I don't want to do Rin's route

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AniJuegos

I don't want to do Rin's route

Post by AniJuegos »

I've completed each route of the girls (my favorites being Lily and Hanako's) but, Rin dosn'te really interests me. I think is do to the fact that I don't really like girls like Rin.

Should I still do her route or what? :?:
DapperDeer

Re: I don't want to do Rin's route

Post by DapperDeer »

Rin didn't interest me at first either. I thought she would be kind of boring, and probably my second to last favorite route. She ended up being my second only to Lilly.

I think that each girl has an unexpected amount of love to share with Hisao (and obviously you), which shouldn't be discounted from a first glance.
WillDfly

Post by WillDfly »

Yeah, Rin doesn't really appeal when you see her on the other routes, I only did her route before Lilly's by accident. But now she's my favorite character (together with Mutou). Definitely don't knock it 'till you try it. Like it or not, you'd be robbing yourself from a major experience.
If you won't risk the full experience, I talked about this in the book club, but the short Rin's Dream translates her nicely, if you don't mind the spoiling. Maybe having a taste of her character will get you to try her route, though I really recommend just going for it.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

The way Rin is portrayed in the other routes really isn't much like the way she's portrayed in her own. She comes off as a flaky extraterrestrial in the other routes, but in her own playthrough, she is much deeper and more tragic.

I'd give it a shot.
StalkR

Post by StalkR »

Rin isn't in my interest at first and I've done her route just because i didn't want to get the route after her as an option (again :lol: )
Though expectation is far from reality, at least from my POV
But really you should give it a try

here's a quote:
"There's nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so" -William Shakespeare
"You can forget someone you love, but never forget the love you had for someone"

Hey, check me out on Steam if you have time. Maybe we can play together sometime
http://steamcommunity.com/id/stalkingdog/

-StalkR... or someone
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

In my own personal opinion, I was expecting Rin's route to be the most amazing thing i'd ever witness. It had been built up to be this heart-wrenching tale of a girl who can't make sense of the world and finding where one's true feelings lie.
What I actually did was feel like i'd spent a day or two reading a story of a girl with no arms and cognitive problems. I loathe her.
Well, I don't loathe her, it's just more fun to.

Yeah, I don't like Rin. However, I will definitely recommend you read it, even if it is for completion's sake.
There are plenty of little inside jokes and memes that have sprouted from each route, and unfortunately Rin's no exception.

Man up, see what you think for yourself, and then you can join me in slandering her name 24/7.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

In my opinion, Rin's route is the best route from a technical standpoint of making VNs. All the different choices give you different aspects of the story, and sometimes to piece the whole thing together you need to take multiple routes, even if those choices don't effect the ending. The plethora of choices also reflects the rather baroque sensibility that informs the route.

In Rin's route we see some aspects of Yamaku that aren't touched on in the other routes, namely that it can be hella depressing. My memory is that Rin's route goes a lot deeper into Hisao's emotional state than other routes.

Rin's route takes some artistic themes and amplifies and explores them. The big theme is communication. If one is an abstract painter, or anything other than a Soviet-style realistic propagandists, one is trying to communication ... something ... at least a feeling ... through an averbal, invented language. How is this even possible? If it is clearly impossible, how come it happens all the time?

No really. Try to answer that question. How is it possible to communicate a feeling through an abstract, invented language? If you figure it out, you're got a good start on a PhD thesis.

So Rin's rather interesting communication style is actually picking up a theme that informs the whole arc.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Munchenhausen wrote: Man up, see what you think for yourself, and then you can join me in slandering her name 24/7.
You're a terrible, terrible person, Munch.

However, you draw such funny things, that I can't stay mad at you for long. :)
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Do it, you LBF.
bcmandude

Post by bcmandude »

In my opinion Rin's route is the most well-written and the most unique. Definitely my favourite. It's quite different from the others in tone, and ya Rin is an oddball. But i think she's a flawed but sympathetic oddball - All of the girls can be flawed at different points in their routes, but so is hisao as a character in pretty much every route. The only girl that really annoyed me with their flaws at any point was Emi when she was being stuck-up. People pick on Rin a lot as a character because she's eccentric in a very antisocial way, but ultimately the game shows you that she's a person like the rest of us.
100% completion!
Finished Routes (in order of completion): Rin, Hanako, Shizune, Emi, Lilly
Dannflor

Post by Dannflor »

I'm biased. However, I think Rin's route is the most well written one. Even if you don't quite like the character, the writing is superb. I'd give a try.
Rin > Lilly > Hanako > Shizune > Emi

Kenji's Destiny - A One-Shot
ComeWhatMay

Post by ComeWhatMay »

I'll post from the perspective of someone who didn't think he would like the route... and ended up completely correct.

Rin's route, while having a personally unlikable main character, is in my opinion the most impressive when it comes to writing, character interactions, and construction of compelling choices with VN mechanics. I have no problem admitting that I plunged straight into the bad ending without a moments hesitation, because I frankly can't be arsed to deal with that sort of roundabout mentality. I feel like Hisao and Rin communicated just slightly worse than a sledgehammer communicates with a cinder block, I just don't think that way. Still, it's a good route and a good story, I just had to disconnect myself from the main character to enjoy it.

And besides, 100% completion gets you a pretty picture. Who doesn't like pretty pictures?
Come What May - Cliché No matter what might happen.

Currently writing Can You Accept Your Fate? Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route. 34,000 words and counting.

Oh you wear your facade so well, covered up in your plastic shell