Paths' effect on Hisao

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Solunar

Re: Paths' effect on Hisao

Post by Solunar »

I thought Rin would make him feel calm and at peace with the world and not stress out too much. :lol:

Plus, he has to help her move pots of paint and art supplies, so that's some mild exercise there.

Why yes, Rin is my favourite. :mrgreen:
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

Rin's awesome. Plus, she's probably the one I'd get along with the most for realz.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Nope, it's Emi for my preference. She is focused, dedicated, monomaniacal, possibly even Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. What more could you want? :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Kazukagi

Post by Kazukagi »

I, personally, see this game as Hisao finding a way to cope with his condition and ultimately live a normal life. He comes out of the hospital all "Woe is me", and thinking very adamantly that he has lost the chance to live a normal life. Thus, depending on which route is followed, Hisao finds a different way of dealing with his condition.

Kenji is the easiest to start with because it shows that origin point. Hisao doesn't go after any girl, and as a result is lost and aimless. He continues to wallow in his self-pity, and since one cannot deal with such a condition with a negative attitude, he ultimately doesn't even get that normal life, he dies before he can realize it.

Shizune shows Hisao that people with conditions like him can live a normal life regardless, through example. Despite being deaf and mute, she is able be president of the Student Council, coordinate an entire school festival, and still have time to play games and hang out with friends. In turn, Hisao deals with his problem by simply trying to live the fullest life he can, not letting his condition weigh heavily on his mind or get too much in his way.

Rin simply takes Hisao's mind off the fact that he has such a condition in the first place. Everything about her is roundabout. Roundabout thought processes and roundabout actions needed to do things without arms. Hisao begins to ignore his condition, or if he needs to do something that stresses his heart, find a roundabout solution that doesn't strain it so much.

Hanako shows Hisao a kind of dignity in having such a condition. Rather than attending the festival, Hisao retreats to a secluded place. He begins to enjoy reading in solitude with Hanako, or spending time alone or with only her. Rather than an active, social life, Hisao fades into the background, only deals with close friends, and looks on his condition with quiet dignity. He isn't a potato, he just enjoys a more relaxed attitude towards both his life, and condition.

Emi teaches Hisao to take total control over his condition. Rather than ignore his condition, or simply work around it, Hisao actively tries to improve himself physically in order to lessen the strain on his heart. Emi gives Hisao an active, hands on approach to his condition, allowing him to feel as if he controls his life, not his medication or condition.

Lily is an acceptance. Lily is blind, and so she understands that there are things she cannot do, and needs help with. As such, Hisao looks at life in this way. Rather than fading into the background, or trying to improve his condition, Hisao accepts it. He learns his limits, and doesn't push them. He does anything that he can do without straining his heart, and asks for help from others for things that would push him too far.

Okay, that was a lot of text. Here's the tl;dr version
Kenji: Negative and hopeless outlook leads to death
Shizune: Act normal despite your condition, living a normal life.
Rin: Ignore condition distract yourself with other things, while finding roundabout solutions for actions that your condition stops you from doing.
Hanako: Realize your condition's effects on you and retreat from normal society. Find a solace in your those close to you, peace, quiet and dignity.
Emi: Take control of your life and body, constantly push and improve yourself in order to break free from the constraints of your condition.
Lily: Know and accept your limits, live normally within them, and ask for help when it is necessary to work out of them.
Life and death may be back to back, but they will never face each other. I'll show you, this is what it means to kill something..." -Shiki Tohno
mwalimu

Post by mwalimu »

A very thorough analysis. One I would have interpreted differently is Shizune, where her short form lesson is Don't let your disability stop you from setting and achieving goals and making a difference.
Kazukagi

Post by Kazukagi »

mwalimu wrote:A very thorough analysis. One I would have interpreted differently is Shizune, where her short form lesson is Don't let your disability stop you from setting and achieving goals and making a difference.
I was actually thinking along those lines, though I didn't articulate it that well. I like that though.
Life and death may be back to back, but they will never face each other. I'll show you, this is what it means to kill something..." -Shiki Tohno
Jyo_ni

Post by Jyo_ni »

I'd say Hanako's role/route is that Hisao becomes less ego-centric in that yes he has to worry about his condition but he has to learn to be in total consideration with hanako nearly all the time due to her extremely timid nature. Yes, you can argue that he learns he's not the only one with problems in all the girls routes but I'd say he becomes/will become(?) a bit more altruistic(even though altruism doesn't exist but lets not get into that debate) in Hanako's.