Life without Hisao

WORDS WORDS WORDS

northernlight

Life without Hisao

Post by northernlight »

This my first attempt at writing a fan fic. Undoubtedly there are some grammatical errors that will need refinement. I have been an avid reader of many provocative yet touching stories of the community on this board. I'm not always a dark person but the thought of where the characters lives might have drifted if not for one fellow with a bad heart that needed cheered up. Katawa Shoujo is a beacon in a world where normal doesn't exist. We aren't broken, we're just different.

The possibilities.

Lilly:

She returns to Inverness. A life never ventured, and friends unknown left behind. Her parents see that the staff tend her needs. Long days are spent alone while Akira exhausts herself joining the rat race in her Father's hopes that she'll one day lead the family business. Lilly's Mother takes an interest in so far as finding family approved suitors for Lilly. One day she is married away to a trusted company man to provide for her.

Hanoko :

Another day ending in overtime while editing at the local paper. An interest sprung by a briefly emboldened young women at a loss without her dearest friend in life. In time life cruelly wears her down that she now rents a windowless apartment one block from the only thing that draws her from the lonely walls. A need to go about the paces. Even a tidy store is an easy stop to and from each sanctuary. The nights provide a cover to unwelcome stares and daylight is rarely seen.

Emi:

A life of great highs. Para-Olympic golds and records on the track. The Fame, the books and the tours. The lows of time spent locked away in a room alone. The new agent always being told to go away at these dark hours lest they want to find new work. A mother whose fond memories of a bright spirit that no longer allows even her to come close.A cold fire of determination to never be hurt that denies that it burns the one that wants protection from it.

Rin:

A lost and nearly forgotten tale that should be shared among talented but wayward youth. Un-named works adorn murals, books and homes without having to pay respects to a once promising flicker of life. She made no quarrels to her health and had to interests in protecting her works against those who would advantage them. The nameless artist with only one small portrait of herself left behind titled "unknown".

Shizune:

It wasn't ever supposed to be this way. A bitter existence to a once rising star in the business community with hopes of a politcal future. A bad investment there, a gamble here and few swollen toes seeking revenge for their humiliation. Now a bitter women she tends to the library of Yumaku. A once proud institution now over shadowed by the endowments of it's competitors.

Misha:

Misha is a bitterly interesting contrast. She succeeded at becoming a teacher of sign language at a school in Atlanta. Professionally she has exceeded all her personal goals and is now a vice-principle at very fine institution of learning. However, she lives in fear. A fear that students, coworkers or the board may find out her secret. In a conservatively structured community she fears that she'd never be accepted if they knew. She longed for the company of a caring woman. A couple discreet visits to dark rooms while on vacations temper her urges but never silence the whispers that it is odd for a smart beautiful and successful woman not to have a love interest in her life. After a few strung along suitors she resigns herself to a life that fulfillment will need to be found in her work.

Kenji:

It's cold here. A lonely place where Kenji has discovered enemies far worse than dreaded feminists. Prison. Why he was sent here never bothered him. He had fought the good fight. The books, the demonstrations organized and rallies. All in the name of a just cause. Til the day they caught him. A one rally he had made a grave mistake of taking on a leading politicians wife and berating her for all that ills his once proud country. Had he stopped there he may have merely been sent for treatment. However in a spirited burst he had sent her flailing down the concrete stairs. On camera no less. His lawyer tried unsuccessfully to keep him from testifying but no avail. The judge had no ills about sending him here. A place where men are broken by other men.

[ One fated day left my life with an irony that with the lose of other sound, I hear my heart beat forever through silence.]
Last edited by northernlight on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobBobberson

Re: Life without Hisao

Post by BobBobberson »

The sad thing is that 4 out of these 7 scenarios will happen no matter what route you take, unless you fall off the roof while drinking with Kenji.

If you could expand it into more like a monologue for each of those characters, that would make the fic even more awesomesauce. But it's a good speculation on a Hisao-less Katawa Shoujo.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Well if you take Lilly's route, Hanako's ending wouldn't be the same as Lilly would stay and wouldn't leave for Scotland and thus they might stay together like other fan fics out there.
Roamin12

Post by Roamin12 »

Interesting and thoroughly depressing, but is it really fan fiction? I'm not trying to be an ass about it but, as this is more of speculation than anything I'd think it'd go under general discussion. But what's done is done and I think it would be interesting if you expanded on it like Bob said, this could end up being VERY interesting.
First Play through: Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Second Play Through: Hanako>Rin>Lilly>Shizune>Emi
I'm a music enthusiast.
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

Depressing. But i suppose it just goes to show that the right man, in the right place, in the right time, can make an entire world of difference. For everyone. I like to think that even the characters who fall by the wayside in the routes you take are touched enough to go on to achieve great things afterwards.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Interesting speculation. As BobBobberson mentioned, these would be great if expanded upon.

The only correction I would offer is that Atlanta actually has an active gay community. Still, the stereotype in the US south exists for a reason…
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
northernlight

Post by northernlight »

I shall undoubtedly make the attempt to expand upon this. It wasn't my goal so much to write a depressing hypothesis. More as to show that one person regardless of their understanding of their own self worth can invariably impact the lives of those around them.
Thank-you for the constructive advice.
Roamin12

Post by Roamin12 »

griffon8 wrote:Interesting speculation. As BobBobberson mentioned, these would be great if expanded upon.

The only correction I would offer is that Atlanta actually has an active gay community. Still, the stereotype in the US south exists for a reason…
I live in Metro Atlanta and go into the city often, there seems to be an active community of ALL sorts there, form racist, to 99 percenters, to anti-gay, to pro-gay and basically anything else. Though the anti-gay thing there isn't really all that big, and the gay community is pretty big there. But as for the rest of the state, I'd advise MIsha to be careful with her secret, in some places she wouldn't even be offered a job even if she were the most qualified for the position. Hell, in some places she wouldn't even be allowed into the interview.
First Play through: Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Second Play Through: Hanako>Rin>Lilly>Shizune>Emi
I'm a music enthusiast.
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

northernlight wrote:I shall undoubtedly make the attempt to expand upon this. It wasn't my goal so much to write a depressing hypothesis. More as to show that one person regardless of their understanding of their own self worth can invariably impact the lives of those around them.
Thank-you for the constructive advice.
Maybe you could make it as "it's a wonderful life" style tale where Hisao winds up seeing what would have happened if he hadn't come to Yamaku, and is given a chance to make things right. Do you think you might do that? If you just do it as is, it would be a really depressing story.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Chrono180 wrote:Maybe you could make it as "it's a wonderful life" style tale where Hisao winds up seeing what would have happened if he hadn't come to Yamaku, and is given a chance to make things right. Do you think you might do that? If you just do it as is, it would be a really depressing story.
A mysterious transfer student helps him set things right... His disability? No wings.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Chrono180 wrote:Maybe you could make it as "it's a wonderful life" style tale where Hisao winds up seeing what would have happened if he hadn't come to Yamaku, and is given a chance to make things right. Do you think you might do that? If you just do it as is, it would be a really depressing story.
The problem with that would be the limitation that only one happy ending happens. Although…

You know what? I'm going to stay silent. I've suddenly gotten an idea for my own story. I'll wait to see what happens in this thread before I put it up, as I have a couple other story ideas brewing.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
northernlight

Post by northernlight »

I've got a few plots in the works but I may separate a few of them into different stories if the end product doesn't flow from a readers standpoint. I noticed one or two very intriguing hypothetical suggestions the future story may take. However in fair warning, I may lead either this or another possible work into a darker storyline. I do however promise that I will try in time to incorporate a lighter story to counter it. :)
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

griffon8 wrote:
The problem with that would be the limitation that only one happy ending happens. Although…

You know what? I'm going to stay silent. I've suddenly gotten an idea for my own story. I'll wait to see what happens in this thread before I put it up, as I have a couple other story ideas brewing.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Maybe even though Hisao only chooses one girl, his actions affect the others enough so that things don't get as dark as they do in this fic. I hope so at least, this was a very depressing view of what the characters could have been. They deserve better.
northernlight wrote:I've got a few plots in the works but I may separate a few of them into different stories if the end product doesn't flow from a readers standpoint. I noticed one or two very intriguing hypothetical suggestions the future story may take. However in fair warning, I may lead either this or another possible work into a darker storyline. I do however promise that I will try in time to incorporate a lighter story to counter it. :)
Hmmm, darker fic huh? I may sit this one out. This was pretty sad stuff. Unless you're going to make it a dark fic with a happy ending, in which case I might be able to read it. Happy endings make everything better.
Also, if you aren't going to do the sort of "Wonderful life" style-story, I might start working on it. I was thinking about doing something similar for a while actually, though the details were changed. Just let me know, ok?
Spirit Tsunami

Post by Spirit Tsunami »

Mahorfeus wrote:
A mysterious transfer student helps him set things right... His disability? No wings.
Well, what do you know. I thought that sounded familiar, and sure enough, the name on the fic I just read on FF.net earlier today is "Chrono180". Well done. (I pretty much exhausted the archive there before coming here; I prefer posting there, in part because you can comment on not-so-new works without having to "necro-post" like you would on a forum, but with their recent vows to more strictly enforce the TOS I may end up reposting my fics here if they ever get taken down. I go by "Cyberchao X" over there, not "Spirit Tsunami".)
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

I don't want to sound too discouraging, but I agree that this is a pretty pessimistic view of how things might turn out without Hisao coming to Yamaku. As much as I agree with the notion that one person touches and affects many people around him, the thing that really bugs me about this is that it suggests that all of the girls' happiness and fulfillment in life depends upon one guy coming into their lives and "rescuing" them, which doesn't give them much credit. It also assumes that they don't find love elsewhere, or discover that their changing circumstances make them become better and stronger people.

It's an interesting "what if" exercise, and I'm certainly not opposed to sad stories; I just don't really buy the idea that this is what happens to all of the girls (if that was your intention).
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt