Anyone feeling nostalgic?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ArazelEternal

Re: Anyone feeling nostalgic?

Post by ArazelEternal »

This was and has been, easily, my favorite VN out of the couple dozen Ive played. Even years and more VNs later. Nothing does it for me like this VN. Not exactly sure why, but nothing could even come close. A friend of mine and I have been discussing that (he feels the same way that I do.) We think it may be because the game was written by people who were not looking to make money from it or get recognition of any kind. It was people who did it because they wanted to and it was a labor of love. That made it feel more real, as if the story came from them and their hearts, that the characters they created were part of them. We think that is why it resonated with us so much.

I miss the community this forum used to have. It used to be hard to keep up with all the new posts and discussions. Now it can go days, even weeks at times without anything new really happening.

I havent played the game at all for probably a year or more now. In the process of redownloading it. Going to spend some time on it today. It will never again have the feeling it did the very first time I played it, but after so long Im sure a lot of it will come back.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

KatawaHaremGod wrote:I can't really speak of nostalgia per se just yet, as I've only really played this game for a month right now (though I did finish all the routes within 2 weeks)...

I will say that despite the happy endings, overall, this game gives me a vibe of a profound melancholy, a deep sadness I find hard to shake. A strong, deep, sense of longing for such a beautiful world to exist (and yet it doesn't...)

The music still brings me to tears even thinking about it...
Did you do the bad endings too?
The real melancholy starts there.

I really should replay it...Maybe get involved in the fanfiction.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I miss the community this forum used to have. It used to be hard to keep up with all the new posts and discussions. Now it can go days, even weeks at times without anything new really happening.
By all means, start some conversation. You get going, somebody is bound to join in.
Not Dead Yet
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oddball wrote:
By all means, start some conversation. You get going, somebody is bound to join in.
...as long as you don't do it in the "Random KS discussion" or "HBHC" threads. I tend not to read those at all. :-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Y'know what I'm nostalgic for? A time when I could look at Kenji and think, "Oh, hah hah, what a wacky guy, with his crazy conspiracy theories!" and not, "If only so many guys in real life didn't agree with this nuthole."
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Every time I show up here I have bittersweet flashbacks to my freshman year of college.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:Every time I show up here I have bittersweet flashbacks to my freshman year of college.
Every time you show up I have soft mushy flashbacks to the days when you showed up every day. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

emmjay wrote:Y'know what I'm nostalgic for? A time when I could look at Kenji and think, "Oh, hah hah, what a wacky guy, with his crazy conspiracy theories!" and not, "If only so many guys in real life didn't agree with this nuthole."
Oh god. Don't even think about that. D:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Every time I show up here I have bittersweet flashbacks to my freshman year of college.
Every time you show up I have soft mushy flashbacks to the days when you showed up every day. :)
Aw, thanks... I think that's something that happens with media in general though, and why things have slowed down here in part.

There's this lightning strike of inspiration after you view/read/play something, you're really excited about it for a time, sometimes even a long time, but then that dies down and you're left with a lingering memory. Otherwise, it becomes an unhealthy obsession, which is actually part of why I distanced myself a couple years back. I thoroughly enjoyed the VN and people who know me from here know I love Emi, but there's also a real life out there for me to live with real people in it and this can't take precedence over them. It's appealing as a thought sometimes to want to get lost in a fantasy, but that just can't carry a good life. Instead, the warmth of the memory comes and goes in waves, but it never really dies out since it was truly worthwhile as an experience, and if I had to guess, I'd say that people are generally in a "going" time. I don't think anyone who has been a regular here at any point in time will every really forget the VN or this place, (I think the continual production of fan art lends credit to this) and there's always time to return, in some sense.

Even without this particular forum, something tells me the same people would make contact again eventually, in some odd place or another like DeviantArt. Maybe there'd be a new meeting place, maybe not, but the connection would still be there in some way or another, even without any kind of conscious acknowledgement of it from anyone who has really taken the time to think about what this VN and its community have to offer.

This whole experience, of the VN itself and of the people who have felt its impact and of the works they've created... it has been sad and it has been sweet, like the scent of rain under a grey sky, or the taste of hot cocoa on a lonely night at a coffee shop.

/pseudoprofoundramblings
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

SpunkySix wrote:Even without this particular forum, something tells me the same people would make contact again eventually, in some odd place or another like DeviantArt.
In my experience, this is a tad overly optimistic. I've seen communities as tight as this fall away even with repeated attempts at keeping together.
Granted, this was earlier Internet days. I think Myspace was still big. Today, could probably manage with a decided effort.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Charmant wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Even without this particular forum, something tells me the same people would make contact again eventually, in some odd place or another like DeviantArt.
In my experience, this is a tad overly optimistic. I've seen communities as tight as this fall away even with repeated attempts at keeping together.
Granted, this was earlier Internet days. I think Myspace was still big. Today, could probably manage with a decided effort.
Well, I guess I don't mean EVERYONE, just that occasional years down the line, oh crap, I remember you! type moment.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

SpunkySix wrote:
Charmant wrote:
Well, I guess I don't mean EVERYONE, just that occasional years down the line, oh crap, I remember you! type moment.
Hopefully nobody here changes handles too often then. :P
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

I actually did manage to reconnect with Sea, so I don't think it's entirely a pipe dream.
Y'know what I'm nostalgic for? A time when I could look at Kenji and think, "Oh, hah hah, what a wacky guy, with his crazy conspiracy theories!" and not, "If only so many guys in real life didn't agree with this nuthole."
And this is the reason why I read all alt-right posts with the voice of Kenji from Millbee's let's play.
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
Richiter Bromont

Post by Richiter Bromont »

I'm nostalgic about picnics of the manly variety.
lovethedesigner1102

Post by lovethedesigner1102 »

HAY LAM...!