Help me forget/get over this game

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

bleh

Help me forget/get over this game

Post by bleh »

Hello, after seeing numerous threads on /v/ about this "game" I decided one tuesday night that I would try it out, despite it being one of those "kawaii waifu simulator". Or atleast I thought it was. I ended up getting Rins path, as I was not aware how choosing paths worked before I took a good look a flowchart.

I really got into the game, playing four hours straight before going to bed. I got Rins bad ending, or so I thought it was before I kept playing for a bit after the shit went down at the art exhibition, it turned out to be the good ending and I was really satisfied with my first playthrough. Rin was a likeable character and despite me being a bit confused and irritated (partly due to me going to bed mid-chapter, so I was a bit confused when Rin and Hisao were in their love-hate relationship).

I didn't feel like I was finished with the game, although I didn't want to start a new path because then I felt like I would let Rin down. I was finished with the game and wanted to just quit, uninstall and forget about it, but I really couldn't. I wasn't really in the mood to do anything else. The regular games I used to play were still fun I guess, but I didn't really feel like playing them. I also lost my appetite, for some reason. I made some delicious hamburgers with french fries but I could only eat one hamburger with some fries before I just threw the meal in the garbage, despite still being kinda hungry. Although I told myself I was finished and didn't want to play more, I really longed for this stupid game.

I made some posts in a KS thread on 4chan and lots of people reccomended me to try Hanakos path, and since I was actually aiming to befriend her when I looked up the game in the first place I decided to give it a shot, peeking at a flowchart to make sure I picked the right options to unlock Hanako. I quit the game many times during this path, just to stare at my computer screen for 5 minutes and start KS again. I really enjoyed Hanakos path, probably thanks to all her HNNNNNNNNNNG moments although I was getting pissed off at some moments, mainly because I didn't like the choices Hisao made or the way he acted at some parts of this path.

I managed to get her good ending aswell, and basically the same thing happened here. I was not in the mood to play or do anything else, so I just started a new game of KS and decided to go for Lilly, as I liked her character and that would work well since I already knew Hanako and her path to some degree.

I REALLY liked this path. The manliest tears were shed at the end I was really happy and sad at the same time. It just felt like a huge anticlimax when he had a heart attack at the airport, a huge letdown as I thought I had played all my cards right because I was aiming for the good ending, and when I realized that I got it I was really happy, despite that ending being pretty cliché

However, this time I felt like I'm really done with the game, I don't feel like playing it anymore. BUT, I'm still not in the mood to do anything else and so far this game has been ruining my sports holidays (I don't really mean it when I said ruining, this was my first VN and I really had a good time playing it).

What should I do? This time I actually felt like I "finished" the game despite not getting 100%. I don't want to play the game anymore but I still don't feel like doing anything else, and I've been feeling really sad since I played the game, maybe because no game in a LONG time has affected me emotionally and I literally haven't cried for years, so I guess it was just nice to actually feel sad and happy at the same time.

Is this normal the first time you play KS? I really hope this sad mood will pass and I can just forget about KS and enjoy the remaining days of my holiday. Sorry if my post is hard to read, I'm kinda tired and just dumped alot of crap I needed to get off my heart/out of my brain. Anyways, thank you for an excellent visual novel, I really enjoyed it even it it doesn't seem like it.
Thrasher Thetic

Re: Help me forget/get over this game

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Do the folowing three things.

1.) drink half a liter of vodka (not all at once, unless you're into that)
2.) eat the largest, bloodiest chunk of meat you can find.
3.) punch something.

That will grant you recovery, AND grant you an extra point on your man card.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

I personally STILL can't play other games. Feels like I played the ultimate emotional game. None of the other VNs, RPGs, etc got me emotionally invested into it like KS did. I think I'm permanently done with MMOs. So instead I ended up deciding to learn sign language lol.

So.. all I can suggest if pick up a new hobby?
bleh

Post by bleh »

Daitengu wrote:I personally STILL can't play other games. Feels like I played the ultimate emotional game. None of the other VNs, RPGs, etc got me emotionally invested into it like KS did. I think I'm permanently done with MMOs. So instead I ended up deciding to learn sign language lol.

How long ago was it since you started playing KS? I'll get real depressed if you haven't regained intrest in other games after a couple of weeks ;_;
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

You could always finish the other paths? It took awhile before I was able to do anything else other than KS, but after a week or two you should be fine.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
bleh

Post by bleh »

MoogleDee wrote:You could always finish the other paths? It took awhile before I was able to do anything else other than KS, but after a week or two you should be fine.
I'm not really intrested in doing any other paths than Rins, Lillys and Hanakos. Or do you mean their bad endings?
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

bleh wrote:
Daitengu wrote:I personally STILL can't play other games. Feels like I played the ultimate emotional game. None of the other VNs, RPGs, etc got me emotionally invested into it like KS did. I think I'm permanently done with MMOs. So instead I ended up deciding to learn sign language lol.

How long ago was it since you started playing KS? I'll get real depressed if you haven't regained intrest in other games after a couple of weeks ;_;

3 weeks since I've got 100% complete. That's just the completionist in me. After having done most of the bad and neutral ends, I was GLAD my first play though(which was blind) was Hanako's good end.

Honestly, I'm not really sad that I can't muster up motivation to play other games. I feel like, "Life Complete" on the game front.

If I don't play another game ever, I'm happy KS was my last. I admit I used games as escapism in my hikkikomori like life. I feel the urge to do something with my life instead of waste away or suicide, which has been on the table for... 15 years now. Man, I've been depressed for over half my life (30 yr old) I don;t even remember what happy feels like <.<
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

bleh wrote:
MoogleDee wrote:You could always finish the other paths? It took awhile before I was able to do anything else other than KS, but after a week or two you should be fine.
I'm not really intrested in doing any other paths than Rins, Lillys and Hanakos. Or do you mean their bad endings?
I meant the other girls, yeah. If you haven't finished getting the endings for Hanako/Rin/Lilly there's that too.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Draetheus

Post by Draetheus »

This happens to me with every good book or anime I complete. Lots of introspection and feels swirling around in my head for a few days to a week, but afterwards it starts to fade.

Also I recommend playing the other paths, even if you don't particularly want to. It will sort of balance you out. Though I will admit I caught myself thinking about Lily (my first path) several times while playing through the other paths, especially during her library cameo in Emi's path...almost quit Emi's path right there. :oops:
newnar

Post by newnar »

Don't re-visit my mistake. Leave these forums before your condition worsens to my level.
Core Xii

Post by Core Xii »

Play the other paths.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Play the other paths.

Or go play a kill-em-all game like serious sam or something and scream out loud I'M DOING THIS FOR HEEEEERRRR.
hell, just go outside and scream as loud as you can, think about it again....

....then go play the other paths
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Daitengu wrote: Honestly, I'm not really sad that I can't muster up motivation to play other games. I feel like, "Life Complete" on the game front.
Try feeling like that on the life in general front... that you have nothing ahead except decades of offices, then retirement and feeling your body age and decay while your mind is trapped inside. Then you play KS and are reminded of the naïveté and and optimism of youth, back when you could have not been such a jerk in one situation or other and done something worthwhile with yourself.
If I don't play another game ever, I'm happy KS was my last. I admit I used games as escapism in my hikkikomori like life. I feel the urge to do something with my life instead of waste away or suicide, which has been on the table for... 15 years now. Man, I've been depressed for over half my life (30 yr old) I don;t even remember what happy feels like <.<
I sort of know how you feel. I maybe had a more active social life at the end of high school and through university but since then work and such has meant I don't really have any social life outside talking to people in my office, my partner at home and... oh look, online game communities. KS has been a subconscious influence in letting the frustration with all this (as per above) come to the surface as I've started to realize I want something more fulfilling than this.

I suggest thinking of what you want to do with your life, like I'm doing. You don't want to remember this in a decade's time when you're 40 (I'm 32). It's not too late, it's never too late, but why sit in the doldrums for another ten years when you could do it now? Making a life change is big and hard and a lot of people will tell you not to throw away what stability you have, but just as many will tell you to go for it now as (and I love this quote) you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Deciding I wanted to move, to retrain, to do something useful and satisfying instead of just 'work' dragged me out of my unhappiness. Working out how I'm going to do it threatens to push me back in as I realize each obstacle that lies ahead but having something to work towards beyond slouching home after work has been great. I wonder to myself if I'm not pushing hard enough, if I should stop being so cautious and just go for it instead of planning to make the change in a year or so when I'm made more preparations. I don't want to be the fool who rushes in but nor do I want to be left behind.

I'll leave it there, maybe that can inspire you. If you're unhappy with the way things are going, maybe KS just helped you realize it. You can use this to do something about it. You'll be pissed off (like I am) that I didn't figure this out 5 or 10 years ago, but you can't do anything about that.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

It still took me a while (As in a couple of weeks), but I managed to force myself to play Monster Girl Quest (A great game if you like old-school JRPGs). Asura's Wrath demo also helped a lot.

That said, while I'm better, I'm still not completely over this game. Heck, I've still been eating less than usual and it has almost been a month and a half. Otherwise, I wouldn't be lurking in these forums. :(
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Technically, as long as this forum is still crowded with lurkers and users we're still trapped in that loop of 'not being able to forget about the game'.

I don't know, but maybe reading/writing fan fictions might help a little I guess...? (or make it worse in certain cases)
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story