The future

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

BcDed

The future

Post by BcDed »

I was reading a post in here in which some of the developers expressed interest in working on another game after this and I was wondering if you guys ever worry that you wouldn't be able to top Katawa Shoujo. Maybe making something so good you can't beat it isn't really a problem but I'm just wondering what you guys think.
Is it really just a game, or is it a religious experience.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: The future

Post by Aura »

Well, all the devs have become better at their respective trade and we, as a "studio" are collectively a lot better at making VNs than what we were when we started. If we knew then what we know now, KS itself could be quite a bit better. If there was some concept or idea that could unite us in a similar way than KS does, I'm fairly sure we could produce something better. Whether anyone wants to go for another multiyear grind after this one is over, that's a different matter.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Katawa Shoujo will be really hard to beat. It"s a Fact!
A new Game should be nice, because probably the devs make a lot of good plots, scenes and why not conspiracys that cannot be put in the game for some reason.
The world of Eroges (or galges choose the name you like) is so big, so vast, that anything can happen, Katawa Shoujo it's a great game the ones that will come after him will be awesome games too.
I think that Katawa Shoujo is the "Final Fantasy VII" of Galges.
Sorry if you sometimes don't understand what i say.
jijhijhet

Post by jijhijhet »

Bruno wrote:Katawa Shoujo will be really hard to beat. It"s a Fact!
A new Game should be nice, because probably the devs make a lot of good plots, scenes and why not conspiracys that cannot be put in the game for some reason.
The world of Eroges (or galges choose the name you like) is so big, so vast, that anything can happen, Katawa Shoujo it's a great game the ones that will come after him will be awesome games too.
I think that Katawa Shoujo is the "Final Fantasy VII" of Galges.
I think thats far to early to say to say katawa shoujo is one of the best, also I (we) don't know how hard the game will be.

P.S. this small line above makes me look like an ass
I kare not about grammer ro speling
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

*Wryly* Katawa Shoujo 2: Mental Disability Girls.

*Counts on fingers* A girl with Autism, a girl with ADHD, a Bipolar girl, a girl with Short-Term Memory Loss, and a girl with Disassociative Identity Disorder. Or thereabouts.

*Only partially joking*

It is true, jijhijhet, that Katawa Shoujo is very good. Granted, I haven't played every Visual Novel there is, or even close, but I do have to admit that the story is very engaging, and in fact I'd say it's better than most of the other VNs I've played. I don't say that to flatter, either; if I have a criticism, I'll state it in the hopes that it will be addressed. But so far, I have very few issues with the game.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

I think it is safe to say that unless another idea captures our interest, the 4LS roster post-KS will be different than it is now.
pibby

Post by pibby »

Rednal wrote:*Wryly* Katawa Shoujo 2: Mental Disability Girls.

*Counts on fingers* A girl with Autism, a girl with ADHD, a Bipolar girl, a girl with Short-Term Memory Loss, and a girl with Disassociative Identity Disorder. Or thereabouts.
As good as that sounds, I think it'd be a wreck. You do realize what it's like for people to have extreme cases of these right? Autism is no joke and even mild Autism makes anyone socially ackward. I mean physical disabilities is one thing, but being messed up inside is another. Imo, I think the bipolar girl would be the only girl who's not so socially ackward since I know one. The ADHD girl wouldn't be so bad either I guess but I'm gonna stop before i kept ranting.
As for the future of FLS, I don't think anyone can say a lot since they're still working on making the full version of KS. Least someone from the production team says otherwise. I would say they're doing well off so far: not using the VN trend, using quality artwork, no forceful fanservice. Being original is what's gonna make FLS successful and stand out above the rest, if they decide to make more VNs right after this one.
Speaking of future VNs, I don't suppose it would be wrong to make a thread about making new stuff would it? Ya I'm gonna do that now.
ClckwrkLoyale

Post by ClckwrkLoyale »

I for one, believes that a sequel wouldn't be as cool as the original.

Seeing the studio's capability, I wouldn't doubt your capability on going commercial
Aura wrote:Well, all the devs have become better at their respective trade and we, as a "studio" are collectively a lot better at making VNs than what we were when we started. If we knew then what we know now, KS itself could be quite a bit better. If there was some concept or idea that could unite us in a similar way than KS does, I'm fairly sure we could produce something better. Whether anyone wants to go for another multiyear grind after this one is over, that's a different matter.
I have to agree, Though it's quite saddening to see the truth.
“If I would be in the company of priests in heaven, I would rather go to hell,”
BcDed

Post by BcDed »

It's unfortunate to hear that you guys might not stick together. It seems I'm not the only one who feels this way as there is now a topic about providing you guys with ideas for after this one.
From what I gather you guys seem to have a good dynamic going on, or at least if there is conflict it doesn't show so I hope even if the team does change many of the key members stay the same.
It's good that you feel you could have done better true artists are never satisfied with their work.
Good luck and I was wondering who wrote the beginning intro, if you'd be willing to share.
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

pibby wrote:You do realize what it's like for people to have extreme cases of these right?
Yes. Yes, I do. In one case, anyway. And not one of the less-troublesome ones, either.

The good thing about 4LS is that it isn't necessarily solid in who's around; people come and go, and so new people with new talents might well replace those who head out. And with more knowledge, it's not impossible that development time will become shorter as well without reducing the quality of the work. Experience does help, after all.
Jake Fuyou

Post by Jake Fuyou »

I'd say whatever you guys do next would be popular just because you have made it so much more accessible. I have been on /a/ for a while now and I've never seen a VN gain this much attention. It saves having to fish around for English patches for other VN's, you guys have an English forum which interacts with fans, that's really good.

Post by Guest »

I think it's obvious that Katawa Shonen is next.
Ozymil

Post by Ozymil »

Guest wrote:I think it's obvious that Katawa Shonen is next.
Man-ako... Not sure if I want...
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
Envy

Post by Envy »

Good luck coming up with an idea for a project that'll interest the team and audience that also provides a place and job for everyone while alienating no one.

No, seriously, good luck with that. You'll need it.
BcDed

Post by BcDed »

Envy wrote:Good luck coming up with an idea for a project that'll interest the team and audience that also provides a place and job for everyone while alienating no one.

No, seriously, good luck with that. You'll need it.
Way to be a buzz kill envy.