Painless, Scarred and the Broken Heart (Updated 12/13)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Miyam

Re: Painless, Scarred and the Broken Heart (Updated 3/4)

Post by Miyam »

Hisao managed to keep eye contact with me even though I had forgotten to put my shirt on.
Why should that take self-control?
Now, if Gustav were a girl, the feat would be much more noteworthy...
Mostly this reason.
Are you referring to the man's incredible abs?

On a more serious note, this is a rather well written piece of fanfiction, especially considering that it has introduced a number of OCs. I hope that you can keep it up from here on out.
Steinherz

Re: Painless, Scarred and the Broken Heart (Updated 3/4)

Post by Steinherz »

Miyam wrote:
Hisao managed to keep eye contact with me even though I had forgotten to put my shirt on.
Why should that take self-control?
Now, if Gustav were a girl, the feat would be much more noteworthy...
Mostly this reason.
Are you referring to the man's incredible abs?

On a more serious note, this is a rather well written piece of fanfiction, especially considering that it has introduced a number of OCs. I hope that you can keep it up from here on out.
Actually one, yes. Yes I am. Two: Because I'm lazy as hell (and lack a good image program like Photoshop) Gustav is supposed to be about as scarred torso-wise as Hanako (if a bit more-so, since his scarring extends to the opposite on his chest/back).

And these two are just the tip of the iceberg :lol: . Thank you for your comments :)
Lunacore wrote:Wait.. You got another fanfic too? I should check that out. x3
Yes, yes I do :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Steinherz

Re: Painless, Scarred and the Broken Heart (Updated 5/19)

Post by Steinherz »

*Note: Holy shit, this is update took a long time to post. Also, I'm trying something new. For multiple dialogues (like what appears in the beginning of this chapter) I'll colour a character's dialogue differently. For this, Gustav is Dark Red, Hayato is Dark Blue and Hisao is of course Green. If that style gets bad reviews, I'll change it back to the regular style. :lol: I need to stop procrastinating when it comes to posting something that's been done for THREE WEEKS.

Scene 7: Meet on Monday (Hayato)

It’s down to just me and him. I’ve only got the clip in my gun left and one extra, then I’m dry of ammo for all my guns. Don’t know how much he has left. Man against Monster. I see him come out of cover and open fire. He runs into a building and I move from cover and follow him. I hear the beeping of a grenade and I roll out of the way before it explodes and kills me. It detonates harmlessly creating a bit of smoke. I charge into the room. I hear the whirring of the chainsaw. Too late, it’s in my chest.
Everything goes red. I lose.

I turn to Hisao and stare at him.

God damn it! How is it I show you this game and you’re already as good as me?

I dunno, it’s not that hard.

As soon as Hisao says this for the first time in a while I hear the low, bass voice of Gustav make a comment.
Perhaps you’re not as good as you think you are Hayato.

Shut it Gustav.

Surprisingly he actually does so, but not before making one more comment.
I’m just pointing a potential reason out. It’s either that, or Hisao can pick up the controls easily.

Hisao shrugs.
I’ve played a few games like this before. I’m not the worst at it.

I snort a little bit and respond back to him.
You’re damn good is what you are.

He nods slightly.
I suppose you have a point. Just next time you take me into the campaign, warn me when something is going to jump out at us? I’d rather not have a heart attack over something stupid like that.

For the first time in a while I hear Gustav of all people snicker. I turn and look at him in shock. He looks at us, tilting his book down slightly and decides to add his comment on our little endeavor.
Yes, a heart attack from a Wretch jumping out at you is bad.

I nod a bit, looking up at him.
You got a point there man.

Shaking my head I turn back to Hisao.
So do you want to go again on the hardest difficulty now?

He blinks and chuckles nervously.
Uhh, you’re funny. I was having issues with normal mode. What’s the hardest difficulty?

I grin widely at him.
Insane.

No, I mean what is it’s difficulty?
I smirk and give a bit more emphasis.
Insane.

That’s the name of the difficulty?

Yes.

Something tells me I don’t want to do it. But I kind of want to anyway.

I smile a bit more.
That’s the spirit Hisao.

The rest of the Sunday went the same way as it was going earlier. Eventually Hisao said he felt like turning in for the night, though I think it might have had something to do with the fact that the Berserker kept running his ass over on that one level. Yeah, I think it had to do with that. He seemed to be getting pretty annoyed with it. Someone rage-quit, and his name is Hisao. I grin a little bit. He picked up the controls pretty quickly even though he said he hasn’t played Gears before. After Gustav left I lay down on my bed and close my eyes. Wonder what’s going to happen tomorrow?

Sitting in class, I realize something. I’m really, really, really bored. At least at our old school Gustav and I had some people to screw around with after class. Never thought I’d say this, but I miss most of them. Especially Tamotsu and Tatsuko. The twins kept things interesting. Speaking of which, I wonder what him and Balloon-Tits are up to. God, she hated it when people called her that. Well, I’m not saying it, I’m thinking it. Although since her brother is one of my best friends for his sake, I’ve mostly stopped calling her that.

Eventually classes finish for the day and the crowd of people shuffles out. I get almost the entire way back to my room before I realize that I’m missing my book bag. Sighing, I turn around and walk my way back to the classroom. How the hell did I manage to do that, I mean seriously who does that? Well, it’s probably not the best to dwell on my own idiotic tendencies.

I walk at a steady pace back to the school and shake my head. Not much to do around here and that kind of bugs me. Like, none of the clubs that aren’t full are really uninteresting. That and I really don’t feel like being S&M’s Student Council toy. Heh, “S&M” that’s a good one. I open the door to the main building and start on my way up to the classroom.

As I walk up the stairs I think I hear something coming from the area of the classroom. Probably a few stragglers or something. Walking up the hallway I can now more clearly hear two people talking from the classroom, sounds like a guy and a girl. Sounds like they’re arguing about something too. I’d rather not crash whatever they’re talking about so I wait a meter or two away from the door. Leaning against the wall I can heard them easier now.

“-is no, Takashi.”

“But why? Why do you always say no?”

“Because you keep asking when I told you my answer the first time.”

“You keep avoiding the question!”

“Because you keep asking it and expecting a different answer. You know that’s pretty much the definition of insanity right?”

“GAH! I don’t know what annoys me more, the fact that I keep trying and you say no, or the fact that I don’t mind it. Fine, I’m done here today.”

Lover’s quarrel? Maybe or just two people arguing about something. The door slams open and I turn to face it. A boy with a really goofy hat walks out looking pretty pissed off. As he turns into the hallway he sees me and stops to glare. I can see he has a bandage of some kind over one ear.

“What are you staring at?” he looks at me like he’s shocked and angry to see me.

“I dunno. You’re the one who started staring at me.”

I sigh slightly and fold my arms as I look at him. He glares more at me, looking like he wants to start something. I decide to stop slouching and stand up at my full height. Looks like he realizes I’m a bit taller than he is. He wises up and backs off, likely realizing I am a bigger threat than he is.

“Whatever.” He walks away and shakes his head muttering something, likely obscenities and insults, under his breath.

“What a nice person.” Not.

I chuckle a bit and walk into the classroom. Upon entering I see the girl he was talking to. She’s sitting at a desk and looks to be pretty upset. Well, I think she’s upset anyway. I can’t really see her face all too well since her head is down on the desk. I attempt to sneak past her to avoid getting her attention. I manage do so and grab my bag. Sweet, now to leave. Attempting to get back out however, I accidentally kick the side of the desk she’s at. Ah shit.

“I thought you said you were leaving Takashi?” she begins to lift her head up. “Back to ask me the same thing again?”

She looks up and sees me staring at her, a slight smirk on my face.

“Oh. I‘m sorry for that. I didn't know-” I lift my hand up to let her know to stop.

“It’s okay. I didn’t want to disturb you and I obviously failed at that.” I feel myself letting out a small grin. I hold out my hand to her. “I’m Hayato by the way. Hirano Hayato. Nice to meet you.”

She nods and shakes my hand.

“I know that, you transferred in recently right? And I’m Molly Kapur.” She smiles at me. “Nice to meet you too. Is me being here bothering you?”

She shakes her head.

“No, it’s fine. I was actually just about to go back to my room.”

“I see, I suppose I’ll see you tomorrow then Kapur?”

“Not going to offer to walk me back to my room? How rude.” She lets out a soft giggle and I feel myself smiling. “And please, call me Molly.”

“I wasn’t going to offer you because I didn’t expect you to accept even if I did. Why did you ask me anyway?”

“Hmm, well you seem nice, I’d like to talk to you more and I enjoy company on the walk back… and you obviously saw my only other choice likely walk away angrily.”

“Uhh, “angrily” is a bit of an understatement.”

She giggles a bit and nods.

“Okay, yeah. Takashi has a bit of an ego and has some anger issues.”

“It didn’t seem so much like anger issues as he didn’t like what he was hearing.”

“Anger issues because of that.”

I laugh a bit.

“Alrighty then. You wanted me to walk you back to your dorm right?”

“Yes, give me a second.”

I watch as she slowly slides herself out from the desk she is sitting at. She doesn’t seem to move all too easily and as I look down slightly I see why. I wonder if those prosthetics end before her knees or after? Maybe if or when I get to know her better I’ll ask her. Before I realize it, she’s tapping me on the shoulder.

“Huh, what did I miss?”

“Nothing, you just seemed to… spaced out there for a second.”

“I was just thinking about something. Nothing too important.”

She tilts her head in a questioning way before smiling.

“Oh, all right then.”

I start to walk out of the room.

“Come on then.”

We both move to leave the room and I close the door behind her. I quickly re-take the lead of our walk. As I get to the stairs though I hear Molly clear her throat to get my attention. I turn around to look at her.

“Yeah?”

“Umm, do you mind if we take the elevator? I don’t really like the stairs all to much.”

I nod a bit.

“Oh, yeah sure. Uhhh, where are the elevators?”

“This way.”

And with that Molly begins to take the lead. I was going to make a comment about elevators being a bit odd in a school, but then I remembered what kind of school I’m in now. It’d probably be pretty damn annoying, if not impossible, for people in a wheelchair to get up stairs. We get into the elevator and I press the button to go down to the first floor. Something that’s been nagging me finally gets too much.

“Hey Molly, I gotta ask.”

“Hmm?”

“Not to pry but, what was up with Takashi?”

At the mention of his name her expression darkens slightly.

“What about him?”

“Well, as I was getting back to the classroom I overheard you two and he sounded a little annoyed. I waited for you two to be finished because it would have been rude of me to-”

“It wouldn’t have been rude, it would have helped me out a lot actually.”

Damn, that’s the first time I’ve been cut off where someone was telling me to be rude.

“Really? Well in any case when he left the room he seemed kind of pissed off. And apparently thinking being a jerk-wad to someone bigger than him is a good idea.”

She giggles a little bit.

“That’s Takashi all right. Small name, massive ego.”

“I think you mean small brain.”

She smiles widely.

“You obviously don’t like him.”

“Seeing as how first impressions matter, and his first impression to me is an jerk who can’t take a simple “no” for an answer from a girl, no I don’t.”

She makes a face like she is attempting to stifle a major amount of laughter.

“When you put it that way, I can see your point.”

“It’s a good point. And probably pretty correct am I right?”

She sighs slightly and shakes her head.

“Very much so. He’s a nice guy at the times when he wants to be. The times when he doesn’t however…”

“He’s a massive asshole?”

She shrugs and giggles a little bit.

“Pretty much.”

The elevator dings and the doors open up. I hold out my hand in front of me.

“Ladies first.”

“My what a gentleman.” She grins slightly. “Thank you Hayato.”

“It was no problem Molly.”

“I see.” She nods and enters the elevator in front of me.

After a quick trip the elevator dings and the door opens up.

“Okay then. Hey if you can, could you stay on my left side?”

I lead her out and she takes to my right. She turns her head slightly to look at me.

“Why did you ask me to stay on your left side specifically?”

I bring my hand to my left eye and tap my temple.

“I’ve got bad sight in this eye and almost no peripheral vision. If you’re on my left side that means I have someone who can watch that side for me.”

“Is it because of you, umm what’s the term?”

“Heterochromia? No. It’s not from that. I got into a fight a few years ago and got hit in the eye. That’s why the pupil is bigger in my left eye than my right. The doctors thought I might lose sight in that eye. After a bunch of operations during a four-month hospitalization, the doctors finally figured that the damage could not be fully repaired and I was left with crap depth perception, no peripheral vision on that side and a permanently dilated pupil.”

“Wow, that must have hurt.”

“I wouldn’t know.”

“How could you not know?”

“The reason I’m here is because I can’t feel physical pain.”

I hold open the door leading to the grounds for her. She walks through it and then turns to face me.

“That must make life difficult for you.”

“Yes and no. Yes in the fact that I’d have to see a nurse or someone if I tripped to make sure I didn’t break anything, no because it’s pretty useful in fights and stuff like that.”

“Isn’t that dangerous with your condition though?”

“Maybe, but I’ve learned how to live with it. For the most part anyway.”

“Oh, I understand. I think”

“Are you sure about that?”

“Kind of? It’s not something I’ve heard of before.”

“That makes sense I suppose. Apparently it’s a relatively, and by that I mean very, rare condition.”

“Oh, all right then.”

We stop talking for a bit as we walk up the path towards the girl’s dorms. My mind starts to wander as it usually does when not focused on things. Though it pops back to the fact that Molly seemed actually curious about my condition, even though I know about as much about it as she does and I’m the one who has the frigging thing. Maybe the reason why I don’t know all too much about it is the fact I could really care less about it? It affects me in a pretty important way, but I’m not an idiot with my condition… or at least I try not to.

As we reach the stairway to the girl’s dorms, Molly stops and turns towards me.

“Thank you for walking me back even though it wasn’t really necessary.”

“You sure about that?”

I feel myself letting out a slight grin, to which she returns a small smile.

“Yes I am. But I do appreciate the gesture. Thank you.”

“No need to thank me, I was just being polite.” I grin a bit more “But you’re welcome.”
She nods a bit.

“See you tomorrow in class then?”

“Not going to invite me up?”

“What?” She blushes the tiniest bit.

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding.”

“The thing is, I would. But my room is a little bit of a mess. So no.”

Well, that was unexpected.

“Oh, all right then. I suppose we could hang out sometime then?”

She nods a bit and smiles once more.

“Sure, when?”

“Hmm…” I think for a few seconds. “You busy tomorrow?”

“Not at all.”

“Great, tomorrow it is then.”

She lets out a small laugh.

“I suppose so. I’ll need to clean my room it looks like.”

I raise my eyebrow inquisitively at her and grin.

“We’re going to be spending time in your room?”

My comment gets the expected reaction. A blush from Molly and her getting flustered.

“N-Not like that! I meant I need to clean it since I realized it now.”

“Relax, I’m just messing with you.”

“… Jerk.”

“I will not confirm nor deny that statement.”

She sighs a bit and looks down. Shaking her head she looks back up to me and smiles.

“All right then. See you tomorrow?”

“Yup.”

With this Molly turns to walk into the girl’s dorm. I turn on my heel and begin to walk back to my room. It feels like things are starting to pick up.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Steinherz wrote:*Note: Holy shit, this is update took a long time to post. Also, I'm trying something new. For multiple dialogues (like what appears in the beginning of this chapter) I'll colour a character's dialogue differently. For this, Gustav is Dark Red, Hayato is Dark Blue and Hisao is of course Green. If that style gets bad reviews, I'll change it back to the regular style. :lol: I need to stop procrastinating when it comes to posting something that's been done for THREE WEEKS.
I don't have to read it to tell you that this is a very bad idea. There are probably tips about this in the Tips for Fanfiction Writers thread. Find a different way to distinguish your dialogue.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Painless, Scarred and the Broken Heart (Updated 12/13)

Post by Silentcook »

It's merely a variation on character tags. First post in the tips.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

griffon8 wrote:
Steinherz wrote:*Note: Holy shit, this is update took a long time to post. Also, I'm trying something new. For multiple dialogues (like what appears in the beginning of this chapter) I'll colour a character's dialogue differently. For this, Gustav is Dark Red, Hayato is Dark Blue and Hisao is of course Green. If that style gets bad reviews, I'll change it back to the regular style. :lol: I need to stop procrastinating when it comes to posting something that's been done for THREE WEEKS.
I don't have to read it to tell you that this is a very bad idea. There are probably tips about this in the Tips for Fanfiction Writers thread. Find a different way to distinguish your dialogue.
Silentcook wrote:It's merely a variation on character tags. First post in the tips.
I see both your points >.>
Though me doing that for some reason makes it easier to read it for some reason (for me at least) :lol:
I also draw, kind of.