Other great VN ideas?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pibby

Other great VN ideas?

Post by pibby »

KS is definately one that stands out being that the demo shows some nice colors despite minor errors, which I didn't take too much note of. If FLS decides to make more VNs what would you guys think would make another eye opener? Share anything, it could be another romance VN, a mystery type VN like Chaos Head or the Higurashi series, whatever. It could involve magical girls driving mechs for all I care. Just something that might spark an idea for a possible VN FLS could make.
ChaosEngine

Re: Other great VN ideas?

Post by ChaosEngine »

If I had any worthwhile ideas, I would have already jumped right into them. Aside from the fact that I'm loving KS more and more as I play it, what really strikes me is the fact that they used the Ren'Py system. To be honest, I thought this was an original engine, I'd never seen a game so professionally done with Ren'Py.
ZettoSan

Post by ZettoSan »

I know it's not much of a suggestion, but I really loved Yume Miru Kusuri, which is similar to to Kotawa Shoujo, in that the girls are not representations of fetishes, but each girl has a unique problem. Maybe there could be an expansion of YMK with each girl having a different psychological problem that the hero has to find and help her though. Low self esteem, depression, anorexia, drug addiction, etc. I plan on being a psyche major, so...

Hint hint.
I won't say 'See you tomorrow' because that would be like predicting the future, and I'm pretty sure I can't do that.
Panuru

Post by Panuru »

ZettoSan wrote:I know it's not much of a suggestion, but I really loved Yume Miru Kusuri, which is similar to to Kotawa Shoujo, in that the girls are not representations of fetishes, but each girl has a unique problem. Maybe there could be an expansion of YMK with each girl having a different psychological problem that the hero has to find and help her though. Low self esteem, depression, anorexia, drug addiction, etc. I plan on being a psyche major, so...
I like it except that the "find and help her through" part seems problematic since you don't want to slip into giving easy answers. Being part of a process that she's already involved in would also work, and you could have people at a range of different stages of recovery. To make a parallel to KS, you could put the protagonist in a therapy group or held for 72-hour observation (timed game!) or something. With good writers, you could even have the protagonist's world colored by a mental illness.
Dootsy

Post by Dootsy »

Whenever I see an idea I like in "ideas for an anime/comic/game/etc" threads on 4chan, I save it to a giant text file. These are my favorites:
Idea 1 wrote:A young, sickly girl who has been hospital bound for most of her life has elaborate inter-connected lucid dreams where she is healthy and has many friends, and even has a boyfriend. She finds she prefers these dreams to her dreary life and becomes obsessed with them, often sleeping for days at a time. A cure for her disease is discovered, but even after her health takes a great turn for the better she continues to spend most of her life asleep. Eventually she must choose between starting from the ground up in the harsh real world to make real friends or to continue living in a death-like sleep with her dream friends who will always love her. Her dream friends plead her to stay with them, but she chooses not to and suddenly stops having those elaborate lucid dreams.

A few years later, her health takes another bad turn, and the movie-like dreams return. Her old imaginary friends remember her, and they want revenge for leaving them, especially her boyfriend. The girl is frightened by her constant nightmares and sleeps less and less, which takes a terrible toll on her health. She is nearing death, and the only way to stave it off is to face her fears and literally fight her inner demons. Which she does. She later gets a boyfriend in the real world and moves on.

Then we find out this was actually all in the head of her dream boyfriend, who in reality is a real boy in a situation much like the one he invented for his pretend girlfriend, who is seriously fucked in the head and also near death. He had to force his pretend lover to dump him in his mind so he could die in peace, knowing that she wouldn’t mourn his death and that she would be happy in the arms of another, because he believes she is actually real.
Idea 2 wrote:There's a homeless woman who lives in a dirt lot. She has a serious case of objectophilia (fetish for inanimate objects) and is attracted to a specific school bus in her district. She follows the bus around every day in order to win his heart and get busy with his exhaust pipe (the bus is not actually sentient, but she believes it is). She follows the bus on a field trip to an automobile exhibit where she then witnesses the insides of buses on display like some kind of sick freak show and has a panic attack. She runs outside to comforted in the bus's loving embrace, where she is recognized by the bus driver. The bus driver thinks she is a pedophile lusting after the children, when little does she know it is actually the bus who she truly loves. From this point on, many obstacles will be in her way, to test her true love for the bus. Can she overcome them? Find out in Yellow Lust!
Idea 3 wrote:Aliens make first contact with earth, it is a historic event.

If it were not for the fact that earth is fully inhabited by zombies.

Alien Slaughter begins.
Idea 4 wrote:An alternate history where the British colonists who settled in America had giant robots. The main protagonist is a Native American girl who tries to defend her home with a giant robot she found left by the Vikings.
Idea 5 wrote:A police officer whose teeth have been replaced with bullets that he can soot out of his mouth, but the catch is that if he bites down too hard his face will explode.
the title, GunDisease.
Idea 6 wrote:A guy in a world full of superheroes and villains who's only notable power is the ability to produce a bumper sticker of any size, shape, color and lettering he can imagine from his pockets instantly. He spends a lot of time in Walmart parking lots, making new bumper stickers for people who's old ones are annoying or offensive. You could have the guy become a vandalizing vigilante who uses his bumper sticker powers to make socio-political statements. He's eventually dubbed a villian by other superheroes who try to stop him. At the same time, he defies the corruption of villiany who seek to use him as a pawn. The concept is "rising above it all" with social commentary involved.
Strelok

Post by Strelok »

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8620/jewsx.jpg
As you can guess, if we were making a heart-warming visual novel about the hard life of jewish school kids in the WW2 Germany and name it "Kike Girls", it might raise a few eyebrows.
Might have to work on the name.
ZettoSan

Post by ZettoSan »

Panuru wrote:I like it except that the "find and help her through" part seems problematic since you don't want to slip into giving easy answers. Being part of a process that she's already involved in would also work, and you could have people at a range of different stages of recovery. To make a parallel to KS, you could put the protagonist in a therapy group or held for 72-hour observation (timed game!) or something. With good writers, you could even have the protagonist's world colored by a mental illness.
Well, we don't want to make things too easy. It could be possible to implement a Phoenix Wright style meter, an that could represent the girl's emotional stablity. There would be "Times of Crisis" modes, and you confront the girl. You need to keep her stability meter high, while providing correct actions to make the girl feel better. For example, a girl i about to kill herself, and she says she has no reason to live. Through about a series of 5 or 10 questions, you would have to provide her good reasons to live, and the only way to fiqure this out s by PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DECALOGUE and figure out what she needs emotionally.

And by the way, sex or love will never be an answer, simply a result of successful crisis handling.
I won't say 'See you tomorrow' because that would be like predicting the future, and I'm pretty sure I can't do that.