Hideaki

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

abscess

Re: Do you like Hideaki?

Post by abscess »

Blue123 wrote:Blue-on-blue is military terminology for friendly fire.
ooOOOoooh..... Now I get it! Thanks!
The only part I still don't quite get is the IFF thingy, but.... I think I get the gist of the situation :)
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that, man. I've seen that happen.... that's not a pretty sight in the beginning, but it turns out as a funny story with time!
Siiiiigh....
kobe

Post by kobe »

Blue123 wrote:Blue-on-blue is military terminology for friendly fire.
I feel stupid for not having read that xD
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

IFF is Identification friend or foe. It's a cryptographic, electronic system that allows for identification/interrogation of vehicles, aircraft, anything with a transponder.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Got it. Thanks again.
Seems I need to lurk more to know that kind of stuff....
Siiiiigh....
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Blue123 wrote:IFF is Identification friend or foe. It's a cryptographic, electronic system that allows for identification/interrogation of vehicles, aircraft, anything with a transponder.
"Transponder" still says sci-fi to me. Obviously I know more about sci-fi than real world military tech.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Ehhh, translation from Mil-geek-speak:

Blue on Blue = is a when you fire on your own troops or allies. Intending to imply a drunk GI getting hit on by a transvestite/transgender.

I.F.F transponder = Identify Friend or Foe. An I.F.F. is an electronic device usualy attached to military vehicles that send out encrypted signals when it detects a targeting signal aimed at it. It is supposed to prevent "Blue on Blue" from occurring, but the nature of things being as they are, anything GI will break when soaked in enough alcohol. :lol:

(Whoops! I didn't read all the way to the end of the tread before I responded. Redundant post.) :oops:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Bara wrote:More than once we had to pry someone away from a "Blue on Blue" situation due to the I.F.F. transponder being deadlined by too much booze. :wink:
I'm surprised that anyone on this forum knows what an IFF is.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Validus Razgriz wrote:I'm surprised that anyone on this forum knows what an IFF is.
Yeah, isn't it supprising what little bits of trivia come out. :lol:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
simpleDvorak

Post by simpleDvorak »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
Bara wrote:More than once we had to pry someone away from a "Blue on Blue" situation due to the I.F.F. transponder being deadlined by too much booze. :wink:
There's always one mil-buff around on every forum.
Or at least die-hard Halo novels fan... :P
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Bara

Post by Bara »

simpleDvorak wrote:
Validus Razgriz wrote:
There's always one mil-buff around on every forum.
Sorry, I never read a Halo novel, just 6 years of service back in the day, getting paid to go camping, and play with full auto weapons and explosives. :lol:

Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

simpleDvorak wrote:There's always one mil-buff around on every forum.
I'm both 8)
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Bara wrote:Sorry, I never read a Halo novel, just 6 years of service back in the day, getting paid to go camping, and play with full auto weapons and explosives. :lol:
/k/ommando who had both grandfathers and father in the USAF as mechanics during the Korean, Vietnam, and Gulf Wars (respectively), along with many other family members and ancestors who have made the military their career choice in nearly every war the US has been in since the American Civil War. I also do some studying of the Cold War and Kremlinology.

Sometime I feel weird that I haven't joined the military yet...
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
simpleDvorak

Post by simpleDvorak »

Nightdragon wrote: I'm both 8)
AHA. I knew you were hiding around here somewhere you. :wink:
Bara wrote: Sorry, I never read a Halo novel, just 6 years of service back in the day, getting paid to go camping, and play with full auto weapons and explosives. :lol:
Hehehe.
I was always one of those nerdy types, not fat, but just quite a bit physically unfit, who'd probably literally die from being PT'd. Thus, never quite had the honor of serving.

In reply to thread topic:
Yes. I would totally hit that... post-op...
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

simpleDvorak wrote:I was always one of those nerdy types, not fat, but just quite a bit physically unfit, who'd probably literally die from being PT'd. Thus, never quite had the honor of serving.
You'd be suprised how out of shape some people were when I first got to boot camp in Parris Island. There were quite a few who couldn't pass the IST before training actually began. The IST is like half of a PFT. In order to pass the IST,you have to do at least 3 pull-ups, 45 crunches in 2 minutes, and run 1.5 miles in under 13:30. The PFT is at least 3 pull-ups, 55 crunches in 2 minutes, and run 3 miles in under 28 minutes for guys, 30 minutes I believe for females. But my point is you could do it if you wanted to, just like everything else in the world. Btw thats the Marine standards, I dont know about everyone else.

I also have an extensive list of both immediate family and relatives military service, but that would take to long to type.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

You should get some kind of compensation for living in Jacksonville. I spent the last 10 days in Swansboro.