Really really REALLY dumb questions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Linear B

Re: Really really REALLY dumb questions

Post by Linear B »

Bara wrote:
Onearmdude wrote:
Bara wrote: They make braile writters for the blind. You feed a sheet of paper in and as you hit key combinations it embosses the braille letters on the paper. Think of chords on a piano or guitar; one chord in the letter "a", another is the letter "b", all the way to the letter "z".
Does that mean that there are only 26 embossment combinations needed to represent all 26 letters, or are an additional 26 needed to represent the capital letter variations? And are there any kind of embossed analogues to indents and line breaks?
That I couldn't begin to claim to know, maybe Linnear B or someone else could answer better, but as far as I know braille is simply a code to translate the visual writting into tactile writting. I would imagine it would carry the majority of the conventions and alphabet of the language being written in. But then I used to think that a conversation in ASL was pretty much the same as spoken english. I've only seen one used by a girl in my high school choir years ago. Aside from asking what they gizmo did and her explanation of how the key comboinations produced different braille letters I left it at that. I never felt any compulsion to try to copy out "War and Peace" in braille or anything. Hell, I never even felt the desire to try to READ "War and Peace"; in general Russian writters make my head hurt. :mrgreen:
English Braille is a form of written English, so it has embossment combos for everything you usually see: hyphens, quotation marks, etc. However, there are specific dot patterns to instruct "the following is a capital letter" and also "the following is a number", since they use A-J as 1,2....9, 0. Open and close parentheses are the same pattern, so you infer which one it is by whether there was another parentheses mark already. Open and close quotations are different, but open quotation = question mark, so which one it is is inferred via position relative to the sentence.

Plain braille transcription, where you go "punch in one braille pattern per letter", is Grade 1 Braille and is used only by beginners. Grade 2 Braille is used for virtually all books to reduce space and increase reading speed. There's a set of words like "but", "do", etc. which are abbreviated. There's contractions for double consonants like "ff", too. Grade 3 Braille is like shorthand and is used for writing quick notes and the like.

There used to be a lot of braille conventions for special texts like mathematics, but there's now a Unified English Braille Code that Anglophone countries are beginning to adopt.

Japanese braille, as you might expect, (sorta) codes for hiragana. The dot matrix for say, "ka", are the dot pattern for "k" and a dot pattern for "a" put together. The consonant patterns mostly use the 3 dots on the lower-right, the vowel patterns the three dots on the upper-left. There are also separate matrices used to mark that the following syllable begins with a voiced consonant, that the vowel is doubled, that numbers or romaji follow, punctuation marks, etc.

WIkipedia's articles give a good overview, of course.
ROFLWAFFLE!

Post by ROFLWAFFLE! »

Would they send people with respiratory problems to Yamaku?
"Michael Jackson ain't dead, he's just hiding somewhere in South America with Elvis n' 2pac."
Serrovin

Post by Serrovin »

Bara wrote:
kobe wrote:How did Hanako burn exactly half of her body? I mean, if I got in a fire, i'm sure ALL of my body would be burned,or did she somehow stand in the flames with half of her body and not with the other half? Because then, wouldn't her clothes catch fire, and burn her entirely? (sorry if this was already asked somewhere or answered)
Hmmm, has anyone considered a scenario where in the fire Hanako was sprayed by very hot (boiling) liquid or even steam vapors. Just a half baked thought..... eerrr off the cuff I mean, please knock it full of holes.
My ex's brother has a partial burn across the front of his body, chest thighs and upper arms. He had gas on his clothing if I remember right and it wasn't his flesh directly in contact with the fire, but instead more like touching a hit plate and having the skin melt and scar that way. Or myself on the back of my calf is a good size burn from when I was a baby where some very hot mashed potatoes landed. So Hanakos burn is plausible, given the right condition.
Lunar Archivist

Post by Lunar Archivist »

Serrovin wrote:My ex's brother has a partial burn across the front of his body, chest thighs and upper arms. He had gas on his clothing if I remember right and it wasn't his flesh directly in contact with the fire, but instead more like touching a hit plate and having the skin melt and scar that way. Or myself on the back of my calf is a good size burn from when I was a baby where some very hot mashed potatoes landed. So Hanakos burn is plausible, given the right condition.
The unusual burn pattern on her body is likely related to the actions of both herself as well as her mother. She mentions that 1) she rolled up into a ball when the fire came towards her and 2) her mother attempted to shield her from the flames with her own body.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Lunar Archivist wrote:
Serrovin wrote:My ex's brother has a partial burn across the front of his body, chest thighs and upper arms. He had gas on his clothing if I remember right and it wasn't his flesh directly in contact with the fire, but instead more like touching a hit plate and having the skin melt and scar that way. Or myself on the back of my calf is a good size burn from when I was a baby where some very hot mashed potatoes landed. So Hanakos burn is plausible, given the right condition.
The unusual burn pattern on her body is likely related to the actions of both herself as well as her mother. She mentions that 1) she rolled up into a ball when the fire came towards her and 2) her mother attempted to shield her from the flames with her own body.
And the combination of these 2 could have very easily led to burns on only one half of her body.
Lunacore

Post by Lunacore »

Roxius wrote:For some reason, I'm worried that by the time the sex scenes roll around, all of the characterization and any morals or dignity the characters once held will be dropped and smutty shit will happen like Akira having sex with Hisao to make sure he was "good enough" for Lilly...that's not gonna happen, right?

Also, why didn't Rin ever get prosthetic arms?
I dont know if it was answered but..
Look at Emi's prosthetic legs theyre useable to run. But here foots are not that detailed right?
Having Rin arms would possible but not what she most needed ; hands. The fingermovement would be realy bad.
Rin -> Emi -> Hanako -> Lily -> Shizune
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Lunacore wrote:
Roxius wrote:For some reason, I'm worried that by the time the sex scenes roll around, all of the characterization and any morals or dignity the characters once held will be dropped and smutty shit will happen like Akira having sex with Hisao to make sure he was "good enough" for Lilly...that's not gonna happen, right?

Look at Emi's prosthetic legs theyre useable to run. But here foots are not that detailed right?
Having Rin arms would possible but not what she most needed ; hands. The fingermovement would be realy bad.
There's also the fact that Rin has never had arms. He brain has wired itself that fine motor control goes to her legs and toes. Even if she had really good prosthetic arms, she wouldn't know how to use them.

And yeah, most prosthetic feet I've seen don't actually include toes. The ones that do have them all fused together. They're for aesthetic purposes and not function.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Lunacore wrote:

Prosthetics arms/hands are far shittier than the leg equivalent. Many real-life armless people choose not to use them.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Xanatos wrote:
Lunacore wrote:

Prosthetics arms/hands are far shittier than the leg equivalent. Many real-life armless people choose not to use them.
Well 2007 prosthetics anyway. Nowadays they're much better. Not as good as the real thing but still far better than 5/6 years ago
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:Well 2007 prosthetics anyway. Nowadays they're much better. Not as good as the real thing but still far better than 5/6 years ago
Hell, give it another decade or so and they'll be better than the real thing. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Lunacore

Post by Lunacore »

Xanatos wrote:
Steinherz wrote:Well 2007 prosthetics anyway. Nowadays they're much better. Not as good as the real thing but still far better than 5/6 years ago
Hell, give it another decade or so and they'll be better than the real thing. :lol:
That would creep me out xDD
Rin -> Emi -> Hanako -> Lily -> Shizune
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Xanatos wrote:
Good to know I'm not the only one thinking automail.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Brisingr wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Good to know I'm not the only one thinking automail.
Automail? Pfft. I'm thinking bigger. But automail is a start, yeah. :lol: I could use some of that myself.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Lunacore wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
That would creep me out xDD

Maybe. But for some people its a lot less creepy than a stump.
Last edited by pandaphil on Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Heck, by 2027 Rin'd be a downright female Adam Jensen. I can see her now, waving her hands around and even saying in her monotone voice: "I never asked for this." because she still knows how to do everything with her feet.