Hey, I figured something out about Misha's nicknames.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Spoon

Hey, I figured something out about Misha's nicknames.

Post by Spoon »

They all begin with a subject pronoun. See, Misha has nicknames for Hisao, Shizune, and Yuuko. Hicchan, Shicchan, and Yuu-chan could be read as "he-chan, she-chan, and you-chan." This doesn't really work unless you pronounce them like English names, and chances are that it's just a random coincidence, but... yeah.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to graph some conspiracy correlations.
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
Bara

Re: Hey, I figured something out about Misha's nicknames.

Post by Bara »

Spoon wrote:They all begin with a subject pronoun. See, Misha has nicknames for Hisao, Shizune, and Yuuko. Hicchan, Shicchan, and Yuu-chan could be read as "he-chan, she-chan, and you-chan." This doesn't really work unless you pronounce them like English names, and chances are that it's just a random coincidence, but... yeah.

You can ask Kenji to borrow his puppets.... :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Akira

Post by Akira »

Spoon wrote:They all begin with a subject pronoun. See, Misha has nicknames for Hisao, Shizune, and Yuuko. Hicchan, Shicchan, and Yuu-chan could be read as "he-chan, she-chan, and you-chan." This doesn't really work unless you pronounce them like English names, and chances are that it's just a random coincidence, but... yeah.

No doubt feminist organisation codenames for some heinous plot! :twisted:
kslover

Post by kslover »

Akira wrote:

ach da meine guttee
all of which makes me anxious, at times unbearably so
wir sind wir
REJECT FALSE ICONS!
if you're losing your soul and know it then you still have a soul to lose.
its better to light a candle than complain about the dark.
NichtDu

Post by NichtDu »

kslover wrote:
Akira wrote:

ach da meine guttee
Ach du meine Güte :D
Spoon

Post by Spoon »

If Misha had a nickname for herself, it would probably be Micchan...
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Misha IS her nickname, isn't it? According to the main site, her name is Shiina “Misha” Mikado...

See for yourself.
http://katawa-shoujo.com/characters.php
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

What about the other characters? I mean, she basically takes the first two or three letters and adds '-chan' to it.

Lily = Liichan

Hanako = Haachan

Emi and Rin's names are too short to really even need nicknames.
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

No they aren't.

Riichan
Mmchan - By that I mean to imply she'd shorten Emi to that subtle 'um' noise the japanese seem to use to indicate a response in the affirmative, like we use 'uh-huh' in the states. (Please don't take that wrong. I don't know the language, so I'm inferring from the context of various media. If I'm way off base please let me know.) Can't think of a better way to spell that though. *shrug*
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

vermithrx wrote:No they aren't.

Riichan
Mmchan - By that I mean to imply she'd shorten Emi to that subtle 'um' noise the japanese seem to use to indicate a response in the affirmative, like we use 'uh-huh' in the states. (Please don't take that wrong. I don't know the language, so I'm inferring from the context of various media. If I'm way off base please let me know.) Can't think of a better way to spell that though. *shrug*
Actually, what I meant to say is that putting them in nicknames would only make their names longer instead of shorter...
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Roxius wrote:Actually, what I meant to say is that putting them in nicknames would only make their names longer instead of shorter...
True, but I wouldn't be surprised if Misha did it anyway. And it only makes them longer in English, really. Riichan would be easier to say than Rin-chan because it lets the mouth relax more and 'um'-chan has one less sylable than Emi-chan.
abscess

Post by abscess »

IIRC in japanese there is no um syllable, there's ma mi mu me and mo, so the probable nickname would be Mu-chan or Umu-chan (if you add a u in the beginning), but that sound like a cow nickname or candy or something... Probably E-chan or even Emi-chan would be easier to pronounce and less awkward than U/Mu-chan
Siiiiigh....
kslover

Post by kslover »

NichtDu wrote:]
Akira wrote:

Ach du meine Güte :D
:oops: my spelling is atrocious in any language
all of which makes me anxious, at times unbearably so
wir sind wir
REJECT FALSE ICONS!
if you're losing your soul and know it then you still have a soul to lose.
its better to light a candle than complain about the dark.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

abscess wrote:IIRC in japanese there is no um syllable, there's ma mi mu me and mo, so the probable nickname would be Mu-chan or Umu-chan (if you add a u in the beginning), but that sound like a cow nickname or candy or something... Probably E-chan or even Emi-chan would be easier to pronounce and less awkward than U/Mu-chan
Well, the sound I'm trying (and failing) to describe isn't really a literal um to begin with. It's not a sound used in English. It's more like the ng in ung or ing, but held longer and with no 'guh' at the end. The jaw doesn't move when it's made. Is something like that used in japanese for "yes" or "sure," "yeah," or "uh-huh" or whatever?

Bah, I feel like I'm getting nowhere. If the above doesn't make any sense to you I'll stop worrying about it. Thank you for trying to help, though.
Linear B

Post by Linear B »

vermithrx wrote:
abscess wrote:IIRC in japanese there is no um syllable, there's ma mi mu me and mo, so the probable nickname would be Mu-chan or Umu-chan (if you add a u in the beginning), but that sound like a cow nickname or candy or something... Probably E-chan or even Emi-chan would be easier to pronounce and less awkward than U/Mu-chan
Well, the sound I'm trying (and failing) to describe isn't really a literal um to begin with. It's not a sound used in English. It's more like the ng in ung or ing, but held longer and with no 'guh' at the end. The jaw doesn't move when it's made. Is something like that used in japanese for "yes" or "sure," "yeah," or "uh-huh" or whatever?

Bah, I feel like I'm getting nowhere. If the above doesn't make any sense to you I'll stop worrying about it. Thank you for trying to help, though.
I think this may be what you're looking for; it's a nasal consonant with the back of the tongue at or near the uvula (wiki page):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology wrote:/ɴ/ is a moraic nasal, fully a stop before another stop (1), where it becomes homorganic (2) with that consonant, but not achieving full occlusion (3) before fricatives (4) or between vowels, where it is realized as a nasal vowel. Word finally before a pause, it may be realized as a uvular nasal stop (5), a bilabial nasal stop (6), or as a nasal vowel.
(1) Sounds where the airflow is stopped completely, e.g. /t/, /d/, /k/, /g/, /p/, /b/, /m/, /n/, etc.
(2) It moves to the same place in the mouth as the consonant, such as becoming /n/ before /t/ or /m/ before /p/
(3) Full occlusion = complete closure of airflow
(4) Sounds where the airflow is forced through a narrow channel, e.g. /s/, /z/, /f/, /v/, etc.
(5) i.e. /ɴ/
(6) i.e. /m/