Lilly vs irl blind people & Lilly fanfics

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kibaro

Lilly vs irl blind people & Lilly fanfics

Post by Kibaro »

Ok, tried putting 2 topics into one to save space and not clutter the forum, also hey all, feels nice returning to the forums after a good while :) glad to see it's still up and running :) So..

First thing:
Since i don't personally know any blind people myself, i was wondering if anyone could answer my question. Do blind people irl behave as Lilly does, as far as 'ableness' goes? Are they really that skillful and handy? (pun not intended) I know the 4LS crew made their research on the topic but i'm curious what people who know other blind people can say on this :)

Don't want to come off as offensive, ignorant or insensitive so if i said something in a bad way let me know and i'll try to re-word it, thank you :)

Second thing:
Any recommendations for some really good quality Lilly fanfiction?(and if you feel like writing maybe say why as well). Thank you.
Oddball

Re: Lilly vs irl blind people & Lilly fanfics

Post by Oddball »

One time when I used to work in the dollar store, I had a blind person come in to buy some shampoo. He asked me if I could take him to the aisle, not by taking his hand or anything like that, but by simply stepping hard when I walked and he would follow the sounds of my footsteps.

Once he got to the aisle, I had to tell him what shelf it was, but he was able to pick out the bottle itself by feeling the bottle and smelling it.

When he paid, each of his bills was folded a certain way so he could tel what they were. As for change, he just put a handful on the counter and asked me to pick out what I needed.

That's my sole experience with a blind person but he seemed very capable or handling himself.
Not Dead Yet
Just Some Guy

Post by Just Some Guy »

Well, I'm no expert on how blind people live, but I remember watching some videos on YouTube a few years ago (long before I discovered Katawa Shoujo) hosted by a man named Tommy Edison who was born blind. Many of his videos are about the experience of being blind and how blind people live. You can check out his channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TommyEdisonXP/

This is probably a really good representative video describing how a blind person cooks their own food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiOuVA7PEc

Short version: It seems like when you're blind, you learn how to adapt and while there are certainly limitations and challenges, blind people can live full lives.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

Thank you for the answers, they were quite satisfactory :)