Any VNs similar to KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ivan The Mouse

Re: Any VNs similar to KS?

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

Clannad, they said.

Little Sister Kana, they said.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
Ryto

Post by Ryto »

I second the Kana: Little Sister.

That was the VN that introduced me to the feels.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

The problem with comparing Katawa Shoujo to Clannad is that Clannad is like a soap opera, at least when compared to Katawa Shoujo. Yume Miru Kusuri is the closest fit from my experience.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Kana: little sister and Crescendo. The first one hurt even more than KS, the second one is more similar in style to KS, but the story is not as well-written (not to say that it is not good, just not as good).
Yume Miru Kusuri is also not that bad, although a bit too strange for my tastes.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Think of Lilly's route and Hanako mashed into one, rip out their dissabilities, then add 5 bishoujous and a lengthy story and you jst have yourself clannad.
F4RM3RJ03

Post by F4RM3RJ03 »

Yume Miru Kusuri is by far the best VN I've ever played. Even after this. KS is most def in 2nd though haha. Yume Miru has an incredible story and the emotional aspect is a roller coaster. They manage to even blend the hentai, which is more prominent, in a very natural and often emotional way.

Post by Guest »

Clannad is pretty cool if you liked KS's heroines, but it's hella long and I preferred the anime. It's great that the minor characters have their own routes (with the exception of Ryou, who has a good ending in Kyou's route - but it counts as Kyou's bad end, so ...) but still, if one thinks KS is too long, Clannad is one to avoid. Secondly, it can get a bit too saccharine and dramatic, particularly with Nagisa.

I've heard good things about Edelweiss, as well (nsfw link). The hentai, from the look of the CGs, do seem to be more for a fapping purpose but that's to be expected with most adult-content VNs.
nemo

Post by nemo »

I would suggest checking out these two.

Narcissu: One guy made it in Japanese and released for free. Fan translators localized it to a bunch of different languages. The web edition just has lower graphics and music quality to conserve bandwidth. There is a boxed edition. What's neat is that you can play a voiced or unvoiced version of the VN. The story itself is about Yu admitted to the hospital for lung cancer and another girl who is also terminally ill.

Hanbun no Tsuki go Noboru Sora: Not a VN, but a light novel that turned into an anime. There is a 2 volume manga, but from a quick browse of the internet, it doesn't seem to be as good as the other versions. The story's about Yuichi who's in and out of the hospital for his hepatitis A and Rika who's an inpatient there for a heart condition. I didn't find a translation of the VN, but I highly recommend the anime.
MoonShadow

Post by MoonShadow »

Brass Restoration. I've described it here : http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 240#p70764

Oh and another VN pretty similar to KS but way much shorter : Podzim. Sometime called Autumn too.
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.
newnar

Post by newnar »

I heard Cross Channel was good.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:I heard Cross Channel was good.
Err... It's not similar to KS though. I'll just leave it at that.
guestsometingsomething

Post by guestsometingsomething »

Well, i am interested in this too. I just completed all 5 (good) paths of KS, and this got me interested for more.

However, KS was my first VN that i played, so i don't have any clue what to look for. Any suggestion for good VN's?
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

guestsometingsomething wrote:Well, i am interested in this too. I just completed all 5 (good) paths of KS, and this got me interested for more.

However, KS was my first VN that i played, so i don't have any clue what to look for. Any suggestion for good VN's?
You could look through the Recommend a VN thread.

Anyways, like I mentioned in that thread, here's some words of advice.

Among emotional visual novels or nakige, Katawa Shoujo is really weird. Most nakiges rely on plot or atmosphere whereas Katawa Shoujo relies on characterization and realism. Acknowledge that you won't find a VN that's quite like this, and you should be able to enjoy the Visual Novel medium more.
guestsometingsomething

Post by guestsometingsomething »

encrypted12345 wrote:
guestsometingsomething wrote:Well, i am interested in this too. I just completed all 5 (good) paths of KS, and this got me interested for more.

You could look through the Recommend a VN thread.

Anyways, like I mentioned in that thread, here's some words of advice.

Among emotional visual novels or nakige, Katawa Shoujo is really weird. Most nakiges rely on plot or atmosphere whereas Katawa Shoujo relies on characterization and realism. Acknowledge that you won't find a VN that's quite like this, and you should be able to enjoy the Visual Novel medium more.
Thanks! I want to broaden my horizons, so i guess this would be quite interesting.
MrBoomba

Post by MrBoomba »

Even after Lilly becoming my Waifu, I still have to say that KS only holds my #2 slot for all time favorite VN's. Don't get me wrong, it is a close second, but this game is absolutely phenomenal. I played it before it was finally released in America, but I now plan on buying it. The game is called Eien no Aselia, or Eternal Aselia. The game is very long compared to KS, the main route takes around 60 hours to play through (at least it did for me) and it has the best plot I've ever seen in a game ever. It is enriching, thought provoking and puts you in situations where you question if what you are doing is right, if I had to recommend any VN here, it would have to be Eien no Aselia, just because it provokes as much emotion as KS does! It is an action/romance VN, which is also fairly difficult sometimes with its battle strategy, so you may need a guide if you play normal or higher difficulty.