Experiment: Giving characters alternative disabilities

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Yuurei

Re: Experiment: Giving characters alternative disabilities

Post by Yuurei »

Minister of Gloom wrote: Lilly is difficult for me. According to the pattern she needs some sort of clearly visible deformity that should repulse at least some people. It also needs to be something she had from birth (just like her blindness in the canon timeline). Now, there are tons of birth conditions out there that can make you look absolutely ghoulish, but (and call me a horrible person for saying it, because I certainly feel like one) I really have a hard time imagining a Lilly who isn't beutiful :oops:. So I am currently looking for something that would make her less pretty, but not monstrous. I am stuck. Friends have suggested, among other, far worse ideas, Gigantism (which I don't think will have enough impact since, comparing to all the other, Japanese characters, she is already a giant...) and Albinism (which might be nice if the thought of it didn't make my brain do an emergency shut-down every time due to being filled with traumatic images of Illyasviel von Einzbern). thoughts?
For me, Lilly isn't the repulsing type. I see her blind (like she's now) or with a cancer -it's better than Misha.
Anyway, something who can be seen? Mmh, she could have a congenital deformation, like the loss of some fingers in a hand. Or be albina like your friends suggested, it isn't something repulsing and I love them but it's very visible yeah.
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

Yuurei wrote:For me, Lilly isn't the repulsing type. I see her blind (like she's now) or with a cancer -it's better than Misha.
Anyway, something who can be seen? Mmh, she could have a congenital deformation, like the loss of some fingers in a hand. Or be albina like your friends suggested, it isn't something repulsing and I love them but it's very visible yeah.
Do you mean albino?

But yeah, it would be very visible, not many people have white hair or red at that age after all, well if you mean full (full name 'Oculocutaneous' is way to annoying to use and there is four types of it too) albinism and not ocular albinism (eyes only).
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Yuurei

Post by Yuurei »

Yes, "albino". I accidentally use "albina" like the italian female noun.
And I also mean full albinism, only eyes aren't so scary at all. Maybe OCA1b TS.
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Very well, I see how it can be a good idea. Oculocutaneous albinism would be very visible, and while she would still be beautiful, there would be a certain "disturbing" quality to her appearance that cannot be ignored, just like with Hanako's scars. It would also mean that her personality has a higher chance of being similar to her canon one. People have suggested that a lot of her behavior (the slow, calm, drink tea and read book kind of personality) stems from the fact that blind people should not move quickly. And someone with such a degree of albinism would have to really watch out for the sun, which means not leaving her house much as a child, which could, theoretically, lead to the development of a similar personality...
Oh, and it might give us an excuse to see Lilly in glasses. (if this would be the case, I think I'll fix Shizune's vision instead. The Law of the Conservation of Meganekko demands it)
further thoughts on the subject?
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.

Post by Guest »

Minister of Gloom wrote:EDIT: back to the subject of the thread, then: what say you about a replacement of Lilly and Shizune's disabilities? As in a deaf Lilly and a blind Shizune. Think the relationship would be the same?
Deaf Lilly would be much the same, but living at a bit faster pace and really good at reading faces and body language. She's as motherly as ever, but now she's the mother you can't ever hide things from.

Blind Shizune would have to change her manipulation techniques, because she wouldn't be able to tell if people are working without asking, and annoyed people might not tell her the truth. Instead, she'd use an Emi-puppy-dog-eye style of manipulation. ("You didn't get it done? But I trusted y... Never mind. I'm sure you had your reasons." *Sniff*)

They'd probably still be antagonistic, as Lilly would see right through her martyr act.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Guest wrote: Blind Shizune would have to change her manipulation techniques, because she wouldn't be able to tell if people are working without asking, and annoyed people might not tell her the truth. Instead, she'd use an Emi-puppy-dog-eye style of manipulation. ("You didn't get it done? But I trusted y... Never mind. I'm sure you had your reasons." *Sniff*)

They'd probably still be antagonistic, as Lilly would see right through her martyr act.
I would think blind Shizune would have like a network of informants to be her eyes. I don't know if she would still be friends with Misha. She'd probably be even creepier and yandere with the WAHAHA and the burn scarring and the whatnot.
Minister of Gloom

What about alternative disabilities for Hisao? The heart problem he has now is obviously highly symbolic (heart-love), but what kind of character do you think a blind Hisao would be, or an armless one? Or some other problem that isn't even in the game?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Minister of Gloom wrote:What about alternative disabilities for Hisao? The heart problem he has now is obviously highly symbolic (heart-love), but what kind of character do you think a blind Hisao would be, or an armless one?
Now let's think here for a moment. A blind Hisao being the PoV character in a VN. Well, that certianly saves a lot of time. :wink:
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Minister of Gloom

neumanproductions wrote:
Minister of Gloom wrote:What about alternative disabilities for Hisao? The heart problem he has now is obviously highly symbolic (heart-love), but what kind of character do you think a blind Hisao would be, or an armless one?
Now let's think here for a moment. A blind Hisao being the PoV character in a VN. Well, that certianly saves a lot of time. :wink:
It could be the world's first "hearing-touch-smell-taste novel".
Oh, I just thought about the implications :shock:
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

The sex-scenes with Shizune would be epic.
Yuurei

Post by Yuurei »

Giving Hisao alternative disabilities would be a little problem. I mean, something like deafness of blindness are automatically excluded -well, a deaf Hisao would probably make Misha look more nice-, and what about an armless/legless one? In the first case Rin is discarded and in the second is discarded Emi instead. Don't say that Rin could use her foots to help you, it gives to Hisao a terrible fetish. :)
Scars or internal problems are surely better, but why trying hard to find one? Arhythmia's so convenient.
Last edited by Yuurei on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Yuurei wrote:and what about an harmless/legless one?
I like my Hisao Harmless without legs as well. All the easier to boss around. I guess that makes sense when I dictate where his life goes.
Yuurei wrote:Don't say that Rin could use her foots to help you, it gives to Hisao a terrible fetish. :)
They could have the best footsies they could have ever imagined if you had an Armless Hisao in this case. Although it would be quite cumbersome to imagine how those H-scenes would play out.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Yuurei

Post by Yuurei »

neumanproductions wrote:I like my Hisao Harmless without legs as well. All the easier to boss around. I guess that makes sense when I dictate where his life goes.
Damn me, I wanted to say armless without "h". It's the second little thing I mistake in less than a month. Oh, and both in this thread.
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

Minister of Gloom wrote: Lilly is difficult for me. According to the pattern she needs some sort of clearly visible deformity that should repulse at least some people. It also needs to be something she had from birth (just like her blindness in the canon timeline). Now, there are tons of birth conditions out there that can make you look absolutely ghoulish, but (and call me a horrible person for saying it, because I certainly feel like one) I really have a hard time imagining a Lilly who isn't beutiful :oops:. So I am currently looking for something that would make her less pretty, but not monstrous. I am stuck. Friends have suggested, among other, far worse ideas, Gigantism (which I don't think will have enough impact since, comparing to all the other, Japanese characters, she is already a giant...) and Albinism (which might be nice if the thought of it didn't make my brain do an emergency shut-down every time due to being filled with traumatic images of Illyasviel von Einzbern). thoughts?

Rin is far more problematic, and I'm sure you see why. She will have arms but no legs due to a generic birth defect. Now for the problem: I can't have her painting, can I? Half the beauty of her character (well, maybe a fifth) is the fact that she can so easily and naturally do something that we can't even imagine doing (I mean... drawing with your feet.). But It's not as wonderful and magical to see someone drawing with their hands, isn't it? But I still need her to be an artist, because she has that kind of personality (technically I could also make her a mathematician, because she would defiantly fit that role, too, but I am afraid that I don't know nearly enough mathematics to make her believable... plus, you don't need your feet for that). But what kinds of art are there that use the feet far more than the hands? I can't use something like dancing because that's kind of like on the border between art and sport, and that would be like stealing Emi's "thing"... can you think of something?
I realize that this is fairly late to reply, but I still wanted to participate. How about Lilly with scleroderma? The localized type creates a peculiar looking face that looks more like porcelain than skin. It also prevents a great deal of wrinkles.

As for Rin, why not make her a performance artist, or otherwise into the avant guard? Alternatively, you can make her a weaver. Those floor looms require both hands and foot pedals to operate.
Minister of Gloom

Lilly has already been written as an albino in one short scene. Then again, we are talking about alternate universes here. Everything is possible.
As for Rin being an actor... that's actually really good! The whole modern "theater of the absurd" thing, and those hilarious improvisation shows. That's so awesome. And an actor without legs would be an interesting sight. Very good idea.