KS could be EASILY turned into a 4K remake [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!]

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DerailedOmegaMale

Re: KS could be EASILY turned into a 4K remake [CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!]

Post by DerailedOmegaMale »

Just finished implementing the first version and made a video that shows off the results. First I will send a private message with a secret URL of the video to Silentcook. I will share the URL of the video here as well after I get his confirmation that I will not be eaten alive for sharing it here.
Be excited to see it, but don't set your expectations TO high.
DerailedOmegaMale

Nope, it sounded like he didn't want the video to be published.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Do it and finally bring it to Steam dagnabbit for the love of everything that is holy and unholy

Edit: HOLY HECK, it's available even on JAST's store apparently, somehow.
DerailedOmegaMale

Silentcook made it very clear to me that my assistance is unwelcome and that I am VERY close to getting banned (or worse). So I will no longer publish anything with the potential of violating the KS copyrights.

(I think there was a misunderstanding and I might have given him the wrong impression that I made a KS mod. I should have made it more obvious that it is not a KS mod. However it is to late to fix that misunderstanding and now I have to stop, because my *** is at stake.)

Time has passed since then and I learned a few things and realized some of my mistakes.

If you are looking for a good way to play KS on new monitors then the best approach (which does not violate any copyrights) I can currently recommend is running the regular unmodified KS in window mode and using the cheap Steam app "Lossless Scaling" with the configuration "Scaling Type: Anime4K, Size: Ultra Large". The app is 100% unrelated to KS the same way as trains are 100% unrelated to onions.
Last edited by DerailedOmegaMale on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

That kind of creative restriction comes across to me as unnecessarily mean spirited tbh. Almost reminiscent of what nintendo is, which I hate to my very core. But I still respect KS for the reason that it was free and that not only it's one of the best things ever, but it's a monument of passion and love too.
DerailedOmegaMale

Even though I am somewhat frustrated by the mod-paranoia of 4LS, I do not hate them for that.
They made a game for us and they did it for free. If 4LS wants to be left alone by people complaining about broken mods that 4LS was never responsible for in the first place then so be it. It's their right from both moral and legal perspective.

Apparently the mods simply have to chase all the annoying fans (myself included) off with sticks in order to not waste to much of their time with something they do not get paid for. I just wish there would be less "shoot first, ask questions later". I wish it, but i do not demanding it, because I understand the situation.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Tbh no one would nor should hold 4LS accountable for any fan creation, and even if someone dumb enough did that, there's no need for anyone to answer. That's my simple opinion on it.
Grayest

Post by Grayest »

Late reply, but KS mods and fangames are now allowed in case you haven't read the update on the FAQ
What if the real 'Best girl' was the friends we made along the way?
DerailedOmegaMale

Grayest wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:37 pm Late reply, but KS mods and fangames are now allowed in case you haven't read the update on the FAQ
Obsolete information. Read the FAQ again.
DerailedOmegaMale

Before I leave and forget about the existence of this topic:

I'm not doing anything related to this anymore and currently do not have any related plans for the future. But who knows, maybe someone else is interested regarding making something like this a reality, since the rules regarding derivative works have changed. So for now I'd like to conclude, just to make sure that everything important was communicated:

I also tested out waifu2x neural network up-scaling approach. Waifu2x seemed to be more true to the original, but it produced outlines that were less sharp. RealESRGAN produced cleaner, sharper outlines, but sometimes it messes things up. It's less true to the original in other words. So the optimal solution will probably be a combination of both waifu2x and RealESRGAN (by means of masking explained earlier in this topic) in order to get the advantages of both. Maybe it is also worth it to make a very few exceptions and redraw some details by hand and/or use a more dumb up-scaling approach like DCCI wherever necessary.