmmm there are special schools for the blind and/or deaf, because the way they live is just too different from everyone else.

also, yamaku sounds REALLY expensive. i mean, 24/7 professional medical staff with their own wing? wow.

Post by Guest »

There is, as an example, Gallaudet University, where the entire student body and much of the faculty are Deaf.

Also, not quite like Yamaku, but Harvey Milk High School caters to gay and trans students who feel unsafe in their normal schools.
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Well considering that the school is run on donations and other various contributions, a school like this is very much possible in the U.S. The only problem is getting the necessary staff, location, and accommodations for all the different kinds of disabled students they would expect. Currently the only kind of school/hospital I can think of is John Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland, but thats for teaching prospective medical doctors, not disabled high schoolers.
Riku

Post by Riku »

I think if a fundraiser were spread throughout all of the US of A, it could be possible. A little safe haven for kids who would otherwise be teased and harassed in public school. Johns Hopkins does not teach high schoolers, for the record. I've seen and been in the school on tours. The youngest person I saw was in his mid-twenties. :wink:
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

From what I've read I think that Yamaku is a private school. Complete with high tuition, and that's where most of their funding comes from. But they also said that people do offer contributions to the school, and there is even a foundation providing scholarships to students with both financial and physical hardships.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Riku wrote: Johns Hopkins does not teach high schoolers, for the record. I've seen and been in the school on tours. The youngest person I saw was in his mid-twenties. :wink:
I know, thats why I said its a school for future doctors. Maybe a real life Yamaku could be like in partnership with such a school. The Yamaku-like school would have a medical facility right by it, and the other school for doctors can send them over to the Yamaku-like school for real life examples of certain things, and how to people cope with such disabilities.