Has anyone made an archive for the fanfics?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

just-a-lurker

Has anyone made an archive for the fanfics?

Post by just-a-lurker »

I'm wondering because a lot of images on the board are gone due to (from what i have gathered) shimmie going down. I know the booru exists for the fan art, but is there anything like that for the fanfics? I don't want to lose them if/when the forums go down. Apologies if this has been answered already, I just want to know because if there isn't then I wouldn't mind making one
im just lurking, dont mind me~!
OtakuNinja

Re: Has anyone made an archive for the fanfics?

Post by OtakuNinja »

The only answer I found was to screenshot the most important ones, or if possible, ask the author if they have them saved in a doc that's easy to share.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Iceconsciousness

Post by Iceconsciousness »

OtakuNinja is right, there isn't really any archive to speak of as it stands now. I suppose you could copy and paste the text for the ones you like into a document or something, that would be a little easier than screenshotting the longer ones piece by piece in my opinion. I don't know if this interferes with some kind of unspoken rule about author consent, though. I can't imagine it would be that different from screenshotting them in that regard, though.
I just want to know because if there isn't then I wouldn't mind making one
I think a lot of us would appreciate that, myself included.
just-a-lurker

Post by just-a-lurker »

Iceconsciousness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 am
The best way to archive the fanfics would be to move them to ao3, that site is the most popular fan fiction host today and every year they have a fund raiser to keep the servers running. I guess the account should be called something "Katawa Shoujo Archive", I'll start the process of creating it today and then I'll start with the most popular fics.

Edit: Just added my email to the invitation list and they said that I should be ready on the 15th. Hopefully I get in sooner, but now we have a date!
Hacksorus

Post by Hacksorus »

just-a-lurker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:09 pm
Iceconsciousness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 am
The best way to archive the fanfics would be to move them to ao3, that site is the most popular fan fiction host today and every year they have a fund raiser to keep the servers running. I guess the account should be called something "Katawa Shoujo Archive", I'll start the process of creating it today and then I'll start with the most popular fics.

Edit: Just added my email to the invitation list and they said that I should be ready on the 15th. Hopefully I get in sooner, but now we have a date!
I think this is a great idea, thank you for taking the initiative on it.
Discord: Snowman#0476
just-a-lurker

Post by just-a-lurker »

no problem! its the least i could do.

Update on the AO3 account status, i'm still waiting for the email and they still haven't changed the date from 15th. Seems like I have to actually wait the whole time. In the mean time, if anyone has any personal suggestions for which fics should be archived first then please say them. I was going to start with rikabro's rika psuedo route since thats my favorite fic then go by popularity, but if anyone is eager for a specific fic then i'll put a priority on them.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

just-a-lurker wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:24 pm
no problem! its the least i could do.

Update on the AO3 account status, i'm still waiting for the email and they still haven't changed the date from 15th. Seems like I have to actually wait the whole time. In the mean time, if anyone has any personal suggestions for which fics should be archived first then please say them. I was going to start with rikabro's rika psuedo route since thats my favorite fic then go by popularity, but if anyone is eager for a specific fic then i'll put a priority on them.
Sisterhood for sure
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Time to start using PMs. Leave the pushing for your faves off the forums proper.

Also yeah, official notice I took notice, no objections from me, don't try this at home, be safe, yadda yadda.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Grayest

Post by Grayest »

What if the real 'Best girl' was the friends we made along the way?
just-a-lurker

Post by just-a-lurker »

Hey everyone! The account is up, and I'll start archiving ASAP. I'll include the author and original post date before every fic along side a message saying that if you were the original author and you want it removed to please contact me. The first fic is already fully archived. I'm glad I could do something like this for the community!

Here's the link to the account: https://archiveofourown.org/users/katawa_shoujo_archive

If anyone has any suggestions for fics to archive or anything to add, PM me here and I'll be sure to get back to you.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

You have my permission to use anything and everything I've written.
Not Dead Yet
brythain

Post by brythain »

just-a-lurker wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:47 pm If anyone has any suggestions for fics to archive or anything to add, PM me here and I'll be sure to get back to you.
If you feel like adding anything I've written, I would be most interested in seeing how you manage it—it's all over the place!
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
just-a-lurker

Post by just-a-lurker »

Hey all! Sorry for not being super active on the archiving, work has been busy. Tomorrow I'll continue. Just felt like I should update you all!
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Time also to start using PMs for volunteering one's own works.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

I've been thinking about this and been backing some stuff up on my own. Glad to see others were of a similar mind. Great work so far, keep it up!
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.