Curiosity killed the cat and me soon im sure.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ryusashi

Curiosity killed the cat and me soon im sure.

Post by Ryusashi »

I'll be honest: i hadnt even heard of Katawa Shoujo until about a week ago. After seeing a video on youtube, I decided to pick it up. Its an amazing read, and very interesting characters. My curiosity is more along the lines of why/why nots. Why did the idea that grew in 4chan become a reality that has touched so many lives and feelings alike? How many people were in the beginning and final team?
I'm (though from what I've read I shouldn't be) surprised you guys have flat out said you wouldn't work on a prequel or a sequel. I know this was a big thing to work on (coordinating and such), but since you did KS, wouldn't that knowledge of how to coordinate be easier? Why not make a Sidquel (or whatever is a story that runs along side the first) that has a character thats been there a year and aloof in his getting used to the school, and has now opened up to some people thats been hanging around him for awhile (like miki and the art girl in rins art group, stuff like that) and have him introduce them. Miki: "Hey (insert the name here)! Flirting again?" Guy: "Naw. You're always too busy. Besides, I'm suprised you haven't begged for my lovely self to come to practice more. Ohhhh is that what you were asking the new kid to do? Trying to replace me?" 'Miki has always been the girl you can get along with without even having to try. She, quite literally, has been my saving grace since coming to school.' It would allow you to build upon the characters you didnt date, and also enable you to make cameo references to the first and it wouldnt be story changing (and also explains why you couldnt get with miki if she already has a man). Just a thought.
Next question is rather stupid (or might not be. idk. this is the first VN ive ever read): How did you come up with the characters and their matching personalities? I'm honestly loving all the girls in this vn. I know each writers has their own inspiration, and as a budding writer I like to see how others have gotten theirs. Also, did you make plans on certain events or did you just go with the flow? I myself am on of those that makes a character and their personality, then making events, and then writing the story. Is that the approach you guys took when you made this?
I'm also curious: have you ever given thought to how popular the game became with memes? I saw a meme with Hitler having flash backs of the game lol. "Yes, with their lemons fields burned, the british will be fucked in the ass." and at the end "now bring me some french vanilla tea."
And final question, I know it took awhile, but how did you all feel when you uploaded the final game?
Sorry for the wall of text. I guess i can simplify here at the end:
1) How did you all find each other and make the game?
2) Why not do a sidequel so you can expand the characters that didnt get much face time (and let us date dat smexy Miki)?
3) How did you create the characters and how did you create the games story/events?
4) Did you expect it to become popular with the memes?
and 5) how did you all feel at the end?
"In order to understand, you must first understand how to understand. You can't know without knowing how you know. Same principle."
"Think about this; if I give you a lemon, is that life giving you lemons? Yes because I'm alive. But imagine what you can create with what life gives you. Now you have a weapon to shoot into peoples eyes, or make lemonade." Random quotes ive made
SpunkySix

Re: Curiosity killed the cat and me soon im sure.

Post by SpunkySix »

You'll find all this and more in the stickied 'Ask!' thread. Beforex then, look at this and arm yourself with general rule-based knowledge:

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4716

Lastly, welcome to the forums.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Ryusashi

Post by Ryusashi »

I..... didnt see the search this topic link until I looked harder. Glad I didnt have to dig through 286 pages. I found a few of the inspirations they drew on, but not how they created the arcs. Did they start off with making the char and then going off of random writing or did they plan a route, and then start filling the gaps?
And no sequal because dont want to feel limited/making an after arc type. Makes sense. I still think itd be cool to have a side story like the short one I made. It wouldn't be much, as you already have every asset for backgrounds except the characters and sprites, characters room and any additional areas like a pool and a concert hall. And i can understand not wanting a fan to write it as, like they said, it wouldnt be a seperate story.
What advice can you give a budding writer? I cant seem to stay focused on the story. I always make the chars first so I have a good idea of a story to write, but I just cant seem to force myself to stick to my 'scripted' events that I want to make sure happen.
"In order to understand, you must first understand how to understand. You can't know without knowing how you know. Same principle."
"Think about this; if I give you a lemon, is that life giving you lemons? Yes because I'm alive. But imagine what you can create with what life gives you. Now you have a weapon to shoot into peoples eyes, or make lemonade." Random quotes ive made
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Some writers feel as if they don't write, they simply create characters and settings, allowing the story to write itself.

If sticking to planned events is difficult, then let the story take you where it will. Then, if you can, find a way to fit your planned events into the story.

I'm not much of a writer, and I don't write fanfiction (yet) but I've found that writing works best if you "live day to day" which basically means you wing it for the most part, but you have some (hopefully fluid) ideas about the future.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Hi! Welcome to the forums! There's a useful thread for would-be fanfic authors here. Enjoy! :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Ryusashi

Post by Ryusashi »

BMFJack wrote:Some writers feel as if they don't write, they simply create characters and settings, allowing the story to write itself.

If sticking to planned events is difficult, then let the story take you where it will. Then, if you can, find a way to fit your planned events into the story.

I'm not much of a writer, and I don't write fanfiction (yet) but I've found that writing works best if you "live day to day" which basically means you wing it for the most part, but you have some (hopefully fluid) ideas about the future.
That... makes too much sense tbh. I tend to forget what events I had planned and it tends to mess me up when ive left it out and its one that changes the story (my main problem is I tend to write action adventures, so ive made a few towns and events to occur there. Imagine the frustration of having to rewrite things (unfortunately I tend to come up with ideas during work and I used to be able to write at work, but new job new rules kinda thing). Ive never have thought of trying to keep the story in one area. Thanks!
brythain wrote:Hi! Welcome to the forums! There's a useful thread for would-be fanfic authors here. Enjoy! :)
I read through the tips and it seems to make sense. I tend to write script style when I do so it works out. Thanks for the link!
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Ryusashi wrote:That... makes too much sense tbh.
Thanks =D
Ryusashi wrote:I tend to forget what events I had planned and it tends to mess me up when ive left it out and its one that changes the story (my main problem is I tend to write action adventures, so ive made a few towns and events to occur there.
If you forget about it, then it wasn't important enough. At least that's the way I look at it :wink:
Ryusashi wrote:Imagine the frustration of having to rewrite things
Unfortunately I sincerely believe this to be the single most painful curse of the writer. I think that writers in general re-write things quite often until they're finished. It's a refining process; try not to see it as a bad thing. Every time I'm faced with any kind of re-write I look at it as an opportunity to improve the quality of the section that I'm re-writing.

Anywhooo~ I forgot to mention; Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay =D
Ryusashi

Post by Ryusashi »

BMFJack wrote:
Unfortunately I sincerely believe this to be the single most painful curse of the writer. I think that writers in general re-write things quite often until they're finished. It's a refining process; try not to see it as a bad thing. Every time I'm faced with any kind of re-write I look at it as an opportunity to improve the quality of the section that I'm re-writing.

Anywhooo~ I forgot to mention; Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay =D
yea, I just cant keep motivation if I have to rewrite after it was perfect. Maybe I get too attached whem writing, but I can try to change that to "oh well. I can fix what might not have worked."
thanks for all the welcomes!