Question about Lily's route

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

PlatinumStar

Question about Lily's route

Post by PlatinumStar »

Last night i finished Lily's route and until the 4th act it was beautiful, probably the best so far. then act 4 starts, and i think that after Hisao's conversation with Akira it takes a turn for the worst.

The question is: Why does Lily want to go to Scotland? She really does'nt win that much by going there, she meets her family (family that neglected her for 6 years) and gets to see Akira, by staying she gets to be with Hisao (you know, the guy she loves, and i mean REALLY loves), Hanako and all of her other friends. Besides its not like she is chossing between Hisao and her friends or her family, she is chossing between Hisao, her friends and her family or just her family, because if she stays in Yamaku its not like she wont see them anymore, they are pretty rich so she can visit them them many times has she want, the same can not be said about Hisao, a relationship cant work trough visits and phone calls.

she never explains the reason she wants to go to Hisao, and if it werent for Akira she probably would have told him about her departure in the last moment, making Hisao feel even shittier, which is another thing that threw me off in this route, Lily tramples Hisao's feeling in this part, like really after all that happened between them, what sane person would just say ''im leaving the country forever in a week or so'', even worst a couple day before it happens.

This is a visual novel, so of couse that this plot is only to give her route an end, a much needed drama for a route that was pretty much Hisao and Lily Getting along without the barriers that the other girls have. but, if a real person happened to be in the same situation as Lily and also choosed to go, i think there would be only be one reasons for her to take this path:
That person really does'nt care abot her partner, like REALLY does'nt give two shits about their relationship (which is not the case with Lily, since its a novel and of course, she has to love the main character).

Back to the novel: Lily loves Hisao, likes living in Yamaku, Her friends live there, she can Chase her dream of becoming a teacher with no problem there, she can still see her family living there, so Why does she want to go? if this were real life, pretty much a desire to shit on herself and her partner's life, in the novel, a plot element, she wants to go so Hisao can chase her at the airport and give us that nice ending, for me i did'nt felt like this was a choice this character would have decided if she actually were real, just a decision the writer of the story had to give the route a dramatic ending.

In the end i felt really bad, the route was so beautiful until then and to be fair the airport scene and everything that cames after was also nice, too bad it all was under that context, for me the plot was pretty much Lily making probably the biggest mistake of her life, with no reason behind it, and our poor Hisao coming to save the day.

Thanks for reading, i had this bottled up since i finished it, i would love if some of you shares their opinion in this matter, maybe i can see it from a diferent angle.
InSaiyan

Re: Question about Lily's route

Post by InSaiyan »

In my eyes, it was just a plot point. Like you mentioned, just needed to throw some drama in there to shake it up.

That being said, Lilly is very traditional and mature, even to a fault. I imagine that her denying her families wishes could be perceived as very rude to them, which would go against her character. So, maybe she didn't feel like she really had a choice in the matter.
"We're just two children, pretending to be adults, aren't we?"

Current project: Teach Me To Dance: A Natsume Ooe Pseudo-Route
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

That being said, Lilly is very traditional and mature, even to a fault. I imagine that her denying her families wishes could be perceived as very rude to them, which would go against her character. So, maybe she didn't feel like she really had a choice in the matter.
I'd say that's exactly what it is.

On top of that, Lilly might not have known her family well, but she wanted to and her sister, whom she was very close to was leaving for Scotland as well.
Not Dead Yet
PlatinumStar

Post by PlatinumStar »

InSaiyan wrote:In my eyes, it was just a plot point. Like you mentioned, just needed to throw some drama in there to shake it up.

that makes sense actually, guess never had that part of her character in mind, still, that does not answer the fact that she keeps all to herself, just to slap Hisao's face with it when the time comes. kinda sad to see that being the best explanation for it.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Yeah, it was also what disappointed me about her route.
I get that she was raised to never go against the wishes of her parents, but she knew she would go to Scotland even before she got together with Hisao and started a relationship with him anyway. That's what would be the inexcusable part of her behaviour for me.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Why she keeps it to herself is partially because she tends to place herself in the position where others turn to her for help, rather than having to get help from others. It's not that she's trying to prove anything, she just values her independence whenever possible.

Another part, the more human part, is that she didn't have a solution to the problem that wouldn't hurt or disappoint somebody. I feel part of her was just waiting and hoping for a miracle where everything would turn out find or she'd know exactly what to do.
Not Dead Yet
cazabrow

Post by cazabrow »

She says in the route that her father specifically is very Patriarchal, they also own a company and live lavishly so it's like a summons which is not expected to be denied. Add that with the fact that their parents who so far neglected them seem to want her back in their life and Akira is going permanently as well who is her only true family. AND THEN the whole Dilema within Lilly's route is that Hisao never truly allowed her to depend on HIM until the very end made her believe it was better to bottle up and keep it to herself since she didn't tell him.

She still had conflict about her decision but objectively she would only stay behind for a boyfriend she didn't "depend" on over all that. Of course until Hisao explained that she had now become his whole world and would do anything for her.