Who's storyline moved you the most in Katawa Shoujo?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Asahime Kyoko

Who's storyline moved you the most in Katawa Shoujo?

Post by Asahime Kyoko »

For me, it had to be Hanako's, and most of Emi's as well <3
a1fox3

Re: Who's storyline moved you the most in Katawa Shoujo?

Post by a1fox3 »

1. Emi. I also cried the most with this one.
2. Hanako.
3. Lilly.
4. Rin.
5. Shizune. This is the only one I did not cry over.
Strela_999

Post by Strela_999 »

It could have been Emi, and I feel bad for telling this, but... I can't stand her, it's really a character type that I'd find insufferable IRL :mrgreen: not to mention that even if I like some sports such as swimming, I tend to see running as a form of self-harm that I intend to avoid for the rest of my life :lol:

The result is that the storyine that moved me the most was Lilly's, as we see the creation of a pure, mutually heartfelt love between them, with as a bonus the "adoption" of Hanako. Hanako's storyline was the first I've done and I thoroughly enjoyed it, its sadder parts left me with tears welling up in my eyes and its moment of glory made me really feel happy inside, but most of the time, I felt more sad for Hanako than anything else, while Lilly's story depicts a natural, beautiful affection that develops between two people, because Lilly's handicap is NOT one in terms of romantic development.

On the other hand, Rin's ending was really interesting to follow but did not make me feel that emotionally involved, while Shizune's storyline was ruined by the fact that I really found the character quite antipathic. It isn't a critic towards the writers, in fact, I can only congratulate them on developing her character, which felt extremely natural, really like a person you'd meet IRL, maybe one of the most realistic characters in all of KS. It's just that it's the kind of person that I wouldn't like.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hanako's.

I think that story best shows two people that have become very lost finding each other.
Not Dead Yet
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Depends on how you define "moved"
I had the strongest reaction to the first ending I read - Emi's bad one.
Obviously not a good reaction, though... More like a cold knot in the gut...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Tendo64

Post by Tendo64 »

I'm probably the only one, but Misha's did for me actually.

I found her situation with Shizune to be really relatable, seeing as I've been in a similar situation, having fallen in love with another girl that didn't love me back, and watching her become more and more distant as time went on. It really hurts, caring for someone so much only to find them barely thinking about you. Not that it's her fault, as I'm aware you can't choose you fall for and that sometimes people just move on. Yet it still isn't the great feeling thinking about how close you used to be with someone and watching them continue their life without you. Especially if you're like me and find it hard to befriend people.
Kathos

Post by Kathos »

I think im gonna have to go with emi or hanako
Katawa Shoujo will never fade away. no matter when, there will still be someone introduced to KS or feel the way this game has changed their life. :D
shadow5

Post by shadow5 »

I’m going to say Lilly’s is #1 to me, as it felt the most leading towards a long-term commitment, possibly marriage. The honest emotions showed by Lilly, and how she stoically hid them so that no one else would feel burdened was heartbreaking. Especially when the cracks start to show, and Hisao is seeing these things but doesn’t think he should interfere. Then the final realization that, interfering is exactly what couples do for each other, and the race to fix the damage he’d done just kept me crying. But that damn music box when he comes to, that just made me stop when I first heard it playing and realized what was happening. Hers is the storyline I revisit every time, followed by Emi’s.

Emi’s also makes me tear up badly. I don’t like it as much as Lilly’s, because to me without an epilogue it’s still questionable where their relationship will go or how long it will last. But there’s optimistic hope now that’s she’s allowed Hisao into her life the whole way. That’s life, as Emi says, but it still didn’t leave me as satisfied as Lilly’s good ending. Emi’s bad ending can suck it, as I can’t replay that ever again. It hurt way too much.

Hanako’s is brutal, so I’d put it up there with the other two, Lilly’s and Emi’s. The raw emotional pain is so, realistic, it’s terrifying as I could 100% believe that’s what someone could go through. The crushing depression and self-isolation because of self-loathing is truly hard to handle here.

Rin’s didn’t impact me as much, as I didn’t really see her character as really dateable in real-life. I’m an artist, and can say that I’ve gone through bouts of Rin-ness, but I couldn’t handle being with someone else who’s that way 100% of the time.

Shizune I didn’t like. Which isn’t a criticism of the story. If anything it’s because she written so realistically. I’ve know and been friends with several people like her, and it’s good for friendship but horrible for dating.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I’m going to say Lilly’s is #1 to me, as it felt the most leading towards a long-term commitment, possibly marriage.
To me, both Hanako's and Lilly's felt this way.

The other relationships still left some room for doubt, but with Hanako and Lilly I got the feeling that after what they went through, they would be together forever.

Of course I'd like to think the others turned out good as well, but they didn't feel as concrete to me.
Maybe I'm just an old softy though.
Not Dead Yet
shadow5

Post by shadow5 »

Oddball wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:13 am
I’m going to say Lilly’s is #1 to me, as it felt the most leading towards a long-term commitment, possibly marriage.
To me, both Hanako's and Lilly's felt this way.

The other relationships still left some room for doubt, but with Hanako and Lilly I got the feeling that after what they went through, they would be together forever.

Of course I'd like to think the others turned out good as well, but they didn't feel as concrete to me.
Maybe I'm just an old softy though.
You're not an old softy, as I'd stake a claim on that title so that makes us two.

I have to say you're absolutely right, though Shizune's route doesn't answer it as concretely as Lily's epilogue or Hanako's ending, and Rin doesn't strike me as a long-term relationship-type person but would absolutely stay close to Hisao. Ultimately to me it's Lilly's epilogue that confirms that they actually go beyond just a school romance into a legit marriage as none of the storylines have an epilogue, so things are left up to the players interpretation.
Akko2099

Post by Akko2099 »

I can't just say Rin.
But Rin.

It resonated with me in a way no other story has done. Her love is far more meaningful to Hisao, even when her lack of social skills and overall personality isn't perfect at all, she is someone that would reciprocate all the love and care you'd give her.
That relationship would be really difficult for Hisao, but Rin is worth it.

Hanako and Lilly are mostly tied. I even feel bad every time I have to make the choice of going to the library or going into town. I feel like I'm cheating on the other.

Also:

Rin > Hanako > Lilly > Emi > Misha > Saki > Miki > Yuuko > Akira > Hideaki > Kenji > Shizune
Rin > Hanako > Lilly > Emi > Misha > Saki > Miki > Yuuko > Akira > Hideaki > Kenji > Shizune