Who was your first Katawa Shoujo Girl?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Lightman

Who was your first Katawa Shoujo Girl?

Post by Lightman »

I am curious about this. I'd never played a game of this genre before, so the first time through, I'd go with the choices I guess I'd follow if I were Hisao's situation myself. After playing it through once, I'm then selecting my choices to try and follow one of the girl's paths.

The first time I played it through, I paired up with Emi. Given I went with my instincts when making choices in the game, does this mean she is the best natural match for me? Although, to be honest, I preferred Hanako's route.

So, who was your first girl? And did you think she was a good match for your own personallity?
brythain

Re: Who was your first Katawa Shoujo Girl?

Post by brythain »

Lightman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 am So, who was your first girl? And did you think she was a good match for your own personallity?
Shizune, and yes, she is very much like my wife.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

When I played the demo I got Hanako, but the first complete route I played was Lilly's. In a way, Hanako symbolizes the people I ended up actually dating, with Lilly being the kind of person I think would be healthier for me.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Iceconsciousness

Post by Iceconsciousness »

When I played through the first time I, too, got Emi. I did like her route, and I think she is the type of person I end up dating. However, I think Lilly would be a much closer match for my personality, as well as being the type of person that I prefer to go out with.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

The first time I played through the game, I got Hanako, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

She's obviously the best character out of the lot of them. :wink:
Not Dead Yet
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Oddball wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:54 am The first time I played through the game, I got Hanako, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'm just gonna leave this here... :wink:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Oddball wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:54 am

The first time I played through the game, I got Hanako, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I got Emi first, but I totally agree with you. Although I do wish Yuuko had been an option. She is totally my type, and she's adorable in that waitress uniform.

Last edited by emmjay on Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Chandeskee

Post by Chandeskee »

I originally started Emi's route, when I first read. I've come to discover that it's a number of traits from all of the girls that go towards what I believe is a good personality match with me. Regardless, I enjoy Emi as a character, and her route is enjoyable. I did know someone intimately who had traits of Emi, and I ended up making some poor choices that ended up hurting us badly. I wish I paid more attention to that route back then. haha
tamám shud
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Emi was my first girl too. I think Hanako was my second followed by Lilly, Shizune and finally Rin.

I remember seeing a statistic some time back where a guy at queried people and gotten a rough estimate of what characters get what percentage their first time.

If I recall correctly Emi got around 70% of all first time players with Rin only getting 3%. The later is because she is famously meant to be hard to get. The other however kinda just happened. I am pretty sure Hivemind and the others mentioned that looking back they'd have liked to add something more to getting her then just running.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

The first girl I got was Emi, like a lot of people. I think that a lot of people get Emi first since her route is the easiest to get. Then, I get Lilly, Hanako, Rin and Shizune, in that order. I'm not a sports-like person, but I kinda like Emi's personality. But I don't think it would be a good match for me, even if I liked her route. I would say that a much more accurate match for me would be a girl like Lilly. Yes, I have 0 originality.
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Got Hanako's path when I first played the Act 1 demo back in May of 2009. Simply continued from there when the full game was released a few years later. I can proudly say that I scored her good ending on my 1st try.
notnotguest

Post by notnotguest »

When I played the demo the first time, I got Kenji. The first girl I got was Rin, after loading my last save and making the opposite choice at the end. Then I got Kenji a couple more times and then looked up the flowchart online in frustration.

The issue is that I was trying to go for Lilly and thus avoided options that looked like they were associated with the other girls, but I didn't realize that Lilly and Hanako are a package deal, so avoiding Hanako locked me out of Lilly's route and thus sent me straight to Roofville.

Incidentally, I really don't understand why everyone claims Rin's route is hard to get though. If you answer each choice randomly, Rin is actually the second most likely after Emi (not counting Kenji of course). Shizune, Lilly, and Hanako all require you to make a specific sequence of choices (some of which were rather unclear in the demo) while Rin merely requires you to not pursue the other girls and then join the art club at the end.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

When I played the demo the first time, I got Kenji. The first girl I got was Rin, after loading my last save and making the opposite choice at the end. Then I got Kenji a couple more times and then looked up the flowchart online in frustration.
There's something both hilarious and sad about that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they got Kenji the first time, and I know I've never seen anyone say they got Kenji multiple times before they were able to get any of the other girls.
Not Dead Yet
notnotguest

Post by notnotguest »

The issue is that I was trying to get Lilly without understanding that it requires you to also do the pro-Hanako choices. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten Emi or Shizune without a guide.
apackofbadgers

Post by apackofbadgers »

First time I played I was 'honest' with myself and got Kenji. Second time I followed a Hanako route guide until the last question. I was so deep in the 'she is too shy to go outside' mindset that I didn't even check the guide and chose to stay inside. That bad ending really caught me off guard and I felt pretty bad afterwards.