Why does Hanako attend Yamaku?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Anon

Why does Hanako attend Yamaku?

Post by Anon »

Hope I shouldn't have lurked more or anything...

Does large scarring even cause any medical issues? What does Hanako gain from going to this school?

Could it be because of her obvious complex about her appearance? Did her parents send her there so she'd at least not be in the presence of normal people, hoping that'd help her adjust? Fat lot of good that did; her only friend is a blind girl.

Speaking of which, does Lilly know about Hanako's burns? I don't see why Hanako would have told her, unless they're actually close rather than Hanako simply appreciating Lilly's inability to perceive her scars, and Lilly probably being too kind to a weakling.

PS: The confirmation code for this post was "the oversell". Is it trying to say something about Hanako?
TKPsycho

Re: Why does Hanako attend Yamaku?

Post by TKPsycho »

I don't really know much about burns, but I don't think that they really require further treatment after they've healed. It's possible Hanako has some other physical complications, but nothing like that has been revealed.

Hanako seems to have serious insecurities - definitely stemming from her burn scars. She is probably going to Yamaku because it is a school that fosters an accepting atmosphere for all students no matter their condition. Muto at least seems to accept that she needs to leave the class to be alone at times.

Also, kids can be really cruel. She likely wouldn't be attending class at all in any other school. Bullying of that sort is much less likely to happen in a school where everybody has their own issues (and can therefore empathize). Still, Hanako is insecure, and attached herself to Lilly at least partially because she is quite unlikely to stare at the scars. Lilly seems to understand Hanako, so I imagine she knows about the scars, but they obviously don't bother her. While Hanako may have only made one friend, at least she was able to make a friend, which would have been far less likely elsewhere.

Okay, there's my unorganized rambling response to your anonpost. Enjoy.
tyren

Post by tyren »

TKPsycho wrote: Lilly seems to understand Hanako, so I imagine she knows about the scars
Pretty sure in the first library scene after Hanako ran off and Hisao asked if a girl had run by, Lilly recognized who it was after Hisao mentioned the scars. So yeah, I think her knowing about them is a safe bet.
Haetan

Post by Haetan »

On the mainsite, in the character section, it is said that Hanako lost her father in the fire that caused her burns. It's also mentionned that she left traumatized of this incident. So i think her reason for being there is mostly psychological rather than pshysical. The scars themself are not a reason to be at Yamaku since they does disable her physicaly.However, bullying + her traumatized state could be enough to cause severe mental damage and so i think she was sent at Yamaku so she can be with people who will not make fun of her appearance until she recovered from her trauma.

(please forgive my linguistic mistakes, english is not my main language.)
Khaos

Post by Khaos »

Anon wrote:Why does Hanako attend Yamaku?
Because someone told her, she should be in some strange game.
She didn't want to at first, but they said, that there's the possibility of her having sex later, so she happily agreed.
Last edited by Khaos on Mon May 18, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
...so that's why I'm trying to figure out if there is something I need to figure out and then figure that out before it's too late and all hope is lost.
~~~~~
Isn't a realist just the word for what the cynic calls himself?
atat

Post by atat »

While burns can cause serious problems before healing, the scaring would only present minimal functional problems. It mostly depends on how extensive, how old she was and the like.
When she was burned matters a lot. Judging from the game it must of been recent as in the past couple of years. A child that is fortunate to survive a bad burn when young, will to some degree 'out grow' the scaring when going through puberty. How ever, seeing as how girls go through puberty at a younger age, and if the scaring happened latter in life, then it would be permanent. The scaring can leave all sorts of issues, if not treated properly, but if it wasn't then she shouldn't really be alive. Functionally there can be some lack of fine motor control and such, and a post puberty burn, if deep enough can damage underlying tissues such as muscle, causing problems there. HOWEVER, to survive such burns is hard enough. A rule of thumb but by far not definitive is that a person has % chance of surviving a 3rd degree on equal to the percentage of unburned skinned. So 50% burn? 50% life expectancy. Modern medicine can do wonders, but a common problems with burns is hydration well after the fact, due to water loss through the skin that no longer has the ability to restrict fluid travel, like wise it can cause serious infections because the skin no longer protects against infection either. These two problems are the real killers with burns, but nobody would be released from the hospital if these problems were still major. Skin grafting would be done.
One problem if it was a fire burn, that is not necessarily obvious to people is smoke inhalation that can be associated with a fire burn. This is can cause permanent damage if enough smoke was in-haled, along with chocking that could of occurred causing brain damage from lack of oxygen.

Overall she may be there just to watch and be careful. Mental disorders in the form of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) would certainly be associated with such a bad burn and could cause problems in a school not prepared to deal with a person who has these kinda of issues.
Nixons back!!!!
Moekki
Artist

Post by Moekki »

because she was on raita's original doujin page
TKPsycho

Post by TKPsycho »

tyren wrote:
TKPsycho wrote: Lilly seems to understand Hanako, so I imagine she knows about the scars
Pretty sure in the first library scene after Hanako ran off and Hisao asked if a girl had run by, Lilly recognized who it was after Hisao mentioned the scars. So yeah, I think her knowing about them is a safe bet.
Ah yeah - sorry, I have a terrible memory sometimes.
Envy

Post by Envy »

I get bored having to explain anything more than once so I'll keep this short.

Hanako would get ripped to shreds in a public school even if she didn't have HUEG insecurities about her condition. She benefits from the environment that Yamku offers, hence she attends.
BustRobot

Post by BustRobot »

As others have said in this thread, Hanako attends Yamaku likely because she has psychological issues. Depending on when she was burned, it was leave serious psychological issues. If you add into that the possibility of bullying by other children either at school and in rehabilitation at the hospital she was treated at, then it makes sense that she would be sent somewhere with an accepting atmosphere. Kids can soak up things like a sponge, so if she was burned at a young age, then the trauma with bullying added on top must've nearly broken her, if it didn't completely. Even if it wasn't at a young age, bullying added on top of trauma would be terribly scarring.

On /a/ - last week I think it was - someone suggesting the possibility that Hanako had developed something called "Avoidant Personality Disorder", here is wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant_P ... y_Disorder
How likely this is, I'm not sure, but it does seem to fit with Hanako's avoidance of contact for the most part.
Open up our narrow minds.
SABAN

Post by SABAN »

Psychological trauma, etc.

But if the burns are severe enough, she probably needs medical attention every now and then.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

Khaos wrote:Because someone told her, she should be in some strange game.
She didn't want to at first, but they said, that there's the possibility of her having sex later, so she happily agreed.
this was funny just by itself, but your smirking Rin avatar makes it 10x better. I can totally see Rin explaining it like that. especially if no one asked. :mrgreen:
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Coyfish

Post by Coyfish »

Oh yeah. That is funny. I'd choke a little baby kitten just to be able to see that in a game omake.
Jo-ou

Post by Jo-ou »

I'm pretty sure Aura said in that Fakku thread that Yamaku is a school for physically disabled children, not mentally disabled ones. This makes sense. It still does not explain why Hanako and Misha? are there.

The correct answer, as posted above, is because she was on the original RAITA page, and nothing else.
tyren

Post by tyren »

Jo-ou wrote:I'm pretty sure Aura said in that Fakku thread that Yamaku is a school for physically disabled children, not mentally disabled ones. This makes sense. It still does not explain why Hanako and Misha? are there.

The correct answer, as posted above, is because she was on the original RAITA page, and nothing else.
We don't know what's wrong with Misha. It might be something internal like Hisao's heart problem.

As for Hanako, I have to say she is kind of a special case. She's not "disabled" per se but her neuroses seem to stem partly from her disfiguring scars.

I seem to remember someone suggesting in another thread that it would be possible for someone who wasn't disabled to apply to Yamaku, but if there were too many applications they wouldn't be likely to get in over a disabled person who needed it more. If that's the case, and even if it's not, I could see them making an exception for someone like Hanako, both because someone like her probably requires special handling she wouldn't likely get in most other places, and because she'd benefit from being in a more understanding environment overall.