Is Shizune rich?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Teclo

Is Shizune rich?

Post by Teclo »

Just a silly in-universe question. Is Shizune's family rich and do they send her a lot of money? Or does she just have a part-time job? It took a while for it to sink in, but she seems to have almost limitless money. She keeps buying three portions of everything - well, apart from the times she wriggles out of it somehow - and will generally treat people to all sorts of things. I mean, even though she's going to be 16-18, she might as well be 10 as far as income goes since she doesn't seem to have time for a part-time job.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
Spoon

Re: Is Shizune rich?

Post by Spoon »

You know, that would make sense. Or maybe it's one of those things where she tries to use her actions (like buying things) to directly talk to someone instead of using a translator. Hmm.
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Teclo wrote:Just a silly in-universe question. Is Shizune's family rich and do they send her a lot of money? Or does she just have a part-time job? It took a while for it to sink in, but she seems to have almost limitless money. She keeps buying three portions of everything - well, apart from the times she wriggles out of it somehow - and will generally treat people to all sorts of things. I mean, even though she's going to be 16-18, she might as well be 10 as far as income goes since she doesn't seem to have time for a part-time job.
Embezzelment of Student Council funds? Only 2 people in the Student Council so it could be easy to do. I mean, is Misha going to narc on her when she is also benfiting from it? :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Everyone who goes to Yamaku probably has parents who are at least upper-middle class, when you think about it.
SirAkbar

Post by SirAkbar »

I got the "rich girl" impression of her as well.

I thought Hisao was rather ungentlemanly for letting himself be payed for more than once like that, though.
janz

Post by janz »

I think it's part of Japanese culture which is male always before female. I read many stories on how Japanese educate kids to be like this. Even in the US, Japanese girls tend to trail behind and holding doors open for males. I'm studying in a university in the US. Several times I myself did hold doors for Japanese girls, then they just say something like "go ahead" or "you go first". It's kind strange to me, but understandable.

Shizune's end spoiler ahead

I don't know if you remember, but at Shizune's end, both Shizune and Misha waited for Hisao to take the first bite even they wanted to eat.
On monday, Hisao actually told Lily "Lady first", I think this has to do with Lily been half Japanese. I thought it''s strange to let a blind person take the lead.
I donno if the authors planned this or it's just a coincidence. I thought those details are very interesting and wonderful to be included.
Simplified Chinese Progress - good
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

Hmm, that's interesting. I would have expected Japanese girls to be the least like "oh no, you go ahead" because their society seems to be very old fashioned, so they'd accept that kind of behaviour. English girls will generally not notice you're holding the door open or will react in the way you described the Japanese girls as doing; that's because being so chivalrous seems a little silly nowadays and, what's more, it can be taken as quite patronising.

Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

The things she buys don't cost very much, do they? Given she's away at a boarding school, I wouldn't be surprised if her parents allow her a certain amount of money each month to spend on things like that.
Spoon

Post by Spoon »

SirAkbar wrote:I thought Hisao was rather ungentlemanly for letting himself be payed for more than once like that, though.
It's a hint to her hidden dominatrix persona. You just know she's into whips, chains, and making people scream.
Well, not screaming, but you know.
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
abscess

Post by abscess »

Teclo wrote:Hmm, that's interesting. I would have expected Japanese girls to be the least like "oh no, you go ahead" because their society seems to be very old fashioned, so they'd accept that kind of behaviour. English girls will generally not notice you're holding the door open or will react in the way you described the Japanese girls as doing; that's because being so chivalrous seems a little silly nowadays and, what's more, it can be taken as quite patronising.
Interesting view. A good chunk the men from my country have at least the decency to open a door to women or elder people and their response is either indifference or just a plain "thanks", but when in the US, and this has happened to me a lot after opening the door to someone else, they look at me as if I did something strange and some other thank me while smiling a lot. I find that odd.
As for the japanese girls, I also find that odd. But yeah, that's mostly cultural shock perhaps (or whatev's it's called).
Spoon wrote:
SirAkbar wrote:I thought Hisao was rather ungentlemanly for letting himself be payed for more than once like that, though.
It's a hint to her hidden dominatrix persona. You just know she's into whips, chains, and making people scream.
Well, not screaming, but you know.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that those are hints of her dominatrix persona, but maybe she's just so used to leading that she doesn't even notice anymore. Probably if Hisao said something like "it's fine, I'll pay for mine" she could feel somewhat confounded because of that, and if she's easy to piss off, maybe even angry. The other choice could be that she was just paying for his meals just to convince him enter the Council, after that she may ask him to pay her :lol:
Siiiiigh....
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

Fronzel wrote:The things she buys don't cost very much, do they? Given she's away at a boarding school, I wouldn't be surprised if her parents allow her a certain amount of money each month to spend on things like that.
You'd be surprised how quickly it all adds up. She seems to buy 3 times the amount of stuff at least once a day. Even on a modest part-time job wage, that'll clear you out before you knew it. I mean, let's say I went to a pub and bought a meal (this is considered a pretty cheap option here) but then I also bought one for two of my friends, and a pint each. That's £21 or about $35 gone in one go. Doing that once a day, for a week, would cost me £147 or about £250. Then again, now that I think of it, the cakes that she bought (or at least, was going to buy before she ran away) were meant to be incredibly small and not at all filling. I guess when I do her route again I'll pay extra attention to exactly what it is that she buys.

Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

abscess wrote:
Teclo wrote:Hmm, that's interesting. I would have expected Japanese girls to be the least like "oh no, you go ahead" because their society seems to be very old fashioned, so they'd accept that kind of behaviour. English girls will generally not notice you're holding the door open or will react in the way you described the Japanese girls as doing; that's because being so chivalrous seems a little silly nowadays and, what's more, it can be taken as quite patronising.
Interesting view. A good chunk the men from my country have at least the decency to open a door to women or elder people and their response is either indifference or just a plain "thanks", but when in the US, and this has happened to me a lot after opening the door to someone else, they look at me as if I did something strange and some other thank me while smiling a lot. I find that odd.
As for the japanese girls, I also find that odd. But yeah, that's mostly cultural shock perhaps (or whatev's it's called).
Hmm, that's interesting. I must be weird. I'm from the American Midwest, and I hold doors open all the time for people, male and female, young and old. Generally I just get a quick thanks when I do it. I haven't had anyone look at me funny for holding open a door for them.

Then again, it might be because I live in a rural area. I live outside of any city limits, and most of the towns in my general area are less then 10,000 people. The closest town to me has a population of 50.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
toast

Post by toast »

Validus Razgriz wrote: Then again, it might be because I live in a rural area. I live outside of any city limits, and most of the towns in my general area are less then 10,000 people. The closest town to me has a population of 50.
yeah dude, nobody does that shit in the city anymore.
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

toast wrote:
Validus Razgriz wrote: Then again, it might be because I live in a rural area. I live outside of any city limits, and most of the towns in my general area are less then 10,000 people. The closest town to me has a population of 50.
yeah dude, nobody does that shit in the city anymore.
I think it depends on what city you're talking about. I go to Minneapolis/St. Paul all the time, and they act pretty much the same when I hold open doors.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
atat

Post by atat »

First: Shizune would totally want Hisao to scream. I personally think it would be some sort of thing similar to the end of 'the replacements 'where brian murhphy celebrates @ the end, by encouraging the crowd to roar..

Second: I hold doors open for people all the time, and I expect likewise, from woman or men, just not elderly or kids.
Nixons back!!!!