A Wedding with Lilly

WORDS WORDS WORDS

themocaw

A Wedding with Lilly

Post by themocaw »

"How are you liking Scotland, Hisao?" Lilly asks, as she pours me another cup of tea.

"I don't know," I admit. "I was kind of expecting more sheep. And, I dunno. More kilts."

Lilly laughs. I grin at her as I take another bite of some kind of little salmon sandwich on white bread with the crusts cut off. The years have only made her more beautiful: the elegant poise which had so impressed me during our first meeting has matured into a ladylike grace that wouldn't look out of place on a storybook princess. Which reminds me: "I can't believe you're actually getting married in a castle," I say.

"It's the baronial estate of one of Alan's friends," Lilly explains. "He's letting us use it both to have the ceremony, and letting us use the rooms to put up our guests from Japan. He's also loaned us the use of his summer home as a honeymoon gift."

I chuckle at that. "Lilly Satou is moving up in the world. Rubbing elbows with barons and getting married in a castle."

"He's not that important of a baron," Lilly points out, "but we do love him dearly. You'll meet him at the ceremony tomorrow. He's such a dear."

"That's good," I say. I take a deep breath. "I'm glad you've made such good friends here. You've always been so good at that."

"I suppose it might be one of my gifts," Lilly admits. "I've always been good at making new friends." She smiles a bit wanly. "Keeping them. . . has been my problem."

"It was a different time, and we were different people," I admit.

"Yes, I suppose we were." Lilly agrees.

So many words left unspoken.

I loved you so much.

I wish I hadn't let you go.

I missed you so much.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd chased you?

Impossible, of course. Back then, I didn't know how to pursue what I truly wanted, didn't have the fire and determination to grab hold and never let go. It took someone else to teach me that.

There's a slightly odd, yet familiar, thumping sound coming from the hallway outside. I smile just as the door opens and my wife walks in. "Lilly!" Emi says cheerfully. "How are you?"

"Emi, is that you?" Lilly asks. "How was your flight?"

"Not so bad, although some idiot security guy tried to confiscate my legs. I was so damn pissed off. Thankfully, his boss was a bit more reasonable." She gives Lilly a brief hug, then turns to me and gives me a kiss. "Hey there, love."

"Hey there, lover," I reply, returning the kiss. "How was Germany?"

"Boring as hell. It's all politicking anyway, but the conferences weren't bad." She stretches her arms out over her head and sighs. "We the first ones here?"

"Shizune and Misha are already here, but they're spending the day at the beach with my family," Lilly explains. "Hanako's flying in tomorrow morning. Rin had a prior commitment and can't make it, but she sent a very thoughtful gift." Lilly takes down another teacup from the shelf, feeling around carefully for it, and rests it on the small table. She pours another cup of tea for Emi, who graciously accepts.

"Speaking of gifts, thanks so much for sending us that tea set," Emi says. "It's absolutely beautiful."

"I thought you would like it," Lilly says, smiling. "It seemed like something you would like."

"It's fantastic. I've started having the neighbors over, just so I can show it off. They're all green with envy," Emi says, grinning. "They all want to know where they can get one of their own. They always look so disappointed when I tell them where I got mine."

Lilly laughs at that. "Are you still running?" she asks.

"Not competitively, not any more, but I keep in shape as best I can," Emi explains. "I mostly coach nowadays, when I'm not doing therapy with kids. . ."

I lean back in the heavily padded chair and watch my first love and my true love chat amiably with each other: Lilly, who taught me to love, and Emi, who taught me to stand tall. I turn to gaze upon the green hills all around us, and I am content.
Last edited by themocaw on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demoneq

Re: A Wedding with Lilly

Post by Demoneq »

Heh. At first I thought it'd be the obvious Lilly/Hisao thing, and wanted to comment on it as a sort of prequel to Robnonymous' "Reconciliation" story. ;)

I think Emi's pretty well portrayed, with her talking about the security guy at the airport etc. (and the stronger words every now and then ;) )
One thing that hit me as a lil' odd was her and Hisao calling each other 'love'/'lover', but I guess that's because of how that sounds translated into my native language, so it's nothing you should probably care about. :P

Also a question, assuming you plan to continue it, did you make Rin not come, so you can avoid writing her lines and stuff (as it can be tricky, after all), or for some other reason?
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Demoneq wrote:Also a question, assuming you plan to continue it, did you make Rin not come, so you can avoid writing her lines and stuff (as it can be tricky, after all), or for some other reason?
I wanted at least one person to not come. Emi's the wife. Lilly's the bride. Shizune's the cousin, and Misha would come with her. Hanako's the best friend. Rin was the obvious choice.
CNB

Post by CNB »

themocaw wrote:the elegant poise which had so impressed me during our first meeting has matured into a ladylike poise
A little too much poise for one sentence, I think.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

CNB wrote:
themocaw wrote:the elegant poise which had so impressed me during our first meeting has matured into a ladylike poise
A little too much poise for one sentence, I think.
Second poise depoised gracefully with much poise.
CrossRook

Post by CrossRook »

This was my request. I like the way it came out, too. Not what I was expecting. Characters were quite in character though, Emi especially.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

CrossRook wrote:This was my request. I like the way it came out, too. Not what I was expecting. Characters were quite in character though, Emi especially.
Glad you like it. Sorry it wasn't what you were expecting.

I get a lot of that when I do requests off of /vg/: "I like it, but it wasn't what I was expecting," that is. I wonder what that says about me. Maybe that I'm the type of person who turns a request for a fic about Miki and Emi's first race into a story about landmines and orphans in Cambodia :P
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

themocaw wrote:
CrossRook wrote:This was my request. I like the way it came out, too. Not what I was expecting. Characters were quite in character though, Emi especially.

I get a lot of that when I do requests off of /vg/: "I like it, but it wasn't what I was expecting," that is. I wonder what that says about me. Maybe that I'm the type of person who turns a request for a fic about Miki and Emi's first race into a story about landmines and orphans in Cambodia :P
Wait, what? Okay, that's a story I gotta read. Is it here somewhere?
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Bagheera wrote:
themocaw wrote:

Wait, what? Okay, that's a story I gotta read. Is it here somewhere?
It was pastebinned as a /v/ request. I've got it somewhere, i'll post it if I can find it.

As a preview, it was entitled, "Whatever. Fuck it. I'm done."

Edit: And here it is. Warning: Miki in Name Only.