Is it Just Me, Or Could it be Considered Rude...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Do you find it rude? Do you feel as I do about it, the whole facepalm-ing thing?

Yes & Yes
4%
Yes & Kinda
No votes
Yes & No
No votes
Kinda & Yes
4%
Kinda & Kinda
11%
Kinda & No
11%
No & Yes
No votes
No & Kinda
4%
No & No
59%
My answer is so complicated I can not fit it in this poll, I must only comment about it.
7%

Total votes: 27

royaltyler

Is it Just Me, Or Could it be Considered Rude...

Post by royaltyler »

How Hisao regularly talks to Shizune in her path? I just started Learning to Read, so I don't know how much he does it, but at the moment it seems often. I get why he does it, to just have the situation feel less awkward, but couldn't it be seen as rude? And I know how the game somehow tells you that it is alright to do something by accident as long as it is not on purpose when you are around someone with a disability, like the couple times you correct yourself when you say something like 'I see' to Lilly, then you say sorry, and then she says it's fine and don't try to correct yourself on her part, but I mean couldn't regularly talking to Shizune with how much he does be seen as rude? It often feel like facepalm-ing when he does it, is this so with anyone else who has played her path?

Oh, and please comment, don't just do the poll. I just made the poll because I really like making them, so I did, plus it is efficient for quick answers, but really I want comments for this.
I don't know what to put here, yet. I may put something here.
Xanatos

Re: Is it Just Me, Or Could it be Considered Rude...

Post by Xanatos »

No, it couldn't.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

We're programmed to interact with people based on our own understanding of normalcy, which is written into our perceptions long before we reach the cognitive stages of development. When we then meet someone who exists outside that definition, we're quite likely to make mistakes of etiquette.

They're not intentional most of the time, and they're going to happen. If the person on the receiving end of the gaff feels offended, that's really their issue. Shizune never takes real offense to Hisao's mistakes, and most people I've met with similar disabilities are similarly forgiving - having a sense of humor about it, usually.

Were he doing it intentionally, that would be a different story. That's rude and face-palm-worthy. Accidentally talking to a deaf girl, or pointing out sights to a blind person, or giving a thumbs-up to a person without arms are minor gaffs, really; no more intentional or malicious than knocking someone's coffee off their desk when you trip over the waste basket.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Find what rude? All you referred to is "It." Am I missing something?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Find what rude? All you referred to is "It." Am I missing something?
He thinks it might be rude for someone to talk to deaf people.

How communicating in the way you were raised and taught to communicate could be considered rude is beyond me...Unless Hisao was doing it specifically to avoid her understanding, which would make him a dick.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Ah. No, I don't think it's rude. Shizune even signs to him before he learns to. Given Shizune's extremely hardheaded and strong-willed nature, I doubt she'd be emotionally crippled by Hisao saying things she can't hear before they've gotten to know each other well.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Not really, no. You could make an argument for it being a bit insensitive but not fully appreciating a language gap hardly counts as rude. In fact i could make a better argument that you making a larger deal of the language gap when some deaf people are capable of reading lips and understanding what a person is trying to say through gestures and facial expressions and suggesting we shouldn't try verbal communication is rude. Really, you're just making too big a deal of the whole thing acting like we should approach sensory disabled people with the same cautiousness one might approach a fucking landmine.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.