Jigsaw kid [News article]

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

linger

Jigsaw kid [News article]

Post by linger »

I saw this on digg, and figured it might be relevant to KS...maybe for KS After Story?

"A girl has been nicknamed the 'Jigsaw Kid' after she survived being born with five spleens, a hole in her heart, a diseased and back to front liver, two left lungs and her stomach on the wrong side.

Bethany Jordan, six, was born with many of her organs back to front but amazed doctors who had warned her parents, Lisa, 37, and Robert, 44, there was little chance she would survive birth.

Her problems mean that, while she looks a picture of health, she cannot stand up to some of the normal rigours and strains of an average child.

Bethany, of Stourbridge, West Midlands, sufferers from Ivemark Syndrome, an extremely rare genetic disorder, characterised by a poorly-formed cardiovascular system and organs in the wrong place.

Strangely, when she exercises too much, her heart can be seen beating through her back."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... rgans.html

:|
jijhijhet

Re: Jigsaw kid [News article]

Post by jijhijhet »

Very.... intresting...
I kare not about grammer ro speling
Seroanth

Post by Seroanth »

Maximum relevance to Katawa Shoujo.

Anyway, good for her.
Jyo_ni

Post by Jyo_ni »

I was born with two holes in my heart but I got nothing on this girl.....5 spleens though? Having looked up wikipedia(citations my arse arts faculty) it tells me that the function of the spleen is to break down and recycle old red blood cells, act as a blood reservoir(like for cuts and what not) and where white blood cells trap organisms. So I'm guessing she'd have a pretty sweet immune system. Although the thing about the heart beating through her back gives me the chills :shock:
Tarage

Post by Tarage »

Krull wrote:In other words if you don't have something to say we like-shut up?
That IS the text book definition of not having something to say. Or do you go around emitting random bizarre and disturbing noises where ever you go?

EDIT: And, if you didn't notice, KS already has SIX "poster kid"s. They're called the main characters.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Okay, I'm gonna ask the stupid questions here:
How much of a chance is there for her to survive an operation where her organs are "flipped" the correct way?
Better yet, is it even doable? That kind of procedure, I mean.

The two left lungs thing are a problem I think, so she'd probably need a right lung from a donor. Heart transplant isn't something from another world so it could be made so she has a heart without a hole, or am I wrong somewhere? Are the four extra spleens much of a problem? because, as someone said, they could provide extra immunity.
Siiiiigh....
Jyo_ni

Post by Jyo_ni »

Heart transplant isn't something from another world so it could be made so she has a heart without a hole, or am I wrong somewhere?
You don't need a full transplant for this because the hearts working absolutely fine, it just has a hole it in which can be stitched up.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Jyo_ni wrote:
Heart transplant isn't something from another world so it could be made so she has a heart without a hole, or am I wrong somewhere?
You don't need a full transplant for this because the hearts working absolutely fine, it just has a hole it in which can be stitched up.
I didn't know that. Well, I don't have much knowledge when it comes to medical topics, only the resourceful wikipedia and google engine. After that the heart is just fine like any other or is there something left? like a wound or damage that doesn't let the heart be the same as any other?
Siiiiigh....
Jyo_ni

Post by Jyo_ni »

After that the heart is just fine like any other or is there something left? like a wound or damage that doesn't let the heart be the same as any other?
I can't give you a definite answer since I only know from my experience of having holes in the heart but as far as any remaining damage, I'd say no and that that the heart becomes completely normal. Although a side effect from my holes and/or operation is that my heart has an abnormal rhythm in which it'll miss or get an extra beat and have random palpitations(sometimes at random start beating extremely fast for no reason) but I seriously doubt that happens to all post heart op people.
Azolgar

Post by Azolgar »

In the near future she will undergo genetical treatment. However, the treatment will leave her partially insane and with super powers, turning her into the super-villan known as 'Jigsaw' who will then strive for world domination.

Well, that's what the article made me think about anyway.
Layzuhl

Post by Layzuhl »

Man, if I had five spleens, I'd eat so many Peeps.

Or do I have the spleen mixed up with some other organ?
abscess

Post by abscess »

@ Jyo_ni
Thanks for the info.
Siiiiigh....
kobe

Post by kobe »

When i first read the topic title, i thought somebody had gone insane and started doing Saw I to V in real life.
FIVE pleens?! that could be one SWEET immunity system indeed!
Bara

Post by Bara »

kobe wrote:When i first read the topic title, i thought somebody had gone insane and started doing Saw I to V in real life.
Ahh, assuming all five spleens are fully functional I guess.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Zero_kun

Post by Zero_kun »

kobe wrote:When i first read the topic title, i thought somebody had gone insane and started doing Saw I to V in real life.
Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

But, she's sure tough girl I ever seen. o.o
There's a very Wise Man once said "I don't know, go ask woman"