The problem with Shizune

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: The problem with Shizune

Post by brythain »

Liminaut wrote:Shizune has a demonstrated habit of falsifying financial reports and playing fast and loose with discretionary funds. These habits bode rather poorly for a future incarceration-free lifestyle.

A note about philanthropy: if one person is directing the money, then that one person can be controlling the action and making all the decisions. (More effective philanthropists find a good organization and trust people there to do the work.) Philanthropy can then becomes a simultaneous exercise in egotism and sanctimony, albeit with a good end. It's been seen a lot in the tech industry; people make a mint by getting lucky and then thinking they know everything. If her performance with the Student Council is any indication, any philanthropy Shizune works with may suddenly have a very high turnover rate.
"Demonstrated habit"... :D ... this one belongs in the headcanon thread, methinks.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

brythain wrote:
Liminaut wrote:Shizune has a demonstrated habit of falsifying financial reports and playing fast and loose with discretionary funds. These habits bode rather poorly for a future incarceration-free lifestyle.
"Demonstrated habit"... :D ... this one belongs in the headcanon thread, methinks.
Nope, Misha says so straight out. This is the scene where Hisao is helping Misha and Shizune organize the post-festival receipts. Hisao is complaining about how much work it is. Misha agrees, and says they usually just make something up.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Liminaut wrote:
brythain wrote:
Nope, Misha says so straight out. This is the scene where Hisao is helping Misha and Shizune organize the post-festival receipts. Hisao is complaining about how much work it is. Misha agrees, and says they usually just make something up.
I can't remember the scene off the top of my head, mind quotting it directly?

The report itself, I can clarify.

before the festival, it is common practice for all who's willing to participate (classes, clubs, etc) to forward their proposal to the SC, telling them whether or not they require extra funds borrowed from the school or use their own (this is the argument she had with Lilly early on). The post-festival receipt is often a report by the leaders of each stand which are to be submitted to the SC for evaluation (especially those who borrowed money from the school)--the task of confirming all of this falls to the accountant/treasurer. This is to be forwarded--with the SC president's inkan stamped on it--to the board of directors.

Which Shizune's SC severely lacks.

As I said, a two-man student council is impossible to be ran effectively and efficiently--a three-man, that's pushing it.

Then again, that line was said by Misha--and we know that most of Misha's line and translations needs to be taken with a grain of salt since--the majority of the time--Shizune is the one who handles the entire affairs as Misha pops in once in a while, as evident later in ACTIII-IV. 'Make something up'...? Yeeaah more like tossing it to Shizune for her to handle. Shizune doesn't look like the type that would go beyond breaking rules. Bending them, that I can see--breaking? Far from it.

Second, I like prof. All's analogy of the SC. It's not overdramatization, as that is what it is--a 'mock' student government that functions as a bridge between the teacher and the students. They're as real as it gets, and Shizune's sentiment against Lilly is understandable (Lilly did the same thing again at the ending of her route. She learnt nothing from it).
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

@$&*(@$%^&@($ I'm not finding the scene -- at least not immediately.

I can remember the thing clearly. Hisao gets drafted to help the SC right after the festival, SHizune spells out the work while Shizune gets dinner, Hisao and Misha sort the receipts into piles, Shizune comes back and scatters the piles, Misha laughs and explains that they usually just make up stuff anyway.

I'll keep looking. It would be really embarrassing if I had just made it up :lol:
brythain

Post by brythain »

Liminaut wrote:
brythain wrote:
Ha, what is it they make up, and does it constitute 'falsifying financial reports'? Or 'playing fast and loose with discretionary funds'? :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
brythain

Post by brythain »

Liminaut wrote:@$&*(@$%^&@($ I'm not finding the scene -- at least not immediately.

I can remember the thing clearly. Hisao gets drafted to help the SC right after the festival, SHizune spells out the work while Shizune gets dinner, Hisao and Misha sort the receipts into piles, Shizune comes back and scatters the piles, Misha laughs and explains that they usually just make up stuff anyway.

I'll keep looking. It would be really embarrassing if I had just made it up :lol:
:D No, it's in Hanako's Act 2 where Hisao gets stuck in there helping them:
Misha: Thanks for helping today. Most of the time we just make up the reports for the staff. This year we can at least make up some relevant headings on the debrief."

Hisao: "Are you sure this isn't a corrupt organization?"

M: "Not at all, not at all. We're by the book. It's not our fault if the book isn't specific enough."

H: "I thought that was the definition of corruption…"
However, the context is that Misha's been joking around while Shizune's been getting dinner using the surplus funds. It's Misha who slides all the stacks to one side to make way for the food. Also, she says, "No, I think we got a lot done. Shicchan will be able to work out the rest from here," earlier on, when they've set up all the stacks. These are stacks of financial and incident reports etc. and Hisao notes during the conversation with Misha (which is mostly gossip and Misha dismissing stuff unrelated to Hanako), "It's almost as if Misha's common sense left the room with Shizune."

My take on that was Misha didn't know what she was talking about, or couldn't be bothered with the details. Shizune's the one who does the work and she seems serious about it. And no, she doesn't falsify any financial reports, nor does she (technically, at the very least) play fast and loose with the discretionary funds. :)
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

I wouldnt say I hate any of the characters. They are all great in their own way. I guess the more accurate thing for me to say would be that Shizune is my least favorite. All of them are very cute, very dateable IMHO. I just have ones I would chose over her if I had the choice.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

My take on that was Misha didn't know what she was talking about, or couldn't be bothered with the details. Shizune's the one who does the work and she seems serious about it. And no, she doesn't falsify any financial reports, nor does she (technically, at the very least) play fast and loose with the discretionary funds. :)
That's your take on it. My take was is was another one of those instances where Misha said more than she should have.
Not Dead Yet
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

On such financial stuff, it isn't uncommon to be loose and get away with it, as long as the sums involved are small. Do what you want, but don't get caught, cos when you do, it will not be pretty. Yuko Obuchi, daughter of the late PM Obuchi, stepped down from her post after she was alleged to have misused funds from her political support groups and other donations.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Mu Nova

Post by Mu Nova »

I certainly don't hate Shizune, but the only route I enjoyed less than hers was Rin's. Like many others, I felt little connection between her and Hisao... Though I think, hers being the last I played, I had something of a biased perspective. Things are much more subtle with Shizune, and I think I could better appreciate that on a second viewing.

Anyway, even if I take much issue with how aggressive and competitive she is, I do like her well enough as a character, especially once she opens up a bit. And I do like her route, as well, but again, I enjoyed the other routes and characters more... Save for Rin. That was just frustrating (though at no fault of her own, of course!).

Also, since I have nothing else to contribute: I don't mind the lack of player agency and whatnot in Shizune's route at all. As a game, it would be disappointing to have only the one choice, yes, but it's the story I care about most. Not my control over it. 8)
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Mu Nova wrote:I certainly don't hate Shizune, but the only route I enjoyed less than hers was Rin's. Like many others, I felt little connection between her and Hisao... Though I think, hers being the last I played, I had something of a biased perspective. Things are much more subtle with Shizune, and I think I could better appreciate that on a second viewing.

Anyway, even if I take much issue with how aggressive and competitive she is, I do like her well enough as a character, especially once she opens up a bit. And I do like her route, as well, but again, I enjoyed the other routes and characters more... Save for Rin. That was just frustrating (though at no fault of her own, of course!).

Also, since I have nothing else to contribute: I don't mind the lack of player agency and whatnot in Shizune's route at all. As a game, it would be disappointing to have only the one choice, yes, but it's the story I care about most. Not my control over it. 8)
I think that's because there was little connection between them. Communication aside, Shizune seems to keep relatively detached from things.
Mutty99

Post by Mutty99 »

Here i've explained my opinion in detail.

I like her really much as a character, i can't say the same about her route.