Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by metalangel »

Once she cuts her hair, her HAs would be visible. But there's nothing there.

Being loud is just her persona that she shows to the world, her facade, a coping or defense mechanism. However, she is still a ditz sometimes, as we see when she is working late with Mutou. People can be intelligent but still trip over their words sometimes.
brythain

Post by brythain »

metalangel wrote:Once she cuts her hair, her HAs would be visible. But there's nothing there.

Being loud is just her persona that she shows to the world, her facade, a coping or defense mechanism. However, she is still a ditz sometimes, as we see when she is working late with Mutou. People can be intelligent but still trip over their words sometimes.
Correction: she cuts her hair in such a way that a hearing aid on the left ear can't be seen. I know I'm deliberately interpreting it that way, but it's a nice explanation that isn't too esoteric.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Does she, or is it just that there doesn't seem to be any artwork where you can see her left ear once she's had a trim?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Tidus wrote:Her struggling with certain words kind of makes me wonder, though. Maybe she's just not that good with certain things. She seems quite intelligent, at least in some ways. To be able to master sign language, etc.
This is something that I think is always misunderstood.
I think there are exactly six instances in the VN where Misha seems to stumble over a word:
Misha wrote:"Hicchan! I'm very offended! Are you saying you don't trust us, and that we would pull something so d—dis—in—gen—u—ous…? That makes me sad…" (Tuesday)
"You're going though, right, Hicchan? You should at least see what we've ac—complished…?" (Friday)
"You can take one if you want, but you're not the kind of person who would do something that la—sci—vious?, isn't that right?" (Saturday)
"Ah, Shicchan said “It is the duty of the Student Council to keep track of the emotional health of its students! To allow a cons—constituent to spiral into depression unchecked would be an unforgivable failure in the council's duties!" (E3)
"If you value something, you fight. Struggle is proof of precs— preciousness?..." (S2)
"Okay~! Then, Student Council is ad—jour—ned? for today~!" (S2)
Notice something? Right. In every single one of those lines she is translating for Shizune.
There is one more case where she doesn't know how to sign "magnanimous" and has to write it down for Shizune.
So it's not that she has problems with complicated words, she just isn't perfect in sign language yet.
I always cringe when I read a fanfiction that has her stumble over every word with more than two syllables even if there is no signing involved at all.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

metalangel wrote:Does she, or is it just that there doesn't seem to be any artwork where you can see her left ear once she's had a trim?
I have no idea, but it's convenient for my deliberately simple theory choice.

Actually to add to that, I'll go all the way and say she'd likely end up a great translator. She's learnt to make the effort for Shizune, and we see her actually conveying duplex conversation streams, although I don't know what the 'anyone' really implies in this quotation: "I've noticed this before, but it's kind of funny how Misha is always moving her hands and signing not only everything she says, but what anyone else is saying at any given time."

Extrapolate to some broader field, and who knows?
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Potato

Post by Potato »

brythain wrote:You know what? I think Misha's partially deaf. The clues can be interpreted that way - she mishears Hisao, she speaks too loudly. She might be deaf in one ear, or have diminished hearing in both. Maybe she wears her hair like that to hide hearing aids. Perhaps it has stabilised with time, but it's also a reason for her learning to sign and having Shizune as a friend.
She wears her hair like that because it says "I'm not horribly depressed all the time at all!"

And she learned to sign to talk to Shizune. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Actually to add to that, I'll go all the way and say she'd likely end up a great translator.
Misha might one day make a great translator, but at the moment, she's very far from it.

Translators need to be able to convey what's being said as well as how it's being said. Misha puts far too much of herself into what' she's saying, and even adds bits of conversation without clarifying that it's NOT coming from Shizune.

Still, she's pretty good at sign language and that's a nice place to start.
Not Dead Yet
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Mirage_GSM wrote: So it's not that she has problems with complicated words, she just isn't perfect in sign language yet.
One of the great and fun things about signing is when someone fingerspells and you just aren’t able to assemble the letters into a word in your head – so Shizune using big words is just making that worse. I think the worst one I’ve personally encountered was ‘intersectionality’.

Signing even when she’s not being an interpreter* isn’t uncommon – I know several people who do that too as it’s good practice, and when I talk to my best friend (especially in a noisy location, given she’s unilateral deaf) if we aren’t just signing we are speaking and signing simultaneous to help ensure the message gets across.
Oddball wrote:
Actually to add to that, I'll go all the way and say she'd likely end up a great translator.
Misha might one day make a great translator, but at the moment, she's very far from it.

Translators need to be able to convey what's being said as well as how it's being said. Misha puts far too much of herself into what' she's saying, and even adds bits of conversation without clarifying that it's NOT coming from Shizune.

*Misha is not a translator. She is an interpreter. A translator takes written words and translates them into another language. Usually this is only done one way, and from another language into the translator’s native language. An interpreter conveys the meaning as closely as possible back and forth between the two languages – not a literal word for word translation because cultural and linguistic differences make this all but impossible.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Confirmed:

I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:Confirmed:

http://i.imgur.com/kJsl3Ab.jpg
So that's where the fanfic title 'For Want Of A Nail' came from!
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

brythain wrote:

Or it came from the saying....
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Steinherz wrote:
brythain wrote:

Well, yes… but this one was too good to pass up. It sort of nailed it.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

brythain wrote:
Steinherz wrote:
brythain wrote:So that's where the fanfic title 'For Want Of A Nail' came from!
Oh these puns are utterly unImageable
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Steinherz wrote:
brythain wrote:
Steinherz wrote: Or it came from the saying....
Oh these puns are utterly unImageable
I suppose you're expecting some unbearable pun.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
brythain

Post by brythain »

CoffeeDrive wrote:I suppose you're expecting some unbearable pun.
Actually, I was expecting something more in groan for the previous one.