Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
shin0bi272
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 pm
Location: Durham NC usa
Contact:

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by shin0bi272 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 pm

I thought I saw her say that she chose to come here because she wanted to be a sign language teacher during Shizune's good ending but it was late and I might have read that wrong. I think she also says (possibly in the bad ending) that she didnt want to come to the school but she was learning sign language and started hanging with Shizune and lilly in student council where she "got a crash course in signing" because shizune wouldnt use her pad because she knew misha was learning sign.

I also did think of one other thing that might be the reason shes there...

During Shizune's story when you go to Shizune's house and she's wearing the "bush cheney 2004" shirt it made me think. Most of the people who populate 4chan and such areas online are young people. Most young people are liberals... especially those funky hair colored programmer and anime artist types. So they probably put Misha in a republican t-shirt and made her a lesbian so that her parents sent her to the school because her parents were hardcore christians who sent their "broken" daughter away for being gay

User avatar
Otakumon
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Otakumon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am

Mirage_GSM wrote:
MIsha wrote:I want to be a sign-language teacher, Hicchan!
...
It's the reason I wanted to go to this school, Hicchan!
It doesn't get much more explicit than that...
"I didn't really want to come to this school, Hicchan~" -Misha

From the rooftop outing scene.

User avatar
Palas
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Palas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 am

You know, whatever Misha said can't be entirely trusted. She is a pro at manipulating facts and emotions just to avoid (more) suffering.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.

Guest

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 am

shin0bi272 wrote:During Shizune's story when you go to Shizune's house and she's wearing the "bush cheney 2004" shirt it made me think. Most of the people who populate 4chan and such areas online are young people. Most young people are liberals... especially those funky hair colored programmer and anime artist types. So they probably put Misha in a republican t-shirt and made her a lesbian so that her parents sent her to the school because her parents were hardcore christians who sent their "broken" daughter away for being gay
As far as I know, the devs said they were thinking of that but ultimately the idea was scrapped.

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5979
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 am

Otakumon wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
MIsha wrote:I want to be a sign-language teacher, Hicchan!
...
It's the reason I wanted to go to this school, Hicchan!
It doesn't get much more explicit than that...
"I didn't really want to come to this school, Hicchan~" -Misha
From the rooftop outing scene.
Not really a contradiction. So she wanted to go to Yamaku to learn to be a language teacher but was still uncomfortable about it.
If you continue to read the line you quoted you also get the explanation why: Apparently she was bullied at her old school for being lesbian, and she wasn't certain if she'd be better off at Yamaku.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
megamanrulesall
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 am

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by megamanrulesall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 am

I did not read all the 56 pages of comments here (what with having recently finished looking through the 194 pages of the art on the art site thingy <name escapes me what with having been up all night and it being as of this sentence, 7am.) BUt I think some people thought her disability could be something pertaining to Asperger's Syndrome which is a form of High Performing Autism.

I shall try my best to not going into too long of detail of myself, as I will just be repeating myself, however I shall provide links so you can read my life story and understand me better.

1 Part
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... =15#p66311
Another part, or maybe could be labeled part 2?
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... =30#p66825

Anywho, to people thinking Aspergers is only a mental disability, allow me to use myself as some examples of why it can affect the physical body.

Being one who has ASpergers, tourettes and a few other issues. I do tend to doubt that that could be labeled solely as a "Mental disability". Granted, I do find the label Disability to be negative in my mind.

But it can have other effects as well, what with it being a neurological disorder. As we all know, (Or most I would assume/hope know), neurological orders involve aspects of the way the brain sends out the signals and interprets the signals. And of course, that these signals are in turn elecrtical, which in turn can have an effect upon the physical.

But, it can affect other areas as well.

One, is my extreme sense of smell, for me, things that have a chemically smell can literally choke me. It is as though the air density changed and "feels" different. I can't even walk through the detergent (And whatever else is stored in that isle) without pulling my shirt over my mouth and nose to act as a makeshift breathing mask, and even then I have to hurry through and get want I want, usually gasping for air afterwards. Same for smoke from ciggarettes & cigars & other things people can smoke depending on the legality of it where you live (referring to marijuana by the way. Sorry if being a bit like "I think you didn't need to tell us. But I am because sometimes I need people to put things as simple and blunt as possible for me.)

Another is that vertigo feeling or what I think has the label of vertigo. Never been one to figure out labels for feelings. Not good with labels in general really. I can handle and enjoy roller coasters, but things like being on the 2nd story (Or you can add more floors to the 2nd) of an area which looks over to the 1st floor my head feels funny and I have to pull away. I don't know how to accurately describe it. Maybe similar to what people call fear? And if you needed my help with something and you told me I had to get on a ladder, I would have to decline. Not because I don't want to help out, but because of my limitations on the ladder. I MAY be able to get to the 2nd step of the ladder, but anything past that is like way too much. Potentially white knuckles from gripping ladder, body shaking from nervousness, just an overall sensation of "I need to get the f*ck down from here NOW!" Even if in others minds it would be no more then say, 2 or 3 feet. I can handle stairs pretty well, maybe due to a lot of the time not having to "see between the lines/gaps" of the steps that long to where I get the feeling one would if on a ladder, not to mention the handrails help me out which I thing for me, negates the sensation due to it "Feeling safe".

There is also the aspects of heightened photosensitivity (sensitive to bright light). Many times I have to go outside, I have to wear sunglasses, otherwise I can get really bad headaches. I have also changed the color output on my computer screen so most of the time as much as possible, the default blinding white, or usually more like a dark grey or similar. It sucks having this because even reaeding a book can turn into headache city because of the light bouncing off of the pages can hurt my eyes/head. Not to mention, looking goffy in sunglasses while reading a book. Also is a reason why more times then not, my shades are always closed.

Not sure if this last bit has anything to do with Autism or just some form of general disfunction of my nervous system, but my sense of touch feels to me as though it is "off". I don't mean not working to where I feel 100% nothing, but rather off as in malfunctionoiing I guess could be a good term? I can feel temperature to some degree (Though other times, barely at all to where I barely feel my hand on my arm and if I were not seeing myself put my hand on my arm, I may not realize it had been there), but say if I were to slap my arm till it is bright red, most times, I would barely feel a thing. Cuts, yeah I usually feel. Though other times, when I thought I got, say a papercut or cut in general, I look and it was nothing there or wrong.

My fine motor skills are things that also suffer. Whether it be due to Aspergers, or some other thing due to the circumstances of my birth (Explained in detail in the first link). I am glad to have been born into a age where computers are around. My dad calls what my printing is to be "Chicken Scratch" if I do it at my own speed. Yeah, I may be the one who can understand and read it, but others do not. And the act of forcing myself to try and write (Print really) in a"legible manner", takes a long time. Writing out a sentence like this exact one stopping at this comma, might take me a good 5 minutes or more with having to stop in the middle becaus e my hand is cramping up. No matter how much I try, it is not able to become better for some unknown reason.

Some people with it may or may not suffer things like altered ..... speed maybe, of learning. But for me, I do seem to learn at a slower pace perhaps then others. And god forbid if you need me to memorize something. My ability to do that takes a LONG LONG time to ingrain into my head. It sucks, but that is how it is. Not sure if it has to do with Aspergers, or something else.

So, yeah. Saying that Aspergers/Autism is solely a mental disorder is something like, not seeing the bigger picture of how it affects others in a physical manner. I think it is both a mental and physical thing. As it has it's effect upon the physical.

Honestly, I have no idea if this is what Misha has or not. No idea what the Dev's are thinking about her, or whether they even decided if she has one or not. She seems interesting. After all, I am the type who hates the labels society forces us to put on each other because the labels can make someone think of someone in a negative way, which in turn makes people not even want to try and get the you that is the innermost you, not just what they see on the surface, or that their minds are thinking of due to preconceived notions from being told something. "Don't judge a book by it's cover" comes to mind.

Also, before anyone says it, yes, I do know I do type a lot. Just how my mind works, so I apologize in advance. Sometimes, getting my thoguhts to come out properly how I want to word them is hard, so there is the chance I am "Too wordy", so sorry about that.

Hopefully, my thoughts have come across in some way. Not saying I approve or disapprove if Misha did have her disability be Aspergers, if she even were to have one at all, but just thought to educate some of you not in the know of how it could be seen as more then purely mental related. Sorry if I come across sounding negative or pushy or something in some way. The wonders of the internet do not allow the transmission of feeling through words, again being the reason why they can be so misleading and constrictive. Anywho, later all. Enjoy the game and enjoy life & whatnot and I hope I did not bore you or something with my explanations. ^_^;

EDIT: It is about 726am and I forgot one other part that applies at least to me, probably not so much with Misha (Though maybe it could with Rin?). Something along the lines of altered time perception. All that stuff I typed, to some may thing could feel like it took that long, but for me, sometimes those things feel like insyead of say, half an hour, more to be maybe only five minutes, let alone not really even percieving time passing, but only knowing it has due to the clock saying differently. Could be one reason why sleep and me don't get along too well. But could also explain how my body somehow is able to function properly in a physically demanding job (Before my neck surgery I had recently) with only say, 2-3 hours of sleep at night. Granted, my body then does use weekends as mostly pure sleep time, but even then, the sleep may only be 8-12 hours depending when my body/brain finally said "Eh, I guess we can let ya sleep. I think we both are in a place to allow you that." But man, I don't know how to describe the sensation that is created when say your mind and body are feeling in opposite ways. Like, brain wants sleep, yet body feels "Buzzy" with pure energy, or where the Body just want's sleep & the mind is in some form of hyperdrive overclocked thinking mode about 50 different things or something.

So, yeah. Man, not sure what else I meant to say. Head feels funny. Maybe kinda like pillow fluff or something. I don't know. ^_^; And, it seems according to the clock, 10 minutes have passed. I should attempt some manner of sleep I suppose. So, take care everyone ok?

Seph

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Seph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:23 pm


User avatar
megamanrulesall
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 am

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by megamanrulesall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Someone on another forum I posted on reminded me how in the game, it is mentioned that the school does not take on people with mental disabilities and reminded me more about how I even got my "label" of having Aspergers Syndrome/HIgh Performing AUtism.

I hope you all don't mind if I copy & paste here and that I touch up some things:

I know about the Mental disabilities thing. However the diagnosis of Autism/Aspergers can be hard, especially if one is high functioning. For me, the doctors had no true idea, just assuming the other physical aspects of it (Which I mentioned earlier were random and they couldn't explain). They didn't really realize I had it until I was about 17 or so. Then, at least in their eyes, the other "physical symptoms" made sense to them and they could connect the dots. However back then, barely anything was known about it.

For Misha, It could very well be that maybe in part of her wishing to learn sign language, one of the disabilities involves the Vertigo/inner ear stairs balance thingy. And that she was diagnosed for the physical symptoms she was experiancing. Maybe back then, something like Aspergers/Autism in that realm is not yet a diagnosis, so she could have been sent there for physical symptoms she has. Of course, it could just be that she doesn't have a disability and is there for sign language, of for the sign langauge & the vertigo dizziness thingy.

I don't know. Maybe I am just trying to allow others to see that one can have symptoms of something and have it assumed to be seperate events and thus more physical without there being a diagnosis involving mental related things, kinda like how I was.

I hope I do not sound as though I am argumentative, just trying to help in some way allow others to learn stuff or something. Of course, even then (10 years ago as I am now 27), Aspergers was a new thing no one really knew about. It was kinda a thing people were unsure really existed kinda thing. Of course, 10 years later, there is a LOT more data out to prove it does exist and diagnosis for it is easier to make now then it was for me back then.


I guess what I am saying, is that if people wish to suspect Aspergers/Autism disability idea, try to think of it from the perspective of them thinking in a manner of not having the mental aspects diagnosed, but rather the physical symptoms and that is their way of thinking. Of course, maybe I am wrong in all of this and that my having had such things happen are making the ideas have some type of foundation of potential.

Of course, I could just as easily be putting words into peoples mouths also. So, I don't know. I am me, all of you are all of you with your ideas and etc. Maybe I am taking things a bit too seriously. ^_^,

I suppose the only one who truly truly knows is the creator(s) of Misha themselves. Just giving you all alternative ways to think based on sharing my own experiances and whatnot.
================
And, if you wish to ask questions about me personally I am always up for answering questions. No question is too invasive. So, if you wish to ask something but worry how I'll take it. Ask. You don't have to think, just ask what is on your mind. ^_^

Take care everyone.

Seph

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Seph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Guest wrote:
shin0bi272 wrote:During Shizune's story when you go to Shizune's house and she's wearing the "bush cheney 2004" shirt it made me think. Most of the people who populate 4chan and such areas online are young people. Most young people are liberals... especially those funky hair colored programmer and anime artist types. So they probably put Misha in a republican t-shirt and made her a lesbian so that her parents sent her to the school because her parents were hardcore christians who sent their "broken" daughter away for being gay
As far as I know, the devs said they were thinking of that but ultimately the idea was scrapped.
Interesting... I'd ask for more info but I'm guessing that the original quote is buried in a kajillion pages of text, so... yeah...

@ the other guy: What does the one have to do with the other? I mean, yes lets say that most of the people who populate 4chan "and such areas" are young people, and that most young people are liberals... putting aside programming and hair color, etc...

What does that have to do with the rest of it? That could easily happen even without any sort of bias on the part of the story creators...

In fact, far worse happens all the time.

Answer

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Answer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Misha has no disability, save for her social awkwardness. It comes up in dialogue that she specifically sought out the school for special career reasons, which is why she is the only one paying to stay there, in fact she described it as "expensive".

User avatar
Aust Kyzor
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Aust Kyzor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Answer wrote:Misha has no disability, save for her social awkwardness. It comes up in dialogue that she specifically sought out the school for special career reasons, which is why she is the only one paying to stay there, in fact she described it as "expensive".
It was never outright stated that Hisao, Lilly, Hanako, et cetera don't pay for attendance at Yamaku
Manual breathing activated!

Lilly=Emi>>>Hanako=Shizune=Rin=Misha

In terms of STORY, on the other hand - so far:
Lilly's>Emi's>>>>Rin's>>>>>>>>Shizune's>Hanako's

Complete: Hanako, Rin, Shizune, Emi, Lilly
What now? Now I cry over how beautiful the whole thing was.

Guest

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Aust Kyzor wrote:
Answer wrote:Misha has no disability, save for her social awkwardness. It comes up in dialogue that she specifically sought out the school for special career reasons, which is why she is the only one paying to stay there, in fact she described it as "expensive".
It was never outright stated that Hisao, Lilly, Hanako, et cetera don't pay for attendance at Yamaku
Either way, even with a full scholarship which would help out with tuition fees, they'd all have to pay for their uniforms, food, and possibly even their accommodation, seeing as not all students move to Yamaku. Given that Shizune and Lilly's family are rich as all get out, and Hanako has her inheritance from her parents, it's safe to assume they probably pay for attendance and don't see it as that much of a big deal.

I don't think Hisao ever mentions it when it comes to himself. It's brought up that his parents were willing to remortgage the house in Act 1 for a cure for his condition, but you don't really get a clue as to their financial situation. The amount of time Hisao spent in hospital would rack up a massive bill though.

User avatar
Aust Kyzor
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Aust Kyzor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Guest wrote:
Aust Kyzor wrote:
Answer wrote:Misha has no disability, save for her social awkwardness. It comes up in dialogue that she specifically sought out the school for special career reasons, which is why she is the only one paying to stay there, in fact she described it as "expensive".
It was never outright stated that Hisao, Lilly, Hanako, et cetera don't pay for attendance at Yamaku
Either way, even with a full scholarship which would help out with tuition fees, they'd all have to pay for their uniforms, food, and possibly even their accommodation, seeing as not all students move to Yamaku. Given that Shizune and Lilly's family are rich as all get out, and Hanako has her inheritance from her parents, it's safe to assume they probably pay for attendance and don't see it as that much of a big deal.

I don't think Hisao ever mentions it when it comes to himself. It's brought up that his parents were willing to remortgage the house in Act 1 for a cure for his condition, but you don't really get a clue as to their financial situation. The amount of time Hisao spent in hospital would rack up a massive bill though.
Remember that they live in Japan, not the United States - Japan has universal healthcare and EVERYBODY has insurance (by Japanese law, no less)
Manual breathing activated!

Lilly=Emi>>>Hanako=Shizune=Rin=Misha

In terms of STORY, on the other hand - so far:
Lilly's>Emi's>>>>Rin's>>>>>>>>Shizune's>Hanako's

Complete: Hanako, Rin, Shizune, Emi, Lilly
What now? Now I cry over how beautiful the whole thing was.

Guest

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Seph wrote:
Guest wrote:
shin0bi272 wrote:During Shizune's story when you go to Shizune's house and she's wearing the "bush cheney 2004" shirt it made me think. Most of the people who populate 4chan and such areas online are young people. Most young people are liberals... especially those funky hair colored programmer and anime artist types. So they probably put Misha in a republican t-shirt and made her a lesbian so that her parents sent her to the school because her parents were hardcore christians who sent their "broken" daughter away for being gay
As far as I know, the devs said they were thinking of that but ultimately the idea was scrapped.
Interesting... I'd ask for more info but I'm guessing that the original quote is buried in a kajillion pages of text, so... yeah...
Some info from the presentation of Katawa Shoujo @ Manifest.
Audience member: What is Misha’s disability?

Suriko: It’s a mystery.

Crud: It was a mystery. For a while she wasn’t…

Audience member: I thought it was her laugh.

Crud: We originally just had her there to be an interpreter and I threw the character together I just threw some character traits together had about three or four sketches and then she just appeared. And for a while I was saying why don’t we just make her gay and her parents go “Oh we can’t have that now in high class society so we’ll shove her in some school where no one will ever see her anymore”. So that was an early concept I had we’ve changed that now.

Suriko: Thankfully A22 has done his usual trick of taking a vaguely defined character and making them really cool. A22 is really good with side characters.

Crud: Yeah, he did both Kenji and Misha so he’s gotta to get ten points for those. And, yeah, I won’t tell you his final answer. I’ll go back there now…

INFERTakuya
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by INFERTakuya » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:40 pm

At some point during Lilly's route, Hisao mentions that Yamaku High will accept any student, even if they're not disabled in the least.

Therefore, Misha could probably have been Shizune's childhood friend or something who doubles as an interpreter and thus had to tag along with Shizune when she enrolled in the school.
Endings Obtained

Emi: Bad End|Second Chance|Good End
Hanako: Bad End|Neutral End|Good End
Lilly: Bad End|Good End
Shizune: -In Progress-
Rin:

Post Reply