When Stars Embrace - Shizune Rewrite (WARNING: SPOILERS)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Acerus

When Stars Embrace - Shizune Rewrite (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Post by Acerus »

The following thread contains spoilers about Shizune's story, if you haven't played, or haven't completed Shizune's arc yet I highly suggest you go do that first. You have been warned.

Right then, this is first fanfic, I've written in the past a bit, but mostly very brief stories with significantly less content, and all completely original so I didn't have to conform to anything. So be gentle. :P

Anyway, this is a re-imagining of the end of Shizune's Act 2 (if you couldn't tell by the fact that I borrowed the name from that scene), it takes place the day of Tanabata, it's largely the same the same as the game as far as some small details and filler dialog goes, but for plot-specific dialog and important scenes, I did mess with things a bit and took a few liberties as well as largely rewriting most of how the scene plays out, other than that nothing too drastic as I didn't want to stray too far from the characters' personalities and such, but I wrote this in a way that I would have liked as some things about Shizune's arc just didn't jive well with me. Things are a lot more up-front and straight forward, less of the in between the lines type of deal. Four and a half hours and almost 5,000 words later, we end up with this. I hope you enjoy.

Feedback and constructive criticism encouraged and welcomed. :)

I'll probably be continuing until the end of Act 4, but as it stands I don't have any kind of time frame on an update.

-----------

Even though it's a holiday I wake up at the same time as usual, on a day when everyone else is likely sleeping in for another six hours.

I take my morning regimen of pills for the first time in a few days. Admittedly, I'd let my medication slip my mind. Looking at the rows of bottles in front of me, I don't know how I managed to do so.

Seventeen different medications. I feel full enough to skip breakfast after taking them all.

I'm already up, so I may as well take a walk.

The weather looks nice outside, giving off an idyllic atmosphere I'd often dreamed of. It's always been kind of a romantic notion to me to meander around the countryside, taking in the fresh air. Now that an opportunity to do just that is here, I can't resist, even though I know it must seem silly.

I stop at the main building in order to buy a drink, and then decide to enter it and maybe hang around on the roof a little bit.

The view might be pretty cool at this time, and I'm pretty sure that nobody else will be up there either. And I've never been up there by myself.

The school is quiet today. Deserted. My footsteps echoing in the staircase to the roof are unnervingly loud. It shouldn't bother me due to how much time I've spent in sign language class in near-total silence, or working so much with Shizune lately, but it still does. It makes the smallest noises that I wouldn't have even noticed before seem boomingly loud. It feels like I'm sneaking around some place I shouldn't be. I wonder why I'm getting that vibe. Maybe the school is haunted or something.

When I open the door to the roof, I see I'm not alone. Misha leans against the fence, looking over the school grounds, not having noticed me at all. Instantly, I know what I have to do: I have to put my hands over her eyes and say “Guess who?” It's the only option.

Halfway, I start thinking of how bad this would look if Shizune suddenly popped in having left for just a second to get some food, and saw me sneaking up on Misha like this. I pray silently that such a coincidental misunderstanding doesn't happen.

“Guess who?”

“Hicchan!” She exclaims, without missing a beat, or deviating in the slightest from her normal tone. My fun was over before it had even begun.

“Hi, Hicchan! Good morning~!”

She reflexively tries to move her hands to form a greeting and entangles her fingers in the chain-link fencing, a slight pout forming on her face. It's kind of cute.

“Good morning, I didn't expect to find you here. What're you doing up so early?”

“I could ask you the same thing, Hicchan! What are you doing up so early? I didn't expect to find you here~!” She parrots.

“I asked you first.”

“Hm~... you're right. Wahaha~!” She says, with an almost unfathomably large grin stretching from ear to ear. “You sound just like Shicchan.”

“No, I don't.” I say slightly defensively. “Are you looking forward to tonight?”

“Of course, Hicchan~! I don't like celebrations, or maybe not as much as Shicchan does, but Tanabata stands always have interesting things to buy and all kinds of seasonal food. And~! I get to wear a yukata~!”

Her choice of words is a little strange. It sounds like she's saying she doesn't like celebrations, but likes doing everything involved with them. I briefly debate following up on that, but decide it's not worth the effort.

“What about you, Hicchan~?”

“I am, otherwise I'd just stay in my room all day, wouldn't I? That's the logical option.”

“Ahaha~! Hicchan, you're not that logical~! So~! That's really surprising~ Hm, okay, though. I was just making sure, because you didn't look like you were having a lot of fun last time. Me and Shicchan were a little worried because of that.” She says in her usual cheery manner.

“Hey, I had fun. I guess I just ended up appreciating it more than I expected to.”

“Really, Hicchan~? Wahahaha~! What part of it? Tell me~!”

“Well, there were the fireworks at the end. They were...” I take a brief moment to choose my exact wording, “really nice. I think you slept through them, though.”

“Aw~... I always fall asleep early. But~! I won't sleep through them this year~ I'll definitely stay awake!”

“I don't think they have fireworks during Tanabata. It's a different mood entirely. Maybe you can get Shizune to petition them to have them, though. And move the fireworks to an earlier time.”

“Hahahahaha~! Maybe I will~! That's a great idea, Hicchan!”

“Ah, no, no it's not! Don't do that. I wasn't being serious,” I think I just set a world record for back-peddling. “Although... maybe it would annoy Shicc-- Shizune.”

“Wahaha~. You make it sound like you would like that, Hicchan.”
As conversation dies down, we just sit there relaxing in the fresh air and taking in the sunshine. I'm almost comatose when Misha hits me with a question that throws me for a loop.

“Hicchan, Do you like Shicchan?”

That came out of nowhere, and I can't say yes or no, and, sitting down like I am, I can't even smoothly leave.

“Of course I do, we're friends aren't we?”

“That's not what I meant, Hicchan. You like her romantically.” A small frown forming on Misha's normally energetic face.

“Where's that coming from all of the sudden?” I say trying to deflect, my face slightly flushed.

“You almost called her Shicchan earlier. So, I'm right, right?”

“That seems like strange conclusion to jump to. It's because you call her Shicchan all the time. It got stuck in my head. Besides it's one little slip-up.”

“But you do, don't you?” Her face becoming even more serious.

“Don't be ridiculous, you're the only girl for me.” I say, in a joking manner, trying to downplay the matter and steer conversation elsewhere.

“I'm serious, Hicchan,” She says, a frown forming on her face once again. “I've seen the way you look at Shicchan. You even wanted to suddenly learn sign language just to communicate with her.”

Damn, she's got me. I feel more nervous than I probably should. Most likely due to the fact that I've never heard Misha speak so seriously before.

“Well that's not--”

“But it's true.” Misha abruptly cuts me off mid-sentence.

I manage the slightest of nods, and Misha's expression seems to lighten up somewhat for a brief instant before seemingly becoming even more intense.

“Then I was right. You do like Shicchan.” She says in a voice with the smallest hint of what I think is annoyance.

I take a deep breath, trying to collect my thoughts and steel myself against the words that I'm about to say.

“Yeah. Yeah, I do. But promise me you'll keep it a secret this time? This is bigger than me learning sign language. I want to tell Shizune myself this time.” I say, almost in a pleading tone.

Misha doesn't say anything, she turns her back to me and looks out over the grounds again, with a look that tells me any further communication is probably ill-advised.

A little confused by the events that just transpired, I finally decide to wander back to my dorm. The following hours tick by slowly as I'm left to replay the events on the roof, wondering why Misha seemed annoyed with me for being honest. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

Eventually I decide to catch up on some reading to take my mind off of it, and kill the rest of the time before the festival.

I wake with a start as the book I had been reading just before I dozed off falls from it's resting place on my stomach onto the floor.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I groggily glance over at the clock. My eyes widen when I realize what time it is. I was supposed to meet up with Shizune and Misha almost ten minutes ago.

I hurry out of my room prepared to face the onslaught of people. Much to my surprise the school grounds aren't even that crowded, even though it'd be almost impossible to miss Misha's pink hair if they were. Surprisingly, however, finding them seems to be a little more difficult than I thought.

Finally, after a bit of meandering, I run into them at the front gate, which is the first place I had looked.

[ Hello! ] I'm immediately greeted by Shizune, who punctuates her normal greeting with a grand little sweep at the end.

“Hicchan~! How're you?” Misha quickly follows suit.

It's strange seeing them in yukata, though I've been seeing women in their yukata all night.

Shizune's is simple, tasteful and elegant all at the same time, it's pink floral pattern almost blends right into the red silky fabric in this light. Her attire seems oddly fitting for her in retrospect. For all her grand flourishes and over-the-top behaviour, I think she would rather die than dress the part.

What draws my eye is the hairpin she's wearing, a jeweled golden flower that gleams softly in the moonlight. It looks pretty on her, but in a way it also feels out of place. As if it's too elaborate for a high school girl, or maybe just for someone as secretly childish as Shizune.

Misha's yukata is about what I expected, so it actually fits a little too well, accentuating her curvacious figure all the more. Her forest-green yukata and pale floral print paired with her bubblegum pink hair is cute, but a bit anachronistic.

After a bit of gawking I finally manage to speak, “You two look nice.”

“Thanks, Hicchan~!” Misha is the first to respond.

[ … ] Shizune signs something that I don't quite catch, with a small look of annoyance.

“You're late, Hicchan. We were waiting here a while for you, did you forget the time or the place?” Misha thankfully translates. “Oh well~! Let's get going!”

Before I have a chance to interject Misha abruptly changes gears. Probably for the better, her dropping that discussion saves me the embarrassment of owning up to the fact that I've been looking for them for almost an hour.

Seeing Shizune and Misha looking so cheerful, it's hard not to want to fall into the atmosphere and enjoy a nice night out. But what really bothers me is that I'm having trouble reading Shizune's signing tonight. I haven't been to sign language class in almost a week, so I'm not surprised. I guess having lost focus for a while, I'm slipping. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

“Hold on, where are we going? Into town?”

[ Yes. ] Shizune being the first to answer my inquiry this time.

“But we haven't even checked out what's on the grounds yet. Unless you two decided to have fun while I wasn't looking.”

[ We're going to come back; we'll be working our way up. ]

“Hahaha~! Either way, Hicchan, we have to walk into town and then back up if we want to see everything. So~! This way, after we're done, we'll be right by our dorms when we're tired. It works out perfectly~!” Misha explains.

She does have a point when you put it that way. Shizune doesn't give me time to argue anyway, grabbing me by the arm and lightly trying to pull me along.

The streets are illuminated only by the light of the moon and low lanterns tinted with tissue paper put me at ease.

Now that we're in town, Shizune moves a bit more slowly in order to see the sights.

So, I decide to walk more briskly in order to mess with her, but she quickly readjusts her own speed to match, letting out a soundless laugh before quickly signing to Misha with her off hand.

“What do you want to do first, Hicchan~?” Misha asks.

“How about some games, if there are any?”

“I thought you didn't like games, Hicchan.”

“I don't mind,” I say in a nonchalant manner.

For the second time today, I feel Shizune's slim fingers wrapping around mine. It feels like all this time, I've been pulled along by her will. Occasionally, it's quite tiring, but I think that for the most part, I wouldn't say I hate it.

It's just the quality of some people to drag others into their lives, like a storm. That word fits Shizune sometimes, I think. After my earlier confession to Misha, I realize just how much I really do like Shizune.

“Hicchan, you're going to win a doll for me too this time, right~?” Misha snaps me out of my thoughts.

“You're still thinking about that? All right then, I will.”

The time passes faster than I thought it could as we run around, trying to do as many frivolous things as possible.

“Snow cones! Hicchan, do you want one~?”

Misha runs toward the stand, not even waiting for my answer.

[ They look delicious, I want one too. We'll play rock-paper-scissors to see who can pay for them all. ] Shizune signs enthusiastically.

“Or.. we could each pay for our own.” My words seem to be evaporate into the air as soon as they're spoken and go entirely unnoticed.

“Hicchan~, what flavour do you want?”

“The blue one,” I reply to Misha's question after a brief moment to think.

[ Blue is not a flavour. ] Shizune signs, with a playful pout on her face.

“I knew that...”

[ Ordering something based on color is childish. ]

“You're childish. What are you getting? Are you getting strawberry? Ha! That's such a childish flavour, only children eat strawberry.” I tease at Shizune.

[ You should get plain, the most mature flavour of all! ]

I let out a small chuckle.

I want to know where her personality comes from. I wonder if I would think that way if she hadn't been the first student I ended up having a conversation with on my first day here. It's entirely possible that I'd have missed the parts of her that kept drawing me in.

If I didn't know that she couldn't hear me, and that she was so competitive, and so focused with getting me to join the Student Council, and so alternatingly playful and sharp; without these constant new facets to keep my interest in her, would I have grown to like her so much? I'm probably just over thinking things again.

“Aren't you going to make a wish?” I ask.

“Shicchan never makes wishes, Hicchan!”

“Oh really? Not even on New Year's? Why's that?” My interest now piqued somewhat.

[ … ]

Shizune tents her fingers and smiles, but won't answer.

[ It's a secret. ] She finally says.

“I know~!” Misha cheers, “Do you want me to tell you?”

[ …! ]

“Yes.” I say with a grin.

Shizune alternates between as many forceful iterations of “no” as she can think of. The look on her face is adorable.

“Wahaha~! I'll tell you later, okay?” Misha giggles, “Actually, I feel tired. I think I'm going to go to bed early~.”

[ Really? ]

“It doesn't feel like it's been that long.”

Time flies when you're having fun.

“But~! It has, Hicchan. Maybe I can visit Yuuko first, then go back? Or~... I don't know~.” Misha trails off, seemingly uninterested in our protests to the contrary. “Well, it doesn't matter. Have fun without me, okay~?”

“We're going to go back to the school soon anyway, Misha.”

Misha doesn't want to hear it, and leaves anyway. Shizune starts to wonder why just as soon as I do, but while I keep it in my head, she signs it, seeming to want to discuss the possible reasons.

After we're both done seeing all there is to see, I check the time and find that it's pretty late. My energy is starting to wear off, and it's a miracle that I managed to have even this much, too.

Even Shizune is starting to look a bit tired.

We make our way back to the grounds.

Shizune seems disappointed when she sees the school building lit up and teeming with students.

[ Something wrong? ] I ask.

[ I wanted to go up to the roof, but now there are too many people. I'm tired so it might be for the best. ]

[ There are probably couples on the roof, since it's that kind of holiday. Then again, I wouldn't know. Is that how it really is? I'd never been to any festivals before coming here. ]

[ … ] Shizune seems to be unsure of what to say.

[ I'm disappointed, I thought you said you wanted to see what the school was doing last, like saving the best for last. Now you're telling me you don't want to? Not even a little? I thought you would have more energy. I don't feel tired at all. ]

I sign, trying to keep Shizune from leaving just yet.

My words seem to have sparked her competitive spirit, and Shizune immediately perks up, although it's then that I realize I didn't have anywhere in mind to take her, and I don't feel like going to the main building myself.

Fortunately, the area behind the school is both deserted and impressive-looking today. I'd never appreciated how sprawling and well kept it was until seeing it at night. It almost seems to go on forever in the moon light.

[ It's very pretty, even though it's just a field. ]

Shizune interrupts my train of thought and catches me somewhat off guard with her signing.

I'd thought earlier she was too immature to pull off the old-fashioned clothes she is wearing tonight, but right now, she is quite beautiful in them. It makes me think back to that day, the other festival that I went to with her. She had looked the same way then.

Shizune takes a steps away, to lean against a nearby tree and gaze at the stars, the waning crescent moon catching in her obsidian hair and shimmering ever so slightly. With a peaceful look her face, Shizune looks absolutely breathtaking right now.

I want to tell her how I feel. Decisively, all in one go. But even thinking about it is awkward. And the more I like her, the more awkward and afraid I am of telling Shizune my feelings, even now when I could do so if I wanted to, without having to go through another person.

Not to mention, what if what happened last time happens again? If it does, I might not get off so easily with a months-long hospital stay. I don't want to even think about it.

I try to shove the thoughts out of my mind any way possible, dismissing them as unlikely fears.

Still...

The first time I had seen all of my pills, I'd imagined them cascading before me, enough of them to choke me. I still think about it from time to time. I can't say that it's not a legitimate concern. Times like these are nice enough that I can forget, though.

[ My favorite thing about this school is that it's on the top of a mountain. ]

Shizune's signing snapping me out of my introspection abruptly.

[ Is it because it's that much closer to the sky? ]

[ Yes. ]

[ I like it too, but more because of the fresh air. ]

With each gesture of my hand, I can feel myself getting more nervous about telling Shizune about my feelings as I pad out our time together with small-talk.

[ You're so competitive. Too competitive. If a whale bit you, you would bite it back. ]

Shizune smiles at this remark and lets out a soundless laugh before giving me a wink.

[ Would that be so bad? ]

Her smile contagious.

[ Yes. ]

My response seems to give her pause, as she chooses her next words.

[ It's true. I'm terrible, a little. But if I can make people happy, I'm not entirely terrible, am I? Then, it's okay. I have many examples in my defense. ]

Maybe even this moment is a game to her.

[ Yeah, I suppose you're right. ]

As conversation dies down, Shizune goes back to admiring the clear night sky, and I go back to admiring her.

This is a romantic moment, the perfect chance to get everything out in the open. We're alone under a starry sky, a slight breeze stirring the crisp, cool night air. I don't know if such a chance might come again. I feel compelled to say something, but it would be something awkward and stupid. If I over think things it will probably just make it even worse, and I doubt my hands would cooperate I'm so nervous.

I raise my hands to try to say something, but lose my nerve at the last minute. Shizune obviously realizing my intentions gives me a puzzled look. I just shake my head ever so slightly. She gives me a soft smile and goes back to star gazing. Feeling somewhat defeated by myself I take up a spot leaning against the tree next to Shizune, our shoulders almost touching.

As I close my eyes and take a deep breath, listening to the sound of the breeze rustling the leaves of the trees, I feel Shizune's hand brush against mine ever so slightly. At first I think nothing of it, then a few moments later, again. This time she doesn't pull her hand away, she begins to caress my palm and slowly works her fingers around mine, interlocking them.

I open my eyes and glance over at Shizune, as we stand there holding hands, I see she's looking at me intently a glimmering intensity in her eyes, a look of desire staring into my own eyes. Both of our faces no doubt shades of red previously unknown to the human race. After a few moments, she pulls away and turns her back to me, as she does so I gently grab her by the wrist, she stops in her tracks and with a gentle pull, turns to face me.

I place my right hand on her cheek, caressing her cheek bone softly with my thumb, as Shizune leans into my palm and takes a deep breath she closes her eyes for a moment before meeting my gaze, now staring back at her with the same desire.
This time before either of us can lose our nerve again I begin to lean in for a kiss, Shizune does the same meeting me half way. As our lips lock the whole world seems to melt away, it's just us, floating in our own universe where nothing else matters. It's just a simple kiss, but it lasts for what seems like a long time, but not long enough.

As we break the kiss, we stare into each others' eyes once more, the same look of passion as before. This time Shizune throws her arms around my neck, my arms around her waist as she pulls me in for another kiss, this time longer than the last.

We then sink to the ground, Shizune sitting in between my legs, leaning back against me, my arms around her waist.

“I love you, Shizune.” I whisper into the cool night air, knowing full well she can't hear me. But it still feels good to say it out loud.

Seeming to have read my mind, Shizune turns around, and places another quick kiss on my lips before interlocking our fingers once more and resting her head on my chest, eyes closed with a look of peace and calming aura about her.
Last edited by Acerus on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completion: 100%

Lilly:       Completed
Emi:        Completed
Hanako:  Completed
Shizune: Completed
Rin:         Completed
Lothbrok

Re: When Stars Embrace (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Post by Lothbrok »

I feel kinda bad asking this but could you please post it in here because I lost my google account :oops: and I'm very interested in this story!
Acerus

Re: When Stars Embrace (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Post by Acerus »

Lothbrok wrote:I feel kinda bad asking this but could you please post it in here because I lost my google account :oops: and I'm very interested in this story!
Sure, I'll edit the main post in a few hours. I'm in the process of retooling some things that I'm not happy with.
Completion: 100%

Lilly:       Completed
Emi:        Completed
Hanako:  Completed
Shizune: Completed
Rin:         Completed