Birthday!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pyramid Head

Re: Birthday!

Post by Pyramid Head »

bhtooefr wrote:During Act 1?

Act 1 was released in 2009, for what it's worth.
Nothing. No matter which arc you chose, Katawa Shoujo all happened in the same year. We just don't know which one since there are a couple of viable options. I suppose i could try looking up the pop culture references to see if it made a reference to something that came out after 2007...
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Atario

Post by Atario »

NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
brythain

Post by brythain »

Since Hanako's birthday, 10 July, falls on a Tuesday that year, it must be either 2007 or 2012. Given the tech levels and other indicators (see research summary here), it's certainly 2007 when Hisao starts school at Yamaku, and 2008 when he graduates (since they graduate in March).
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Not only that, but Hanako and Hisao's phone model has a one-line external display.

One line.

Let's put that in perspective, shall we?

I had a Sanyo MM-8300 that I got in February 2006, and it came out in June 2005 or so. It was considered a fairly high-end phone at launch, but that's by American standards, not Japanese standards. It had a 72x72 pixel 16 bpp external display.

Hell, I'd almost say that their phones might place it in 2001, but I don't think external displays were a thing back then.

Edit: Here's the image of Hanako's phone:

bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:Hell, I'd almost say that their phones might place it in 2001, but I don't think external displays were a thing back then.
Yeah, the phone graphics are a bit inconsistent. You're right: 2001 is too early, 2012 too late. No choice left, considering the textual day/date material—it's Monday 4 June 2007 when Hisao lands at Yamaku. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

I did a little digging. It turns out there WERE references to items which came out after the date Aura suggested. Sorry, but referencing Umineko no Naku Koro Ni and season two of Code Geass means your story takes place in 2012. And before anyone points out that even good writers and filmmakers have anachronisms, i--

Okay, a thought just occurred to me. Why am i so insistent on 2012? If it took place in 2007, that means Hanako's close to my age. Why am i opposed to that?
Eh fuck it. I still say 2012 because it fits with the dates and references. And because last time an item insisted on a certain date regardless of Valve time we got fucking WATCH_DOGS.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Pyramid Head wrote:I did a little digging. It turns out there WERE references to items which came out after the date Aura suggested. Sorry, but referencing Umineko no Naku Koro Ni and season two of Code Geass means your story takes place in 2012.
No, it means the story was written later. It doesn't mean the story was set later. Tsk.

Also, we have Aura saying THIS.
Potato

Post by Potato »

In honor of Hanako's birthday, I made a small coffee-flavored angel food cake (yes, it was dumb symbolism but it was delicious!) with a thin layer of bacon maple icing.

Being a sweet-toothed bastard and also not a loser who instagrams all their fucking food as if anybody gives a single shit god dammit I hate those people - AHEM...So yeah, I ate it without thinking to record the evidence. :lol:
Last edited by Potato on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Also happy birthday Hivemind! You're pretty okay for a real person, and you wrote some stuff that I like.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

^Pretty much what Spunky said. Happy birthday! :D
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

brythain wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:I did a little digging. It turns out there WERE references to items which came out after the date Aura suggested. Sorry, but referencing Umineko no Naku Koro Ni and season two of Code Geass means your story takes place in 2012.
No, it means the story was written later. It doesn't mean the story was set later. Tsk.

Also, we have Aura saying THIS.
When you have more than one writer, the opinion of one writer alone isn't absolute. This is especially important with Hanako because the exact positioning of her scars keeps changing and the stories went through a lot of rewrites.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Aura's post didn't exactly sound like an opinion.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Guest Poster wrote:Aura's post didn't exactly sound like an opinion.
Nothing on the internet sounds like an opinion.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure Aura's post isn't invalid just because every other writer involved didn't pop up to support it as fact.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

does each character(playable girl) have a birthday thread? anyway let's prepare for some Bubblyness on 1st of November!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Kibaro wrote:does each character(playable girl) have a birthday thread? anyway let's prepare for some Bubblyness on 1st of November!
I'm pretty sure they all got combined into this one for simplicity.

And yes, Misha's birthday will be something to celebrate. Let's not get there too fast though, k? I still want to Summer it up right now.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"