Just a quick cover of an in-game music

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

ZystraL

Re: Just a quick cover of an in-game music

Post by ZystraL »

Agreed. This is very nice.
request thyme: Romance In Andante please. It's the final credits song.
on another note, I was downloading Generic Happy Music whilst typing this and halfway through I forgot I had my headphones unplugged and my PC at max volume and this exploded at me. Nice job though how it just suddenly starts.

You use FL Studio for these, right? May I ask which version? Also, either you're very musically gifted or you've been imporing these and editing them.

Good job as always though.
I enjoy everything the devs hate. This includes and is not limited to: Pokemon, K-ON! and Lego.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Thanks, but I'm not gifted at all, have been fiddling with music programs since forever. I just "play" by ear.
Might try Romance in Andante, but being originally a solo piano piece I might end up changing it quite a bit.
Using FL Studio 8.5 Beta 5 right now.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Really like the accompaniment, but why bagpipes? At least humanize them and make them sound like how bagpipes are actually played. They' blatantly sound like you played them on a keyboard with synths. If you want to use something other than strings for the melody, perhaps a flute or sax would work?
静音是买外夫
Juno

Post by Juno »

I chose bagpipes (again) as I could have chosen anything else.
And yes, I made no effort on humanizing them (like I knew how to! :lol:) which is something that would have happened with a flute or a sax as well.
ZystraL

Post by ZystraL »

Personally I like how you pulled off the bagpipes in GHM, although they were a tad overbearing.
The Student Council I think could have done with perhaps a...less brash instrument. Such as the stringed instrument they use in this would have been suitable I think.

Of course, if you don't want to use a stringed instrument, I think perhaps tuned percussion would have been nice.
I enjoy everything the devs hate. This includes and is not limited to: Pokemon, K-ON! and Lego.
Juno

Post by Juno »

ZystraL wrote:Personally I like how you pulled off the bagpipes in GHM
Huh? Only Afternoon and this one had bagpipes. I corrected the former's volume so I might post it sometime.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Bagpipes in particular have a very legato sound where notes tend to bleed into each other a lot, and the sounds start blending between notes due to the reservoir of air. Your usage of them at 1:09 were done a lot better now that I listen again, but that's because they're mostly playing the same notes, so you naturally have this blending that I'm talking about.

As for humanizing, you'll have to edit each note by hand. Musician's aren't robots. We can't always play a note exactly on time and on rhythm. Basically, no quantization of sound. Go in there and make each note a little messier, have some start a tad early or late, or have some be held a little longer or shorter than it should be. It's tedious work, but it adds a lot to the music.

Disclaimer: While I'm not a digital composer myself, I spend enough time lurking in the Music Development forums for The Battle for Wesnoth to get a general idea.
静音是买外夫
Juno

Post by Juno »

Romance in Andante.
I guess it didn't change that much, but the feeling is different.
ZystraL

Post by ZystraL »

The feeling is very different. That little noise you added to the background gave it more of a texture and made it seem...brighter, for lack of a better word. You also removed the reverb on the piano, which I think wasn't that great an idea. Also, I listen to it and get the feeling that while you added some extra bars you've missed about 2 in the middle/end where it goes slow and silent except for a few chords on the upper side of the stave.

It's well done, but not what I was expecting to put it simply. =]
Hyperiant

Post by Hyperiant »

Passing of Time is my absolute favorite so far. Not to say that all of these aren't spectacularly amazing, gawd, I sound like a fanboy but this one stands out because of its dramatic overtones, and it has a nice twinkling melody. I'm a sucker for music boxes. It's a very well-balanced song in general.

Your expertise at FL Studio is also surprising, and not just because I'm absolutely horrible at it.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Juno wrote:Romance in Andante.
I cannot help myself to find some traces of Christmas songs in this "cover" version.

The instruments give it a feeling like some Christmas carol and I was astonished to hear what could be done to this rather normal piece of music. It's not bad, but I was not expecting this.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Romance in Andante: Doesn't have the poignant finish like the ending credits in the demo, but still faithful. And yeah, I second Deimos on the bells giving a Christmas like feel to it.

Rain: Somber and dispiriting as I remember from the demo. Nice work
Imagine me and you...
Pooh-Bah

Post by Pooh-Bah »

This should continue.
"The Lord-High Everything Else"
Juno

Post by Juno »

After seeing...
[shimmie]1198[/shimmie]