Rin and autism

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Rin and autism

Post by brythain »

This is part of why people in the UK don't want to use DSM-V.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Linkarena

Post by Linkarena »

I've just realised I've failed to give my opinion on the matter, just attempted to clarify what PDD-NOS is. Well, here goes.

In my opinion: it doesn't matter. We can associate whatever mental disorder we like with Rin's behaviour, but that doesn't change the fact that she's just... Rin. Rin is Rin, and there's no need to label Rin with anything other than... Rin.
I can't really choose a favourite. Probably Hanako. But then who's second?! Rin? Shizune? Lilly? Emi? I can't. I just can't.
Also, little fact: I cry REALLY easily when it comes to entertainment. KS? Got me a few times. Most anime with even a slight amount of sadness? The tears will flooooow.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Linkarena wrote:I've just realised I've failed to give my opinion on the matter, just attempted to clarify what PDD-NOS is. Well, here goes.

In my opinion: it doesn't matter. We can associate whatever mental disorder we like with Rin's behaviour, but that doesn't change the fact that she's just... Rin. Rin is Rin, and there's no need to label Rin with anything other than... Rin.
You never what the fuck "PDD-NOS" is. When I see an acronym like that I don't think autism. So can you please say what the hell "PDD-NOS" even means?
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Linkarena

Post by Linkarena »

Steinherz wrote:You never what the fuck "PDD-NOS" is. When I see an acronym like that I don't think autism. So can you please say what the hell "PDD-NOS" even means?
PDD-NOS means "pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified". I don't see how the actual term will help you though, and I've already tried to explain what it is. So, whatever, sorry mate.
EDIT: Just realised I'd ALSO said everything in this post previously. Did you even read the earlier posts on the thread?
I can't really choose a favourite. Probably Hanako. But then who's second?! Rin? Shizune? Lilly? Emi? I can't. I just can't.
Also, little fact: I cry REALLY easily when it comes to entertainment. KS? Got me a few times. Most anime with even a slight amount of sadness? The tears will flooooow.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I feel defining her exact problem and blaming it on a mental illness of any kind actually does a disservice to the character. At that point you're saying, "She's weird because..." rather than accepting that she is just who she is.
Not Dead Yet
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Disclaimer: Not the original creator of her route, nor am I aware of any comments made by the author about her regarding this matter.

I almost feel like that was the point of her route, really. Acceptance, both of yourself and what she is, is a theme all throughout KS, but in Rin's route especially.Most of Hisao's missteps (if I remember correctly) come from trying to put Rin into a box or label her. Most of the choices that move you closer to her GE are you accepting who you are, and who she is, even in absence of understanding the root causes. This is the point of the scene in which you speak to Mutou earlier in the game, and several scenes throughout the various routes call to this. Hisao's awkwardness with Lilly and him discussing how something looks.

Perhaps, of course, I am looking too deeply into the issue. But, that said, I agree with Oddball. There is no understanding Rin. Down that path lies madness.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Oddball wrote:
I feel defining her exact problem and blaming it on a mental illness of any kind actually does a disservice to the character. At that point you're saying, "She's weird because..." rather than accepting that she is just who she is.
Broomhead wrote:I almost feel like that was the point of her route, really. [...]
Perhaps, of course, I am looking too deeply into the issue. But, that said, I agree with Oddball. There is no understanding Rin. Down that path lies madness.
This may explain why I didn't like her :P I can't stand it when things don't have definitive explanations or labels :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Linkarena

Post by Linkarena »

Munchenhausen wrote:This may explain why I didn't like her :P I can't stand it when things don't have definitive explanations or labels :lol:
Which is exactly the problem that causes Hisao to be such an ass in her route.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Munchenhausen wrote:This may explain why I didn't like her :P I can't stand it when things don't have definitive explanations or labels :lol:
Maybe you should become a science teac- Oh. Right.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Oddball wrote:I feel defining her exact problem and blaming it on a mental illness of any kind actually does a disservice to the character. At that point you're saying, "She's weird because..." rather than accepting that she is just who she is.
This is wisdom.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Broomhead wrote:
Alas, the forklift has me now.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Guys, Rin's medical problem isn't autism. It's that she's missing arms.

I know, I know, I'm a genius. No need to thank me for clearing that up.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Munchenhausen wrote:
Broomhead wrote:
Alas, the forklift has me now.
It's all right, you're still a heavy lifter.
Mythic

Post by Mythic »

I didnt intend for what I said to cause so much controversy. The reason I said Rin definitely has PDD-NOS is because despite the fact that she has a lot of Autistic traits, she is an individual and cant be fitted into this mold of "Autistic". If you want to know more about what else she might have, look up Caetextia. Because to me, she has a more right brained type of Caetexia.
Vidi, vici, veni.
Linkarena

Post by Linkarena »

Mythic wrote:Because to me, she has a more right brained type of Caetexia.
To me, she is Rin. I'm just going to stick by my argument that Rin is Rin and that labeling her completely defeats the purpose of her character and her route.