Who was your first Katawa Shoujo Girl?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OtakuNinja

Re: Who was your first Katawa Shoujo Girl?

Post by OtakuNinja »

apackofbadgers wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:45 pm First time I played I was 'honest' with myself and got Kenji.
Ayyy Kenji Squad :lol: I got him too when I did an honest "9 years later" replay of the game this year
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

apackofbadgers wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:45 pm I was so deep in the 'she is too shy to go outside' mindset that I didn't even check the guide and chose to stay inside.
Good.

Playing the game with a guide to tell you what choices to pick takes away all the fun.
Not Dead Yet
notnotguest

Post by notnotguest »

Ironically, I managed to get all the good endings of the actual routes on the first try (without a guide) with the exception of Rin's.

For Lilly, I tried to just play honestly (i.e. as I would normally answer), but luckily, I'm an honest person and her route requires you to be honest.
Iceconsciousness

Post by Iceconsciousness »

notnotguest wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:48 pm For Lilly, I tried to just play honestly (i.e. as I would normally answer), but luckily, I'm an honest person and her route requires you to be honest.
I remember discovering that, after getting Lilly's neutral ending, I had made only one incorrect choice that landed me there. It would have saved me the heartbreak if I had only chosen differently there, but of course I didn't know at the time. However, I suppose it's better to have gotten the neutral ending first so I could experience the much better good ending last and finish her route on a high note.

As for the others, I don't remember having trouble with them, save for a few choices on Rin's route, perhaps.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Iceconsciousness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:49 pm As for the others, I don't remember having trouble with them, save for a few choices on Rin's route, perhaps.
Meanwhile I failed at Shizune's route :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
orian34

Post by orian34 »

The first time I fell into the newbie trap and got Emi.
Then the second time, I went and ended up doing Rin's route to the end.
I didn't understand why people said her choices were so confusing, until I later saw the paths. I was just glad I managed to feel it out, that was when my life changed.
Aura wrote:I rather do something I actually like on my free time, even if it means I lose the opportunity to financially exploit my fans.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

orian34 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 pm The first time I fell into the newbie trap and got Emi.
Then the second time, I went and ended up doing Rin's route to the end.
I didn't understand why people said her choices were so confusing, until I later saw the paths. I was just glad I managed to feel it out, that was when my life changed.
Yeah, to get Rin blind you kinda have to be indecisive and non-committal, which carries over well into her route considering Hisao's mind.

By the by, I never got how so many people got caught by the 'Comfort' choice in Shizune's route. Always felt it pretty natural what it implied. When I came to it I was surprised the game would give me such a clear 'this is a bad idea' choice.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
DawnCloud

Post by DawnCloud »

for my first run I also just went with whatever choices I felt I'd make in that situation, and ended up with Emi as well.

while Lilly ended up being my favourite girl, and my favourite route, I feel like in a real life scenario Emi would probably be a better, healthier relationship for me. the way I see it, Lilly is like the fairytale romance, while Emi is the slightly more 'realistic' option (but good nonetheless, she is still my second favourite!)
notnotguest

Post by notnotguest »

ArcCain wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:09 pm By the by, I never got how so many people got caught by the 'Comfort' choice in Shizune's route. Always felt it pretty natural what it implied. When I came to it I was surprised the game would give me such a clear 'this is a bad idea' choice.

Perhaps some people did not want to understand.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

notnotguest wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 am
ArcCain wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:09 pm By the by, I never got how so many people got caught by the 'Comfort' choice in Shizune's route. Always felt it pretty natural what it implied. When I came to it I was surprised the game would give me such a clear 'this is a bad idea' choice.

Perhaps some people did not want to understand.
Maybe, maybe.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Decaying_Orbital

Post by Decaying_Orbital »

For myself like many others have already stated I ended up with Emi and the her routes good ending. It really does pay to take advice from others during her route.

I very much enjoyed Emi's routes even her "bad ending" I felt was impactful. I think she's the type of person that I'd want to be involved with, but I've never found anyone like that. I also really enjoy Shizune as well, granted at first glance it was mostly due to her design, as I totally blame my "meganekko" aka Glasses Girl preference for that initial reaction. Once I played all the various characters routes I found different qualities in each of them I like, however none quite match the appeal that Emi and Shizune bring to the table for myself.
gwyngelli

Post by gwyngelli »

From the moment that Emi ran into me in the hallway, I knew she was the girl I wanted. Love at first sight you might say. Not just her appearance, but her fun personality. The first opportunity that came to me that I thought would lock her in, I took it. I was so happy that my decision worked. As the reader, I fell in love with her just the same as Hisao. I was so happy that I made all the right decisions to get the happy ending without ever backing up to change any of them. I was very moved by the story.
At the end, I was so happy that everything worked out after all the drama. At the same time, I felt sad. I felt sad because the story was over, and that it was just that. Just a story and not real.
I'm enjoying KS. Have not played all through just yet. I'm on my third girl now, but Emi will always be the girl for me.
Sparky99

Post by Sparky99 »

Lightman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 am So, who was your first girl? And did you think she was a good match for your own personallity?
Newbie here.
Naturally went with Emi's route blindly because I figured:
If you have to exercise, having a partner would be a good idea.
Little did I know it would mean both in a romantic sense and ideological
For how stubborn she can be and determined to continue running really rubbed off on me a lot.
And when Hisao reconciled with Emi after the fight, eventually her accepting him past one of her barriers made me crack a wide grin.

As for a good match with my personality, realistically speaking I know she could help out a lot but I'd probably fuck things up easily.
Taihennami

Post by Taihennami »

I actually came into the game looking at a guide, but deliberately taking as many of the choices as possible that didn't appear in the guide, or which were used least often, in Act 1. This ended up setting none whatsoever of the Lilly/Hanako or Shizune/Misha flags, then sending me to exercise with Emi but chickening out of it. Hence I ended up with Rin (since I also chickened out of giving Nomiya-sensei the contrarian answers which would have sent me to the rooftop with Kenji), and that actually worked out pretty well for me. If I'd gone with more honest choices the first time, I'd probably have had Hanako instead, and that's also a good line.

Throughout the process I was paying attention to whether the choices I was being given, and the outcomes from those choices, made sense in the context of what I'd been told by the game up to the point. In general, they actually do, though there are notable exceptions in Act 2 onwards. All you have to do is think of the girls as actual people and make your decisions on that basis.

For example, it should be plainly obvious from Tuesday evening onwards that Lilly and Hanako are very close friends with at least some personality traits in common, and that many of the choices will therefore affect them both the same way. If you do something nice (or at least avoid doing something annoying) for Hanako, Lilly will appreciate that, and if you back Lilly up when she needs it, that will help you get into Hanako's good books as well. This even applies to choices you make when the girl in question isn't actually present; these choices have an effect on Hisao's mindset, opening or blocking certain courses of action in the future. Eg. if you came on too strong to Hanako in the library, you might still be able to salvage the situation by acknowledging that her reaction was rather cute when the subject comes up with Kenji. Kenji doesn't care either way, but Hisao does!

It always amuses me when people characterise Rin's path as "confusing", because all the important choices are very clearly signposted by Rin herself, complete with an unambiguous indication of which answer she wants to hear. This is even true of the point where Nomiya asks Hisao's opinion about Rin's exhibition project. I looked at the three options and had the general impression that none of them were really the right answer - and that actually turns out to be the case, as all of them just kickstart the main plot, with only a small deviation in the storyline later on. It's an important choice, to be sure, but it's one that Hisao is incapable of answering correctly at that stage of his relationship with Rin. The only two decisions that actually affect which ending you get are also very clearly signposted, and this time Hisao always has at least one answer to give that is good enough.

With a girl that clearly has trouble communicating clearly, as Rin does, the crucial thing is to actually pay attention to what she does say. Especially when she takes a moment to pause and think about how to phrase it properly. If you take the trouble to do that, you really can't go far wrong with Rin.

If you want a girl who actually is confusing and counter-intuitive to deal with, that would be Hanako. And yes, she's deliberately written that way.
Grayest

Post by Grayest »

My first KS girl was Lilly. I found KS through fanart of her, subsequently watching several Youtube videos about KS, listening to the OST, stalking the r/KS and the renai, eventually playing it a half a year after discovering it.

Unfortunately, one major plot element of her route was spoiled to me, which did ruin some of the experience. But thats on me for doing everything but playing it for 6 months.

I was a pretty cringey Lilly simp for awhile. Nowadays, I don't really have a favorite per say. I would give a lot to do a truly blind playthrough of her route, and pretty much all of KS to be honest.
What if the real 'Best girl' was the friends we made along the way?