Voice acting the entirety of Katawa Shoujo?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Notguest

Re: Voice acting the entirety of Katawa Shoujo?

Post by Notguest »

Ploggs wrote:
emmjay wrote: It makes sense in a way that there isn't as much inflection conveyed through sign language when compared to vocals (then again, I know nothing about sign language). However I think it'd take a lot of the emotion away from her dialogue, most of which can be garnered through context.
Actually, it tends to be the other way around. Facial expressions and body language are a major part of sign language.
StilesLong

Post by StilesLong »

I think they only way it could work is if the text's progress on-screen and the facial expressions were matched up with the voices. This would require a re-write of the game so that voice files play as the text scrolls, and this would turn the VN into more of a movie.

Others have also pointed out that the voices wouldn't match with head-canon. Maybe we could have some sort of microsoft sam style voice that can be modified to better match people's opinions? The problem then of course would be that we'd lose emotional content.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

I think the bigger problem is that KS has a higher word count than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not many internet hobby projects can survive for that long.
StilesLong

Post by StilesLong »

Notguest wrote:I think the bigger problem is that KS has a higher word count than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not many internet hobby projects can survive for that long.
Welp, TIL. That's pretty wild.
brythain

Post by brythain »

StilesLong wrote:
Notguest wrote:I think the bigger problem is that KS has a higher word count than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not many internet hobby projects can survive for that long.
Welp, TIL. That's pretty wild.
If you look through the fanfic forum, there are now a few fanfic writers who have now exceeded 500k words, as KS itself does. LotR is variously counted in at 450-455k. Some other VNs are at 1m words and way beyond. For a multiple-ending VN, KS is actually pretty compact, considering that it's a bunch (as in bananas) of branching narratives with a common beginning.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)