Wayyy to much time on my hands...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Solunar

Re: Wayyy to much time on my hands...

Post by Solunar »

Yeah, Lily would be considered tall. I'm 5'8/178cm, and most girls come up to my shoulder or chin. So much so that I've develop a slight hunch from talking down to my friends. Most guys are either my height or shorter. I was on the train today and most of the guys came up to my shoulder. :(
Bara

Post by Bara »

Solunar wrote:Yeah, Lily would be considered tall. I'm 5'8/178cm, and most girls come up to my shoulder or chin. So much so that I've develop a slight hunch from talking down to my friends. Most guys are either my height or shorter. I was on the train today and most of the guys came up to my shoulder. :(
Ugh, this brings back some bad memories. I remember always being the biggest kid in class until the 8th grade. If I got into fights with kids from my class I was always wrong without considering who started it because I was bigger, and if older kids picked fights with me it was assumed to be an even fight simply because of size. No one considered they had 2 or 3 more years experience, more strength, and better coordination. I was happy as hell when we got another guy in class that was half an inch taller than me. I found out when I got to know him he was held back a year because he had fractured some vertebae in his neck falling off a fence so he was actualy a year older than I was.
Even to this day I still try to minimize my height and I'm not that tall. Plenty of guys are much taller than I am; I just got my growth earlier than most and stoped growing sooner. Even to this day, I still try to say I'm shorter than I am. I claim 5 fool 11 inches height; my medical records say 5' 11.5", but my family and everyone else say I'm either 6' or 6' 1".

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Solunar

Post by Solunar »

Poor thing. I always thought tall guys had it easy. Since they're guys and expected to be tall. Wait, you are a guy right? I hate having a bad posture! But it's really hard to cultivate a good posture when the people you talk to are shorter.

I think it's kind of lucky that Lily is blind. :? Being that tall and living in Japan... If she stepped into a train everyone would stare at her, or give the shifty trying-to-look-but-not-be-so-obvious stare. On a good day, the attention is great, but when you're not very well dressed, it gets a bit annoying. Plus, some people don't even bother trying to disguise their stares. Perverts. :roll:
toast

Post by toast »

I am short, but i have a terrible posture anyway, from hunching over and playing game boy, nintendo, etc when i was little.
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
Bara

Post by Bara »

Solunar wrote:Poor thing. I always thought tall guys had it easy. Since they're guys and expected to be tall. Wait, you are a guy right?
Eh, ancient history for me once my growth stopped. I mean it could have been worse for me as a kid growing up. If you are large some people seem to think that means you are automaticly stupid. I always loved reading. I was very smart for my age and could generaly blow peoples expectations out of the water. Also if I wanted to be left alone to read it was easier to get classmates to leave me alone just by glareing at them. :roll:
Yes, for what its worth on the internet, I'm a guy. :wink:
(trust me, no one lies on the internet, right? ) :twisted:
Solunar wrote:I hate having a bad posture! But it's really hard to cultivate a good posture when the people you talk to are shorter.
Bad posture? Make your friends wear platform shoes! :wink:
Slouching can conceal a small amount of height, but it only has a limited effect. I found it was best to try to let other people forget your height. Some things that I found helpful as a kid were a calm and quiet demeanor because excited people take up more visual space; remain seated when the opportunity is there and let shorter people stand; maintain some extra distance when possible because an extra 6 inches of space can go quite a ways towards fooling the eye.
Solunar wrote:I think it's kind of lucky that Lily is blind. :? Being that tall and living in Japan... If she stepped into a train everyone would stare at her, or give the shifty trying-to-look-but-not-be-so-obvious stare. On a good day, the attention is great, but when you're not very well dressed, it gets a bit annoying. Plus, some people don't even bother trying to disguise their stares. Perverts. :roll:
Hmm, my first guess is that they would stare at her anyway for being blind and useing a cane no matter what her height was.
Luckily for me I'm decades past the age where any one spends their time checking me out. :mrgreen:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Solunar

Post by Solunar »

So, you could be a girl pretending to be a guy who lies about being a guy? Yes, I shall make my friends wear platform shoes and we shall all dance the disco together! :lol: Hoho, my demeanor isn't exactly the calmest. Quite the opposite, since I'm used to the attention due to my height, I'm pretty outgoing. I don't mind the height, I just wished I had perfect or good posture. Must not slouch!

I wonder if Lily cleans the whiteboard in their class, since she's probably the tallest. Or do they get Kenji to do it since he has the most vision. Wait, do they even use the whiteboard?
Bara

Post by Bara »

Solunar wrote:So, you could be a girl pretending to be a guy who lies about being a guy?
I could? I suppose I'll have to tell my girlfriend she has been a lesbian for the last 14 years and it is time for her to come out of the closet! :wink:
Solunar wrote:Yes, I shall make my friends wear platform shoes and we shall all dance the disco together! :lol: Hoho, my demeanor isn't exactly the calmest. Quite the opposite, since I'm used to the attention due to my height, I'm pretty outgoing. I don't mind the height, I just wished I had perfect or good posture. Must not slouch!
Well, party on! If you are satisfied with your stature you should revel in it if possible.
Solunar wrote:I wonder if Lily cleans the whiteboard in their class, since she's probably the tallest. Or do they get Kenji to do it since he has the most vision. Wait, do they even use the whiteboard?
In a classroom for the visualy impared the chalkboards are not used much. From what little I was told by a blind friend I had in highschool, a lot of the instructors time is spent in transcribing homework assignments and such into braille for the students. Just like I don't think Lilly replaces the lightbulb in her dorm room too often... how could she tell if it was burned out without someone else telling her?

Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Bara wrote:In a classroom for the visualy impared the chalkboards are not used much. From what little I was told by a blind friend I had in highschool, a lot of the instructors time is spent in transcribing homework assignments and such into braille for the students. Just like I don't think Lilly replaces the lightbulb in her dorm room too often... how could she tell if it was burned out without someone else telling her?
Wikipedia article on blindness wrote:It should be noted that blind people with undamaged eyes may still register light non-visually for the purpose of circadian entrainment to the 24-hour light/dark cycle. Light signals for this purpose travel through the retinohypothalamic tract (RHT), so a damaged optic nerve beyond where the RHT exits it is no hindrance.
I don't think that will allow them to tell if a lightbulb is burnt out, though, lol.

If she uses incandescent lightbulbs for her room, they give off heat when they're on.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Even flourescent bulbs warm up. My point was not so much wether or not she was able to detect if a bulb was on or not but wether it would occur to Lilly to even check. As a rule 100% blind people do not immediately look for a lightswitch on entering a dark room. Lightswitchs and lightbulbs are not realy germain to their life except as convieniences for sighted people around them.

Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Bara wrote:Plenty of guys are much taller than I am; I just got my growth earlier than most and stoped growing sooner. Even to this day, I still try to say I'm shorter than I am. I claim 5 fool 11 inches height; my medical records say 5' 11.5", but my family and everyone else say I'm either 6' or 6' 1".
My god are you some kind of evil twin? I'm exactly the same...

Well, and to jump in about posture, my parents were real sticklers about it when I was little, so I have pretty good posture, personally. That, coupled with the fact that I got used to constantly wearing a suit in high school, and I'm almost always in an assertive stance, though now I don't square my shoulders so much anymore and pull them forward about half an inch to prevent my body language from being too pretentious.
静音是买外夫
Bara

Post by Bara »

Warwick wrote:My god are you some kind of evil twin? I'm exactly the same...
No! I"M THE LAST SANE MAN ON EARTH!! Oops! Sorry, I was having a Kenji moment there... :oops:
Warwick wrote:Well, and to jump in about posture, my parents were real sticklers about it when I was little, so I have pretty good posture, personally. That, coupled with the fact that I got used to constantly wearing a suit in high school, and I'm almost always in an assertive stance, though now I don't square my shoulders so much anymore and pull them forward about half an inch to prevent my body language from being too pretentious.
Oddly enough, I do not try for correct posture or to deliberately slouch. I aim to have a neutral body posture and facial expression unless I'm deliberately trying to convey something different. Yet family and other people who know me well will ask me what I'm angry about when my brain is ticking along in neutral; idlly processing thoughts about things such as... cheese. These are all people that have seen me before when I've snapped and they should know better. It used to annoy me, but now it ammuses me. When they ask I make up a bs seismic reading and tell them that instead of trying to explain once again I'm not angry or upset and I'm realy thinking about nothing at all. :roll:

Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Bara wrote:Yet family and other people who know me well will ask me what I'm angry about when my brain is ticking along in neutral.
My family gives me a similar response asking me why I look grumpy even though it's my neutral face that I use all the time. Whenever I'm deep in thought, I completely block out things around me and it takes quite a bit to get my attention again.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
abscess

Post by abscess »

oh, the neutral face carries some issues with it, even though one's just trying to pay attention or think about cheese or a fine lady's bosom, people may interpret it as grumpiness. Most of my close family knows, so they don't even ask, but some friends are still yet to get it.
Siiiiigh....
Bara

Post by Bara »

abscess wrote:oh, the neutral face carries some issues with it, even though one's just trying to pay attention or think about cheese or a fine lady's bosom, people may interpret it as grumpiness. Most of my close family knows, so they don't even ask, but some friends are still yet to get it.
I guess your family is smarter than mine.

Great, now I have conclusive proof I come from a long line of idiots. :roll:

CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Ah, I often like to sing tunes when I'm in neutral mode.Unfortunately, I never actually sing it, just mouth out the lyrics and bob my head up and down to the imaginary beat. So the effect is that I usually look like I'm either mentally unwell or trying to impersonate a fish.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.