Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xaphan

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Xaphan »

Skhatz wrote:Hello

This is the most interesting thread i saw here... and i want to spice things ups

I can agree that maybe she has some psy problem (AS, OCD, others... ). But that isn't the reason why she is in that school. Maybe she has some issues because of her true problem (think as a pstchological self-defense mechanism, very common in people who can't cope completely with their problem).

Now onto my dr. house diagnosis

In the line of thought of the russian1234, it can be cancer or problem of the internal ear…. but also the two can (type of cancer to neuro-ear cancer)

Being a young with bilateral gradual deafness, vertigos…. most likely to be genetic.

Neurofibromatosis type II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibromatosis_type_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibromatosis

ps.: maybe she's gonna die... oh the drama
Now that you mention it... Misha DOES seem to have trouble figuring out her whereabouts from time to time. If I'm not mistaken (haven't went back and played Katawa for a while) but I DO BELIEVE she did run into something during some random event. If the full game does say she has eye trouble, you may be on to something.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

I thought it was obvious she was hard of hearing.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Heh, I went down the Shizune path, and was unable to discern anything that tips me off to Misha's disability. Except maybe the going up stairs thing. It was either teasing on their part, i.e. an excuse as for why only Hisao could go up the stairs and get the art supplies, or it was out of place... unless it is due to her disability!

I really don't have a candidate for what her condition might be, but I'm more than willing to try and shoot down other theories. If Misha were going deaf, that would be ironic, as she is the voice and ears for Shizune, so I find this possibility unlikely. I also feel that people are reading too much into her personality, saying that she has neurological disorders such as aspergers, OCD, COLD, among others. I think that is just her personality, she is just a loud happy person. Her personality was designed to simultaneously support and clash with Shizune's. On the one hand, she is Shizune's voice so she has to be loud about it. On the other, her personality is happy, smudging the intent of the words Shizune is saying, having them take on contradictory meanings. A lot of other people say cancer. It isn't overtly obvious on the surface, so I guess its plausible. But her personality clashes with her condition, then again, that could be said of some other characters.

Also there has been a debate going back and forth on whether the mentally disabled would be allowed in a primarily physically disabled school. Aura wrote, I believe it was in a Q&A with FAKKU, that Yamaku has a number of students who don't "Belong there." The prime example is Hanako. She has no physical disabilities, just emotional ones. And yet she is at Yamaku. I think Aura said that because Yamaku is a private school, her parents could pay for her to go there anyway. Maybe the same could be said of Misha. She may not have a physical disability at all.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

To explain how Yamaku works, every student is admitted on a case-by-case basis and the guidelines are somewhat vague. There are completely healthy students, physically disabled students and mildly mentally disabled students in the school. Many students do have psychological problems of one kind or another (it's not easy to be a teenaged cripple, or find out you are one), but the board generally does not admit anyone who is really mental. This is because the students need to be able to attend class, and interact with teachers (who are not medical professionals) and other students (deafness/muteness doesn't count here). Anyway, the school is primarily geared for kids with physical disabilities that still permit a semblance of normal life (there are no quadriplegic students, for example), and that's what a clear majority of the students are.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

Aura wrote:To explain how Yamaku works, every student is admitted on a case-by-case basis and the guidelines are somewhat vague. There are completely healthy students, physically disabled students and mildly mentally disabled students in the school. Many students do have psychological problems of one kind or another (it's not easy to be a teenaged cripple, or find out you are one), but the board generally does not admit anyone who is really mental. This is because the students need to be able to attend class, and interact with teachers (who are not medical professionals) and other students (deafness/muteness doesn't count here). Anyway, the school is primarily geared for kids with physical disabilities that still permit a semblance of normal life (there are no quadriplegic students, for example), and that's what a clear majority of the students are.
So it's a prejudicial school for cripples?
I'm beginning to like it more and more.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
KronosIII

Post by KronosIII »

All the girls have a partner that fits perfectly

Hanako has a burnt face and lily is blind

Rin has no arms and Emi has no legs

Shizune is deaf so Misha has to have something with her voice

There is also 2 other opposites in why they are all pairs.

Hanako is really shy while Lily is very calm and collected

Rin is a huge thinker(Her type of personalty thinks of every little thing, leaving her with few words ) while Emi is more of a here and now person.
I am allot like Rin and understand, its a blessing and a curse. I sometimes don't sleep certain nights because i am thinking and thinking about things.
Best way to put it is (lost in thought)

Shizune is a boss while Misha is a lackey or sidekick (Ironic since the boss does all the talking)

This is going to be an amazing VN when it comes out.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Aura wrote:To explain how Yamaku works, every student is admitted on a case-by-case basis and the guidelines are somewhat vague. There are completely healthy students, physically disabled students and mildly mentally disabled students in the school. Many students do have psychological problems of one kind or another (it's not easy to be a teenaged cripple, or find out you are one), but the board generally does not admit anyone who is really mental. This is because the students need to be able to attend class, and interact with teachers (who are not medical professionals) and other students (deafness/muteness doesn't count here). Anyway, the school is primarily geared for kids with physical disabilities that still permit a semblance of normal life (there are no quadriplegic students, for example), and that's what a clear majority of the students are.
Thank you for clearing that up.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

Though this is just some crackpot theory, My most likely guess is that Misha has some sort of serious inner ear problem (I had one when I was a kid but I've since had surgery). Hence her ability to not sense how loud she is, or think that others are being too quiet. This also makes sense because she has trouble walking up stairs because she "gets dizzy". She also stated that she can't throw a ball, even though this was probably her just taking the side of Shizune because she's Misha's best friend. I dunno, I thought I'd just throw my hat in the ring for shit's and giggles.
Lawls

Post by Lawls »

Fidelas wrote:I vote cancer.

Her hair drills are tumors.
No, it's AIDS. She has the hair drills because when she went to the wig shop it was all out of normal hairstyles.
Having a terminal illness wouldn't get you into Yamaku its a school to teach people with mental and physical disabilities not terminal subjects.
(though one could argue that the terminal illness put the subject into a state similar to Ikezawa's)
<Aura> "For a long time now, I've thought it doesn't matter one bit whether they are disabled or not."

"But it’s looking like it may actually happen before we all die." - cpl_crud
  • "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare
Xaphan

Post by Xaphan »

Man, it has to be something similar to what happened to Bruce Lee... Misha got kicked in the back of the head when she was little and now she's suffering from a blood clot that's affecting her brain stem and optic radiation =p thus concludes that kids should not act like ninjas... :D
Eligre

Post by Eligre »

(WARNING: HOLY WALLS OF TEXT, BATMAN!)

I see where a lot of people are coming from.

However, Epileptic Trees can be fun too.

As for people who "don't belong there", that was my theory at first. My theory: She has a few physical problems, maybe some minor anemia or something, however the key is this: Misha is suicidally depressed. Really, if you think about it, it makes a bizarre sort of sense: She's always happy because she's hopped up on antidepressents, making her more chipper than most people in the school. At the same time, she avoids being serious or thinking too hard as it can force her into a downward spiral. As one of les miserables, she needs to have the feeling she is needed alive in order to keep living, and working as translator to Shizune, who would be quite helpless without her, fits the bill (I know a few, they do latch onto people like that). She and Shizune don't pressure Hisao about the medications, where pretty much any other main character (Lilly and Hanako out of worry, Emi and Rin out of abject curiosity) would force the issue, but respecting the distance would be present only in another embarrassed about all the meds, when it seems no other people in the school actually take meds, just physical therapy. The dizziness: Just Anemia. The no-throw: Fear of failure. Shizune's attitude also comes into play here: Shizune is competitive, some Lillians may say outright mean, to everyone, but only pushes them as far as she thinks she can get away with, in order to improve themselves (she only gets on Lilly's case when Lilly is tardy in submitting reports, all her actions around Hisao are, in effect, to get him used to the school, and the town). However, she never pushes or competes with Misha (the teahouse stiffing doesn't count, as that was likely planned previously, as Misha mentioned). Nay, she even goes out of her way to help Misha in many cases, buying her things, helping her nicely instead of tough-love style on the words and pronunciations of Sign...

She also loves sweets, sure, but visibly so, being the only character to ironically look realistic despite her hair, because sugar releases endorphins... Maybe her drills hide the scars from the rope she hanged herself with...

An additional bonus is this allows the Authors to kill Misha if they want, or, to be more cruel, hold it over the audience's head once they find out about the condition, all without making her death seem contrived, as any other character's death would be (barring Hisao, of course).

Yes, this is an Epileptic Tree, but it still is fun to piece these things together.

As for refuting other people:
"Problem in the pants": Those two know Rin, since she's doing a solo work for the festival. Rin has not collected that problem yet. Therefore, people Rin knows, even in passing, do not have pants problems. I know this was suggested as a joke, but this has clear evidence against it.
"OCD": Not serious enough to be an "outsider" in the school, or if it were, it would show in the demo.

Special case:
"Estrogen Overdose": Mmmmmno. This can be easily diagnosed with a few meds and live normal life. However, compound the effects tenfold and it may work to be serious enough, despite the meds: 1) Estrogen overdose throws off her being. 2) She is a triple-X chromosome, likely considering her... assets... in comparison to other girls, it is possible. 3) Pituitary gland malfunction, now the estrogen OD can't be fixed by meds without a pile more meds, the 3x chromosome would cause different amounts of hormones to react in odd ways since it is not a commonly observed combination of problems, and because of side-effects, would need constant watch. Again, med-respect point comes up to defend this one. (Now tinfoil hat time) And Kenji is never seen in the same place, if he is sensitive to females, he would be able to detect them from a long way away, and get away in time, which he does twice as they come by, just missing them, despite being almost blind so he couldn't see them coming, but the pheromone output by someone in that condition would make a human aware of them from quite a distance.

The most likely is an inner ear problem, though, I do agree.
...Not that my avvy is suggesting anything about Katawa Shoujo. I hope.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Well, my mind was just blown.
cowen

Post by cowen »

Hi, Cowen here.

I like what I'm reading here about the various possibilities for Misha's disability. I especially find Eligre's explanation to be very likeable (Unsure of what I'm trying to say actually.)

I'll just share what I originally thought Misha's disability was - autism, possibly Asperger's Syndrome, which is one of the disabilities I have. I don't know why, but Misha seems like she has Asperger's to me. Maybe ADHD could also be thrown in there, I don't know. I have problems regulating volume, and I tend to laugh for no reason sometimes - like Misha. I too have a hard time pronouncing difficult words verbally - like Misha - but I don't think Misha would have the knack for pronounciation mentally that I have.

She seems like a person that could also have Depression as well, as I see above, though this would contradict my own theory. Technically, yes, that probably is more likely than the autism. Though that diagnosis still makes sense to me. Contradictory to that, I can't find anything to back that up with.

So, perhaps re-writing my theory would work - in stating that Misha has an inner ear problem, depression, and either partial deafness or ADHD,

Anyhow, that's all I have to say.
flurk

Post by flurk »

very interesting insights from eligre and cowen. however, those will be quite a mouthful to explain in the VN itself, so i find them unlikely
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

cowen wrote:Hi, Cowen here.

I like what I'm reading here about the various possibilities for Misha's disability. I especially find Eligre's explanation to be very likeable (Unsure of what I'm trying to say actually.)

I'll just share what I originally thought Misha's disability was - autism, possibly Asperger's Syndrome, which is one of the disabilities I have. I don't know why, but Misha seems like she has Asperger's to me. Maybe ADHD could also be thrown in there, I don't know. I have problems regulating volume, and I tend to laugh for no reason sometimes - like Misha. I too have a hard time pronouncing difficult words verbally - like Misha - but I don't think Misha would have the knack for pronounciation mentally that I have.

She seems like a person that could also have Depression as well, as I see above, though this would contradict my own theory. Technically, yes, that probably is more likely than the autism. Though that diagnosis still makes sense to me. Contradictory to that, I can't find anything to back that up with.

So, perhaps re-writing my theory would work - in stating that Misha has an inner ear problem, depression, and either partial deafness or ADHD,

Anyhow, that's all I have to say.
meh. I have ADHD, and she doesn't seem to ever have a problem with focus, so I'm not buying that. Anyway, ADHD is nowhere near serious enough to get her into Yamaku. I have a pretty severe case and I just take meds.