Really really REALLY dumb questions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

kobe

Re: Really really REALLY dumb questions

Post by kobe »

How did Hanako burn exactly half of her body? I mean, if I got in a fire, i'm sure ALL of my body would be burned,or did she somehow stand in the flames with half of her body and not with the other half? Because then, wouldn't her clothes catch fire, and burn her entirely? (sorry if this was already asked somewhere or answered)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

The same way you make sunny side up eggs.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
gotryfag

Post by gotryfag »

Aura wrote:The same way you make sunny side up eggs.
Hanako, on a frying pan. Do eet.
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

Actually, I was going to mention the "half-face burn" thing. It just doesn't happen like that. I also remember some of the crew that made The Dark Knight talking about that in relation to Harvey. They said that various people, some doctors, were telling them "That's just inherently unrealistic" and so they had to think of a way to explain it to the audience. That's why they had him lying with half his face in fuel before getting just that bit lit up. The thing is, as I thought and as they were also told, that's still unrealistic. You can actually try it yourself; spray some deodorant onto your palm and light it with a match or a lighter. You'll get a light fire which will go out when the deodorant is all consumed. In other words, the fire "chooses" to burn the highly flammable thing rather than you, then goes out. I think it's something to do with the fact that the temperature of the flame from burning deodorant isn't high enough to ignite flesh. In the case of using petrol/gasoline, once it did eventually set fire to you - not guaranteed, oddly - you'd all be on fire, not just where the petrol used to be.

To be honest, though, I'm really not bothered by that. I mean, it's one of those sort of anime/fantasy things that you can just sort of ignore, just like how Hanako would also be bald because (a) the burnt side of her head would be incapable of growing hair any more and furthermore (b) all of her hair would set on fire, and even letting the previous thing go, at least her scalp would all be fucked up by the fire. Anyway, if the makers of The Dark Knight thought "Ah, whatever" then I don't think we have to be too anal about it.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
Bara

Post by Bara »

kobe wrote:How did Hanako burn exactly half of her body? I mean, if I got in a fire, i'm sure ALL of my body would be burned,or did she somehow stand in the flames with half of her body and not with the other half? Because then, wouldn't her clothes catch fire, and burn her entirely? (sorry if this was already asked somewhere or answered)
Hmmm, has anyone considered a scenario where in the fire Hanako was sprayed by very hot (boiling) liquid or even steam vapors. Just a half baked thought..... eerrr off the cuff I mean, please knock it full of holes.
Last edited by Bara on Sun May 17, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Akira

Post by Akira »

Teclo wrote:You can actually try it yourself; spray some deodorant onto your palm and light it with a match or a lighter.
Call me unadventurous, but I don't think I'll try that one :wink: lol

Could be a heat wave from an explosion or backdraft or something that caught her from one side rather than head on, so it burned her skin but didn't actually cause her to catch fire.
Just speculating though, I'm content to wait for the full game to see if it gets explained anyway.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

I think most of us have enough willing suspension of disbelief to overlook a half body burn. Like Teclo said, it worked for TDK.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

Akira wrote:
Teclo wrote:You can actually try it yourself; spray some deodorant onto your palm and light it with a match or a lighter.

Could be a heat wave from an explosion or backdraft or something that caught her from one side rather than head on, so it burned her skin but didn't actually cause her to catch fire.
Just speculating though, I'm content to wait for the full game to see if it gets explained anyway.
What you said. I always assumed she was hit with extreme HEAT from a fire, on one side, instead of actually being on fire herself. the way I picture it, her face isn't burned neatly half-and-half either.
Krull

Post by Krull »

Ok got one,and if it's been asked before-sorry it's 8AM and I have to be ready at 9AM so no time to see if this has been posted before....

This pic from the game:

Just what in the seven hells has Shizune got written on her underpants? :shock:
"Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane."

Philip K. Dick, Valis

"I just can't stop"~Me
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

"Stop stem cell research"
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Linear B

Post by Linear B »

PCJedi wrote:In that case, how do you say "Oro" in Sign Language? Do speech quirks like that even translate into signs at all?
You can hop over to the "In regards to Shizune thread" for a really long explanation (by me as a Guest before I regged), but the short one is that Japanese Sign Language (JSL) and Japanese are actually two different languages, so probably not. They're closer grammatically than American Sign Language (ASL) and English, but the important thing is that JSL ≠ "Japanese, but with signs"; sign languages are languages in their own right.
I have come to the conclusion that the Knossos and Pylos tablets must, after all, be written in Greek - a difficult and archaic Greek, seeing that it is 500 years earlier than Homer and written in an abbreviated form, but Greek nevertheless.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Aura wrote:"Stop stem cell research"
How DID that particular bit come about? Is this buried in the Fakku article?
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

For some reason, I'm worried that by the time the sex scenes roll around, all of the characterization and any morals or dignity the characters once held will be dropped and smutty shit will happen like Akira having sex with Hisao to make sure he was "good enough" for Lilly...that's not gonna happen, right?

Also, why didn't Rin ever get prosthetic arms?
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
erisi236

Post by erisi236 »

Akira wrote:
I actually used hair spray for that particular experiment. :lol:
"Iluvevery, single… one of ye… not you." - Lilly during another one of her drunken rampages.
atat

Post by atat »

Teclo wrote:
To be honest, though, I'm really not bothered by that. I mean, it's one of those sort of anime/fantasy things that you can just sort of ignore, just like how Hanako would also be bald because (a) the burnt side of her head would be incapable of growing hair any more and furthermore (b) all of her hair would set on fire, and even letting the previous thing go, at least her scalp would all be fucked up by the fire. Anyway, if the makers of The Dark Knight thought "Ah, whatever" then I don't think we have to be too anal about it.
she could be wearing a wig.
Nixons back!!!!