Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:41 am

Misha says she met Shizune at Yamaku, so no.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
Otakumon
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Otakumon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:Not really a contradiction. So she wanted to go to Yamaku to learn to be a language teacher but was still uncomfortable about it.
If you continue to read the line you quoted you also get the explanation why: Apparently she was bullied at her old school for being lesbian, and she wasn't certain if she'd be better off at Yamaku.
I took it to mean that she decided to go to Yamaku because she thought a school full of disabled people would be more tolerant of her than a regular school. That still doesn't explain why she gets dizzy on stairs, though some sort of ear problem causing vertigo in that situation likely wouldn't really be considered a disability in itself. I tried to get this settled by asking straight out if she had a disability in the 'ASK' thread but none of the devs bothered to answer it so I guess they enjoy watching the debate too much to settle the matter clearly.

Cynic

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Cynic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Okay lets just first state the obvious here, Misha doesn't have a disability, reasons for this is she never mentions one, the school doesn't accept people with mental disabilities as mentioned in game and the fact that its also mentioned in game that normal people can attend as well and the fact that Misha says that she went there specifically to learn sign language cause she wants to teach it.

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Yeah, what Cynic said.
Regarding the supposed vertigo - I don't remember her ever actually showing any signs of vertigo, and I remember plenty of times where she is on the roof or moving up and down stairs. Heck, in one scene she even leans against the friggin' fence. Also, I remember multiple occasions where she said over the top stuff to get Hisao to do work for the council.
So... To put it mildly I don't consider this to be a strong argument for a disability.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

Guest

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:17 pm

She seems to share some, but not all symptoms of dyspraxia. I have a friend with dyspraxia and how Misha behaves a lot of the time reminded me a lot of her, especially the problems speaking, lack of sense for personal space, and the vertigo.

Courtesy of BBC Health, key points underlined:
Children with dyspraxia may be late in reaching milestones, and may not be able to run, hop or jump, for example, when their friends can. They may find it hard to walk up and down stairs, and may not be able to dress easily. Their speech may be immature or unintelligible in their early years. Language may be impaired or late to develop.

(After this though, she starts sharing less of the defined symptoms... )

At school, a child with dyspraxia may have difficulty with maths and writing stories. They may avoid games, be slow at dressing and unable to tie shoelaces, be poorly organised or have a short attention span. They may find it hard to remember and follow instructions. Poor handwriting is one of the most common symptoms.

Adults with dyspraxia often find routine daily tasks such as personal grooming, driving and household chores challenging. They may find it hard to cope at work and opt out of doing things they find difficult. They may experience problems riding bicycles and playing certain sports, such as those that involve using a bat. Their gait may be clumsy.
Just a thought, but not impossible.

User avatar
Yuno
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Yuno » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Now, I personally don't believe Misha has any disabilities. She went to the school to learn sign language.

HOWEVER, it may make sense for Yamaku to take some students who have mental disabilities. Since there are likely classes for deaf students (and there are certainly classes for blind students) and they're likely focused on language issues, it may make sense if Misha has an issue like dyslexia.

User avatar
KeWano
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by KeWano » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Well, in Shizune's Path, Shizune states that Misha normally didn't act the way she's acting at the time Hisao came there. So I wouldn't think that she has dyspraxia.
"I’m trying to experience. People probably don’t do this enough." -Rin Tezuka.

User avatar
ScrotieMcBoogerballs
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by ScrotieMcBoogerballs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Cancer.

True story.

Syrii

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Syrii » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Cynic wrote:Okay lets just first state the obvious here, Misha doesn't have a disability, reasons for this is she never mentions one, the school doesn't accept people with mental disabilities as mentioned in game and the fact that its also mentioned in game that normal people can attend as well and the fact that Misha says that she went there specifically to learn sign language cause she wants to teach it.

ACTUALLY.
She says on the rooftop that she didn't /want/ to go to Yamaku. She also says she only knew a tiny bit of sign at the time. She decided WHILE ALREADY ATTENDING the school to become a sign teacher. So she didn't go because she wanted to learn sign language. She went because she had to. She has to have some kind of problem.

I'm one of the people that believes it's brain cancer, so I'm just gonna compile all of that evidence here.

1) Hisao says her voice never changes in tone, but changes only in volume based on her mood. So if she was really happy (or trying to be), she's practically screaming. When she's sad, she still sounds cheery but quiet. So she seems to think she can hide her sorrows by acting like she's happy all the time, and to her, loud=people will think you're happy. Just because she is kind of annoying and kind of emotionally transparent doesn't mean she has AS or is partially deaf.

2) She gets dizzy on stairs.
One of the symptoms of brain cancer is getting dizzy spells in motion. It often goes unnoticed because it's not uncommon to get dizzy for a moment, or it can be a symptom of another smaller problem.

3) Her hair.
Before she had pink hair, her hair was long and brown, as shown in her flashback. That was when she started at Yamaku. It's possible that chemo made her hair fall out, and she had to replace it with a wig. Then when she cut it, she went with only Shizune around. And she never said "it's just hair, it'll grow back" when everyone freaked out because it won't. Shizune in particular seemed upset with this change, as if she knew it wouldn't grow back.

4) Yamaku enviornment
Yamaku would be the perfect school for a kid with cancer. If they have to miss class/homework assignments for treatment, she'll be excused. They can excuse her from ever having to go upstairs if it makes her dizzy, and she could have treatments on site. Moreso, they could be discreet about it. The fact that she never mentions it kind of seems like she doesn't want people to know. If she was okay with it, we wouldn't have to speculate so hard.

5) Sleep
Misha seems to fall asleep a lot in odd places. Like when she fell asleep before the fireworks show on an uncomfortable roof, and slept through the loud fireworks. After summer vacation, Hisao finds her sleeping outside again sitting up. She also (if memory serves, though I could be wrong...) has fallen asleep in class several times. Chemotherapy treatments have a side effect of making the person sleepy.

I think that's all I can think of for now, but I think I have some pretty solid reasons here.

User avatar
Palas
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Palas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 pm

3) Her hair.
Before she had pink hair, her hair was long and brown, as shown in her flashback. That was when she started at Yamaku. It's possible that chemo made her hair fall out, and she had to replace it with a wig. Then when she cut it, she went with only Shizune around. And she never said "it's just hair, it'll grow back" when everyone freaked out because it won't. Shizune in particular seemed upset with this change, as if she knew it wouldn't grow back.
What you say!!

It's nothing like that. She didn't say "it's just hair, it'll grow up" because there's nothing like a protocol compelling you to say that when asked what the heck did you do to your hair. Also, it's explicitly said that Misha dyed her hair because Shizune wouldn't lve her back.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.

User avatar
Mogami-kun
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 am
Location: Hungary

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Mogami-kun » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Did we ever get an official statement from any of the devs about this since the release? I know what she says heavily implies that she has no disability, but I'm not completely buying it.
"100%"
My final ranking: Hanako >>> Lilly > (Misha >) Shizune > Rin > Emi.

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:17 pm

We probably won't get a definitive statement from them - They are too busy laughing their asses off reading these discussions...

Also:
Misha wrote:It's also really expensive to attend here, you know. Because I want to be a sign language teacher, I have reduced tuition fees. If it wasn't for that, I don't know if I'd be able to keep going here.
That means she had to have decided to become a sign-language teacher before she came to Yamaku, otherwise she couldn't have afforded the tuition. As there is no indication that any students except for Lilly and Shizune are filthy rich (Emi's mother is a single mom, Hanako is an orphan, and Hisao's parents seem to be middle class at most), I expect that the tuition is also reduced for people who have a valid reason to go there. It follows that either Misha's parent's are dirt poor so they can't even afford the reduced admission fees or she doesn't have a disability that would necessitate her attending Yamaku.
2) She gets dizzy on stairs.
No, she doesn't. She says she gets dizzy on stairs, when she wants to get Hisao to do a chore for her. She never actually does get dizzy, and there would be plenty of opportunities for her to:
- She manages to reach the roof without problems carrying an armload of foodstuffs.
- Their homeroom is on the third floor, meaning she has to climb up there at least twice every single day, and not once does Hisao notice her getting dizzy.
3) Her hair.
Before she had pink hair, her hair was long and brown, as shown in her flashback. That was when she started at Yamaku. It's possible that chemo made her hair fall out, and she had to replace it with a wig. Then when she cut it, she went with only Shizune around. And she never said "it's just hair, it'll grow back"
And that she doesn't say that explicitly is proof for you that she's wearing a wig?
4) Yamaku enviornment
Yamaku would be the perfect school for a kid with cancer.
Agreed. That doesn't mean Misha has to have it.
5) Sleep
Misha seems to fall asleep a lot in odd places.
I know a few people who do that. I sure hope they don't all have cancer...

Don't get me wrong. I also thougth cancer was a probable theory before the full version was released. I even wrote it into a fanfic of mine. But the full VN is as explicit as it's ever going to be in that Misha went to Yamaku simply to become a sign language teacher.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

Guest

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:38 am

Seems to me that she just has a sleeping disorder, she is seen sleeping a lot of times when it is late and Shizune at one moment states that she goes to sleep at 7 pm to wake at 8 am. Like if she had to sleep a lot to keep her hiper attitude yet couldn't control that.

User avatar
KSmaniac
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: 13° 0′ 0″ N, 122° 0′ 0″ E 13, 122

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by KSmaniac » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:14 am

She's just annoying...that's all

User avatar
Zombiedude101
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Zombiedude101 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Meh, I'd say she has mild Aspergers, and I say this because I myself have it (Though with me I'm not great socially) and I know somebody else who had it, yet was p sociable, just a little loud and sometimes quirky.
I support Snoozu.
Image
Userbar made by theartificial.

Post Reply