Meanwhile I wait [Hisao x original character]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

nemz

Re: Meanwhile I wait [Hisao x original character]

Post by nemz »

There must be some statistical algorithm to help him them avoid each other.
“I don't have your number,” she says. “That's fine with me. But if Atsuko's mum comes here first, I thought I'd give you a ring. You know, so you don't walk around forever.”
Clever girl. Mwahahaha.
“Excuse me,” says a worried-looking woman. “Did you perhaps come from the park?”

“The park? Yes, that's where I came from.”
Also, this whole passage has really oddly stiff wording.
Hisao nods. “A friend is taking care of her.
Everyone does their best.
Yeah, ouch. This part is pretty good, though I'm suprised Hisao is being so aware of his own pronoun choices. Better to just let them happen and allow the reader to notice the implications, I think.
“You have no idea how hard it was to constrain myself. You don't grab me like that. Ever.”
Ooookay then, noted. That really deserves more probing at some point though.
I suffer from sleep paralysis, and I'm threatened by Sudden Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome.
...which is a really strange thing for a Japanese girl to have since it's only commonly found to occur among young males of the Hmong culture. I saw that episode of House too. :D
“I wondered when you'd ask. 'Atsuko' is me. 'Miyako' is the name my mum gave me. But 'Atsuko' is a name I chose for myself.
This is beyond weird. If she was planning on having some sort of future as an actress rather than just waiting to die it would make sense as a stage name maybe, but otherwise? Bizarre.
Why doesn't he get closer to those who are kind to him?
It's just too much of a bother to change, if I mightnot even live to see success.”
“I'll be dead soon enough,” she says. “Meanwhile I wait.”
Well that's bloody depressing.

I'm still not sure what to make of this character. She's like some wild hybrid of Shizune, Rin and Rika, but then again not at all.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Miya continues to be quite the peculiar character. I'm still having difficulty picturing her in my head to be honest.

I like how you explored the idea of Hisao pushing his own friends away; throughout the VN he seems to attribute it as their fault, but making it his own seems to do more for character development. And, as it would seem, that is the very thing that connects him to Miya.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Thanks for the comments. :)
nemz wrote:I'm still not sure what to make of this character. She's like some wild hybrid of Shizune, Rin and Rika, but then again not at all.
Mahorfeus wrote:Miya continues to be quite the peculiar character. I'm still having difficulty picturing her in my head to be honest.
I was sort of worried she's become too predictable. In another way, I'm worried she'll remain too incomprehensible. And in yet another way, part of her probably needs to stay a mystery.
nemz wrote:...which is a really strange thing for a Japanese girl to have since it's only commonly found to occur among young males of the Hmong culture. I saw that episode of House too. :D
There's a House episode? I googled the symptoms I wanted to find a condition that fit her; I had to modify her character a bit.

She's definitely a statistical outlier (she's also "too young"), but while researching that collection symptoms I got the impression that nobody really knows much about this. There's a Japanese name "pokkuri disease" that may describe something similar with a different focus. Researching this I felt like stumbling into a tangle of venn-diagrams, with lots of different terms. There are few precise terms; "Brugada Symdrome" is an example (which has a genetic component).

I was wondering whether I should really have her suffer from this (partly because with me not being an expert it's easy to mythologise the disease), but it just fit too well. It's like passing up a winning lottery ticket.
nemz wrote:Better to just let them happen and allow the reader to notice the implications, I think.
I made all the fixes you suggested, except for this. I actually agree with you, but I've decided on a policy of "no content changes" for this thread.
nemz wrote:This is beyond weird. If she was planning on having some sort of future as an actress rather than just waiting to die it would make sense as a stage name maybe, but otherwise? Bizarre.
Hehe. Part 2 will go into this.
Mahorfeus wrote:I like how you explored the idea of Hisao pushing his own friends away; throughout the VN he seems to attribute it as their fault, but making it his own seems to do more for character development. And, as it would seem, that is the very thing that connects him to Miya.
I've been trying to deal with the things the VN addresses but ultimately ignores: bullying, death, pushing people away... There's a very real danger that they're not good for each other. A "love story" between them would feel much like a suicide pact. Not even I am sure how much this story could be called a romance, and I'm writing it. It's not the core of the story.
Barabbas

Post by Barabbas »

Hey, welcome back!

Just a quick post to thank you for another well-written chapter. This is one of my favorite fan fictions, because I think you're doing something very good both with the game characters and with Miyako.
While you said you're struggling writing a fanfic, you've shown a great insight into the game characters, even Hisao, and to me that's what matters the most: i.e. the scene in I.4 perfectly showed Hisao being ill-at-ease when dealing with Shizune and Misha, and that reminded me of both his shenanigans in chapter 1, and my own dislike at the Council girls' attitude. It "resonated", so to speak.
About Miyako: while it may be too soon to talk on a character development standpoint, I think she's a great example of a character you can love or hate, but you can't ignore. Plus, she's not a cardboard cutout of a "difficult" character, but up to now she has shown a lot of "not artificial" depth. Balance in such characters is something very complex to achieve, so you deserve a lot of praise for that.

Thanks again! I hope that, in the end, this fan fiction will be something not only us readears, but also you (as a writer) have really enjoyed.
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Barabbas wrote:Thanks again! I hope that, in the end, this fan fiction will be something not only us readears, but also you (as a writer) have really enjoyed.
Thanks for your reply. I actually worry more about my readers than about myself, because the writing is rewarding in itself, and you learn from the things you mess up, too. The experience of writing fan fiction is... interesting. I worry the least when writing Rin, and the most when writing Misha and Shizune. Hisao can be frustrating, but I don't worry as much since he was quite different in the various routes anyway, so one more variation doesn't hurt that much (which doesn't mean I can't still mess up, heh).
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

For story-post navigation please refer to the index post.

I.6. Fireworks

Time flies when your having fun. When you're bored it crawls. When you're spacing out, it disappears. Hisao cannot tell how long they have been sitting under this tree, when his stomach growls.

“Hungry?” asks Miya.

Embarrassed, Hisao turns away. “A bit.” He checks his pockets and finds he has brought his wallet. “Is there somewhere we can eat? I can't afford a restaurant, but some snack at a café should be possible. Want to go? It's on me.”

“You're paying?” She sounds sceptical.

“That's what I said.” He pauses, suspicious. “Don't bankrupt me, though.”

“You're paying for your own food. And then for mine, too?”

“That's the plan. Is that so strange?”

“Actually, I'm surprised. It doesn't really matter whether you mean it or not, though, since I'm not going to accept.” She is staring straight ahead, avoiding his eyes.

“Oh, come on. No false modesty.”

At that, she turns to face him. How can these narrowing eyes have become so familiar in so short a time?. “Do I look modest to you? I assure you I take what I can get with no sense of guilt.”

“Then why...”

“There's exactly one suitable place in town. I'll lead you there, and then I'm off. I'm not going in there. Most certainly not today.”

“You want me to eat alone?” The words come out on their own. They puzzle him. Didn't he go into town precisely to be alone?

She shakes her head. “Most people would prefer being alone to being with me.” She sighs, looks up, perhaps to avoid his eyes. “And that's sort of the point. There's a good possibility that you won't be alone, and I'd be... less than welcome. Look, I'm fairly relaxed today, and I'd like it to stay that way. That's not going to happen, though, if I run into...”

Hisao waits, but she doesn't finish her sentence. “Into?”

“Oh, folks. We're not the only ones who dislike crowds.” She stretches, then jumps to her feet. “Fine. Follow me. We'll both go in, but if we meet anyone either of us knows then I'm out. And you stay.” She pauses, then adds, “The waitress doesn't count. The waitress is okay.”

The waitress is okay? But Miya takes off at a speed that makes it impossible for Hisao to ask. He needs his breath to keep up.

“I'd never have found this place by myself,” Hisao says. The façade doesn't look like much. At some places the pinkish-orangey paint is peeling. It's called the Shanghai. There's a token paper lantern. “It's sort of... hidden.”

Miya grins. “It would be an insider tip, if it were anything out of the ordinary. It isn't. But as I said, it's the only suitable place. It's fairly cheap, and it's not too crowded.”

Hisao frowns at the paper lantern. “How do they make money, then?”

“Maybe they don't? I suspect it's a tax-write-off scheme.” She takes a deep breath, takes a step forward. “Shall we?”

“Let's.”

Miya opens the door, but then holds it open. “You first.”

Hisao is embarrassed by the gender role reversal, but he is in no mood to argue. He steps through the doorway. The lights inside are dim, or so it seems. The evening sun causes purple spots to dance before his eyes, as its remnants fade. It's like going blind. He blinks, and the world of vision returns, but he's dizzy. He closes his eyes to rub them.

“Welcome to th- Miya?”

“Shirakawa.”Miya's voice.

“And... Hisao? You're not alone? I'm surprised. Anyway, um...”

What's going on? Hisao opens his eyes. Yuuko?

“Where?” Miya asks.

Completely at a loss Hisao watches Yuuko fidget, before she turns her head slightly. Miya's gaze follows the direction then freezes. She closes her eyes, lowers her head. “As expected,” she mumbles. Then, louder: “Another time, then.”

“Have a nice day,” Yuuko says, and the door falls shut behind Miya.

For a moment, Hisao can do nothing but stare at the door. What has just happened? He turns to face Yuuko. The surprise to see her in a waitress uniform is still there, but it's not foremost on his mind. A moment ago he was Miya, and now she's gone. Miya and Yuuko know each other, which isn't all that surprising, but they seem to be on speaking terms, which is.

“Um...” Yuuko begins. “Welcome to the Shanghai. Or maybe you want to leave, too? Or should I show you to a table? Do you want to sit alone, or maybe...” She falls silent and looks down. Apparently, she's feeling awkward to. Well, it's Yuuko, but in this case...

“You know Miya?” Hisao says to buy time.

“Well... yes. I warn her if there's anyone she might... know. Like... um... Lilly.”

Lilly is here? Doesn't she have things to do at the festival? Hisao looks into the gloom of the café and suddenly finds himself at the end of the fierce gaze of... Hanako? Beside her there's Lilly, and she's talking. He hears the sound of her voice but is too far away to make out details. Hanako snaps out of whatever mood she is in, fails to hide her shock, hunches her shoulders, looks down. Lilly is confused.

Even in his confusion, Hisao understands that the most likely source of Hanako's agitation is Miya. And now it becomes clear why Miya left in such a hurry. Hanako and Miya have met, and they are not on speaking terms. For a moment he imagines their clash, and he feels ashamed for having entered with her. Then, almost immediately, he feels ashamed for this shame. He thinks of leaving, but if he does so now, he will never talk to either of them again.

“I'll be joining Lilly and Hanako,” he says to Yuuko, then adds: “Maybe. If I do sit down, could you bring me a cup of coffee and... do you have anything to eat? A katsudon sandwich maybe?”

“We have Western style sandwiches. A ham-and-cheese sandwich maybe? Or a coleslaw sandwich?”

“Western style? But it's the Shang- nevermind. A cheese-and-ham sandwich please.” And he walks off towards Lilly's and Hanako's table.

For the third time: “Hanako?”

Finally, a reaction. Lilly hears Hanako shift in her seat than settle down. But she still doesn't reply. Lilly hates unexpected situations. They are too hard to navigate. Saying Hanako's name a fourth time seems wrong, now that she has reacted. It is best to wait for her reaction. Maybe prod her with a gentle “What's-wrong?” if it takes too long. But maybe the situation will go off in a different direction on its own? Is that... Hisao's voice by the door? Two people have come in, one has left immediately. The situation begins to form in Lillys head. Hisao has come here with that other girl, Kitagawa. No doubt Kitagawa and Hanako have spotted each other. Kitagawa has left, but Hisao has stayed behind.

Lilly lifts her tea cup to her mouth, sips. She takes her time, waiting for the situation to unfold. She cannot take the imitative until she has good grasp of the situation. Unexpected and ambiguous situations are difficult. It's like someone placing a box somewhere in your living room without telling you where. You have to proceed carefully in an environment you thought you knew.

Finally: “Hello, Lilly. Hanako. What a surprise to see you here. Can I sit down?”

“I don't see why not,” Lilly says, ostensibly leaving an opening for Hanako to object. Of course, she won't. “It has been a while. I was wondering whether you might have forgotten about us.” She pauses, then, hoping her drawn out banter has provided enough preparation time for her silent friend: “Hanako?”

“S-sure.”

The sound of a chair shuffling. Hisao sits down. And nobody speaks. Just as Lilly is about to initiate some small talk, Hanako speaks:

“I'm s-sorry.” The words are directed towards Hisao. There is a silence that reveals nothing at all. Finally:

“You've done nothing wrong.”

“B-but she left. Because of m-me.”

“It's okay. I get to be with Lilly and you, instead.”

What a charming thing to say! Lilly smiles. She expects Hanako to be caught off-guard by this, so she's already looking for a conversation topic, but Hanako surprises her.

“B-but didn't you want to be with... her?”

Oh? This is very straightforward for Hanako. For the first time, Lilly wonders whether Hanako is aware of her jealousy after all. Careful now. A lot depends on Hisao's reply. Neither, “yes” nor “no” would be a good reply. In the case of “yes,” Not only would Hanako be faced with the worst possible rival, but she might also start to re-evaluate her image of Hisao: What sort of boy doesn't chase after the girl he wants to be with? A “no” is potentially worse: he comes here with a girl he doesn't particularly want to be with. What then does that say about the time he spent with Hanako? Both yes and no, then re-inforce Hanako's conclusion: Hisao's basic kindness gives him a sense of obligation to be with the broken ones. But he doesn't particularly care. Anyone will do. Hisao is not like that at all, and if Hanako weren't so focussed on her own perceived inadequacy she'd realise that, too.

“I don't know. She confuses me.”

Hanako doesn't reply to that, but this time it's Hisao who picks up the thread.

“You... know her, right? Not just from... rumours?”

Another silence. “I hate her,” she says, and there's not a single stutter. “I hate her very much.” She calms down, the stutter returns. “I d-don't want to, but I d-do.” A short pause. “S-sorry.”

“Oh, I can understand hating her,” Hisao says. “But she's not all mean. I mean, today she helped a lost child find her mother. I was quite surprised. She can smile, you know? I didn't know she could. She can say terrible things, but I don't think she means harm. Not always.”

“I N-know.”

Oh, what Lilly would give to be able to see Hisao's expression. The confusion in his voice is obvious:

“Hanako?”

“She hurts inside. A lot. She wants to g-get away from the, the pain, but it's everywhere. She th-thinks it's o-okay to hate, to hate mean people, but if you hate enough people you start hating them all. Even if they're kind.” Her voice becomes very low. “She kills hope.”

Even if they're kind. The words hit Lilly hard. A tense feeling from the gut to the chest. She hopes her calm expression survives, but she is not sure. A lot of things fall into place. The shock of realisation is severe: Hanako is not merely jealous of Kitagawa; she identifies with her. Miyako Kitagawa is Hanako's dark side. There is light at the other end of tunnel, but Kitagawa guards the exit. Silence spreads in the Shanghai. Hisao has no reply to that. Hanako has nothing left to say. Small talk feels inappropriate now, and there is no obvious direction the conversation would be going. Lilly is at a loss.

“Um...” It's Yuuko. “One coffee and a ham-and-cheese sandwich, if you don't mind the interruption.” The little tray sways and finally comes to rest on the table. A short chuckle-like sound comes from Hisao's direction. He picks up the cup. Yuuko's voice again:

“Oh, is it cold? I'm sorry. It's my fault. I didn't want to interrupt. I didn't actually want to listen either. But I couldn't really go away, so... I'm sorry.”

“The coffee is fine. This way, I don't burn my tongue.” A slight slurping sounds indicates a demonstrative sip. When the cup hits the saucer, Hisao speaks again: “So you heard us talk about Miyako?”

“Um, yes. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. But... she didn't kill my hope. Um... I thought I was the worst waitress in the world, but she said I'm only the third-worst waitress she has met. So, maybe, if I try hard, I could become the fourth-worst waitress and then fifth worst...”

Hisao's laughs. “It's a long way to the top,” he says, a sentence that could easily come across as mocking, but Hisao's voice is gentle.

“Oh no,” says Yuuko. “I don't want to be a waitress for that long. I want to be an archaeologist. That's what I'm studying for. You just do... one thing at a time.”

Hisao makes some mmm-sound, acknowledging what Yuuko said, but Hanako is silent. Hanako is better at being silent than anyone else Lilly knows. She almost disappears. The only sign of her presence is a very faint, very shallow breathing.

At that point an the sound of a far-off explosion filled the room.

“Huh? Wha-?” Hisao's voice.

“It's the fireworks,” Lilly says.

“Fireworks?”

“From the festival. Half the town will be at Yamaku, watching them. I hear you can see them pretty well from here.”

“I'll... gowatchthem,” Hanako says. A chair is being pushed back, and Hanako hurries away.

“Me, too.” Yuuko follows.

Disappointingly, Hisao doesn't move. “Fireworks,” he says, his voice strangely empty.

“Don't you like them?” Lilly asks. It is supposed to be a prod. Go watch them with Hanako. She'll be embarrassed but she'll appreciate the gesture.

“They're... pretty.” Hisao's voice is pensive, distracted. There is no way he will leave now. “I guess I'm not much in the mood today.” A short pause. “Should I have gone watch them with Hanako?”

Hisao can be quite slow on the uptake. “I must admit I sort of hoped you would. She worries about you, you know?”

“Because I always look so gloomy, and I'm with the... with Miya now?” He laughs a strange humourless laugh. “I can take care of myself. But Hanako? I don't know what it feels like to live with... pain for a long time. My life has always been pleasant, until...” He pauses, but then decides not to finish that sentence. “Even now I wouldn't say I'm in 'pain'. It's just that... life passes me by. Fireworks. Pretty while it lasts, but over much too quickly. Another one next time. I guess it's fine if you have a goal, like Yuuko. Does Hanako have something she wants to do?”

“She doesn't talk about the future. She may have.” Hisao's unfinished sentence is on her mind. He has never told her why he has come to Yamaku, and he has never come this close to telling before.

“Hmm... Thinking of fireworks, is it okay to ask a question?”

“A question? Go ahead.”

“What are fireworks to you. I mean, if you can't see them, aren't they just noise?”

Hisao's voice feels different today. It is not the sort of measured curiosity she has come to expect from his question. There is some sort of tension, as if the answer is somewhat critical. “When I'm with other people, I take in the atmosphere. It's the oohs and the aahs that make it worthwhile. The silence, too, in a way.”

“Mmmh?” It's the sound of a thought that has no words yet. After a while: “I really should drop by for tea again, one day, if it's okay with you two.”

“That would be nice. I'm sure Hanako would be happy, too.”

And then the fireworks are over. The next ones will come after graduation. Hanako returns and quietly sits down. Nobody talks, but the silence isn't as awkward as it could be. The mood is strange, neither pleasant nor unpleasant. What now? One doesn't always know what's going on. That, too, is life.

[End of Part 1]
Last edited by Dawnstorm on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemz

Post by nemz »

Miyako Kitagawa is Hanako's dark side.
That's quite insightful on Lilly's part. Does she realize just how close she really is to falling into that other category with Hanako? Very nice passage, that.

This is a version of Hisao I don't think we've seen before at all... withdrawn but restless rather than relaxed like he is with Lilly and Hanako, sort of a smoldering fire type of personality. His bitterness isn't being dispersed with other concerns like it usually is around this time, but rather redirected and focused. This is a Hisao who might actually become a bit dangerous depending on what he eventually sets his mind to accomplishing, like Shizune with nothing to lose or Rika with a goal other than hedonism.
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

nemz wrote:
That's quite insightful on Lilly's part. Does she realize just how close she really is to falling into that other category with Hanako?
I wonder if she can face it. I think she might have had a hunch all along (even in the game she comes across as slightly apologetic when she admits her manipulations), so this might just be a violent surge of a sub-current that's been there all along. No real realisation; more a temporary failure of the firewall, so to speak.
This is a version of Hisao I don't think we've seen before at all... withdrawn but restless rather than relaxed like he is with Lilly and Hanako, sort of a smoldering fire type of personality. His bitterness isn't being dispersed with other concerns like it usually is around this time, but rather redirected and focused. This is a Hisao who might actually become a bit dangerous depending on what he eventually sets his mind to accomplishing, like Shizune with nothing to lose or Rika with a goal other than hedonism.
Heh, it's sort of "What if there was girl to take care of the manly-picnic-Hisao?"

Seriously, when I played the VN, I noticed some throwaway comments, for example about cliques and bickering or people having more lethal conditions than Hisao, but none of the issues involved were confronted head on. I've designed Miya in a way that Hisao has to face issues like death and social integration head on, if he shows the same curiosity as he does in the game. She sort of evolved from there. Now, I think she's an almost perfect representation of Schopenhauer's porcupines (among other things).

Part 2 is going to get more personal. (Aside: I remember that the VN named some of Hisao's friends; I think it's somewhere in Lilly's route. I'll eventually have to go look for that , so if anyone remembers I'd appreciate the help. If not, no biggie. I'll find the reference.)

Finally: this is the second time you mention Rika, now. I've never read any of the fanfics on her; I know the pictures (and I think she has some sort of heart condition according to the April-fool blog post, though looking at her, I'd have guessed albinism, heh). That basically means I don't get the references. So if I were to find the time to read a fanfic or two, which would be the best to start?
nemz

Post by nemz »

This would be what I'm mostly referring to.
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

First I was "WTF??" when she first appeared.
Then I was "KILL HER WITH FIRE!!1!!" when she encountered Hanako.
Then I read the chapters with Rin, and was "Oh, they both fit each other." (actually, Miya would fit more than Emi, sorry for Emi worshippers).
And then I was "WTF??" again in the park.
And now everything is beginning to make sense at the Shangai (I think).

Great work!! It really is captivating me. You are managing very well the characters and situations, they all seems to fit KS perfectly well. Wonder if you would make a Good Ending & Bad Ending as well? Would be nice to see a Bad Ending.

Really makes me want to write one fanfiction as well... Even though I've never done it before.

Just keep an eye on "Their/They're" and "Your/You're" mistakes (found one or two, too lazy to find them :mrgreen: ). Otherwise, can't wait for Act 2!!

P.S.: Strange, but as I read I always pictured Miya as having very long, dark brown hair. More or less like Haruhi Suzumiya, but longer. In KS, short hair always reminds me of Shizune.
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
Panthour

Post by Panthour »

ShinigamiKenji wrote:Strange, but as I read I always pictured Miya as having very long, dark brown hair. More or less like Haruhi Suzumiya, but longer. In KS, short hair always reminds me of Shizune.
Whoah, I imagined her personality to be like Haruhi Suzumiya, like how at the start she acts all quiet and only talks to Kyon, but she's actually really menacing and crazy.
S-Class Wizard. Emi is my waifu.
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

nemz wrote:This would be what I'm mostly referring to.
Thanks; I'll check it out eventually.
ShinigamiKenji wrote:Wonder if you would make a Good Ending & Bad Ending as well? Would be nice to see a Bad Ending.
Hm, I know how it'll end (there's only one ending), but I have trouble telling if it's a good/bad or neutral end. That probably means neutral. I think of it just as an end.
Really makes me want to write one fanfiction as well... Even though I've never done it before.
Try it. Maybe you'll find it a fun thing to do. :)
Just keep an eye on "Their/They're" and "Your/You're" mistakes (found one or two, too lazy to find them :mrgreen: ).
Heh. No matter how many I eliminate, some always remain. I wonder why I make that mistake in the first place.
P.S.: Strange, but as I read I always pictured Miya as having very long, dark brown hair. More or less like Haruhi Suzumiya, but longer. In KS, short hair always reminds me of Shizune.
Panthour wrote:
ShinigamiKenji wrote:Strange, but as I read I always pictured Miya as having very long, dark brown hair. More or less like Haruhi Suzumiya, but longer. In KS, short hair always reminds me of Shizune.
Whoah, I imagined her personality to be like Haruhi Suzumiya, like how at the start she acts all quiet and only talks to Kyon, but she's actually really menacing and crazy.
Now that's a connection I never would have made, but now that you point it out, I can see the similarity.
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

Dawnstorm wrote:
Try it. Maybe you'll find it a fun thing to do. :)
Not like I already tried to write something, but I have some problems about characters, I think... I tend to stereotype them too much (like, they end up being almost perfect, or all evil, or with some exaggerated trait), and they seem to be far from reality. Do you have some advice on this?

And I believe one of Hisao's classmates was Haruhiko Suzumiya, BTW.
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

nemz wrote:
That's quite insightful on Lilly's part. Does she realize just how close she really is to falling into that other category with Hanako? Very nice passage, that.
Yeah, I gotta agree. She and Hanako both showed some impressive insight throughout the chapter.

And of course the reference to Schopenhauer's porcupines has me thinking of Asuka Soryu; Mia seems like the Asuka we'd get a couple of years after 3I, vicious and in pain and hurtful even though she isn't actively malicious. Good thing Hisao's not quite as nebbish as Shinji! :lol:
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Bagheera wrote:And of course the reference to Schopenhauer's porcupines has me thinking of Asuka Soryu; Mia seems like the Asuka we'd get a couple of years after 3I, vicious and in pain and hurtful even though she isn't actively malicious. Good thing Hisao's not quite as nebbish as Shinji! :lol:
It's not the first time NGE is mentioned in this thread. I wonder if this story for some reason attracts people who watched it, or if the show's just that popular. (And, yes, I've both watched and enjoyed it. It might have influenced me more than I ever noticed.)
ShinigamiKenji wrote:Not like I already tried to write something, but I have some problems about characters, I think... I tend to stereotype them too much (like, they end up being almost perfect, or all evil, or with some exaggerated trait), and they seem to be far from reality. Do you have some advice on this?
Hm, it's not easy to give advice, since pretty much all writers have their own way of writing. You could take a look at the Kosherbacon's character spread sheet (just follow the link in this post).

There are other possibilities. For example, it's possible that you have problem with characters because you don't "know" them enough. An online friend once suggested to go shopping for your characters. You could also fill out personality quizzes for them. (I've done that on occasion; I thought it was about the answers, but to my surprise not all characters would co-operate and actually fill out the form. I had one character who just replied at random without even reading the questions, read the result, and told me quizzes suck. I don't dare ask Miya.)

Yet another possibility is to use "character generation sets" like astrology, or tarot. Whether you believe in that or not, it's quite complex and gives you surprisingly complex characters.

Another problem might be that you're subjugating your characters to plot: you want a happy end, so you have to do them things that lead to one. Or you need a villain, so you have to make them do bad things. In that case, you could try switching roles. For example, if you're writing a romance, try switching genders: keep the plot constant, but have your male character do the things your female character did and the other way round. You'll find that some things won't work (pregnancy doesn't usually transfer all that well, though in some SF settings it's a possiblity).

You could also try writing scenes from the point of view of bit players. Your characters meet in a restaurant? Try to tell the story from the point of view of the waiter, or guest who's waiting for someone. Since they're irrelevant to the plot, this might give you an interesting perspective on your characters. How do they look to people who have no idea about what the "story" is about?

Or you could write scenes where characters that never meet in the story itself meet (e.g. Hideaki and Hanako get trapped in an elevator together). Or map the characters onto another story, trying to stick as closely to the original plot as possible.

Basically, the idea is to focus on character traits that you think have little to do with the story. Sometimes it's just fooling around, but sometimes it might give you insight into the characters you didn't expect.
And I believe one of Hisao's classmates was Haruhiko Suzumiya, BTW.
It's not hard to tell who, when you look at Hisao's introduction scene. ;)

Also, I've started to read the Rika story. It's excellent, but I sort of wish I hadn't started reading it before finishing this one. There are some eerie simularities, also in scenes I've yet to write. The drive is pretty different, and the scenes tend to play out differently, but I see some very similar basic concepts. Having read that story, I can't rule out influence, now. That would be less of a problem if the story weren't that well written, but it is. Luckily, Miya's attitudes to death and to people are pretty different from Rika's.

Next scene is written, but I probably won't find time to edit it before next Sunday. Maybe earlier, since it's not such an intricate scene (mostly connective tissue), but no promises.