Iwanako

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SABAN

Re: Iwanako

Post by SABAN »

Trigoelin wrote:I'm a Japanese who finishes this game a little while ago.

About "Iwanako",I recommend renaming her.
Because It is such a Impossible name in Japan that one name doesn't hit with Google except handle names.

Most names of a modern Japanese woman consist of dissyllabic or three syllables,for example,"Emi"or"Shizune." The name of four or more syllables is extremely rare, and I have seen only "Sakurako"(it mean 'a girl like cherry' )or "Kaoruko"('a girl smells sweet').
Besides,though "Iwanako" is a meaning "Girl like a char"in kanji, it is not thought that the char isn't suitable to express the female name in Japan.

If special effects in the story are not expected in using the name, I think it had better to rename her at the stage of the demo version.

By the way,there is a animation "Legend of galactic heroes" in japan and one of its protagonists named "Reinhart Von Loengram".Though he is great protagonist,many Germans seem to laugh at his name because it is very odd name in modern Germany.
Odd names are okay, no?
The girl is not important to the story anyway.

And people these days seem to like giving children stranger and stranger names, consider Iwanako's name as an example of naming children in modern society: strange, unique, sounds stupid and doesn't make sense.
Nosson

Post by Nosson »

SABAN wrote: Odd names are okay, no?
The girl is not important to the story anyway.

And people these days seem to like giving children stranger and stranger names, consider Iwanako's name as an example of naming children in modern society: strange, unique, sounds stupid and doesn't make sense.
I once meet a girl named Orangejello (Ore-Anng-gel-lo) thats right Orange-Jello is now a name.
WASSHOI

Post by WASSHOI »

Just felt like posting this quote from Aura;
Aura wrote: Iwanako has her own life to live... I wonder if we meet her again...
You can take that however you you guys want. Basically seems like it can fall on either side for now. I just hope that if she is introduced again that the story wont completely shift to her.
Anon

Post by Anon »

For some perspective, the Japanese novel Death Note: Another Note, the Los Angeles BB Murder Cases feautures Americans named Beyond Birthday, Believe Bridesmaid, Quarter Queen, and Backyard Bottomslash. The protaginists wonder if there may be more than one person with that last name in a particular neighborhood, implying it's not unusual in any way.

Is planting a culture-sensitive non-sequitor landmine in your drama a good idea?
Rozen

Post by Rozen »

WASSHOI wrote:Just felt like posting this quote from Aura;
Aura wrote: Iwanako has her own life to live... I wonder if we meet her again...
You can take that however you you guys want. Basically seems like it can fall on either side for now. I just hope that if she is introduced again that the story wont completely shift to her.
I think Aura is trolling :)
WASSHOI

Post by WASSHOI »

Rozen wrote:
Well, he could but but he seemed fairly serious about his answers on the Q&A thread I was in (though I still don't know if he was just trollin with Misha's disability, still made me laugh hard though when he replied so short. Came off as the most casual "yes" ever in my mind when I read it.)

I wasn't sure if they would like me posting the link here before (since they did the thread on Fakku rather than here, thought it was for some reason or another) but Crud posted it so;
http://www.fakku.net/viewtopic.php?t=18556&start=0

Read through it and see what you think about it. I'm not one to make a big deal over subtle hints like that, but I figured you guys may like it.

Anon wrote:For some perspective, the Japanese novel Death Note: Another Note, the Los Angeles BB Murder Cases feautures Americans named Beyond Birthday, Believe Bridesmaid, Quarter Queen, and Backyard Bottomslash. The protaginists wonder if there may be more than one person with that last name in a particular neighborhood, implying it's not unusual in any way.

Is planting a culture-sensitive non-sequitor landmine in your drama a good idea?
But nobody in the VN says anything about her name at all. For all we know she could have been teased for it, they may have found it an uncommon name.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

WASSHOI wrote:
Rozen wrote:
Well, he could but but he seemed fairly serious about his answers on the Q&A thread I was in (though I still don't know if he was just trollin with Misha's disability, still made me laugh hard though when he replied so short. Came off as the most casual "yes" ever in my mind when I read it.)

I wasn't sure if they would like me posting the link here before (since they did the thread on Fakku rather than here, thought it was for some reason or another) but Crud posted it so;
http://www.fakku.net/viewtopic.php?t=18556&start=0

Read through it and see what you think about it. I'm not one to make a big deal over subtle hints like that, but I figured you guys may like it.
That "yes" was to the question about other females in KS (and even that should've been more like "kinda", in retrospect), not to the ADHD comment

Some of the noncommittal answers I gave were because I don't want to reveal much about the content of the full game, not trolling.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
WASSHOI

Post by WASSHOI »

Aura wrote:
Some of the noncommittal answers I gave were because I don't want to reveal much about the content of the full game, not trolling.
I knew you were limited in what exactly you could give away and what you couldn't. Its obvious you had to give subtle and reserved answers from some questions.

Funny thing is so many people took the comment about ADHD as the "yes".
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I found the response to the yandere comment even funnier, considering that I didn't mean at all that the KS girls are particularly yandere.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Silver Seraph

Post by Silver Seraph »

From this discussion, my original idea of having her become a main girl is a bad idea. But I'm sure that a lot of people are just curious as to whatever happened to her - which is why I thought of a way to put her back in.

I think a simple meeting with her would suffice. Perhaps the dream sequence can occur after that, or not. And is it so bad just for them to still be friends? Of course keep her a minor character like on the level of Akira. I'm not saying she should be in every route. Perhaps keep her on Kenji's side, or just a random girl.

Just think about it devs, okay?
WASSHOI

Post by WASSHOI »

Silver Seraph wrote:
From this discussion, my original idea of having her become a main girl is a bad idea. But I'm sure that a lot of people are just curious as to whatever happened to her - which is why I thought of a way to put her back in.

I think a simple meeting with her would suffice. Perhaps the dream sequence can occur after that, or not. And is it so bad just for them to still be friends? Of course keep her a minor character like on the level of Akira. I'm not saying she should be in every route. Perhaps keep her on Kenji's side, or just a random girl.

Just think about it devs, okay?
If she's coming back into the story I just hope she doesn't become a main focal point of the route from that instant on. Like you said, a mention of her would be fine, maybe a meeting with her. Then again, who knows what we'll have planned out for us.
Akira

Post by Akira »

Silver Seraph wrote:Perhaps keep her on Kenji's side, or just a random girl.
Would be funny if she did turn up and then she and Kenji ended up getting together :wink:
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Akira wrote:
Would be funny if she did turn up and then she and Kenji ended up getting together :wink:
I would be ok with that, actually.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."

Post by Guest »

Akira wrote:
If I was Hisao, I'd feel insulted to have a girl who liked me go for Kenji of all people. Besides, no way is Kenji going to have a relationship again. Not with a woman at least.
SABAN

Post by SABAN »

Guest wrote:
Akira wrote:
If I was Hisao, I'd feel insulted to have a girl who liked me go for Kenji of all people. Besides, no way is Kenji going to have a relationship again. Not with a woman at least.
BAD END imminent.

Hisao sees Kenji with Iwanako, Kenji tells Hisao about their relationship, Hisao HNNNNNNGGGGGGGs and falls, Iwanako panics, reminded of Hisao's first heart attack.

Things go to hell from there.