Your First Playthrough

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Whos Ending Did You Get On Your First Playthrough of KS?

Emi
42%
Hanako
22%
Lilly
9%
Rin
7%
Shizune
8%
Kenji
12%

Total votes: 1579

Lawls

Re: Your First Playthrough

Post by Lawls »

Caesius wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:Hindsight (and a replay) would show me that even if you choose not to race Emi, you are NOT supposed to let Misha/Shizune have any information about the nature of your condition. The choices are Make them be patient about it/Explode at them.
This seems to be a consequence of Hisao having different personalities depending on who he "picks." Apparently, if you go on Shizune's path (choosing not to run with Emi, choosing "Maybe" for the nurse health choice), Hisao is in denial of his condition and won't tell Misha and Shizune why he's a cripple even when he gets tired out from throwing balls. But if he goes on Emi's path he's forced to come to terms with his limits, and on Lilly's path he calmly reveals his condition to Lilly and Rin when they're walking back to Yamaku -- either because he's comfortable with them knowing it, or because he gets a different personality from going after Lilly and Rin, but probably both. On Hanako's path I don't recall him revealing his condition, but if he did (or when he does in the future), it will probably only serve to have Hanako and Hisao support each other and come to terms with their respective conditions, rather than Hisao fixin' her up or Emi fixin' up Hisao.

I guess what Aura wanted to do with the "Go for it" choice was have the player realize Hisao's limits, but still know that Hisao wouldn't be comfortable letting just anyone know his condition -- so Emi's path will definitely put a lot of emphasis on Hisao's condition, whereas if there's any focus on Emi's "disability" at all it will probably only deal with the history and how she managed to come to terms with it. Shizune's path, on the other hand, is for the "stubborn" Hisao, who refuses to acknowledge his condition. Then there's the Kenji bad end, for the "angry" Hisao who is in fact so devastated by his condition that it causes him to push everyone away, leaving him alone and broken (literally).

Unfortunately, even if statistically the results indicate that Aura had achieved what he had intended, in a practical sense the options would often not correspond to how the player would expect Hisao to react. The choices themselves aren't necessarily wrong, but are only wrong in the sense of how the writer of that scene interpreted the choice and how Hisao reacts to or executes the choice, which is the cause of the many "WTF?" reactions from players.

From the way Act 1 went, I imagine it will be difficult for different players to make correct choices on different paths depending on the player's own personality and the personality that is (supposed to be) ascribed to Hisao on that particular path. To make the right choices on the paths where Hisao's personality differs from the player's will require the player to determine Hisao's personality, with any errors in their interpretation of "X's path Hisao" resulting in "wrong" decisions which in turn lead to bad or lesser endings.
So are you saying that most people playing as themselves will end up with Ibarazaki and because you have to go out of your way to avoid her it breaks the point of trying to put yourself in Nakai's shoes. So do you want more opportunity's to go with different girls while being conciseness of your condition.
(feel for to correct me for I do not think I am getting everything your trying to convey)
<Aura> "For a long time now, I've thought it doesn't matter one bit whether they are disabled or not."

"But it’s looking like it may actually happen before we all die." - cpl_crud
  • "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Lawls wrote:So are you saying that most people playing as themselves will end up with Ibarazaki and because you have to go out of your way to avoid her it breaks the point of trying to put yourself in Nakai's shoes. So do you want more opportunity's to go with different girls while being conciseness of your condition.
(feel for to correct me for I do not think I am getting everything your trying to convey)
It's not so much that they're playing as themselves as they are making what they think are the best choices, only Hisao takes those choices to an extreme (as that's the personality ascribed to him by those choices).

My point isn't that a player has to go out of his way to avoid Emi, but that the player has to make a choice between two different Hisaos, with each Hisao being established only after the choice has been made. It's like one of those retarded Internet quizzes where each choice gives you points towards a certain result, and even if a result doesn't have a majority of points it's still what you get -- rather than giving you a result that is an amalgamation of the possible "vanilla" results based on your unique choices. This could potentially result in Hisao's personality shifting wildly with certain choice combinations, if such an issue hasn't already reared its head in certain Act 1 playthroughs -- in fact, if anything, this issue is most likely to occur in Act 1, given that Act 1 is sort of like a "What KS girl would you end up with?" quiz. And of course, much like how every "What genre of music are you?" quiz gives "Indie" for half the quiz takers, Act 1 gives Emi for half the players.

It's not so much a criticism as it is an observation. The devs can take this observation and either say, "This is exactly what we don't want to happen," or they can say "We're going to have to be careful, flexible, and smart to ensure that this game plays like a good Internet quiz."
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:This seems to be a consequence of Hisao having different personalities depending on who he "picks."
I concur, though I believe it has to do with the fact that each path has it's own writer. For Hisao, they have a description of his character traits, a template of him if you will. This template has Hisao's condition, and his status as the new kid in school as overtones, and it is up to the writer on to what extent and how they use these two themes. They are free to write as they please (within certain boundaries) and can individually bend Hisao's personality according to the needs of their story. This is not wrong, but it may cause inconsistencies, especially since you go through all paths a little bit in act one. In other words, you are not playing as the same Hisao throughout the game. Looking at your post I realize that for Shizune's path, Hisao's coming to terms with his disease is something hard for him to do. His depression at the festival exemplifies this. It is apparent that this is one of the themes of Shizune's path. And I believe that it is a good decision. This makes for deep and engaging writing. But it is not a part of the other paths. Along the other paths, their Hisao's have their own demons to battle with, but I think now I understand why I choose wrong the first time. I was playing Shizune's path in a way that would have fit another path better, like Emi's. Actually, I had just come from two major plot points with Emi, the second day of exercise, and her tending to me in the nurse's office after racing her. So jumping back on to Shizune's path was like jumping into different Hisao's shoes.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

I got Shizune because I WAS TRYING TO GET MISHA

;_;
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

G3n0c1de wrote:So jumping back on to Shizune's path was like jumping into different Hisao's shoes.
Actually, you were trying to jump back into Shizune's path, but since Emi-Hisao and Shizune-Hisao are mutually incompatible with one another I guess you essentially broke from the five girls' paths altogether by trying to have Hisao act around Shizune as he would around Emi, thus landing you in the Kenji path. But that's probably not the only contradiction in the choices you made for Hisao; I didn't look at the flow chart and don't care to figure out its intricacies, but I imagine you also picked "Maybe" when Nurse talked to you and then proceeded to "Go for it!" with Emi. This coupled with the "trying to get Shizune by acting as Emi-Hisao" contradiction was probably one too many contradictions to handle.

It's just a theory though, and I suggest you go through the flow chart yourself to see exactly what happened, especially as to why you didn't end up with Emi. It's in the support forum.

Edit: Specifically, here: http://ks.renai.us/download/file.php?id=957
Last edited by Caesius on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:It's just a theory though, and I suggest you go through the flow chart yourself to see exactly what happened, especially as to why you didn't end up with Emi. It's in the support forum.
Strictly looking at the flow chart, I did a hybridized version of Shizune's and Emi's paths. I had no choices where I had to take one path or the other, so I kept on doing pro-Shizune and pro-Emi choices. They weren't mutually exclusive. (My second playthrough would reveal that one such choice does come up if I hadn't destroyed Shizune's path. The choice of who to eat lunch with that day. Both Shizune and Emi invite you to lunch.) I'm not exactly sure on why I didn't get Emi. Perhaps I didn't make enough anti-Shizune choices? I even was enthusiastic about exercise when the nurse asked me about it. On my second playthrough I found that it is perfectly fine to do a Shizune/Emi path and still end up with Shizune. If I had only had made Misha be patient about my whereabouts earlier that day, I could have chosen to go to lunch with Misha and Shizune, eventually leading to fireworks on the roof with the pair. (Funnily enough, after seeing what happened with Kenji, I thought I would be taking a second trip off the roof when Shizune brought me up there.) Looking at the flow chart, it isn't so much making pro-Emi choices, as it is making anti-everyone else choices, until the very end.

[Edit]: Hmm, looking over the flowchart's 'Kenji' route, it seems that the 'Yeah sure I was having fun at the nurse's office...' choice is the nail in the coffin for that path. I'm not sure, but maybe when you make that choice, you are locked to that path regardless of everything else you've done?
Last edited by G3n0c1de on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Just to be sure, were you looking at the right flowchart? The one on the first page of the thread is rather basic; the current flowchart is on the last page of the thread. I edited in a direct link to it in my last post just as you posted.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:Just to be sure, were you looking at the right flowchart? The one on the first page of the thread is rather basic; the current flowchart is on the last page of the thread. I edited in a direct link to it in my last post just as you posted.
... I was not looking at your flow chart, you are correct. I will look it over now.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

As I thought. My choice was a 'dumb' choice. Locking me into the green Kenji path.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

G3n0c1de wrote:As I thought. My choice was a 'dumb' choice. Locking me into the green Kenji path.
Looking at the flowchart myself, it turns out that no matter how many points towards Emi you have, if you pick that one "dumb" choice you end up with Kenji.

I think that was the one scene I never unlocked with the infamous line: "Fuck off, Misha." But I wonder what exactly it was about that scene that moots any Emi points. Does he mentally state that he dislikes Emi?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Caesius wrote:
Lawls wrote:So are you saying that most people playing as themselves will end up with Ibarazaki and because you have to go out of your way to avoid her it breaks the point of trying to put yourself in Nakai's shoes. So do you want more opportunity's to go with different girls while being conciseness of your condition.
It's not so much that they're playing as themselves as they are making what they think are the best choices, only Hisao takes those choices to an extreme (as that's the personality ascribed to him by those choices).

My point isn't that a player has to go out of his way to avoid Emi, but that the player has to make a choice between two different Hisaos, with each Hisao being established only after the choice has been made. It's like one of those retarded Internet quizzes etc etc
Problem here is that you think KS is a personality test. It's not, and wasn't made with this kind of thing in mind. It's a story.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Aura wrote:
Caesius wrote:

My point isn't that a player has to go out of his way to avoid Emi, but that the player has to make a choice between two different Hisaos, with each Hisao being established only after the choice has been made. It's like one of those retarded Internet quizzes etc etc
Problem here is that you think KS is a personality test. It's not, and wasn't made with this kind of thing in mind. It's a story.
Yes, but that's not to say that how a player progresses through the story isn't driven by their personality just as their preferences drive them towards certain girls. There will be people out there who will not pick "Go for it" (perhaps even half the players, apparently) but those who do will pick it for different reasons - whether it's because they don't want to be a quitter, or because they want to impress the girl, or because they think the other option just sucks. Hell, if Hisao goes for Shizune then he's supposed to be competitive.

However, looking at the flowchart to see how "Go for it" plopped me down with Emi with no option for Shizune, I see there was a flag check that counted a choice I made way back on something like Day 2, where I chose to try and talk to Hanako instead of waiting with Misha and Shizune. So I guess you prepared the Emi path for those of us who can neither make up our minds nor resist the temptation to pick the "best" option. Still, if you had held a Shizune/Hanako a few days later I bet a lot more people would've ended up with Shizune as they likely would've settled into actually choosing a girl by then, but I guess since Hanako and Shizune are basically exact opposites of each other it was dumb of me to think that I could go off and try on hit on Hanako and then try to backpedal into the Shizune path.

So I guess the design was fine and we're all just a bunch of idiots? derp
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Nah, I'm merely saying your approach to pondering how the choices work is directly opposite to how they were actually made (whether that counts for anything is up to anyone's guess). It's clear that a player's personality and preferences affect the choices they make and the route they end up with, but I didn't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about that. You can interpret KS as a personality test, and it's been done before. But it wasn't made to be one.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Deimos

Your First Playthrough

Post by Deimos »

After I had made a first impression of the characters I deduced that Hanako held many stereotypical (or for the sake of blatant euphemism - archetypical) traits.
So I went for her path to see how good the author/developing team was. If she would have been an amalgam of the most boring and repetitive patterns of VN-characters I'd have deleted KS by now.
To say the least I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the writing concerning her and all other people appearing in this game.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Malus_Phasmatis

Post by Malus_Phasmatis »

I got the Kenji end first. By the time I had decided on which route I wanted to follow it was too late.
"Time and place are nothing. Constructs of a feeble mortal mind attempting to categorize and understand the world around it."