Another general opinion about Katawa Shoujo...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Abominable

Another general opinion about Katawa Shoujo...

Post by Abominable »

Hi! For the last five months I have been playing Katawa Shoujo in English (May-September 2020). English is not my native language...

This is the first and only visual novel I have ever played, until now.

Now, In order to close this chapter of my life experience I feel like sharing a very brief summary of my strongest impressions, as others have done around here. I admit that I have registered in the forum only for this.

SPOILER ALERT!

I met Katawa Shoujo in 2012(!!), and since then, over the years, I have tried to play it three or four times without progressing much beyond Act 1.

This time, however, I got serious about it. I have completed the visual novel (using a guide - I have a serious problem making decisions. :oops: ) reaching 100% confirmed reading. When I enjoy it I like to do it calmly and slowly. The "reading" lasted five months.

The order I followed as I went through the different storylines was:
1. Lilly
2. Hanako
3. Shizune/Misha
4. Rin
5. Emi

From the very beginning Lilly was always the character I like the most. That's why I decided that her story arc would be the first one I would read.
Although I didn't find her story the best, the character herself didn't disappoint me. The sequence of the "chase" Yamaku/Hakamichi house/airport/hospital (in the good ending) seems to me the most vibrant/frenetic of Katawa Shoujo.

Hanako's panic attack in class seems very well narrated to me. Like Hisao, it took me a while to realize what was happening. I found it distressing. The final illustration of Hanako's good ending (Hanako's first romantic kiss, which happens to be very public) seems to me to be the best in the gallery by far. Its symbolism moved me.

The most disturbing moment in the visual novel occurs when Hisao agrees to comfort Misha. It's an extremely uncomfortable situation. Not so much because of "infidelity to Shizune" but because Misha is not in a position to give his consent given his emotional fragility. During the intimate relationship she becomes disoriented and oblivious to what is happening to her. We later discovered that Misha probably doesn't even like boys. The whole seriousness of the matter came as a bit of a shock to me considering that most of Katawa Shoujo is quite light. In any case, I liked it.

The Rin storyline (with a magnificent last name) seemed to me to be the best achieved. Not only is it the one with the most artistic visual elements, but it also seemed to me the best written one. I perceived an effort on the part of the author to imagine ingenious situations for Hisao and Rin. I also believe that her ending is the most accomplished (with her trying to embrace the world, without arms, while asking what is the word that describes when you feel that all things are right, which reminds us the Rin's leitmotiv of their struggles with language).

I felt that Emi's storyline makes the most astute use of turning points. For example, when it tempts the reader/player to make the same mistake as Emi (i.e. putting things away and making them less important). Also, Emi's appearance is misleading. She looked like a childish and innocent girl when in fact she is the one with the most experience and audacity. Another element to highlight is that the youthful and uninhibited sexual experimentation is more present in this storyline than in the others. And, as in real life, it is not always "works". It also offers, for me, the most "satisfactory" use of the Iwanako letter. The Iwanako letter has a special interest for me because it is a vortex: it is the only event common to all the storylines, and each storyline handles it differently.

The most important thing I want to say is that I say it now:

I've been wanting to see some rankings of visual novels on some websites and Katawa Shoujo is not very high. However, I will declare one thing:
I do not doubt there are visual novels that are superior to this one in terms of quality of art or writing or plot, and so... But I do doubt, i repeat, i do doubt that there is a visual novel with a better premise than Katawa Shoujo. I cannot conceive of one with a better premise. As good as that can be. More original, more ingenious, more imaginative perhaps. But better? I find it difficult to imagine. Honestly. And if there is one, tell me which one it is. And no, it is not a weird fetish or anything like that. :-) I think...

My English is not too good to go into details, and I don't want to bore anyone, so I'll leave it at these very general and random impressions. Congratulations to the makers (writers, artists, developers...) and Katawa Shoujo community!

Abominable
Abominable

Re: Another general opinion about Katawa Shoujo...

Post by Abominable »

Ouch! By the way. I have a question. It seems that I need to open an image from the gallery. Specifically the last one of all, which is beyond the images of "objects"... Could someone tell me how to do it? Thank you!

Abominable
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

You have to get absolute 100% completion to unlock that one.
Last edited by emmjay on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
fsnowdin

Post by fsnowdin »

It's a huge achievement to go through an English visual novel when you're not a native English speaker, especially because literally 100% of the game is reading English, so give yourself a pat on the back for that. You've done well! Glad to see you've enjoyed the game!
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

Wow. I recently decided to start up the old KS and felt super nostalgic about the forums and I have to stay I'm absolutely amazed to see the forum still active. Hard to believe it's been 13 years now since all this began with a bunch of /a/ neckbeards. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.
fsnowdin

Post by fsnowdin »

Mikage-sama wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 am Wow. I recently decided to start up the old KS and felt super nostalgic about the forums and I have to stay I'm absolutely amazed to see the forum still active. Hard to believe it's been 13 years now since all this began with a bunch of /a/ neckbeards. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.
For a small Visual Novel that came out 8 years ago, it's incredible to see this forum being up at all let alone being as active as it is. How was the forum like when the game came out?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Not sure how you want that question answered... More active than today?
The only one who could give you a hitcount would probably be SC...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I mean, the forums aren't really active that much, but they still get posts on a regular basis.

I'm not exactly sure where you draw the line at what's considered active and what isn't.

It's certainly not like the old days, that's for sure ... but to be expected.
Not Dead Yet
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

fsnowdin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:20 am How was the forum like when the game came out?
I don't remember the exact number of accounts, but there were always a bunch of people active at all times of the day. I hung out here a lot back in 2013-2014. As for the amount of forum posts I know a bit more. Back when I left these forums in 2014~ I had about 2-3% of all posts and now that's down to 0.67%.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)