Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/16 ~ recommitted to completion.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Helbereth

Re: Tomorrow's Doom - Aiko Kurai (OC) Updated 8/04

Post by Helbereth »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Say... Do you have any life outside of writing KS fanfic?
Lately? Not much, no. Between jobs, etc.. Have you seen the job market? Imagine also not having a piece of paper describing your intelligence to prospective employers.

Having a lot of free time to kill, I focus it wherever it suits my fancy. Since I've decided to relearn writing, and this project piques my interest, I've spent it working on this of late. It's more productive than lazing around playing video games, and I think I've been getting better at it slowly.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Great chapter again. Glad you didn't drag out the secret-keeping too long ;-)
Already felt like I'd dragged it out too far considering it has literally been a month since she first mentioned it, and Hisao had a chance to notice her distress. Practically every time it came up later in the narrative, I wanted to just be done with it, but I kept reminding myself I had a plan for its revelation.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Not sure this song is too practical as a ringtone though - 30 seconds intro.
As for the ring-tone, my thought was it's easy enough to use a program like Audacity to slice a piece of the song and create an MP3 to use for the ring-tone. I even found an instructional video on YouTube dated from June 2008 - and Audacity has been on my computer since 2004; having used it for similar results. I used a link to the complete song because... well, short of making it myself, the section I'd intended to use probably isn't posted anywhere. The intended section runs from about 1:28 through 1:56 and includes half the line from the next verse.
Last edited by Helbereth on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walshy12238

Re: Tomorrow's Doom - Aiko Kurai (OC) Updated 8/04

Post by Walshy12238 »

I haven't started reading this yet, but I have read your 5 year illumination story and I honestly can't wait to get started on this. Why am I still delaying? To let you know that I'm incredibly keen and I hope it doesn't disappoint (I'm sure it won't).

Let's begin.
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Helbereth

Chapter 16 – The Maudlin Zone

Post by Helbereth »

I wrote myself into a lot of misplaced story threads while writing this. I think it's partially because there's quite a bit of darkness throughout and I want to get to the brighter parts coming up, so I kept trying to splice them into the chapter.

Each time, I had to stop myself. Granted it's not all dark, but I wanted to sink into the feeling of being the third wheel between disputing friends - a disputing couple in this case. I literally thought of the chapter title as I wrote the last few paragraphs.

Anyway, this 6500 word chapter is a lot shorter than my recent offerings, but I like it.

Previous Chapter|Next Chapter

The morning moves along quickly, and I meet Hisao again, as per normal, for our swim. On my way back to my dorm, I pass Yoko's room and decide to pay her a visit. Being so early, I'm nervous she might not be awake yet, so I knock lightly on her door and listen for a response.

After a few seconds pass without an answer, I knock again, making sure to be firm, but not too intrusive. Calling, “hey, Yoko, you up?” I fidget nervously and toy with my still-wet hair.

Maybe this was a bad idea.

Just as I'm considering leaving, I hear a few shuffling footsteps followed by a muffled, “who's there?”

Smiling brightly, I call through her door, “it's Aiko.” Trying to sound cheerful I lower my voice and add, “thought I'd stop by to see how you're doing.”

Hearing the doorknob rattle, I take a step back and wait tentatively as she pulls the door open a crack. “Hey, it's barely seven in the morning,” she says, sounding, and looking, completely bushed. The bright red hair that usually looks so full and carefully brushed is matted to the left side of her head, and there are dark circles under her eyes, but she looks a few shades closer to living than she did Sunday morning.

“Just got back from my swim,” I say, pointing down at my bathrobe, “passed by and thought I'd check in on you – gave us a scare the other day.” Seeing her looking better actually does make me smile, but there's a corner of my mind wondering, “what was that all about, anyway?”

The fatigued expression she greeted me with shifts into a more embarrassed one, and she tenses visibly. “Sorry, I'm an idiot,” she says, closing her eyes, “didn't check for interactions and, well...” she trails off, turning to look into her room. Holding the door only partially open and blocking the view, I wonder if she doesn't like people seeing her private space.

I can understand that – I don't let anyone but Amaya into my mess.

Not wanting her to feel uncomfortable, I alleviate her concern, “well, whatever it was, it's good to see you looking so much better. Sorry you missed Tanabata, too.”

Turning back, she looks indifferent about the ordeal. “Didn't have any big plans anyway,” she says, sounding irritated, “guess it doesn't matter now.”

This feels strange, I realize. Having known Yoko indirectly for a while, talked to her at the Festival, and a few times since, I've never seen her look so... depressed. Perhaps it's just fatigue or anxiety, but the Yoko standing in the doorway talking to me now seems completely different than the one I've met elsewhere. Her tired features pulling the freckles on her cheeks downward in a maudlin scowl, she leans heavily against the door-frame and stares blankly, seemingly through me.

The brightness I usually see in those eyes has given way to a glassy, despondent look, and her shoulders are slumped as though she were carrying a backpack filled with rocks. The green nightgown she wears seems frayed in places and I'm certain I've never seen her mouth curled downward in a perpetual frown before. Maybe this is the real Yoko, I wonder. That thought makes me feel uncomfortable, but it also makes me realize why Nurse asked me to befriend her – she seems to need some support.

Not wanting to sound like a mother-hen, I grin through my discomfort and pat her on the shoulder. “Don't look so depressed,” I say, meaning every word, “it's not like it's the end of the world if you miss one little event. Sea Day is coming up,” I mention, drawing a slight smile, “and we have a three-day weekend to celebrate.”

The slight smile on Yoko's face is endearing and appears genuine, though it's accompanied by those despondent eyes. My thoughts whirl a little, wondering what Hisao has planned, but I'm already in this deep. Mentioning the upcoming, brief respite seems to have put her in a better mood, and I wonder, “do you have any plans for the weekend?”

Shuffling a little, she looks away for a moment and looks back with the smile gone. “Not really, no. Hadn't planned anything and figured I'd catch up on some sleep,” she explains.

That's pretty much what Hisao said about the Festival.

Recalling that, I decide whatever plans Hisao had, he wouldn't mind adding some company. “How about you come with us, then?” I ask, offering a genuine smile, “Hisao has something planned he won't tell me about, but I'm sure it'll be fun – he has designs on bringing Amaya and Tadao, and I'm sure the more the merrier.”

Really, I'm just spit-balling at this point. Yoko seems to be considering the idea, though, and that makes me glad. As I explain, the smile on her face returns, and her shoulders seem to lose some of that weight. “Far be it for me to presume,” I say, “but you look like you could use a little R and R, and not just some sleep.”

Not taking offense at my roundabout question, she smiles and returns a cheerful nod. “Okay, I'll think about it,” she replies, looking a little downcast, but still smiling.

“Great!” I exclaim, “I'll tell him to expect one more,” I add, deciding to be a little forceful. Something tells me it will take more convincing, but seeing her look so depressed is making this feel more important than a simple vacation.

A bewildered expression crosses her face and she starts to protest, “you don't have to-”

“Don't worry about it,” I interject, “if you don't wanna go, I won't force you.” Leaving the decision up to her feels right; I don't want to force her if it makes her uncomfortable. Offering a hopeful expression and reaching up to give her shoulder a slight squeeze, I add, “just keep it in mind, alright? I've been meaning to talk to you more, but with the whole Hisao thing and Shizune...” Using that little war as a selling point isn't something I ever thought I would do, but it makes sense.

“How'd that turn out?” she asks, looking curious.

“A lady never tells,” I reply with shifty eyes, and lean in close to whisper, “but, I'm sure he's under my spell, now.” Her bright smile at hearing that makes me giggle a little, though I assume she thinks it's because of my evasive commentary. Like Hisao, she looks much better with a smile than a frown; though everybody does, really.

Now she starts whispering, “I heard something about Amaya and Tadao having a fight.” Her concerned look is puzzling, but I suppose I'm not the only one interested in their well-being. Actually, knowing she's worried about them makes me happy and helps solidify my decision to become friends with her.

Waving my hand to dispel her concern, I laugh a bit and shake my head. “Yeah, but it's over something stupid,” I comment, watching her reaction. Looking relieved, she smiles again. “We'll have them straightened out long before they get the chance to ruin Sea Day for us,” I add, looking at her with a genuine grin, “wouldn't want your weekend spoiled after missing Tanabata.”

Shaking her head, I watch her red locks bounce and shake as the the matted part flails wildly. “You really want me to go along?” she inquires.

“Yeah,” I reply quickly. “We seem to have a lot in common,” I mention, point to my deaf ear, “and we're in the same class. Besides that, I hear you're great at English and I'm dumber than a box of rocks where that's concerned, so I have some selfish reasons, too.” I end with an emphatic nod accompanied by a toothy grin.

She sneers at me suspiciously, “aren't Amaya and Tadao-”

“Tittering relentlessly and completely distracted twenty-four seven,” I interject placing my hands on my hips and making an annoyed face. Not having to lie my way through this is helpful; their coupling has really made trying to study with them a practice in futility.

Catching my point, she rolls her eyes and nods. “Okay, fine. Just lemme know where he's planning to take you once you wile it out of him,” she says with a conspiratorial smirk.

“Will do,” I reply, mimicking her clandestine grin. Seeing the smile on her face, I'm glad I've probably screwed up Hisao's plans. Yoko seems to be cheering up already, and I think I've made a new friend; or at least it's looking that way.

“If you need any help with the quarreling couple, lemme know,” she says, starting to slip back behind her door.

“We have a plan, but thanks,” I say, waving as I take a step back, “keep your weekend clear.”

Nodding at my last comment, she closes her door and I nod to myself, feeling like I've accomplished something good today already. Spinning and stepping lightly, I head for my room, almost starting to hum a tune. However, seeing the door across from mine swing open makes me stop suddenly. Stomping out from her room, apparently having heard my approach, Amaya makes a bee-line straight for me, wearing an irritated expression and holding up her phone.

“Fifty messages,” she says, holding the phone out to me and scowling, “he doesn't give up!”

“Tadao?” I say rhetorically, to which she nods and sneers.

“He completely filled my inbox!” she bellows, folding her arms, “with his stupid questions and bullshit!”

I should have had Hisao take away his phone, too.

Tapping her foot hard enough to break a hole through the floor, she continuously shakes her head. Her vengeful stare, accompanied by a crooked sneer, is levied at me as I flip through the messages. Trying not to smile at Tadao's colorful prose, I keep my eyes away from her so she can't see the lightness behind them. This is actually a good sign, I decide, and it will give them something else to focus on once they're stuck in a room together.

Keeping my head down as I read a few of the messages, I can feel Amaya studying my reaction with her analytical eyes. It isn't surprising this is how Tadao chose to try and communicate. Some of it is stupid and pointless, but other messages are filled with his usual literary creativity. Unfortunately, she's is too blinded by rage to read it thoughtfully.

Handing the phone back, I shrug noncommittally as I comment, “he's always like that, though.” Offering a cool smile, I add, “it means he still cares.”

“You think I don't know that!?” she screams, pointing at me furiously, “he just makes me crazy!”

Spinning on her heel she starts storming away, but stops herself mid-stride and turns back, walking right up in front of me, aiming her frustrated stare at my sympathetic eyes. “Do you have any idea how much I want to forgive him!?” she says, her voice in a loud whisper, “but he's so relentless; like...” looking away, she bites her lip as she trails off looking like she's ready to start crying again.

Reacting to that, I wrap her skinny frame in a hug, pulling her head against my shoulder and rubbing her back calmly. Her shoulders shake with a few sobs, but she relaxes after a minute and pulls away, looking up at me through bleary eyes and shaking her head. “He's an idiot,” she states bluntly.

“He can be, yeah,” I agree, but then I scold, “so can you.”

Her face screws up incredulously, but then relaxes when she sees my sincere expression. “I just want him to leave me alone about it,” she says flatly, “I don't even like thinking about it, mush less talk about it.”

“Well,” I say, seeing an opportunity, “maybe I can help with that a little.” Before she can protest, I wrap my arm over her shoulder and start walking her back toward her open door. “I found my tennis shoes last night,” I say, leading her thoughts.

Raising an eyebrow confusedly, she shakes her head and sighs, “I thought you hated tennis.”

“I don't think I gave it a fair shot,” I retort, “only tried it that one afternoon and had one bad experience.” Walking us into her room, I retract my arm and start making swinging motions. “It was fun while it lasted,” I recall, editorializing for the benefit of the plan, “I only said I hated it because I was too stupid to drink enough water, and I put myself over the net.”

Her face remains a blank sheet, but there's a small smile slowly growing across her lips. “Your just trying to make me feel better,” she says suspiciously, “or you have something else planned.”

“Cross my heart,” I say, making an 'X' across my chest with an index finger, “I found the shoes this-morning and thought it might be a nice way to catch up with you – so to speak. We haven't had much time to talk since last month.” My logic seems to be working as I see her eyes start to catch up with her growing smile. “Worst case scenario, I double over and we never try tennis again,” I explain; that part is actually true. The final bit I plan to say is more gamesmanship than honesty, but it should be effective. “Either way, we get to spend an afternoon away from our paramours and you get to beat me at a game,” I finish, pointing at her closet – where I know she keeps her racket.

As Amaya's eyes follow my hand to her closet, I realize we had planned to do this tomorrow, and I feel a little apprehensive. “Well, it does sound like fun,” she admits, “but not today; how about tomorrow?”

Faking disappointment, I reply, “sure, whatever. Doesn't have to be today.” Quietly, I feel relieved she didn't jump at the idea of going today, but I try keep that off my face. Distracted as she opens her closet, I don't think she would notice, but I restrain myself anyway.

Pulling out her racket, she turns and smirks at me slyly. “I'd definitely mop the floor with you,” she says confidently. The smirk fades as she looks me over and a concerned expression crosses her face. “You're sure Hisao won't mind?” she queries. Quickly following that by admitting,“we screwed up your evening, kinda.”

Patting the air with an open palm, I shake my head. “Don't worry, we're fine,” I assure her.

“I really didn't mean for that to happen, but...” she breathes out a long sigh, looking up at me mournfully.

After the fiasco at the end of Tanabata, I can understand why she feels guilty, but considering last night's excursion, I think her worry is misplaced. “He's your friend too,” I remark, “and he's just as worried – about both of you.” Carefully avoiding the mention of Tadao's name, she still looks at me bitterly when I place her with him contextually.

Classes today should be fun.

An hour later that lofty prophecy becomes a reality. Walking into class ahead of Amaya, I see Tadao sitting much like he did yesterday morning; looking like he was washed in with the tide. Using me as a barrier, she pushes me ahead and forces me into the chair next to him while she takes my seat. Whatever illusions I had about the class not suspecting their recent dissonance is dispelled by that single action.

Ito is later than usual, so it gives the class a chance to notice the seating change, and I see more than a few whispered conversations; several of them in sign. As I sit sideways in the chair, probably looking exceedingly uncomfortable, Toru and Jun instead turn their curious glances toward me. Unable to believably look away as though I hadn't noticed their questioning looks, I smile nervously.

Jun punches Toru's arm and glares at him while pointing at me. A moment later, Toru starts signing. [Are they alright?] he asks.

Seeing their concerned looks, and knowing Tadao gets along with Toru pretty well, I decide to give them some consolation. However, being in a room consisting mainly of deaf or partially-deaf students, I realize signing my response might as well be advertizing to the entire class, so, getting up, I walk over out of earshot and whisper to Jun, “they had a blowout, it's being repaired.”

His usually mirthful expression darkens and he seems to blush. Their curiosity sated, they wave me back so I can rejoin the disjointed couple. Amaya is glowering at me when I get back to my seat, so I offer her a shrug. Upon sitting down, I lean toward her and say softly, “whole class is worried, hope you know.”

Before she can respond, Ito blasts through the door, but stops suddenly before reaching his desk; apparently noticing our altered seating arrangement. Even he seems to know there's something very wrong with this picture, and I was certain he never paid any attention to things like that. Narrowing his eyes at us for a moment, he shrugs and continues to his chair.

Ito avoids looking in our direction to try and prevent some of the casual glances, but everyone seems to know there's something very wrong with Amaya and Tadao. Throughout class, there is tension hanging in the air; tension that doesn't go unnoticed by the bickering pair. Sitting in view of both, I never once see them look toward each-other or say so much as a word.

Tadao's text messages were heartfelt and plentiful, but, in person, he's rendered mute. Sitting there with his hand on his face, he keeps his eyes trained on Ito, or the clock, or anyone else that isn't Amaya. She isn't doing much better. Her line of sight toward Ito apparently includes Tadao's grim mug in its periphery, so she stares at the filing cabinet to the left of Ito's desk through most of the class.

This, I suppose, is what I always feared when they were just dodging around, using me as their confidant. Holding their secret longings away from them, I used to imagine what would happen if it didn't work out and they ended up despising each-other. My imaginings were quite similar to this, really; sitting in class, caught in a neutral void between my two best friends as each of them completely avoids looking at the other.

Those dark fantasies were rather tame, I realize. Never did it include the cloud of tension hanging over the entire class, nor Ito's distracting pacing as he attempts to pull attention away from the elephant in the room. Looking around the room at their varied expressions, there are a lot of distressed faces; including Yoko.

Catching sight of her, I realize this is her first day back and I feel doubly bad now that all the attention is focused on my other two friends. Some of those looks should be turned her way, I think; she was in the hospital for a day, and someone ought to at least fake concern for her well-being. Spotting my lingering gaze, she smiles at me from her seat on the far side of the room and I smile back.

How did I never notice nobody noticing her before?

No wonder she seems so depressed; nobody in the class even says hello to her, or offers any recognition of her existence. That may be why she was so tentative while we ran the booth last month; like she doesn't expect anyone will want to talk to her. Looking back toward Amaya and Tadao, I realize helping Yoko actually depends on them making up - as though I didn't have enough problems.

When Ms. Miyagi enters the room for English class, she notes the rearranged seating with less concern than Ito, but she does turn a questioning glance at me. Shrugging in response, I wonder if she's recalling her ill-timed query from yesterday. Noticing the pall of anxiety, she quickly slips into making similar gestures as Ito to pull the attention away from the disputing duo.

The lunch bell rings, and most of the class clears out; the three of us stay behind along with a few stragglers. While picking at my steamed vegetables, I notice a wave coming from Yoko and decide to answer it by picking up my lunch and carrying it over to sit in Tomiya's seat while he's away. As much as I want to be supportive, I need to get away from their cloud of discord for a little while, and Yoko's wave seems like an invitation.

Sitting down, I ask, “I'm not bothering you, am I?”

“No,” she says, looking a little flustered, “you look like you need a break.”

Seeing her eyes wandering over to Amaya and Tadao, I glance back over my shoulder and sigh. “They're just being stubborn,” I say before grinning deviously and adding, “like I said, I have a plan.”

She actually giggles hearing that; it's the first time I've heard her laugh all morning. “You sound determined,” she states.

Smiling back at her, I nod knowingly and squint conspiratorially. “Just a bump in the road,” I say confidently. “How's by you, anyway?” I ask, changing the subject.

Picking at her garden salad, she sighs and looks away. “Tired, I guess,” she says, “Nurse kinda reamed me for being so careless, but the new meds are taking some time to adjust.”

Deciding not to hide the fact, I mention, “I saw the pharmacy on your nightstand, is that for the migraines?”

She looks hurt for a moment, realizing I'd been in her room, but seeing my concerned smile, she relaxes. “Mainly, yeah. The accident that took half my hearing also cracked my skull,” she explains.

“Aha,” I say, nodding with understanding, “I wondered about where your migraines came from.” She nods an affirmation and goes back to picking at her salad. “I just get the dizzy spells,” I remark as I start pushing my steamed vegetables around.

Neither of us invest much effort into eating, instead talking about English. Her aptitude with the subject seems greater than Tadao's, but she lacks confidence in her ability. Even though she was raised in an English-speaking home, she approaches it tentatively and holds back when offering advice or pointing out corrections.

It doesn't seem like modesty, either. When pressed, she looks into the book rather than trusting herself to know the answers; even though she mumbles them repeatedly while searching the index. Whenever she starts looking up an answer, I see her start playing with her right earlobe as though she's trying to listen for the answers in her dead ear; it's somewhat comical. Having sat next to two similarly adept literary minds for a while, both of whom are rather confident in their aptitude, it's strange to see someone so flustered by something she clearly understands.

Just before the lunch bell rings, I notice a looming presence standing over me and look up to see Kenta Tomiya's ocean-blue eyes staring back. “Hey, Aiko,” he says, “playing hooky?”

Grinning at the sandy-haired boy, I groan and raise an eyebrow. “I suppose you want your seat back,” I say.

“Oh no, I'll be fine standing for a few minutes if you want to finish,” he remarks, pointing at my unfinished lunch sprawled across his desk. “You and Yoko, huh?” he says, grinning and folding his arms. “Kind of a perfect match... well sort of,” he explains, “put the two of you together and you'd get stereo sound.” Taking a step back he narrows his eyes and holds his hands up, then crosses them. “You should switch places,” he advises, “so you're not getting the sounds backwards.”

Yoko giggles and blushes at his comment, while I just raise an eyebrow and smirk at him sideways. Having known him since my first year here, I know Kenta's sense of humor runs the gambit from veiled sarcasm, to bad puns and on into wildly inappropriate territory. Right now, he seems to be teetering somewhere between inappropriate and sarcastic.

Levying his baby-like left arm toward me, he cackles at his own humor for a few moments before asking, “Yoko tells me you tried to raid her room this-morning?”

Oh, so she does talk to someone in class.

Turning a sarcastic eye at Yoko, I agree with his assumption, “that's exactly what happened.”

Watching her blush and avert her eyes from Kenta, I wonder whether she just makes her nervous, or if it's something deeper. He doesn't seem to pick up on it as he grins widely, making the dimples in his cheeks sink deeply. Finally, she stutters, “I-I didn't say that,” looking positively flustered.

“It was in the subtext,” Kenta implies, looking at me and winking.

The bell rings signaling the end of lunch as Kenta tosses his head back in a solid laugh. Joining his mirth, I catch a giggle fit as I go about clearing my lunch from his desk and stand. Turning to Yoko before heading back to my chair, I pat her shoulder and say, “thanks for the company – sitting with those two is like being the eye of a storm.”

As I walk away, Kenta calls after me, “stop stalking my girlfriend,” his tone riddled with sarcasm.

Turning to smirk at his flippant statement, I notice Yoko's eyes widening and see her blushing furiously. Kenta is too busy laughing at his innuendo to notice how uncomfortable it made her, but I have a clear view. Her mouth moves as if to speak, but nothing comes out, so she slumps back in her chair, shaking her head. Though I can't be certain, I think she's a little smitten with the sarcastic science geek.

The plot thickens.

Back in my -Amaya's- chair, I try not to stare across the room at Yoko's deepening blush, but finding another focal point is difficult until Mutou steps in stealthily. Tall and brisk, Akio Mutou hardly pays any attention to the tittering going on around the class as he sets his briefcase down on the desk and starts writing out some vocabulary words on the board.

After writing them out, he turns his thin face toward the class and clears his throat to start his lecture. Normally, I find myself zoning out when Mutou talks, but today, for some reason, I'm actually paying attention. “When a body is in motion it will tend to stay in motion,” he says flatly, “but no forward progress is ever perpetual.”

Aiming his disarming stare around the room, he takes a few steps forward as a demonstration of sorts. “If I walk forward,” he says as he walks, “I'm in motion; as you can see.” Stopping, he smiles slightly and glances around the room. “If I stop applying energy into the motion, I will stop. Exerting a force to move forward, or to prevent something from moving forward, requires energy relative to the amount of mass you're moving. Thus you cannot move a mountain with a pickup truck; at least not without a considerable mechanical advantage.”

Realizing a simile, I actually raise my hand. He nods toward me and I relate my thought, “is that like saying it takes a village to raise a child?”

Mulling it over for a moment, Mutou smiles and nods. “Somewhat, Miss- uh...”

He's not great with names.

“Kurai,” I whisper, drawing a few giggles from around the room.

He stiffens and looks around for a second, rubbing the stubble on his chin, though I don't think it's to commit my name to memory; rather to recall how he was going to reply. The moment he remembers, he begins talking, “except the village is a large mass exerting force on a small object, thus moving it with considerable ease.” Hearing the way he breaks it down into such emotionless language, it's no wonder he's socially awkward. Hisao looks up to him, though, and they're similar in a lot of ways; except Hisao isn't quite so bad at remembering names.

The rest of his lecture drones on largely without my paying it any heed, but the bit about exerting force to cause motion sticks with me. Along with the quantum theory he described previously, this one seems to have bearing on social situations; things I've observed over the past month. Considering that without some kind of force, the different decisions I made would never have had a chance to effect causality, I think it has more bearing on how things turned out.

Had it not been for my pushing them together, Amaya and Tadao would probably not have spent the last month as an actual couple; nor would they be fighting now. Were it not for Shizune's gamesmanship sending me in pursuit, I'm not sure I would have had the ambition to chase Hisao. Had I not been running away from Dad, giggling and burning my feet on that pier, I wouldn't have fallen in the water, blown out my ear, and ended up at Yamaku.

Action and reaction. Force and causality.

Granted, once those forces were applied, I then had the chance to decide which direction it would push me, so where I am now depends on both the force and the causality. Moreover, they will continue to affect future events. Sitting here, in the wrong chair of room 3-1, absently absorbed in my thoughts, I find myself contemplating how my existence effects things around me – and hoping it's at least positive.

When Mutou leaves, I'm still lost in thought, staring out the window. So, when Mrs. Owaku steps in to start her history lecture, I'm still a little addled. With the three-day weekend coming up, the majority of lectures are review rather than new information. History is always a review, it seems, so I tune out her gravely voice and turn my attention around the room.

The first person I notice is Naoko, sitting on her leg and rocking back and forth wearing a bright smile. Recalling her tutoring when I first started learning sign, I remember her being a history-buff, so she's usually on the edge of her seat during Owaku's lectures. She shows no sign of noticing my brief inspection, which is interrupted by Tadao leaning back and stretching into a yawn; blocking my view.

Noticing my look, he smirks at me briefly and goes back to hunching over his desk. Seeming not to have gotten much sleep over the past few nights -instead spending them brooding in his room, according to Hisao- his maudlin expression could easily be mistaken for fatigue. Compared to when class first started, he isn't putting much effort into hiding from Amaya, and even glances at her apologetically a few times, but it goes unnoticed.

Amaya now has a pseudo-reason to be staring at the globe sitting atop that filing cabinet, and she's taking full advantage of the convenience. Contrary to her normal, chipper self, she leans forward similarly, her head resting on her arm, as she stares blankly toward the blue and brown ball that really only bears a moderate correlation with history class.

All that thought about force and causality leads me to wonder if I've really been a good influence on my two best friends. The animosity between them now is superficial, really, but I wonder if it could be a bigger problem if they stay together. Both being so stubborn and obtuse at times, if another similar misunderstanding comes up and there's nobody around to give them a kick or lock them in a shed, I wonder if they might end up like Joyce – separated, and eventually divorced.

With graduation coming up, I worry I won't be there to help them get along when something comes between them; something they can't work through on their own. In that case, maybe pushing them together was just dooming them to future pain. If I caused that to happen, and they end up resenting me, I don't think I could bear the guilt. Perhaps that's just the way things are, but, if that's true, I wonder why anyone bothers putting energy into changing things.

What's the point if it doesn't even matter?

Finding myself hitting such a depressing wall, I frown and sink my head down. Glancing over toward Naoko, I suddenly wish I were more interested in history, so I might be distracted. History, however leads my thoughts and I remember something Dad told me during his last week on Earth. At the time, it felt like pedantic hyperbole, but in the months after returning from his funeral, it fueled my outlook - still does. He said, “never let them tell you life isn't worth living.

If everything we do is meaningless, then his statement wouldn't make sense. For life to be worth living, you have to be able to exert control over its flow and alter it to align with your desires. In order to ignore people who say otherwise, you have to believe the changes you make to suit your needs are worth doing. Therefore, as long as your intentions are good, whatever you do to alter your life's course, the resulting causality must naturally be positive.

Now, I think I understand why Joyce is able to feel happy about her divorce. The way she explained it, the time she spent with her ex-husband had been mostly enjoyable, and in their parting she found her own path remains bright. Even if Amaya and Tadao end up being unable to work things out in the future, the good times they share will have been worth the trouble – I think.

If, one day, they do end up in a similar situation, I'll have to remember this little existential epiphany. Right now, the last bell of the day is ringing and all I want to do is get out of the stagnant air in this classroom. Following me closely, Amaya uses me as a barrier between her and Tadao again as we exit into the hallway. Once out into the crowd, she stays close to shield herself from prying eyes. Rumors spread quick around school, and I'm sure she figures people have been talking about their apparent separation.

Walking across campus, her shoulders are held tightly against her neck as though suspended by unseen strings, and she's deathly silent. However long and dreary the day had been for me, she looks doubly tense and distracted. Seeing her look so uncomfortable, I wonder how awkward Tadao must feel, standing out the way he does and being similarly scrutinized. Passing through the halls in the girls dorm, she avoids eye contact with everyone, including me, until we reach her door.

Turning her dark brown eyes up to meet mine, she lets out a frustrated sigh, “I couldn't even say one word to him all day!” Her eyes immediately shoot toward the floor, ashamed of her apparent cowardice. For my part, I put on a sympathetic smile, but I had no idea she was even making any attempt to look at Tadao, much less say anything all day.

Opening her door for her, she grabs the cuff of my blouse and leads me inside. Dropping down to sit on the floor and curling her knees up, she wraps them with her arms and leans forward, staring at her feet. Starting to rock back and forth, she looks up at me and motions for me to close the door; evidently she wants to talk.

“I had a whole speech planned, but when I saw him, I hid behind you, and then took your seat so I wouldn't have to see him,” she states.

Sitting down next to her, I start rubbing her shoulder. Deciding not to assume the nature of her planned speech, I ask, “why couldn't you go through with it?” Watching her continue rocking back and forth, I see her shake her head and rest it on her knees, looking away; I guess she doesn't know.

That might really be the problem, though. Thinking back, Amaya has never dealt directly with difficult emotions. When she helped me deal with Dad's illness and eventual death, it was my pain she was helping alleviate. Not being prone to melancholy, now that something is bothering her so directly, she seems to lack the ability to see the problem from the outside.

Realizing that, I describe my own perspective, “it's a silly argument y'know.”

Hearing my comment, she stops rocking, turns, furrows her brow and looks at me angrily. “Silly?” she echoes questioningly. Seeing her expression darken, I wonder if she might not yet be ready to hear how stupid she's being. If her continued glare is any indication, then I'm at least partially right.

Quietly contemplating for a few minutes, she's silent and I see her expression changing slowly. Finally shaking her head, she looks away and mumbles, “maybe...”

Hearing that partial admission makes me smile, but it seems like she'd rather not discuss it further. Changing the subject, I pat her shoulder and mention, “tennis tomorrow, right?” Still looking away, she nods and gives an affirmative grunt.

Leaving her to think, I head back over to my room and sit at my desk. Checking the clock, I see it's about time I call Hisao to discuss today's developments. Picking up my phone, I hit redial and start humming the tune from Eyes On Me while listening to the ring before he answers. Greeting me cheerily, hearing his calming baritone does wonders for the melancholic funk spending the day in the maudlin zone left me feeling, and I smile wistfully - feeling a respite from the tension.

We talk about how class went; his day was considerably less sullen, being in a completely different classroom. He met up with Tadao on the way back to the dorms, as planned, and informs me they'll be heading out for a game of basketball after class tomorrow; apparently it was Tadao's idea. Confirming we'll be meet at the shed in the morning to get the keys from Emi and get it set up to function as a proper trap, we end the conversation by arguing over who will hang up first.

Already tired, reaching the point in the day when I fell asleep yesterday, I consider lying down, but instead open my laptop to play some Call of Duty. Our operation tomorrow afternoon will take some careful timing and I can't afford to be half asleep by that point in the day. Thinking ahead, I even dig my disused wristwatch out of my desk drawer so it will be in sight when I'm getting ready tomorrow.

Keeping my mind distracted, the game is a blur, and I spend more time getting shot and killed than accomplishing anything, but it keeps me up past eight. That's when I decide it's late enough and roll onto my bed, shoving my new yukata away as I crawl under the blankets and find my pillow. Slipping quickly into slumber, there's a smile on my face as I ponder Hisao's mysterious weekend plans.

I'm sure it will be a party of special magnificence.

Read the chapter first guys; c'mon, we've been over this:
And, poof, a new character. In case anyone's wondering what the odd description of Kenta's 'baby-arm' meant, he has Cerebral Palsy and I'll be basing his mannerisms heavily on a friend of mine from when I worked at Wal-Mart.

I also gave a name to the as yet unnamed History teacher - Mrs. Owaku. There's a reference in there, but it's a little obscure and really has nothing to do with history.

Using Mutou to expand on Aiko's theories on life, and bringing up her dad's thoughts on the matter were a little kismet sequence I wanted to work in somewhere, and saw a perfect opportunity as she muddles through her day in the maudlin zone.

In case any of you are interested, I've added character biographies for both Joyce and Kenta to my char-bio post. No big spoilers worth mentioning in there - just some backstory and a personality profile.
Last edited by Helbereth on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Tomorrow's Doom - Aiko Kurai (OC) Updated 8/08

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Thanks for reminding us that Yamaku has more teachers than Mutou and Nomiya ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Helbereth

Re: Tomorrow's Doom - Aiko Kurai (OC) Updated 8/08

Post by Helbereth »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Thanks for reminding us that Yamaku has more teachers than Mutou and Nomiya ;-)
Indeed. There's a whole lot of staff that never gets mentioned - which is why it was so easy to create Joyce out of thin air.

I'm not sure if the subject alignment is right, but I figured the four primary studies in school would take precedence - Mathematics, Language, Sciences and History. In the VN, it seemed like they were always in science class, which I thought was odd. Likely due to the fact that they didn't want to create art for more staff, or simply didn't have the time or inclination to bother.

Ito pops up in the first chapter, and he's been referenced infrequently - mostly by his bluster. Mutou has popped up in passing and conversation, and Aiko's fleeting reference to that long-ago lecture, but never spoke until this chapter. I kind of wish I didn't have to use Mutou to generate the theoretical pursuits, but what other teacher is going to be lecturing about quantum theory and the laws of motion? Miyagi had a speaking bit in the last chapter, though I don't really have a solid idea of her appearance or personality beyond her teaching technique. The history teacher, Owaku, finally got named here, and I have a little write-up on her to use in the event she becomes more prevalent.

The changing flow of the day relative to the subjects being taught push Aiko's thoughts around, and effect the attitude in the room. As often as I can, I try to have the people around her effect how Aiko thinks, and the different teachers coming in to change the classroom dynamic does that rather well, I think.
Last edited by Helbereth on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Helbereth

Chapter 17 - In Synch

Post by Helbereth »

I've come to the decision that I need to put some time between chapters; to allow breathing room for making corrections, as well as save my sanity. No doubt I will probably continue writing this as fervently as i have been, but I won't be posting new chapters as I finish them. Instead, I'm going to plan for weekly updates - likely on Fridays. If I get really far ahead, i might post two chapters per week, but for now I'll aim for once.

Today, after finishing this chapter last night, I decided to put some of my artistic skill to use and created cover art containing my own rendition of Aiko herself. It's now posted on the first page, as well. Having done sketches of Amaya, Tadao and Yoko, I'll probably add those at some point; not anytime real soon, though. Stylistically it's a departure from how I usually draw; my style is more cartoonish.

Previous Chapter|Next Chapter

Waking early, but feeling refreshed, I spend a little time picking up my room -giving it a perfunctory topical excavation- before heading out to meet Emi and Hisao. The bright orange sunrise filters over the carefully manicured lawns, casting long shadows from the fruit trees dotting the area near the track. Passing by the bleachers, I catch the scent of wild flowers growing someplace out of sight and walk with a lightness in my steps.

Wearing my swimsuit, bathrobe and track pants, and carrying a towel to keep up appearances, there's a devious grin on my face as I make my way out across the track to the shed on the far side. Emi was more than happy to help out when I explained we wanted to use the shed to ensnare Amaya and Tadao. Volunteering to meet us out here to hand off a spare key for the padlock, I think she may be more excited to see this work than I am – though probably not.

Seeing her bouncing lightly on her running spikes near the shed, I wave at Emi when she catches sight of me, and answer her gleeful grin with a clandestine smile. Dressed and ready for her morning run, she holds up the key and giggles. “Quite the plan you have in mind, Aiko,” she says cheerfully, tossing it over, “don't lock them in there for too long, though.”

Seeing the concern on her cherubic face, I mention, “we're leaving water in there for them, and we'll be staying nearby.”

“Might wanna leave a box of-” she stops herself and giggles. “Y'know...” she trails off, looking embarrassed.

She doesn't... that couldn't... I...

Seeing my bewildered look, she cracks up laughing and nudges my shoulder with her elbow. “I'm just kidding, geeze!” she chides. Widening her eyes and flitting her eyebrows, her gleeful grin twists into a suggestive smirk as she adds, “or maybe I'm not.”

The fact that I don't want to consider the possibility doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Besides, they're two healthy young adults and there's a very real chance they could end up-

Ok, stop; I want off this logic train.

Not wanting to think about that looming happenstance, I shake my head and look at her disdainfully. “You don't mind us using it?” I ask. Realizing my question could be misinterpreted, my eyes widen and I start to ramble, “I mean for locking them together, not-”

“Calm down, priss,” Emi balks, cutting my babble short. “The Track Captain uses it for worse things,” she says cryptically, “using it to help two lovebirds get their heads on straight is probably good karma.” Turning, she starts bounding toward the track.

Stopping a few paces away, she looks back over her shoulder and warns, “if you smell lemons, don't go in, though.” That said, she continues her jog -sprint- toward the track.

Lemons? And did she call me 'priss'?

Before I can think too much about what she meant, I hear Hisao call from behind me, “heya, morning!”

Turning to regard him, I see he's carrying a cooler in one hand and waving with the other, wearing a white t-shirt, track pants and black sneakers like any other morning; all part of the show. The cooler was his idea; leaving some refreshments in case the shed gets hot in the afternoon sun. Brushing away the cryptic reference Emi left me with, I hold up the key for him to see and remark, “you just missed Emi.”

“I must have blinked,” he says sardonically.

Following him when he walks by, we head into the shed and have a look around. The interior is a little dark, especially in the dim morning light, and it's crammed with an assortment of sporting paraphernalia, but there's enough room to walk around inside without bumping into each-other. Faintly, I catch a lemon scent in the stagnant air, but I shrug it off; not wanting to think about what Emi's cryptic message could have meant.

Leaving the cooler near the door, we set about making sure the equipment we'll be sending them in to get is as far from the door as possible. Bouncing basketballs to the back corner, and moving a rack of tennis rackets along with them, it takes us nearly an half an hour to get everything placed properly; we have to make it look normal. When we've finished that, we're both sweating profusely as the morning sun has started beating heavily on the shed, raising the temperature inside.

“Got our work-out anyway,” Hisao comments, reaching into the cooler for a couple bottles of water.

As he hands one to me, I laugh and nod. “I could still go for a swim, but I don't think we'll have time,” I remark, “guess a nice cold shower will do, though.” Hiding the cooler in the back corner -we can tell them about it after they're locked in- we head out into the brightening morning and start walking back toward the dorms.

Approaching the crossroads, I recall a detail that I might need to quickly fix. “My hair,” I say absently. Looking at me blankly, Hisao is surprised when I grab his half-empty bottle of water. “We were supposed to be swimming, remember,” I explain, shaking the water into my trusses.

“You could come use my shower before heading back,” he mentions, pointing toward the boys dorm.

Feeling silly, standing in the middle of the path holding the empty bottle of water, I think that's a brilliant idea – sort of. Getting a chance to see his dorm room, finally -I wonder if he actually has that little banzai tree- would be cathartic, but I wonder what ulterior motive he might have. “What about Kenji?” I ask, avoiding the more obvious question.

“He's never up this early unless he's headed into town – and that's usually only on Tuesdays,” he describes, “nobody else uses the bathroom there, either.”

“Seriously?” I ask, remembering the line before Tanabata.

“Come on, you wanna sell the cover-story, right?” he says, his logic being difficult to deny. “I'll show you my room, even,” he adds, starting to walk toward the dorm.

“No funny stuff,” I comment as I start following him.

Glancing back, he smirks, but doesn't bother to respond verbally. Thus far he's been a perfect gentleman, but for some reason I can't help having alarm bells ringing in my head. It's probably just apprehension over going into the boys dorm at all; I've only been there a few times with Amaya to drag Tadao out on some excursion. Still, even though I trust Hisao's intentions, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be cautious.

I'm just being paranoid. A little paranoia is good for you.

As Hisao leads me through the halls, I try not to frown at the familiar smell. The girls dorm, I'm used to, but the boys dorm always has a musky odor that seems to permeate the air even though it's well-kept by the students and staff. Thankfully the place is devoid of activity, so there's nobody around to wonder why I'm following him to his room so early in the morning.

Passing through the halls quickly, his room is apparently on the first floor, so there are no stairwells to climb. Coming around one last corner, I find we've reached a dead-end with a door on either side and one on the end. Placing his key in the lock, I read the number-plate. “119,” it says, and below there's a little name plate with, “Nakai Hisao,” written in kanji letters.

Hesitating for just a moment, he pushes the door open and comments, “I still haven't had a chance to decorate.”

As the door swings away, I understand what he means. Not having been in many dorm rooms other than my own, Amaya's, and a few others, I've noticed there's a huge divide in how students decide to arrange and decorate their rooms. Having had mine for over two years, I've had plenty of time to add personal touches to the walls, and land Hurricane Aiko on the floor. Amaya keeps hers in near-clinical order, while others never seem to bother changing it much from when they first stepped through the door.

Inside Hisao's room is very spartan. There's no Albert Einstein or Captain Picard posters, no banzai tree, and, aside from the bed, night-stand and desk, no superfluous furniture. The white curtains, white walls and gray carpeting are unchanged from how I recall my own room looking when I first moved in, and somehow it actually makes sense. Having just started attending Yamaku barely more than a month ago, Hisao hasn't had time to rightly brighten up his room.

With us leading him around to places and taking up his free time with our antics, he hasn't had much time to think about it, much less decorate anything – or go exploring the school grounds, he said. It does surprise me to see an even more extensive pharmacy than Yoko's resting on his nightstand, and my eyes settle there for a long moment.

Noticing my less-than-casual glance at the sprawl of prescription bottles, he lets out a nervous laugh and explains, “those are the meds I mentioned; all seventeen of them.”

“Seventeen?” I echo questioningly, absently counting the bottles. It's a ridiculous number, but he's not kidding; seventeen bottles rest on his nightstand, each with a different label.

“Yeah, well, a number of them are for the condition itself; others are to counteract side-effects from those, and so on from there,” he describes, unblinking and coldly. When he said he gets insomnia from his medications, I had already assumed he was on something for his arrhythmia -Nurse said as much- but I never expected there to be so many. “I try not to think about it,” he says reassuringly, “Nurse keeps track of them and I keep him informed of any side-effects.”

Shaking my head to clear the bewildered expression, I look over at Hisao, now sitting on his bed, and offer a cheerful smile. “You should save the labels and paste them on your walls,” I suggest, glancing around the room, “like a defiant prisoner scratching the days into the walls.”

Laughing, he stands and points toward the door. “The bathroom is the door at the end of the hall,” he explains, then smirks and adds, “I'll distract Kenji if he emerges from his bunker.”

“No peeking,” I scold with a wry smirk as I exit his door. He replies with a quick nod and an innocent smile. Of course, I have no intention of stripping in the shower; I'm just wetting down so I look like I went for a swim. His dutiful nod is still reassuring.

Darting across the hall, I enter the bathroom quickly and toss my bathrobe and towel over on the counter. Slipping out of my track pants and sandals, I step into one of the two shower stalls and turn on the cold water. Hearing it sputter and choke for a second, the stream starts to flow and I step in quickly, getting my hair soaked and wetting the rest of myself down so I appear clammy - like I should after a swim.

Thoroughly soaked and a little cold, I step out, shut off the water, then start drying myself quickly. Wrapping the towel over my hair, I pull up my track pants and throw the bathrobe on before heading for the exit; it only takes me about three minutes. Opening the door, I find Hisao standing in his doorway, staring at me with his eyes widening.

Did I forget something?

Then I hear something strange coming from the door on the other side of the hall; it sounds like a dozen locks being undone and I glance at Hisao with a questioning look. Pointing into his room, he whispers, “hide!” Quickly and as stealthily as I can, I sprint across the hall and into his room.

Closing the door behind me, he whispers loudly, “wait in there.”

A moment later, I hear the door across the hall swing open and batter the wall, followed by a few heavy footsteps and a stifled yell, then a question “who's there?”

A wild Kenji appears.

Leaning against the door and pressing my ear to the surface, there's a long pause filled with silence and a few more thudding footsteps. Covering my mouth to stop a giggle, I hear Hisao answer, “just me, Kenji.”

“Who's me?!” Kenji cries.

There's a short pause, during which I figure Hisao is shaking his head dismissively, followed by his calm reply, “It's Hisao.”

Suddenly sounding much less agitated, Kenji inquires,“Oh, hey man. How's your underwater infiltration going?”

Underwater infiltration? Okay, yeah, I actually understand that one.

“Swimmingly,” Hisao replies, and it's suddenly very difficult to contain my giggles. “What shot you out of your door like that, anyway?” he inquires, feigning ignorance.

“Thought I heard some commotion coming from the bathroom and thought the feminists may have infiltrated already. I wanted to make sure they hadn't discovered the cache I left in there,” Kenji explains his delusion, then finishes with a query, “you didn't see anything suspicious did you?”

Just a strange girl wetting herself down to sell a cover-story.

“Nope,” Hisao replies, “it's been pretty quiet since I got back.”

“Great! Never can be too careful, though. Feminists are diabolical when it comes to using their feminine wiles to deconstruct the carefully constructed institutions of manhood – like bathrooms,” Kenji replies with even more conspiracy theories. Sometimes I wonder if he really believes that stuff, or if it's just an act, but he sounds sincere.

That's probably why it's so worrisome.

At this point, I imagine Hisao is just smiling and nodding while the crazy person finishes his diatribe. “Make sure you keep your eye out for that kind of stuff and let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary,” Kenji requests, “meantime, I gotta do a perimeter sweep for surveillance and listening devices.”

“You're not going to class today?” Hisao asks, sounding like he wishes he hadn't bothered.

“Where did you think I'd be looking? I run a sweep around here every day, but you can never be too careful. If anyone asks, this conversation never happened. Don't want the feminists finding out someone's scouting out their...” the last bit of his sentence is too quiet to make out, but I doubt it was important anyway. This whole one-sided conversation was rather farcical, really.

After a few seconds, I hear his door slam again and I clear away from the door. Hisao waits out in the hall for a few minutes, to assuage suspicion, I assume, and I cast my wandering eyes around his sparsely furnished room. Catching sight of something colorful on his desk, a single beacon of color in a void of monochrome, I peer over and see an envelope left face down on top of a notebook.

Stepping over lightly, I reach out and flip the letter over to try and read the return address. The carefully-scrawled script is easy to read, and the delicate calligraphy seems rather feminine. The address is somewhere on the other side of Japan -Hisao's home city, maybe- but the name at the address isn't among the ones he ever mentioned – Iwanako Amuro.

The door opens suddenly, and I find myself recoiling from his desk to sit on the bed, plastering a grin on my face to hide the guilty expression. Eying me warily, he inquires, “what were you doing in here?”

Standing, I wave my hands around the room in animated fashion -as a distraction, mostly- and whisper, “just having a look-see, no harm done.” Keeping my eyes on him, I offer a girly giggle and head for the door. “I better get going,” I explain, “Amaya will be up soon.”

Suspicion remains in his eyes as he watches me backing out the door. “Remember, four o'clock,” he reminds me. Nodding in response, I quietly slip out of the door and start heading out through the halls.

As cheerful as I made my exit look, there are dark clouds on the edge of my mind. That letter was post-marked a week ago, so it's been in his possession for a few days at least, but it hasn't been opened yet. Wherever it came from, the sender took enough care to choose a colorful envelope and write out the address in girlish script.

Exiting the dorm, I try not to think about it too much. Still, there's a nagging sense that I was supposed to find that letter by some cosmic happenstance. Whoever sent the letter, Hisao seems not to be interested in opening it, so, perhaps it's nothing important. It still makes me worry if he's keeping something from me – something important.

Who the heck is Iwanako?

Trying to push that question out of mind, I head up through the girls dorm and find the interlude visiting Hisao's shower was probably pointless; Amaya is nowhere to be seen. After a real shower, change and a few minutes spent clearing some of the clutter around my room, I'm glad for the distraction when Amaya knocks on my door. Looking despondent, but no more so than yesterday, she grunts a quick, “morning,” before walking away down the hall.

Her lethargic pace as we walk across campus seems to indicate a desire to discuss something along the way, but she keeps her head down; apparently lost in thought. Today, she manages to take her own seat next to the uncomfortable-looking Tadao, but still says nothing.

Their stark silence affords my thoughts the chance to wander, and they automatically drift back toward that strange letter on Hisao's desk. Little stepping between me and contemplation, I ponder what the letter could mean. Maybe it's just someone he forgot to mention sending well-wishes; like a cousin, or an aunt, or a classmate – or an ex-girlfriend.

Or a girlfriend? Okay, calm down... breathe!

Iwanako -whoever she is- seems to have put a lot of care into that letter, so it may be the only one she sent. Still, perhaps he's been corresponding with her since his time in the hospital, and this is just another letter among several. However, keeping something like that hidden doesn't seem like something Hisao would do, and, besides, if there were still someone back home who cared enough to write, then he would likely have been in a better mood upon coming here.

Who does that make her to him, then?

Thankfully, before I can ponder further, Ito barges in through the door, creating an effective distraction. Seeing his glance at our corner of the room, a relaxed smile spreads on his face; noticing the seating arrangement has returned to normal. The smile is short-lived as he throws his briefcase on his desk with a loud bang and turns his narrowed gaze out around the room, peeling his glasses off to wipe them with his shirt and sneering at the whole class – even me.

“Which one of you thinks the proper use for a banana is to shove it in your teacher's car's exhaust pipe?” he inquires, barking the words with disdain.

Looking around the room, there are a few stifled laughs, but nobody motions to confess. Several faces turn toward Jun and Toru, including my own, but their innocent expressions actually seem genuine. Looking around the rest of the room, nobody in particular appears to be taking credit for the prank, nor do any of them look in any way guilty.

“My wife had to drive me to work today,” he complains, “but I'm willing to forgive this whole incident if the person,” he glares at Jun and Toru, “or persons responsible,” he folds his arms and takes a calming breath, closing his eyes to let the anger flow away, “comes forward and admits to their transgression.”

Nobody moves, nor is a sound uttered. All eighteen pairs of eyes are locked on the pudgy, balding man as he awaits a response that doesn't seem forthcoming. Even the deaf students could hear a pin drop as we await the coming storm.

“Otherwise,” he stresses, casting his gaze back toward his desk, “I'll be forced to give you all the pre-test I wrote up last night while I was still angry enough to shove a pencil through the wall in my den.”

Most of the class groans, and a few of them shoot accusatory glances around the room, but none of them comes forward, still. Whomever executed the prank, we're all about to pay for it, apparently. Ito waits a good long minute to hold the suspense before digging the photo-copied tests out and handing them around the room. His stern expression looms over each student he passes, quietly assessing their reaction.

“You'll have until the end of class to finish,” Ito explains. “Don't disappoint me,” he adds with a frustrated grunt.

Flipping through the test, even I'm baffled by some of the complex equations on its pages, so I imagine most the rest of the class is completely stumped. Getting the sense from Ito that looking anywhere but at the test would be ill advised, I focus forward and forget what I was thinking about just moments prior to his arrival – for now, at least.

Skipping over the particularly puzzling problems, I focus on the fifteen or so that I know I can figure out easily. Once I've covered those, I start systematically working out the other ten, more challenging equations. Finishing early, with a half-hour to spare, I mull over my answers, but I feel confident enough to set my pencil down and wait out the last fifteen minutes. Waiting for Ito to ask for the tests to be handed forward, I put my head down; not daring to look around the room.

Thoughts of Hisao's letter from the mysterious Iwanako bubble back to the forefront of my mind, but I try to keep them innocuous. Maybe she's just a neighbor, or it's another class-project type of letter like the well-wishes he got in the hospital. It was laying out in plain sight, so he apparently didn't feel any need to keep it hidden; it's probably nothing important.

Why can't I stop thinking about it, then?

A light tapping on my shoulder breaks me out of the thoughts as Amaya passes her paper forward along with Sora's. Sitting up, I stack them with my own and hand them to Ito when he sweeps by my desk holding out his hand. There are still five minutes left before the next class, so I'm guessing he's going to lecture a bit before leaving.

“This is approximately what your final will look like, so keep that in mind,” Ito informs us, “if you're not confident with this little taste, you should probably consider focusing.” The timbre in his voice is completely different from his barking earlier; lighter, somehow, and full of sympathy rather than frustration. The chorus of groans don't seem to be noticing the change, but I'm not even sure he was really mad about anything when he came in this-morning.

“He's kidding, right?” I hear Amaya whisper. “I think my brains are melting after that nightmare,” she complains.

I sneak a glance at her and nod, replying confidently, “I'll help, don't worry.” Catching Tadao's perplexed expression, I smile and assure him, “you too.”

For the first time in three days, I see them look at each-other with surprisingly little enmity in their eyes. Amaya almost smiles, and Tadao almost loses the frown for a short moment. The brief glance doesn't last, and ends with Amaya sneering and Tadao looking away, but for a split second they agreed on something; I think they're ready for the real thing.

Amaya and Tadao, sitting in a shed... um... yeah, let's not go there.

Emi's implications put some spooky images in my head causing me to look away and quickly hide the blushing grimace on my face. When Miss Miyagi steps into the room, her beaming smile and bouncing braids are enough to snap me out of my dirty thoughts. Already feeling drained by the calculus quiz, the thought of focusing on English makes me cringe.

Longing for the days when Amaya and Tadao were on speaking terms and could offer assistance with this dastardly subject, I stare at Miyagi and try really hard to pretend like I'm understanding what she's talking about. Not knowing her very well -largely because I avoid her subject like the plague- I wonder if Miyagi is always this chipper or if it's just a show for her students. Whatever the reason, I think if I have to hear her stifled chuckle one more time, I might start pulling my own hair out.

The lunch bell rings and I'm suddenly very interested in getting out of the classroom. Deciding I can leave Amaya and Tadao to their own devices for a while, I head out in search of Hisao. Finding him in the hall near room 3-3, I sneak up behind him and grab his arm, hooking it in mine before he can protest. “Hey there, stranger,” I say with a wistful smile, “long time no see!”

“Funny meeting you here,” he says playfully. “Escaping the dungeon?” he inquires with a sardonic smirk.

“Yes, please,” I say, nodding and pulling him toward me, “it's a bit like being the Berlin wall.”

Chuckling at my reference, he nods and offers a confident smile. “It'll all be over soon,” he says.

“One way or another,” I reply.

Having both brought bagged lunches, we head up to the roof instead of the cafeteria. The midday sun beats mercilessly on the gravel roof, but there's a gentle breeze keeping that heat in check. Scanning around, I notice we aren't alone up here, as Emi and Rin have decided to seek out the solitude of the roof as well. We wave at them, but find our own spot to sit near the fence along the edge.

Sitting there quietly, we hardly say a word through the whole lunch period. My thoughts go back to the letter a few times, but, being in his presence, it hardly seems to matter. His eyes are fixed on me for most of the hour, and it makes me forget about any jealousy I may be harboring. It's silly, anyway, to be jealous of a name on a letter – it's not even a person.

Unless she plans to come here and meet him.

That's a bridge we'll cross when we come to it, I decide. For now, I don't need to know who Iwanako is -was- and I should really stop worrying; Hisao is worthy of my trust. Nothing I've seen in his character indicates that he'd be dishonest intentionally, unless it's a source of embarrassment - or secret weekend plans he's being evasive about. Hiding his heart condition and the reasons for his melancholy came from his desire to appear normal, to fit in, and not be treated differently; the same as Amaya. Badgering him about it would make me no better than Tadao.

That sobering thought makes me push the letter out of mind. Whatever it means, he'll tell me eventually. Leaning close to him, I rest my head on his shoulder as we sit against the fence and I stare dreamily at the clouds.

One of the passing cumulus clouds seems to take on the shape of an elephant and I point it out, exclaiming, “hey there's the elephant that was in the classroom all day!”

Bewildered by my sudden exclamation, he follows my pointing finger and grins stupidly. “That's not an elephant,” he corrects, “it's clearly an iguana.”

“Not that one!” I protest, “the one next to the iguana.”

“Oh, right... that one,” he agrees.

Placing a hand over his forehead to keep the sun from his eyes, he peers upward and I follow his eyes. Way up over our heads, there's a few cirrus clouds swimming through the sky in the shape of a shark. “Sky shark,” I comment, drawing some laughter from him.

As we're staring upward, I hear mechanical footfalls headed toward us, but I don't bother looking. A throaty voice asks, “you two planning to spend the whole day cloud-gazing?”

Breaking my eyes from the sky, I smile at Rin and reply, “no, just 'til lunch is over; care to join us?”

Emi bobs her head side to side, tossing her twin-tails around and smiling widely. “You two are adorable,” she compliments. Narrowing her eyes a little, she adds, “sneaky and adorable.”

Hisao nudges my arm and points toward another gathering of cirrus clouds, mentioning, “the shark just turned into a mermaid.” Glancing up I smile at the addition of a human-like body to the shark's tail.

Rin follows his eyes and twists around to get a better look. For a moment, I worry about her looking almost straight at the sun, but Emi quickly responds by using her hand as a shade. “Mermaid, huh?” Rin questions, forcing Emi to chase her gaze, “I wonder if those water vapors came from the ocean, then. Seems like some clouds choose to become land animals while others imitate sea creatures; maybe they just miss their homes.” Turning again, her knotted shirt-sleeves toss around as she spins, and Emi trails to keep her eyes shaded. “When it rains, does the water feel like it's headed up-river to spawn? Maybe more like down-river...”

“We're gonna get in out of the sun,” Emi says cheerily, nudging Rin's side with her elbow. “Don't do anything I wouldn't do,” she warns playfully.

Emi drags Rin away toward the exit while Hisao and I contemplate Rin's ramblings. Clouds taking the form of creatures from their place of origin sounds crazy enough, but water intentionally sailing into the heavens, collecting in clouds, then raining down in storms to rejoin the rivers, lakes and oceans from whence it came sounds even crazier. The concept is hopelessly romantic, though; it might even be poignant. Looking at each-other around the same instance, we both shake our heads and laugh.

The breeze having died down, the hot sun is starting to feel oppressive, so I nudge Hisao with my elbow and mention, “we ought to head back in.”

Nodding in agreement, Hisao stands and helps me up with an outstretched hand. Walking hand-in-hand, we head back inside and stop on the landing half way down the staircase leading to the third floor. The cool, air-conditioned air of the school building rushes over me, but I still feel warm looking into his eyes. Part of me wants to stay in this moment forever; gazing into his eyes and feeling this lightness – sudden lightness.

Overwhelming lightness.

My head rushes with a tingling sensation that flows down my neck and across my back as I start listing. Evidently the change in temperature and elevation is wreaking havoc, sending a tidal-wave of dizziness over me, and causing me to start falling backwards. Hisao's hand quickly pulls me toward him and I collapse against his chest, slipping downward as the wave of dizziness pulls the strength out of my knees.

“Aiko!” he calls, sounding worried. Smiling slightly, I try to reassure him, but the churning sensation in my abdomen forces me to grit my teeth and concentrate on not losing my lunch.

Slamming my eyes shut, I feel his erratic heartbeat quicken, and a wave of panic rushes over me, but I'm still too weak to try and protest. After a few seconds, I feel his hand come up under my elbow and I'm lowered to the floor while Hisao kneels beside me on the narrow landing.

Hearing the bell ring, I snap my eyes open and nearly leap backward as Hisao's face is just inches from my own. The look on his face is adorably concerned; his eyes darting around, his hand on my shoulder, and a question on his lips, “sorry, I don't know my own strength, I guess. Are you okay?”

Swooner powers activate!

“I will be,” I assure him. In response he sits down next to me and wraps his arm across my shoulder. Students start filtering up through the stairwell, but since we're half a flight up from their destinations, most of them don't even notice.

Breaking away from the crowd, Kenta notices. He's seen me after a bad dizzy spell before, so he reads my pale expression and quickly deduces what happened. Taking a few hobbling steps up, he smiles and inquires, “this guy bothering you, Aiko?”

“Not at the moment, no,” I reply, glancing over to see Hisao smirking. Wearing a concerned look, Kenta stays close-by as my head swims with waves of uncomfortable numbness. Swallowing hard and taking a few deep breaths, the numb sensation slowly dissipates and my churning stomach calms.

After a few moments, I manage to meet Kenta's concerned look with a smile and I notice he's eying Hisao. “Oh, sorry,” I offer, my voice still caught in my throat, “this is Hisao Nakai, he's my pillow for today.” Leaning against Hisao's shoulder as I say that, I see Kenta grin widely.

Reaching up with his good hand, Kenta nods at Hisao and introduces himself, “Kenta Tomiya.” He follows up with a question, “you're the new guy, right?”

He must be the last one who doesn't know.

Hisao takes his hand in a firm shake and replies, “yeah, I guess.”

Watching Hisao's reaction, he looks suitably bewildered by Kenta's appearance. The boy's left arm, appearing shriveled and useless, is held tightly against his side while his right leg is similarly shrunken, causing him to hobble when he walks. Both are rather obvious, and the look on Hisao's face clearly displays his curiosity. Realizing he's staring, he withdraws his hand and glances at me, looking embarrassed.

“Oh don't bother asking her,” Kenta chides, “she can't even pronounce it.” Frowning in mock-disdain at his sarcastic insult, I roll my eyes and shake my head, but leave him to explain. “Cerebral Palsy,” he says flatly, “it's not as bad as the name sounds.” Like Tadao, Kenta is usually quick to describe his disability.

Hisao pales, and starts to reply, “I didn't mean-”

“S'ok, everyone always wonders,” Kenta interjects dismissively. “This one over here likes to toy with people,” he says, motioning toward me, “but at least I know I look totally screwed up – she's in denial.”

Offering him a sardonic smirk for his continued sarcasm, I shake my head and lean more heavily against Hisao. “Can you let Mutou know I'll be a little late?” I request of the sarcastic gimp.

“No problem,” he says, turning to walk -hobble- down the steps, ”I better get headed there.” At the bottom, he turns back and winks, “if you're gonna play hooky to make out, you should find a more private spot; wouldn't want there to be rumors spreading around!”

Hisao blushes furiously, but I'm used to Kenta's antics. “Vamoose, Elf Lord,” I retort, “and no editorializing!”

“Wouldn't dream of it!” he says with a sardonic grin. Pushing through the door, I can hear him whistling as his arrhythmic footfalls echo through the emptied halls.

“Elf Lord?” Hisao inquires, smirking at me sidelong.

Smiling, I reply, “you don't wanna know.” Feeling one last wave of dizziness run over my head, I reach up and rub my temple. Smiling at his worried look, I give a slight shake of my head to indicate that I'm alright. “Gotta live up to your name once in a while, Swooner,” I remark, laughing heartily.

Nodding as the second bell sounds, he makes no motion to stand. Instead he smiles at me and asks, “you ready to go back?”

The dizzy spell having passed, I feel fine, but I don't think I want to go back yet. Shaking my head slowly, I want a few more minutes in his kind company before going back. Sitting in the empty stairwell, listening to our steady breathing, I just want to enjoy his presence for a few more minutes.

“Thanks for the fast catch,” I say after a long silence. “You're pretty good at that,” I mention. Smirking suspiciously, I add, “or you just know when it's gonna happen.”

“My pleasure,” he replies, grinning widely.

Getting up, I stretch my arms and smile. Wondering if I might get a sympathy hint, I look at him sidelong and ask, “so where are we going this-weekend?”

Shaking his head, he returns a little laugh and replies, “nice try.”

Pouting, I start trudging down the stairs. “Fine,” I say, “just know I may be bringing more friends along.” Not giving him a chance to retort, I head through the door and walk briskly back to my classroom, glancing back a few times to giggle at his bewildered expression.

Mutou nods at me as I enter, and I catch Kenta's knowing smirk as I walk to my desk where Amaya and Tadao are both wearing concerned expressions. “Swooner strikes again,” I explain to them as I sit down. Both offer smiling nods, but the grim expressions return quickly. Their melancholy, however, is less effective at getting me down after spending lunch with Hisao.

Instead of wrapping myself in worries over their woes, I think about the life-cycle of rain, being caught after another swoon by Hisao, and introducing him to Kenta. Both being science geeks, I think he and Hisao would get along great. Maybe I'll invite him along for the weekend, too; Yoko seemed to like him, after all, and I miss warring with his incessant sarcasm.

Keeping those thoughts in mind, classes pass by much less painfully, and I actually pay attention to old Mrs. Owaku's lecture on the history of the Kempeitai. Having listened to Mom's retelling of her grandfather's involvement with the defunct organization, I find myself having more than a passing interest. Their brutality of their practices is somewhat appalling, but my great-grandfather was barely out of his teens when he joined, and it was dissolved less than a year later; moving to Italy with his new wife.

Recalling all that makes me feel like my own recent tribulations are a trifling thing to behold, and I feel humbled to know how very different things have become in the past seventy years. When the last bell rings, I gather up my bag and nod toward Amaya. She responds with a slight grin and follows me closely back to the dorm. Checking the time, I make sure to keep myself distracted for a while to waste time and make sure we're headed for the tennis court just around four o'clock.

Changing into my gym outfit, I head out at quarter to four to knock on Amaya's door. “Be right out~!” she says cheerily.

“Good news is,” I say as she opens the door, “I already had my swoon for today, so I might be able to stay upright.”

Hearing her giggle and seeing her look more like her usual cheerful self, I can't help but feel happy. Wearing the school gym outfit, she looks a little uncomfortable, but the competitive look in her eyes as she toys with her racket is endearing. She's going to hate me for a few hours after what I have planned, at least, so I smile at her oblivious cheerfulness.

Walking and talking lightly, I lead Amaya across the track where there are a few students taking advantage of the shade from the fruit trees to wile away the afternoon. Passing shed, I measure out half the distance to the tennis court and look at my watch. Seeing there's a few minutes to spare, I stop and kneel to tie the shoe I left untied.

When there's a slight vibration coming from my pocket -Hisao's signal via text message- I glance up at Amaya and frown. “Hey I don't have a racket, can you go grab one for me from the shed?” I ask, keeping a straight face. Selling it by looking down to continue fiddling with my shoe, I hear her grunt an affirmation and then watch as she jogs back toward the shed.

Standing, I follow slowly behind, watching for Hisao and Tadao to make their appearance. As Amaya walks into the shed, I slip behind a tree. Peering around it, I watch Hisao nudging Tadao toward the shed, playfully asking him to fetch a basketball. Not being able to hear the exchange from this distance, I can only assume what's being said, but it seems to be working. Agreeing with a nod, Tadao heads for the shed and I give Hisao a thumbs up from around the tree.

Seeing my signal, he heads over behind Tadao and, once he's inside, closes the door, slipping the key in the lock as I step out and start jogging over, grinning wickedly. Backing away from the door, Hisao smirks at me and then winces as a frustrated yell escapes from within. “Dude, you locked me in?” Tadao sounds worried, but a moment later there's a shriek.

Amaya yells, “what the hell are you doing here!?”

“Me?” Tadao sounds equally displeased, “don't look at me, Ams, I think we've been had.”

Taking that as my cue to explain, I remark, “you two need to talk.”

“Aiko!” Amaya blurts, “lemme outta here, right now! Or so help me, I'll-”

Cutting off her threat, I admonish, “this isn't about me, it's about your silly dispute! We have the keys, and, until you come to some kind of agreement, you're not getting out of there.”

“What if I decide to beat him to death with a baseball bat?” she retorts.

Ignoring her empty threat, I add, “if you wanna complain, talk to Tadao. Hisao and I are gonna take a walk.”

“There's a cooler in the back with water,” Hisao explains, “try not to kill each-other.”

“Don't leave me in here with him, dammit!” Amaya protests as Hisao steps over to wrap an arm around my waist. She continues making idle threats and calling us names, but we expected as much; and the sooner they realize we've left, the better. Walking away toward the bleachers on the other side of the track, as planned, her cries calling me a “meddling traitor” or “dysfunctional malcontent” and, my personal favorite, “the queen bitch of the universe,” are ignored.

I'm pretty sure that last one's from a movie.

Looking around at the mostly empty fields, I see a few looks directed at the shed from our perch on the bleachers, but nobody bothers to inquire what's happening. Every so often, for the first half-hour, we hear raised voices -even Tadao's- drifting across the field, though what they're saying is drowned out by the distance.

Eventually the screaming stops and it's mostly quiet for a while, but we're not fooled by a lull. Hisao and I look over a few times and consider checking on them, but there's a part of me repeatedly quashing my curiosity; I don't want to disturb them. Our directive was to get them in a room, not influence their discussion. If Amaya's admittance of the possibility that her argument is silly serves as any kind of indicator, I'm not worried that they'll work it out.

Not until after they're done screaming at each-other, though.

Sitting there with Hisao, we're largely silent ourselves. Both of us try to keep distracted by looking around at the various students that come by, but we're too wrapped up in worry to talk. Miki stops by to ask us what's going on when she comes out for her evening run, but neither of us provides her with an adequate explanation. She leaves looking a little disappointed and curious, waving cheerfully, but squinting at us suspiciously.

With the sun starting to dip toward the horizon, we remain seated and waiting patiently. The one problem with our plan is that we really don't know when they'll be finished. Neither of us thought to bug the room somehow -Kenji would have thought of that- though that would have been against my non-interference plan. Instead all we can really do is sit and wait, hoping when we decide to finally check, they'll have reached some kind of agreement.

When stars start appearing behind the blue veil and the sun begins casting a bright red gleam across the horizon, I finally ask, “you think it's been long enough?”

Checking his watch, Hisao replies, “four hours later; they're either out of breath, sitting on opposite sides of the room, tittering like they used to, or one of them is bludgeoned to death while the other cries in a corner.”

“Let's hope it's not the last one, at least,” I say, standing up and beckoning him to follow.

Marching quickly across the track, we slow our approach when we get near the little wooden building so they can't hear our footfalls, but I think it's more nerves than stealth. When we get within a few feet of the door, Hisao hands me the key and I walk up slowly. Listening for any kind of motion or voices from the inside, I'm unable to hear anything telling.

Deciding to knock first, I'm concerned when there's no answer. Knocking a second time, I also inquire, “Amaya? Tadao?”

No answer, not even a groan or a shuffle or anything indicating they're even still inside. We weren't actually able to see the door from the bleachers, but we have the only other key and none of the staff has been by all day. They must still be inside, but they aren't answering for some reason.

Suddenly feeling panicked, I shove the key into the lock and pull the door open a crack, holding out my hand, motioning for Hisao to stay back. Taking a tentative step across the threshold, the interior is rather dark and gloomy, but it isn't a bloody mess; that's an encouraging thought, at least. Still holding my hand behind me to ward off Hisao's approach, I take another step inside and scan the darkness for any movement.

Hearing soft snoring, a yelp catches in my throat as I look down at the dimly lit floor. Barely recognizable in the darkness, lying on a small pile of workout mats, there is a bare leg lit by the shaft of light from the door. Following its form upward, I note that it's wrapped around another leg, which is also naked and much larger; though narrower. Above the two legs there are two naked human forms wrapped around each-other in a sleepy embrace.

…!?

Quickly stepping back out through the door, eyes widening, face paling, and cheeks blushing, I bump into Hisao and yelp loudly. Snapping a hand over my mouth, I slam the door closed and lean against it heavily. Looking into Hisao's eyes, I see curiosity and worry etched on his features, but I'm too embarrassed by what I've just seen to say anything intelligible.

A voice from within the shed breaks the pall of silence, “what was that?” Tadao has never sounded more tired or content in my life.

Atta girl, Amaya! Wait, no, dammit! Bad images! Out!

“Shut up, it's nothing,” I hear Amaya say groggily. “Come back here~!” she adds playfully.

God, I hope they didn't see me.

Raising an eyebrow after hearing their brief exchange, Hisao looks me straight in the eyes. Trying to suppress a giggle, I bite my lip and grab his arm, walking quickly and quietly a few comfortable meters away from the shed so I can get control over my breathing. Closing my eyes, I find my vision is filled with unwanted images, so I open them again and look blankly at Hisao. “I think they made up,” I say cryptically, adding a shrug for emphasis.

Seeing my flustered expression, and the reaction I had to acquiring that information, he looks disappointed at the brevity of my explanation, but he doesn't press me with questions. “Good,” he says. Apparently gleaning some assumptions from my reaction, he inquires, “should we come back later?”

“Yes,” I reply quickly, adding, “and never mention we came back this early.”

For my sake if not for theirs.

Taking his hand, I lead us back toward the bleachers. Once we're far enough out of earshot, I can't stop the bubbling giggle from erupting out of me. Sinking down to the ground, I'm completely overcome with infectious giddy laughter that Hisao catches, following me down to sit on his knees on the grassy paddock in the middle of the track.

Feeling the weight lifting off my shoulders as I laugh, I think back over the past few days and wonder aloud, “I was so worried, and now I don't know why.” He doesn't respond with words, just his eyes.

Our plan worked, apparently, and I'm thoroughly relieved. Though the exact results are something I hope never gets brought up, it seems all they really needed was some time alone to sort out their differences. My worry about their possible future hang-ups is pushed away by the mirth that continues giggling out of me while we watch the sun fall under the horizon. Nightfall brings a close to the last thee days of melancholy, worry and introspective guilt.

Watching the far edges of the field, I see dancing lights flit between the darkened underbrush -fireflies out for their evening rounds- and smile inwardly. Hisao nudges my shoulder and offers a questioning smirk. Remembering the days at my uncle's beach-house, I turn and grin. “Fireflies remind me of summers by the ocean,” I explain, “my uncle owns a beach-side haunt and we used to spend a few weeks there every year.”

Laughing nervously, he looks away toward the shed and remarks, “well that explains it.”

What the heck does that look mean?

“Explains what?” I inquire. Seeing his evasive eyes looking away, I wonder aloud, “what are you planning?”

Smiling back at me, he shrugs and stands. “Never-mind, let's go get them out of there,” he says, changing the subject. Taking his outstretched hand, he pulls me to my feet and leads us back to the shed.

Approaching less stealthily, I call out ahead of us, “did you two kill each-other yet?”

“Kind of, but not really,” Amaya's cryptically cheerful response is accompanied by Tadao's mirthful chuckle.

Innuendo. Cute.

Playing dumb, I reply, “you've come to an agreement then?”

“We came to something,” Tadao retorts.

Rolling my eyes, I glance sidelong at Hisao and see he's catching on to the suggestive conversation. Wanting this to be over before my face lights on fire, I quickly step over and fake unlocking the door – having forgotten to re-lock it previously.

“Everybody out,” I command.

On her way by, Amaya swiftly kicks my shin, causing me to wince and nod. Grimacing, I acknowledge, “I deserved that.”

“Thanks,” Amaya says sweetly, patting my shoulder. Walking over toward Hisao, he recoils, but she wraps him in a hug. “You two are quite the team,” she says, breaking the hug and looking back at me.

Tadao adds, “they swim in synch, so I've seen; such that it's hard to see who leads.”

“Tennis, though?” Amaya balks, holding her racket at me suspiciously. “I should have suspected something was up,” she concludes. Batting Hisao's back lightly with the racket, she leans toward him and whispers something. His reaction is a swift nod and an affirming whisper, but neither of them motions to explain the exchange.

Walking over to Tadao, she drops the racket and takes both his hands, pulling him toward her. Averting my eyes, they share a kiss that ends with her shoving him away and twirling around to grab the racket. “C'mon, Aiko, we have a guest list to proof,” she says cryptically as she starts walking toward the dorms.

Glancing at Hisao, he just shrugs at me and shakes his head; apparently sworn to secrecy. Tadao pats my shoulder as I walk by, and I turn to see his thankful expression. “Thanks,” he whispers, “that's twice now.”

“Just once,” I whisper in correction, “you tried with the study-thing, remember?”

Bowing slightly he straightens up and lightly punches my arm before stepping over to do the same to Hisao. “This one owes me at least five now,” he comments.

Hisao looks at him with a crooked smirk and protests, “I think I made up for a couple of those with this.”

Amaya's distant yell breaks us out of the one-upping, “get your butt over here, we only have a few days!”

Rolling my eyes at Tadao, I chase after her. Feeling happy at the peaceful resolution, the conspiracy she's describing doesn't have me worried. Judging from the cryptic whisper to Hisao, and her mention of it being something in a few days, I imagine it's about the mysterious weekend plans. Perhaps I can weasel out of her what they are, but it seems she just wants to find out who to bring along; a three-day weekend is an event worth sharing, especially with finals coming soon.

Time to stop worrying and have some fun.

Having long-since established the advice I write here, please don't make me repeat myself(yes, I know that actually took longer to write than just saying to read the story first... ah Goddammit!):
Closing up some wounds and opening others; it's what I do this for. Amaya and Tadao have reconnected... so to speak... and I've added a note of discord to Aiko and Hisao's future relations. Also decided to establish that Aiko has known Kenta for a while; he just hasn't come up in the story 'til now.

Future chapters will be short on drudgery. Couldn't stay in the maudlin zone forever. The 3-day weekend is barreling its way into the story in the very near future, and I have big plans... big plans. Aiko will be kept in the dark, though, so that means you'll be kept in the dark... no peeking at my notes! Wait, y'all can't see my notes unless you're in... my... HOUSE!

...?

Right, yeah, nobody here but me and the elephant. Orliphunt?

Watch out next Friday!
Last edited by Helbereth on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JTemby

Re: Tomorrow's Doom - Aiko Kurai (OC) Updated 8/10

Post by JTemby »

I love your writing, blah blah blah...
I would of been content with this chapter if you had just made them talk it out in the shed, but you had to go and not only throw the unexpected at my face, blowing my mind but also make me laugh my ass off.
You never fail to remind me why I like you so much, every chapter.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

JTemby wrote:you had to go and not only throw the unexpected at my face, blowing my mind but also make me laugh my ass off.
I was expecting it. Still laughed my ass off.

Glad you put the bit about Aiko forgetting to lock the door after her discovery. Nice attention to details.

Now, when is Hisao going to get around to reading that letter? In the VN, it usually serves to help him make peace with his former life. But does this Hisao need that? As far as Aiko—and by extension us—can tell, Hisao's all right with his life now.

Still, I look forward to Hisao telling Aiko who Iwanako is.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Lumi

Post by Lumi »

Another excellent chapter! Keep up the good work and you may earn yourself some fanart from me! :D

I'm a writer and artist for the new visual novel project Learn to Be. Check it out!
http://learntobevisualnovel.blogspot.com/
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

“You just missed Emi.”
This story is now officially my favourite story around here.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
YourFavAnon

Post by YourFavAnon »

Your wit and seamless writing is still as impressive as ever. As always, fantastic chapter and I cannot wait for the next one.
I write things occasionally.

Dumps of my 35+ fics can be found here and here (including some non-KS stuff).
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

JTemby wrote:I love your writing, blah blah blah...
Ad nauseum.
JTemby wrote:I would of been content with this chapter if you had just made them talk it out in the shed, but you had to go and not only throw the unexpected at my face, blowing my mind but also make me laugh my ass off.
I'm glad I went for that, then; I almost cut that back to a more G-rated affair. Then I remembered about how I'd referenced it already and thought, "totally worth it."
JTemby wrote:You never fail to remind me why I like you so much, every chapter.
I still feel like I dunno what I'm doin', though, jsyk.
griffon8 wrote:I was expecting it. Still laughed my ass off.
I actually wasn't, I think I mentioned that.
griffon8 wrote:Glad you put the bit about Aiko forgetting to lock the door after her discovery. Nice attention to details.
She was too flustered to even think of it, and, after 4 hours, the two of them didn't bother checking. Or, at least they played along... could really go either way.
griffon8 wrote:Now, when is Hisao going to get around to reading that letter? In the VN, it usually serves to help him make peace with his former life. But does this Hisao need that? As far as Aiko—and by extension us—can tell, Hisao's all right with his life now.

Still, I look forward to Hisao telling Aiko who Iwanako is.
Mwahaha~!
Lumi wrote:Another excellent chapter! Keep up the good work and you may earn yourself some fanart from me! :D
By all means. I kinda wanted to get an image of Aiko out there sooner, but my tablet was on the fritz for weeks (ok, I was too distracted to bother reloading the software), and my sketches have all the artistic quality of a kindergarten doodle.
Mirage_GSM wrote:
“You just missed Emi.”
This story is now officially my favourite story around here.
Ah, yes, I love quips like that. When they hit right, they just work so nicely.

I humbly hope I can maintain that level of praise.
YourFavAnon wrote:Your wit and seamless writing is still as impressive as ever. As always, fantastic chapter and I cannot wait for the next one.
I carefully turn the blame for my wit at my Dad, and the seamless writing to -wait, what?- *reads again* that must be a typo.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Just try not to introduce some construed conflict for conflict's sake.
I'm perfectly happy to watch this story spin along without watching them fight over something not really worth fighting for.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Just try not to introduce some construed conflict for conflict's sake.
I'm perfectly happy to watch this story spin along without watching them fight over something not really worth fighting for.
Stupid conflicts should only show up if the people involved are being stupid about it - which, on some level, is what happened with Amaya and Tadao.

Being about half way through Act 3, from here on it's more like a game of dominoes; watching (writing) things I set up ages ago begin falling into place. The other, smaller, peripheral conflicts will start to fall away toward resolution soon.

I have a few other things to hit on by the time this is over, but, with all that working, I don't think I'll need to invent any perfunctory conflicts. I do have one more major conflict to bring to the front lines, but it's operative is to fuel Act 4.

That in mind, I'm beginning to wonder if I might end up writing epilogues. I don't know if I want to, though. Part of me wants to define the post-story events, but I also want to leave it for the reader to decide.

Bleh... That's a while away at least.
Lumi

Post by Lumi »

The idea of releasing one part every Friday is really good. It will make the weekends even better than they are now ^-^

I'm really curious as to what the next major conflict in the plot will be. And on that note, this is the first fanfic I've seen that uses Iwanako's letter in it. So kudos on that.

Excellent writing, bro.

I'm a writer and artist for the new visual novel project Learn to Be. Check it out!
http://learntobevisualnovel.blogspot.com/